Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Is the ZR1 a bargain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:36 PM
SpeedsterC6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the ZR1 a bargain?

Is the ZR1 a bargain? Almost everyone concludes “yes, the ZR1 is a bargain, because any other car with similar performance will cost you far more money.” I agree any other car with similar performance will cost more money. But I still don’t think the ZR1 is a bargain. Just because the ZR1 costs less than other cars with similar performance doesn’t make it a good value in my thinking.

The problem I have with the value of a ZR1 is that it’s still a Corvette. And you can buy a new Corvette for $40,000. Awesome car – don’t get me wrong – but I’m having a tough time understanding how a $100,000 Corvette is a bargain when you can get a base Corvette for 40% of the cost.

Let’s take a Ferrari F430 on the other hand. Those are what? Close to $200,000? But in my thinking, that’s a better value than the ZR1. The 430 has a unique look, sound, and personality. You can’t get a “bargain” 430 for $40k or even $80k. If you want a new 430, you gotta pay $200,000.

I’m not trying to start a flame war. No doubt that anyone who buys a ZR1 will have all kinds of fun with it. I’m just explaining that I’m finding the ZR1 to be overpriced simply because the base coupe is so inexpensive. Any other thoughts?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:27 PM
mattkilla97whitec5
Instructor

It is a bargain for a supercar. the c6 aint no supercar, its nice but it aint no 911 killer supercar that kicks butt around the track. the c6 and zr1 are very different cars. from the frame to the engine to the oil system to the brakes to the suspension, wheels, etc....the list goes on and on....and on. gm is not building a European car, they are building a track corvette, that has a personality all on its own. The zr1 is not overpriced. as some people have stated a new fully loaded z06 is 82k. and for what they do with the extra 18k for the zr1 is remarkable. its like your comparing a Boxster to a 911 gt3. and like so many have said, its not just about the best bang for the buck for the performance, its about the car.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:51 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I could begin to price out the differences, and then you'd realize, you could indeed buy 3 base C6's for the cost.
So that alone makes it a bargain in its own right.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 890 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedsterC6
Is the ZR1 a bargain? Almost everyone concludes “yes, the ZR1 is a bargain, because any other car with similar performance will cost you far more money.” I agree any other car with similar performance will cost more money. But I still don’t think the ZR1 is a bargain. Just because the ZR1 costs less than other cars with similar performance doesn’t make it a good value in my thinking.

The problem I have with the value of a ZR1 is that it’s still a Corvette. And you can buy a new Corvette for $40,000. Awesome car – don’t get me wrong – but I’m having a tough time understanding how a $100,000 Corvette is a bargain when you can get a base Corvette for 40% of the cost.

Let’s take a Ferrari F430 on the other hand. Those are what? Close to $200,000? But in my thinking, that’s a better value than the ZR1. The 430 has a unique look, sound, and personality. You can’t get a “bargain” 430 for $40k or even $80k. If you want a new 430, you gotta pay $200,000.

I’m not trying to start a flame war. No doubt that anyone who buys a ZR1 will have all kinds of fun with it. I’m just explaining that I’m finding the ZR1 to be overpriced simply because the base coupe is so inexpensive. Any other thoughts?
Your points are relevant and have been debated many times. What makes a car worth the price? First and foremost, how much the buyer values it. After that, it is money, ego, and other objectives, i.e. looks, speed, impressions.

For me, this car is a very close call. I have several cars and limited space. Since I already own a Z-06 I am wrestling with whether to buy a new Maserati Gramturismo or the ZR-1, probably ending up costing about the same. Different cars, but the bottom line is what will the ZR-1 do for me the Z-06 does not?

In my particular case I drive a Ferrari 430 for comfort and pleasure, a Bentley GT to long drives and (yes) ego, and my Z-06 for ("hot rod") fun. I am not sure if 505hp vs 620hp (on the street) will make all that much difference.

Sometimes we both progress and regress. For example the Ferrari Scudaria is faster than a 430 but is so "bare" and "noisy" inside as to eliminate any arguments regarding Ferrari vs Corvette "refinement".

At the end of the day, if we are "bargain" shopping we should probably visit "Yugo.com" (if it stil exists), for few here would see this as an entirely "intellectual" decision. Best
Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 PM
4thGen
Advanced

Wait, you actually brought the base C6 into the equation? The ZR1 is in a completely different class than the C6. How can the ZR1 be a bargain when you can get a C6 for 40% of the cost? Easy: The C6 is no where near the car the ZR1 is.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 PM
droq172
Pro

I can see your point. To an everyday person a Corvette is a Corvette. Now if you are a true Corvette person or at least a person in the know the ZR-1 will be a supercar at a low level supercar price.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 PM
SpeedsterC6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4thGen
Wait, you actually brought the base C6 into the equation? The ZR1 is in a completely different class than the C6. How can the ZR1 be a bargain when you can get a C6 for 40% of the cost? Easy: The C6 is no where near the car the ZR1 is.
And maybe that's my problem. The ZR1 may be in a completely different class than the coupe, but I still view the ZR1 as a spiffed up coupe. That explains it. If I could view the ZR1 as a completely different automobile, I could justify the price. But since I view it as an enhanced coupe, and not a separate car, I struggle with the price tag.

For example, there's the VW Jetta, and the VW Jetta GLI. The GLI costs 20% or 30% more and has a lot more performance enhancements. If the GLI cost more than twice the price of the Jetta, I'd probably struggle with that, too.

But it's late... and I'm getting a little tired and might not make sense anymore...
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

And maybe that's my problem. The ZR1 may be in a completely different class than the coupe, but I still view the ZR1 as a spiffed up coupe. That explains it. If I could view the ZR1 as a completely different automobile, I could justify the price. But since I view it as an enhanced coupe, and not a separate car, I struggle with the price tag.

For example, there's the VW Jetta, and the VW Jetta GLI. The GLI costs 20% or 30% more and has a lot more performance enhancements. If the GLI cost more than twice the price of the Jetta, I'd probably struggle with that, too.

But it's late... and I'm getting a little tired and might not make sense anymore...

Since the number of ZR1's to be built is limited, I'm hoping more people think as you do. The competition for the limited numbers of ZR's will be reduced.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 PM
JBHunter
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

There are 100 million dollar homes and there are 100 thousand dollar homes...
There are 5000 dollar bikes and 50 dollar bikes
There are 10 dollar drinks and 3 dollar drinks
There are 50 dollar cigars and 3 dollar cigars

A bargain is in the eye of each beholder...
The beauty of Chevrolet is that there is a $40 thousand dollar Corvette and ther is a 100 thousand dollar (PLUS) Corvette...
Both are bargains...and both are available for purchase (in the next 6 mos or so for the ZR1)

I would offer this: IF you can afford one, and can find one, and you buy one,...you will be very happy with it...goes for both...the $40 and $100 thousand dollar Corvettes...Hell yes they are a bargain...
Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RBK
Your points are relevant and have been debated many times. What makes a car worth the price? First and foremost, how much the buyer values it. After that, it is money, ego, and other objectives, i.e. looks, speed, impressions.

For me, this car is a very close call. I have several cars and limited space. Since I already own a Z-06 I am wrestling with whether to buy a new Maserati Gramturismo or the ZR-1, probably ending up costing about the same. Different cars, but the bottom line is what will the ZR-1 do for me the Z-06 does not?

In my particular case I drive a Ferrari 430 for comfort and pleasure, a Bentley GT to long drives and (yes) ego, and my Z-06 for ("hot rod") fun. I am not sure if 505hp vs 620hp (on the street) will make all that much difference.

Sometimes we both progress and regress. For example the Ferrari Scudaria is faster than a 430 but is so "bare" and "noisy" inside as to eliminate any arguments regarding Ferrari vs Corvette "refinement".

At the end of the day, if we are "bargain" shopping we should probably visit "Yugo.com" (if it stil exists), for few here would see this as an entirely "intellectual" decision. Best
Well, to a point our observations are similar. Funny, I was just discussing cars today with a colleague and the Bentley GT came up. I told him that after driving one I didn't know if I'd ever be old enough to own one. My choice for a long distance ride is a more mundane device, Touareg V-10 TDI, but don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

My 430 Spyder was definitely a comfort/pleasure/look-at-me-you-don't-have-one device and grew more boring with each mile.

My point is that the first two are interchangeable toys and several different proxies will do.

It's that last one; "hot rod", that will be the most difficult to replace. A well-equipped Z is formidable in that category. I don't wish to start a pi$$ing match with some here, but I have never and would never take a Viper seriously enough. Forget Ford, I track. And I don't really think any of the Euros or Japanese really get "hot rod" even now. I did consider, and drove an AMG Black. Interesting, but not a "hot rod".

So, I really think it's in that spirit that the ZR-1 is The Choice.

Yugos probably aren't really all that bad,Greyhounds cross country probably aren't that bad either...

Old 01-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

This is an easy one.

- If performance is your goal, it is an incredible deal.

- If impressing car enthsiast is important, it is an great deal. Trust me, it had a bigger crowd around the car than Ferrari and Lambo combined in Detroit.

- If impressing the average Joe is your goal, or feeling like a rock star, it is a bad deal. The average person would never know you are driving a 100K car and would easily mistake it for a base Vette, if not a C5 or C4. Yes, the average Joe is that ignorant about cars. They are not like us nutjobs. Go out and spend 40K on a Lotus Elise and people will think you hit the lottery. "OMG!!! You have a Lotus!!! Didn't that guy drive one of those in Pretty Women?"

** But your main point was is it worth 60K more than a base Vette? I would say yes, if you're looking for my first two points above. Let's not forget, a base 911 can be had for what, around 70K? The 911 GT2 cost what, 180K? That would be the best correlation IMHO.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 01-29-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Vette junkie
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 69 Posts

Is a $100.00 bottle of wine 10 times better than a $10.00 bottle of wine? Hell no! Is a ZR1 twice as fast as a base C6? Not even close! Does a ZR1 make you feel twice as good as a Base C6? Maybe! Does the average Vette owner really care? Probably not.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:26 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The ZR1 may be a bargain at MSRP, but its not a bargain at $150K which is what it will sell for to start. I think its important to clarify that.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vette junkie
Is a $100.00 bottle of wine 10 times better than a $10.00 bottle of wine? Hell no! Is a ZR1 twice as fast as a base C6? Not even close! Does a ZR1 make you feel twice as good as a Base C6? Maybe! Does the average Vette owner really care? Probably not.

Bad analogy

Most $10 wines are not drinkable (unless you want the buzz and have nothing more in your pocket). A C6A6 OTOH is drivable.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
The ZR1 may be a bargain at MSRP, but its not a bargain at $150K which is what it will sell for to start. I think its important to clarify that.
Right!

Quick, name any car at even twice the price that stands a chance with it!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
This is an easy one.

- If impressing car enthsiast is important, it is an great deal.

- If impressing the average Joe is your goal, or feeling like a rock star, it is a bad deal.
Originally Posted by JBHunter
There are 100 million dollar homes and there are 100 thousand dollar homes...
There are 5000 dollar bikes and 50 dollar bikes
There are 10 dollar drinks and 3 dollar drinks
There are 50 dollar cigars and 3 dollar cigars

A bargain is in the eye of each beholder...
Just wanted to quote (in slightly trimmed down versions) two really terrific posts!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Kevin93
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 59 Posts

Tell me if I've got this straight... you think the Ferrari is "worth it" at more than double the cost and less power only because there are fewer and since it doesn't have an inexpensive detuned sibling??

Just say you could get a "bargain" F430 at $80k with 400hp, a standard (non-F1) gearbox, and a traditional suspension... that was produced in greater quantity than even Corvettes in general let alone the ZR1. At that point would the Vette win you over at the "premium" sticker, greater power and complexity, relative rarity? What about the base Vette at $40k relative to the similarly-equipped $80k base Ferrari?

All I'm saying is that justifying spending an additional multiple of the average American's yealy income based on production numbers, and not on the merits of the car itself, is pretty difficult for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the ZR1 a bargain?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:20 AM
shawn h.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Corvette's are a BARGAIN!

IMO, the regular C6 should be priced around $60K-$75K(Conv.), the Z06 around $85K-$90K, and the ZR1 around $125K. If you want to compare it to it's closest European competitor the Porsche 911, then I think my estimates are on the low end.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
This is an easy one.

- If impressing car enthsiast is important, it is an great deal. Trust me, it had a bigger crowd around the car than Ferrari and Lambo combined in Detroit.

- If impressing the average Joe is your goal, or feeling like a rock star, it is a bad deal. The average person would never know you are driving a 100K car and would easily mistake it for a base Vette, if not a C5 or C4. Yes, the average Joe is that ignorant about cars. They are not like us nutjobs. Go out and spend 40K on a Lotus Elise and people will think you hit the lottery. "OMG!!! You have a Lotus!!! Didn't that guy drive one of those in Pretty Women?"

** But your main point was is it worth 60K more than a base Vette? I would say yes, if you're looking for my first two points above. Let's not forget, a base 911 can be had for what, around 70K? The 911 GT2 cost what, 180K? That would be the best correlation IMHO.
Genius. Someone who gets it.

The original argument comes down to three indefensible points. First, that the Corvette cannot present value because it is a Corvette (“The problem I have with the value of a ZR1 is that it’s still a Corvette”). So the nature of value has here been reduced to some sort of automotive caste system in which only certain brands are allowed to be considered a value proposition while others, presumably of low automotive birth order, need not apply. This sort of thinking was laughed out of the social order in the civilized world some time ago.

Second, the comparison is then made that a base Corvette can be purchased for less than the cost of a ZR1. Astoundingly, the OP seems to fail to grasp the corresponding and quiet significant differences in performance between the two cars. The 911 analogy was spot on in exposing the weakness of the argument.

Three, value to the original poster, seems to come down to how “unique” you get to feel for $100,000. To that I would agree 100% that it depends on whose opinion you value. The automotive enthusiasts on this forum and others like it can literally tell the difference between a base Vette, Z06 or ZR1 within seconds by touch if blindfolded. They can spot the differences between the multitudinous versions of the 911 from three blocks away. Their respect will be assured because they know chapter and verse what a ZR1 represents technologically and from a performance standpoint.

But if your “social crutch” concept of value revolves around cruising back and forth in front of a Dairy Queen trying to impress the local platinum strumpet then I can fully understand why you don’t get the ZR1's value proposition.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Hawaiian C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin93
Tell me if I've got this straight... you think the Ferrari is "worth it" at more than double the cost and less power only because there are fewer and since it doesn't have an inexpensive detuned sibling??

Just say you could get a "bargain" F430 at $80k with 400hp, a standard (non-F1) gearbox, and a traditional suspension... that was produced in greater quantity than even Corvettes in general let alone the ZR1. At that point would the Vette win you over at the "premium" sticker, greater power and complexity, relative rarity? What about the base Vette at $40k relative to the similarly-equipped $80k base Ferrari?

All I'm saying is that justifying spending an additional multiple of the average American's yealy income based on production numbers, and not on the merits of the car itself, is pretty difficult for me.
In the end a Ferrari is a Ferrari and the Corvette is a Chevy.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Is the ZR1 a bargain?