Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] $300,000 Zr1 ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default $300,000 Zr1 ?!?

Are they nuts? This is what a dealer in AZ just advised me when I asked about ZR1 pricing:

Honestly, we're expecting the first one to bring upwards of $300,000 although that remains to be seen. We're only getting four (and that's the most of anyone in the state) so we've decided that the least we'll let them go for is $199,995 (we're expecting sticker to be around $125,000). That's a lot of dough, eh?!
If this is true, and GM doesn't increase production numbers, there shouldn't be any impact on Z06 values.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:27 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a "tone" in what the dealer said to you that really sounds negative to me. I think the ZR1 might end up being a mistake if the way dealers handle it turns out to aggravate too many potential buyers.

ZR1s might increase Z06 sales as a result of some who can't afford or get the ZR1 going to the Z06. However, if it's ZR1 status and performance the buyer wants I don't think a Z06 will satisfy any more than a standard vette ( fast as it is ) will satisfy a Z06 craver for long.

all good cars....but , mark my words, some of those who buy ZR1 are just going to be doing it for status. They might care nothing for the car or the name Corvette OR for that matter any other "lowly" Z06 or regular C6 owners.

In other words, sighting a ZR1 will be rare enough but getting a wave from one might prove impossible.

just my opinions

the only good thing about how snotty the dealers , some dealers , may be about selling the ZR1 is that they have had to discount the standard C6 a lot and , most likely, they will all have to sell remaining 08 Z06s at much off msrp eventually.......after they finally give up profiteering on them.....( jeffhardy now 1240 )
Old 02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Price gouging (aka profiteering) is when you seriously over charge people for a NECESSITY. An example would be "here comes a hurricane and if you want lumber to board up the windows on your house you're going to pay me 10X the normal price or lose your house". A new Corvette (no matter how desireable it may be) is not a neccesity. So, by definition, it's not price gouging to charge whatever a dealer thinks he can get for it. It's capitalism. If there is a buyer for it at $300k then he was right to price it that way.

Just because it's priced out of YOUR range (and mine) that doesn't make the seller a bad guy. It makes him a businessman. That's why the dealers are dealers

Z//
Old 02-09-2008, 04:52 PM
WFO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's another reminder of why our very own sweet Z06's are just the ticket now doesn't it?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:27 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

This ZR1 is heading down the same path as the last one.

Its got "marketing flop" written all over it.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:50 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Are they nuts? This is what a dealer in AZ just advised me when I asked about ZR1 pricing:

If this is true, and GM doesn't increase production numbers, there shouldn't be any impact on Z06 values.
Part of me hopes you're right. In which case I win the ZR-1 MSRP pool.

Most of me is sad. I won't pay those numbers because I think that IS a Rip for sure. Watch guys bail on that one in droves. Even those of us who can afford it won't. You can just take a salami so far up you know.

Whatever. Just wait six months or so when guys go coyote to sell them off.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:57 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Hmmm.... Seventy grand for a Z06 or, three hundred thousand for a Z06 with a blower and a see through hood. Not hard to figure THAT one out....
Old 02-09-2008, 06:40 PM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I agree.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:04 PM
NKRZ06
Instructor

Location: Moncton, NB Canada.This Z06 is my very first Vette!!

Old 02-09-2008, 07:22 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
This ZR1 is heading down the same path as the last one.

Its got "marketing flop" written all over it.
dealer prices can be adjusted instantly so I doubt they will have a problem with sales.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:26 PM
HamsHall
Instructor

ZR1 buyer is not a ZO6 buyer. 18,000 units vs 2000
Old 02-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

GM is limiting the dealer markups, from what I hear, but expect 125M.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HamsHall
ZR1 buyer is not a ZO6 buyer. 18,000 units vs 2000
I disagree, I think that is exactly who will buy them! Unless you have never seen one in person or are just Corvette **** and wouldn't buy anything else I don't think you will be that impressed with the ZR1. I mean besides a nice set of brakes, a supercharger on a smaller motor and a few scoops what are you getting? When it comes to Exotic its not even in the same league as the Ford GT and that car only brought 50 to 100k over in its inception and shortly thereafter (6 months) I bought mine for 14k under msrp and that was in a booming economy over 3 years ago. Not only that the Z06 looks better (cleaner), has a 427 and is way cheaper! I mean how much faster can the ZR1 be? if at all? I saw the ZR1 in person they sold at Barrett Jackson and the car just wasn't very pretty, basically looked like a Z06 with a couple of extra scoops and a gimicky hood. I agree with whoever made the comparison to the first ZR1's back in the early 90's except those cars were way faster and more exoctic than the standard vette was back then and after about 6 months of gouging they were discounting them 30%. Be patient if you want a ZR1 there will be deals! Look at the 600 hp Viper they are already discounting those.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:54 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Price gouging (aka profiteering) is when you seriously over charge people for a NECESSITY. An example would be "here comes a hurricane and if you want lumber to board up the windows on your house you're going to pay me 10X the normal price or lose your house". A new Corvette (no matter how desireable it may be) is not a neccesity. So, by definition, it's not price gouging to charge whatever a dealer thinks he can get for it. It's capitalism. If there is a buyer for it at $300k then he was right to price it that way.

Just because it's priced out of YOUR range (and mine) that doesn't make the seller a bad guy. It makes him a businessman. That's why the dealers are dealers

Z//
But when a dealer starts a Msrp list to the corvetteforum members they should honor it! Not like Maxie Price did shafted over 100 corvetteforum members for EXTRA $$$$$
Let the frenzy begin! This time I will wait for the dust to settle!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 PM
RENNtech
Racer

If you all remember, back in late 05' and early 06' most dealers were
asking much more than the msrp of $68K for the Z. I even saw a few
asking as much as $125,000. . .

So, $300K for a ZR1, I don't doubt it a bit. It makes $200K seem like a
real steal. . .

JJ
Old 02-09-2008, 09:06 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Imho the ZR1 isn't going to be better than the Z06, just different. These goofballs that are going to go out & pay ridiculous prices are just that, goofballs. The ZR1 isn't going to be that different from an LPE or Callaway with a Maggie or the the new TVS supercharger that's coming out, & the price will be a lot cheaper & comes in a see thru/ removable roof, vert , or an auto which the ZR1 doesn't offer.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Imho the ZR1 isn't going to be better than the Z06, just different. These goofballs that are going to go out & pay ridiculous prices are just that, goofballs. The ZR1 isn't going to be that different from an LPE or Callaway with a Maggie or the the new TVS supercharger that's coming out, & the price will be a lot cheaper & comes in a see thru/ removable roof, vert , or an auto which the ZR1 doesn't offer.
yes I think GM went out to impress the world with the car to have it the same or worse than a Z06. You can nver compare a modded car to an OEM two different worlds.

Get notified of new replies

To $300,000 Zr1 ?!?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by curvesman
But when a dealer starts a Msrp list to the corvetteforum members they should honor it! Not like Maxie Price did shafted over 100 corvetteforum members for EXTRA $$$$$
Let the frenzy begin! This time I will wait for the dust to settle!
That's not a "but", though. That's a totally different issue called "keeping one's word" But then we _are_ talking about car dealers...

I, too, will wait for the dust to settle. I figure the 2011 ZR1 will be (a) ironed out and (b) at MSRP (or only a tick over,) at which time it will (maybe) seem a reasonable thing to do.

Z//
Old 02-09-2008, 10:57 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:06 PM
bigmike32172
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 54 Posts

Yup! I heard this at Van Chevrolet in N Scottsdale when I was there tonight chatting with some of the sales guys there that I'm friends with.
I told them flat out, that even if they sold me the car at invoice I wouldn't buy it. All it is is a Z06 with a S/C on it and a piece of lexan from Home Depot cut in the hood.
I'll stick with my 08 Z06 and my 97 Viper, and if all else fails I'd go out and buy the new ACR Viper which will hand the new ZR1 its *** if you S/C it.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] $300,000 Zr1 ?!?