Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tires what to get

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 AM
AFR VETTE
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires what to get

Im not really a fan of the stock goodyears that came on my 08 Z, and im looking for something to replace them come spring time. I want the stickiest and best cornering tire possible for the street and some track use. My brother is also in the market for some new tires for his bmw M3 with a supercharger. I was looking at the pilot sport cups and the pirelli corsas, but i dont know how well they will hold up on the street and in the wet. Does anyone have any recomendations for which tires to buy?
Thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

You won't get any consensus here or useful info, just "seat of pants" observations and subjective, non-scientific opinions, which will be all over the map. Since you've said your usage is primarily street, there are many here (myself included) who believe that the stock GY F1 EMTs are as "sticky" and corner as well as anything else available for normal street applications. They are also fine for occasional HPDE duty. That's what they use at Spring Mountain, for example.

For the track, there are certainly "stickier" tires, like Hoosier R6s, but you'd be nuts to use those on the street.

Others will disagree, but you won't find any valid techical comparisons pointing to anything better from a high-performance standpoint. Rumor has it that Michelin will offer a version of the ZR1 tire in Z06 sizes, but when they might be available is not yet known.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Rumor has it that Michelin will offer a version of the ZR1 tire in Z06 sizes, but when they might be available is not yet known.

Hopefully by spring because I'll be in the market too.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the Nitto Invo's.

I'm tracking my car tomorrow @ Willow Springs with the Nitto's. I'll have one of the "hot shoes" there drive my car and give his impressions.
I have the QA1's and Pfatty sways on the car.

I'll be @ Spring Mountain in Feb. and can get even more evaluations if you can wait that long.

FWIW, Jason from Katech is going with the Nitto's on his personal car. You could get feedback from him as well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1913776

Old 01-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default For The Street

I am very pleased with Michelin run flats which were installed recently on my 07 Z06. 275/18 & 345/19 on factory wheels.

Cheers

R
Old 01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 393 Likes on 247 Posts

This for the rear~

and this for the front (Pirelli)~

This combo is for track only (but it's good for about 3 seconds a lap @ Fontucky.)
Old 01-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
I am very pleased with Michelin run flats which were installed recently on my 07 Z06. 275/18 & 345/19 on factory wheels.

Cheers

R
Are these the Michelins for the Viper?
Old 01-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

aren't there supposed to be Michelin run flats coming out for the Z factory sizes?

I seem to remember seeing that but with all the confusion about run flat/non-rf stock size/non-stock size I can't keep it striaght any more
Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
aren't there supposed to be Michelin run flats coming out for the Z factory sizes?

I seem to remember seeing that but with all the confusion about run flat/non-rf stock size/non-stock size I can't keep it striaght any more
Same here it sure is confusing. Michelin makes so many models.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default Are these the Michelins for the Viper?

Yep!

Cheers

R
Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 PM
stano
Safety Car

While I was at SEMA last year they had the new Michelin tires there for our Z's. The rep told me that the new tires would be in the stock sizes, quieter and faster than the GY's. His words.

Last edited by stano; 01-15-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:18 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HERE'S A NEWSFLASH!!! Bridgestone is making a Potenza Pole Position as we speak. It's a run flat, max rated and made in stock C6 Z06 sizes. It will be available in March from places like Tire Rack, but Discount Tires can get them too. The first production is in transit according to a Bridgestone techie I spoke to at Barrett-Jackson today. He said the ride and grip is improved, and the wear rating is 280. At last - an alternative for us CS C6 folks that won't use a non-runflat.

Last edited by catbert; 01-15-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
You won't get any consensus here or useful info, just "seat of pants" observations and subjective, non-scientific opinions, which will be all over the map. Since you've said your usage is primarily street, there are many here (myself included) who believe that the stock GY F1 EMTs are as "sticky" and corner as well as anything else available for normal street applications. They are also fine for occasional HPDE duty. That's what they use at Spring Mountain, for example.

For the track, there are certainly "stickier" tires, like Hoosier R6s, but you'd be nuts to use those on the street.

Others will disagree, but you won't find any valid techical comparisons pointing to anything better from a high-performance standpoint. Rumor has it that Michelin will offer a version of the ZR1 tire in Z06 sizes, but when they might be available is not yet known.
I have been in contact with the Tire Rack. They think the ZP zero pressure SC2 will be available in early summer. I am on their call list when they are available in the proper sizes for the C6 ZO6
I will post the moment I hear something
Old 01-15-2008, 11:30 PM
RedGTS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cbgpe
I have been in contact with the Tire Rack. They think the ZP zero pressure SC2 will be available in early summer. I am on their call list when they are available in the proper sizes for the C6 ZO6
What the heck is an SC2? Do you mean PS2? The Sport Cup is a completely different tire than the PS or PS2.

Stano, I'd be very interested to hear an update on your track experience with the Invo's.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Originally Posted by cbgpe
I have absolutely no doubts that "something better" will show up eventually. That is true for virtually every product on the market.

However, I was answering the OP's question in the present tense, not based on future speculation and an uncertain availability date.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:56 AM
rx7boricua
Advanced

This post confuses me. :P

Originally Posted by catbert
HERE'S A NEWSFLASH!!! Bridgestone is making a Potenza Pole Position as we speak. It's a run flat, max rated and made in stock C6 Z06 sizes. It will be available in March from places like Tire Rack, but Discount Tires can get them too. The first production is in transit according to a Bridgestone techie I spoke to at Barrett-Jackson today. He said the ride and grip is improved, and the wear rating is 280. At last - an alternative for us CS C6 folks that won't use a non-runflat.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rx7boricua
This post confuses me. :P
Maybe you do not understand the wording run-flat since you highlighted confusion to the wording "an alternative for us CS C6 folks that won't use a non-runflat."
Per Wikepedia, "A run-flat tire is a pneumatic vehicle tire that is designed to resist the effects of deflation and to enable the vehicle to continue to be driven."
So some of us want to continue to use a run flat tire on our Z06's as delivered but would like to try something other than our current Goodyears, hence the statement where the poster wants to use a run flat tire and not non-runflat tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires what to get

Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo the Lion
Are these the Michelins for the Viper?
If they are, they're the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups with the infamous 80 tread wear rating! Yes - 80!!! Sticky yes; long lasting hell no.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:17 AM
RedGTS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
If they are, they're the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups with the infamous 80 tread wear rating! Yes - 80!!! Sticky yes; long lasting hell no.
The '08 Viper ACR is supposed to come with Cups on it; the regular Viper does not.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:53 AM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
Maybe you do not understand the wording run-flat since you highlighted confusion to the wording "an alternative for us CS C6 folks that won't use a non-runflat."
Per Wikepedia, "A run-flat tire is a pneumatic vehicle tire that is designed to resist the effects of deflation and to enable the vehicle to continue to be driven."
So some of us want to continue to use a run flat tire on our Z06's as delivered but would like to try something other than our current Goodyears, hence the statement where the poster wants to use a run flat tire and not non-runflat tires.
What he said! Didn't think the original post was that confusing - a stock size run flat alternative for the OEM Goodyears. Maybe they will even be cheaper than the Goodyears.

Last edited by catbert; 01-16-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tires what to get