Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Very very disappointed...please comment

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:53 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michrider
The dealer that did the work definately knew about it. The dealer that sold it to you should have known about it. The GM computer system (VIS) that shows all the vehicle information shows all the warranty claims to every dealer that looks up that VIN. They are required to check VIS before selling a vehicle to make sure there are no recalls.
When I worked at a dealer, we checked every vehicle on VIS, new or used. They either knew about it or should have known about it.

The other thing that is odd, is a brand new car normally doesn't get major engine work done. Normally they replace the complete engine with an exchange assembly from the plant. That way it is still a new car with a new engine, and the plant gets the engine back complete to determine what was wrong. Back in 06 the LS7 was on exchange, so I don't know why they would have fixed that one. It should have been a complete exchange.
A complete exchange would have entailed a new engine number which would no longer match the VIN. Which is worse?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by robvuk
A complete exchange would have entailed a new engine number which would no longer match the VIN. Which is worse?
Where is the engine S/N located on the engine and paperwork..I'd like to verify it has not been changed..
Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GPChase
Where is the engine S/N located on the engine and paperwork..I'd like to verify it has not been changed..
The engine wasn't changed.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Nanook
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by GMautotech
The engine wasn't changed.
Thanks Dave
Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Z06pack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain. New means new. I lived in Edmonton most of my life and the alocations for Z06 corvettes is very low. I suspect a dealer would take any z offered in a dealer transfer. I suspect that the Halifax dealer was happy to see it go out of province.....and out of mind.
I think however you may want to get the straight goods as a future carfax may hurt your resale. Pull a carfax to see if it shows up and if not, then enjoy the car and the great warranty. Keep in mind however that your mods may affect your coverage.
Where did you get the service report in your first post?
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Wow !
Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Nanook
Support Corvetteforum!

Default VIS reports

For all of you interested in info on your car (VIS) please refer to post #83.
Should this kind gentleman be interested in entertaining your request so be it.
I don't wish to overburden him by referring him specifically so shoudl he choose to entertain your requests have at her.

Just be on notice you may NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND
Old 01-31-2008, 07:55 PM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GP, I am gonna stay away from the legal aspect, I don't know jack there....but..I could change that piston/rod in 4hrs or less and u would NEVER know I was there. Can u check to see what parts were billed out on the job? Many things are needed, not just fluids and gaskets....if there are no head bolts on the parts ticket... This job is NOT for the average GM tech, and not every dealer has someone who can do this w/o YOUR car being the "test" for some wrench-monkey
Old 01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Nanook
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by J HEBERT
GP, I am gonna stay away from the legal aspect, I don't know jack there....but..I could change that piston/rod in 4hrs or less and u would NEVER know I was there. Can u check to see what parts were billed out on the job? Many things are needed, not just fluids and gaskets....if there are no head bolts on the parts ticket... This job is NOT for the average GM tech, and not every dealer has someone who can do this w/o YOUR car being the "test" for some wrench-monkey
i appreciate your comments....not certain if any of the repair info can be accessed..by me. I suspect you're implying when the head bolds are initally torqued (stretched) they're garbage and should (must) be replaced?
My car is under cover right now and access to the engine bay is not an option (to inspect the heads/bolts) but funny I did notice scuff marks on the top of the passenger fender after I bought the car and had the dealer buff out before I took delivery...clues of the crime ????????
Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Axl Jack
Racer

For $500 bucks I'm sure you could have a lawyer go in with you for an hour (or two) one afternoon. Having a lawyer on your side BEFORE ANY AGREEMENT is made will only benefit your pocket.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Nanook
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Carfax Report

states nothing what so ever of the incident
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Nanook
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Axl Jack
For $500 bucks I'm sure you could have a lawyer go in with you for an hour (or two) one afternoon. Having a lawyer on your side BEFORE ANY AGREEMENT is made will only benefit your pocket.
I already spoke to my lawyer ( and a great friend at that). He suggested the courts would find difficulty siding with any claim I may present. Unless I can prove negligence or loss what can I claim for ?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:11 PM
J HEBERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GPChase
i appreciate your comments....not certain if any of the repair info can be accessed..by me. I suspect you're implying when the head bolds are initally torqued (stretched) they're garbage and should (must) be replaced?
My car is under cover right now and access to the engine bay is not an option (to inspect the heads/bolts) but funny I did notice scuff marks on the top of the passenger fender after I bought the car and had the dealer buff out before I took delivery...clues of the crime ????????
exactly.....and clues....yea, AFTER u realize there IS a crime, clues are EVERYWHERE, u can't help but trip over them, just ask a detective
Old 01-31-2008, 09:33 PM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Did they even replace the parts or did they just bill GM for the repair to cover some other cost ?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:53 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i think you are in a tizzy over nothing....pdi is to make sure the vehicle is 100%....items that are not correct get corrected ....the dealer charges gm for the repairs...a car that has needed repairs done is still new...a piston/rod change on the z is a walk in the park.....i know many who are not technicans will say what are you crazy!...but the reality is that repair was nothing more than a nut and bolt operation...and disassemble and reassemble replacing a defective component...you still have the same warranty and if something goes wrong it will be covered...

it really is a NO BIGGY to anyone experienced with dealership operations...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:06 PM
winemeup911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Painrace
Send it ti Katech. They will fix it.
Ding! Ding! We have a winner on the 54th post!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Nanook
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by winemeup911
Ding! Ding! We have a winner on the 54th post!
Yeah but it's like 3000 miles from here

Get notified of new replies

To Very very disappointed...please comment

Old 01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
wannagofast
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that man, I bought a 2007 LB from the same dealership and I am pretty sure I looked at your car many times before you bought it and yes under the hood. It most definitely looked new to me, one thing to think of is you do have warranty and if you have revved it to 7200 rpm x amount a times and it has not blown up yet, you probley have nothing to worry about. My car had 17 miles on it and I was not impressed about that, a young salesman told me that they get to pick the cars up from the railyard and drive them back to the dealership. When I bought my 2002 C5Z it had 1.6 miles on it and was covered in shrinkwrap and big foam bumbers all over it.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:01 AM
BobG
Race Director

Received 3,572 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
i think you are in a tizzy over nothing....pdi is to make sure the vehicle is 100%....items that are not correct get corrected ....the dealer charges gm for the repairs...a car that has needed repairs done is still new...a piston/rod change on the z is a walk in the park.....i know many who are not technicans will say what are you crazy!...but the reality is that repair was nothing more than a nut and bolt operation...and disassemble and reassemble replacing a defective component...you still have the same warranty and if something goes wrong it will be covered...

it really is a NO BIGGY to anyone experienced with dealership operations...
Personally, I have to agree with the OP, it would be a HUGE "biggy" to me if my $60-70K car had such a repair before I signed on the dotted line, and spent an immediate $10-12K in depreciation as I drove off the lot. Why? Because changing a rod and piston is not a simple operation. And most importantly, while there are some professional, well trained, competent mechanics who work in a Chevy dealer, my experience is these are few and far between.

I'm sure those few "good" mechanics would find this a "nut and bolt" operation, and the repair would be no biggie. But, the odds really favor that some monkey who was trying to do the job in 1/4 book time at a reduced hourly rate for warranty work cut every corner possible just to get the job out of the way, and get back to the oil change bay where they can make some easy money. And I sure wouldn't want to chance having my motor that was hand assembled by well trained people being operated on by the first person in the service dept who needed something to do.

As a new car buyer, I'd sure want to know that fact before I made my purchase decision. As a used car buyer, if the car had 30 or 40 thousand trouble free miles, AND the engine showed little to no evidence that Grog had been there, I wouldn't consider that in my purchase decision. And 30 years from now, if I were looking for a "collector" car, I'd be happy that the original engine had not been exchanged. Since the OP bought the car new, I can certainly understand this being an issue..With all the new cars available, personally, if I knew circumstances before I signed on the line, I'd have moved on to the next one. And I think honestly, the vast majority of those who read this forum would do the exact same thing.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:06 PM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Just get the extended warranty and drive the crap out of it Good luck

Quick Reply: [Z06] Very very disappointed...please comment