Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] to add or not to add... Octane booster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:23 PM
08C6ZO6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to add or not to add... Octane booster?

Hello all, I am excited to be here as my dream came true and I got my very own 2008 ZO6 (masterfully crafted by the one and only Robert Vernier). I have a couple questions about it already, My work brought me to California where the best you can do on octane is 91. It seems like after I ride the beast hard even for a short distance I notice a little knocking or ticking noise. If I add octane booster will it help this? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:19 PM
El Puto
Drifting

Originally Posted by 08C6ZO6
Hello all, I am excited to be here as my dream came true and I got my very own 2008 ZO6 (masterfully crafted by the one and only Robert Vernier). I have a couple questions about it already, My work brought me to California where the best you can do on octane is 91. It seems like after I ride the beast hard even for a short distance I notice a little knocking or ticking noise. If I add octane booster will it help this? Thanks in advance for any help.
My advice is to simply run higher octane. You can get MS 109 from VP racing - I get it at Downs Energy. Mix two gallons of that with the rest 91 and voila - 93 octane.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
mercruiser
Burning Brakes

The majority of members here think that octane boosters are a waste of money. You can try searching the forum and probably find the old thread. I have never used them because I get the 93 octane.
The 91 octane should not be a problem. The car's computer should compensate for the lower octane. These cars seem to make alot of unusual noises that are specific to the LS7 engine and easy to explain. I would suggest posting a very specific record of your car's symptoms and someone will surely help you out.
My car had a ticking on acceleration, like pinging, that disappeared after lowering my car about an inch. Go figure. Anyway, I would have sworn that the noise was engine related until I talked to the corvette tech where I bought the car. He said it was probably something rubbing under the hood. I guess I got lucky.
The point is, you can be fooled by these noises and I wouldn't bet that your car is ticking or knocking from low octane gas. Probably just the normal valvetrain tick. The LS7 is noisier than the average V8. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
jgaches
Pro

I would be careful with Octane booster. Most all of it is usless. Many in the Forced Induction section have done well with Torco (C5 section). I too live in California and if I am planning to tack the car I will toss in a gallon or two of Xylne. It's another option. You can buy it at paint shops and Home Depot as well. It's 117 octane but very dry. Wouldn't go crazy with the stuff. Hope that helps.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 PM
08C6ZO6
Advanced

Thanks, I do assume its the normal ticking of a push rod engine, its a muted tick and not alarming when i hear it. I figured I would still throw it out there though.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 PM
BadboyZ06
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by El Puto
My advice is to simply run higher octane. You can get MS 109 from VP racing - I get it at Downs Energy. Mix two gallons of that with the rest 91 and voila - 93 octane.
I do the same thing and it works very well. The MS 109 is a unleaded racing gas rated at 101 octane for aspirated engines like the LS7.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 PM
08C6ZO6
Advanced

I use VP for my moto-cross bike, when I have it. Its just that I'm usually to lazy to go and get it.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 PM
layjzay
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torco works great
Old 01-06-2008, 10:30 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by jgaches
I would be careful with Octane booster. Most all of it is usless. Many in the Forced Induction section have done well with Torco (C5 section). I too live in California and if I am planning to tack the car I will toss in a gallon or two of Xylne. It's another option. You can buy it at paint shops and Home Depot as well. It's 117 octane but very dry. Wouldn't go crazy with the stuff. Hope that helps.
Be VERY careful if you use Xylene as the fumes attack your central nervous system. Use it in a well ventilated area. Yes, it will slow down your burn speed but you won't get anymore power (Btu's) with it unless you tune for it.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:27 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by layjzay
Torco works great

I run it in both my cars out here in California. I'm also a distibutor if you want to try some.

It works for me and MANY others!

JB
Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,107 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by mercruiser
The majority of members here think that octane boosters are a waste of money. You can try searching the forum and probably find the old thread. I have never used them because I get the 93 octane.
The 91 octane should not be a problem. The car's computer should compensate for the lower octane. These cars seem to make alot of unusual noises that are specific to the LS7 engine and easy to explain. I would suggest posting a very specific record of your car's symptoms and someone will surely help you out.
My car had a ticking on acceleration, like pinging, that disappeared after lowering my car about an inch. Go figure. Anyway, I would have sworn that the noise was engine related until I talked to the corvette tech where I bought the car. He said it was probably something rubbing under the hood. I guess I got lucky.
The point is, you can be fooled by these noises and I wouldn't bet that your car is ticking or knocking from low octane gas. Probably just the normal valvetrain tick. The LS7 is noisier than the average V8. Good luck.

octane booster = snake oil
Old 01-07-2008, 08:21 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

My work brought me to California where the best you can do on octane is 91. It seems like after I ride the beast hard even for a short distance I notice a little knocking or ticking noise. If I add octane booster will it help this? Thanks in advance for any help.
Can understand the question and the comments to date but the first thing I would do is take it to a reputable Chevrolet dealership for a little check up first.
And congrats on the 08 and sorry you had to move to CA
Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i doubt that what you are hearing is detonation....just normal valve train noises....i can only get 91 here in tucson...have been logging and tuning my car and never have an issue with 91....

would not waste my money on octane boosters...
Old 01-07-2008, 11:43 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most engines are simply not capable of using high octane gas.

Will I get extra performance if I put in 93 into my Honda accord? No. That doesn't mean 93 is the same as 87 and we're being ripped off.

Boosting 87 to 93 for the LS7 makes sense but boosting 93 to 97 will probably not add any power with an engine calibrated to run on 90-93. It'll just make your safety net bigger.

More is not better, less is worse.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:46 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is NOT pinging/knocking. Pinging has to do with fuel related pre-detonation. You will only notice this when the car is running. Chances are your car will make on-the-fly corrections and you will not even have issues.

The noise you're talking about is probably because of the heat-related expansion of the various materials at different temperatures. I dont know exactly what causes it but its normal.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 PM
imp zog
Racer

One thing to be aware of with those little jugs of octane booster is that, while they may be making a valid claim to raise your octane by say 2 "points", that only translates to 0.2 of your octane rating. So rather than taking you from 91 to 93 as many people read this octane boost as, you are really only taking it from 91.0 to 91.2 rating. Also, you have to look at how many gallons one of those little bottles treats, in many cases that doesn't apply to a quantity as large as a full tank of fuel. That translates to very expensive fuel.

As others have recommended, just pick up some *unleaded* (unless you wanna pooch the platinum in your cats!!!) race fuel, I use 104 as my octane booster, as I generally have a barrel of it around for the bubbacar (stock car). If you don't think you will use a whole barrel of it within a season, you should be able to find it at a pump at just about any race track.

imp.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Bigbucks
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imp zog
One thing to be aware of with those little jugs of octane booster is that, while they may be making a valid claim to raise your octane by say 2 "points", that only translates to 0.2 of your octane rating. So rather than taking you from 91 to 93 as many people read this octane boost as, you are really only taking it from 91.0 to 91.2 rating. Also, you have to look at how many gallons one of those little bottles treats, in many cases that doesn't apply to a quantity as large as a full tank of fuel. That translates to very expensive fuel.
A 1 point boost is just that, a change from, say, 91 to 92 octane. I'm not saying how true it is, but nevertheless, it is not a 0.1 change.

Get notified of new replies

To to add or not to add... Octane booster?

Old 01-07-2008, 05:51 PM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by NORTY
Be VERY careful if you use Xylene as the fumes attack your central nervous system. Use it in a well ventilated area. Yes, it will slow down your burn speed but you won't get anymore power (Btu's) with it unless you tune for it.
Yes, any fuels used in a confined space is bad for you. That is not specific to Xylene. Not too sure I understand your comment about adding BTU's unless you tune for it. Toulene and Xylene are common place in gasoline, injector cleaners, and brake cleaner. The stuff works and works well, as do some of the other suggestions here (race gas mix, Torco) for adding octane.

It may not be the cheapest route though. You can buy a gallon of the stuff for as high as $15 at Home Depot and as low as $9 or so a gallon with an account at a paint store. A ratio of 1:16 should get you to about 92.5 (92.625 actually). Pretty expensive and inconvenient way to go assuming the Torco works as some say it does. A small can of Torco is pretty conveneint.

Last edited by jgaches; 01-07-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Finished an 8000 mile cross country trip and used gas from 89 to 94 and there was no noticable change in performance. The only thing that I noticed was the LS7 dosen't like altitude, acts like a de-nutted duck at 6000 ft. Tried some of the Torco in my 02 convertible, 1 quart to 18 gallons drove 150 miles and lost 18 rwhp at a dyno event in Gardina CA. (336 down to 318 rwhp)
Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 PM
El Puto
Drifting

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5

I run it in both my cars out here in California. I'm also a distibutor if you want to try some.

It works for me and MANY others!

JB
Where/How can I get some - I live in Elsinore, work in Hemet. Thanx.

Quick Reply: [Z06] to add or not to add... Octane booster?