Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Take on new ZR-1

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:38 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jschindler
Some of ya'lls responses are kind of ironic - what if we "base" Corvette owners made the same comments about the extra $25,000 for a Z06 not being worth it?

If I could afford the extra $25,000 for a Z06 I'd buy one. So why wouldn't I spend the extra $25,000 on top of a Z06 for a ZR1 if I could afford that? The Z06 now has about 65 more hp than a Z06. The ZR1 has about 115 more hp than a Z06. Plus it has the exotic carbon fiber roof, bigger wheels/tires, bigger brakes etc.

If the Z06 is worth $25k more than a base car, then why wouldn't the ZR1 be worth $25k more than a Z06? I understand that some people may not like the car, or it may not fit one's priorties, but I sure don't see the logic behind not thinking it's worth it.
100%

only way I wouldn't agree is if this price gets out of hand. The sticker price on a 1500 unit car is almost not even tangible...it's going to cost so much more to actually obtain versus a 6200 unit/yr C6Z. The dealer buzzards are going to make the '05 to '06 c6z feeding frenzy look like a gerber commercial. this is going to be raw, bloody meat for way too long I'm afraid
Old 12-21-2007, 12:45 PM
El Puto
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bladzee
Can anyone explain how the car managed to gain 200lbs while at the same time using even more carbon fiber?

Blower for one
Old 12-21-2007, 12:53 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by EFE Z06
One thing to remember, the Viper is also a limited production car and probably Corvette's most direct competitor. The Z and Viper have been the two main rivals since 2001 and have gone back and forth fighting for kingship. This is another reason why my prediction is $90k max. If the ZR-1 goes much higher in price than the Viper, many will still choose the Viper not only because of its exclusiveness but also because it doesn't look like millions of other Corvettes.

I don't think most of the complainers on this board are complaining about the ZR-1's performance or technology (it's the best ever), but rather that a near $100k car still looks much like a normal Corvette, they just expected more for such a high price. That has been one of the reasons many Viper owners preferred a Viper, its looks are unique and its production numbers are low. I think everybody is going to be pleasantly surprised when the ZR-1 is released at a comparable price to the Viper! The only negative will be those greedy shyster stealerships, if people would only learn to be patient and not buy at over sticker, then these vultures would have to concede that MSRP is more than a fair profit for them!

EFE Z06
Velocity Vettes
http://www.freewebs.com/velocityvettes/
I Agree. I am surprised the car weighs 200LBS more then the Z, which means the 08 Viper and the ZR1 should be close in performance #'s. I am pleased they are building the ZR1. The problem will be you won't be able to compare the 08 Viper to the Z price wise for some time because the ZR1 will sell for 10's of thousands more then MSRP in most places to start.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:06 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Futfixr
This is erroneous info.."ALL" of the car mags have not said this, and the ZO6 has out performed even the new Viper according to some mags.
No it hasn't. Some car reviewers have judged it "better" for reasons like trunkspace and cup holders. But it has beaten the Z06 in all performance catagories that matter, and any objective observer would agree.

And the ZR1 should best the 08 Viper. And so it goes.

What I want to see is a head to head Viper 08 ACR against the ZR1 on the track...after all, these are track cars right?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:08 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Futfixr
This is erroneous info.."ALL" of the car mags have not said this, and the ZO6 has out performed even the new Viper according to some mags.
What they have said is that the Viper is the better all around performance car. If what you are referring to is 1/4 mile times, that's only part of a cars performance. I don't read every magazine on the newsstand, so maybe I missed one that rated the Corvette better.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:13 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

For $100k - absolutely! But are you going to complain at under $90k?

EFE Z06
Velocity Vettes

If you buy it I'll sell you the seats from my Z06-R

Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 PM
EFE Z06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by zhopper05

I really like those suspenders!

EFE Z06
Velocity Vettes
Old 12-21-2007, 01:32 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

I really like those suspenders!

EFE Z06
Velocity Vettes
Thanks - I can never understand GM. It only took me 15 minutes to figure out how to improve on the stock seats. Pillow-top headrests; all-leather; padded cushions; fully functional 5-point harnesses THRU the seats too.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:44 PM
christopher04z06
Instructor

I think the ZR-1 looks wicked! It's surely the pinnacle of the C6. The C7 should hopefully take things to another level.

I am also concerned with traction on the car. Are there any preliminary 0-60 numbers or track times yet? Unsubstantiated rumors at least Maybe we've got to wait for the Auto Show.

I've heard its got magnetic dampers. Any early indication GM has tied this in with advanced algorithms to improve launch and/or cornering?

...Chris
Old 12-21-2007, 01:49 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jschindler
Really? Why don't you go over to the Viper forum where they already had a 500 hp car that all of the car magazines are still saying is the better performance car and see how that line flies.

I hope everyone understands that I'm not bashing anyone here or the Z06. I'm a huge fan of the Z06 (and you could not give me a Viper). I just think some of the comments are a little ironic in that the ZR1 seems to me is just as big of a step up from a Z06 than a Z06 is from a base car. I also think the styling differences are more dramatic on the ZR1.
Well, I think SOME Z06 owner's egos are being challenged because where as before the Z06 was the top dog Vette, now it has been eclipsed by the ZR1 and some may be getting a little defensive about it.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:06 PM
luvinc5
Melting Slicks

From my perspective, a C5 vert owner, the ZR1 looks awesome. Given the information about the powertrain components, this looks to be one heck of a (factory made) beast.

Rest assured, the 1st year production will be sold well in advance of manufacturing the 09 ZR1.

The ZR1 has finally given me reason to consider a C6. The price tag isn't cheap and I'm sure the dealer mark-ups will cause resentment from the buyers. But wow, what a car! I suspect the ZR1 will be the pinnacle of the C6 production, fulfilling the need for speed until the C7 takes over.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:11 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by CB1953
...that's actually a '76....
And not to mention the dual side scoops in the front fenders remind me of oversized 69 Trans Am dual side scoops.

I wish I had the money to buy the ZR1, but I would pass on the plexiglass hood opening if I could; GM should make the hood an option for those who dislike it.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by zhopper05

Nice Jake on the camlock!

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 12-21-2007, 02:58 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Why not just get a purpose built racecar for less money?
Selling at MSRP.
Naturally aspirated.

Trollllllllllllllllllllllll
Old 12-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Gordysvette
Instructor

My Guess is , at first the ZR1's will be selling at double the MSRP to those who have to be the first on their block to have one.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Maui
9.1:1 compression ratio. Makes you wonder what the car will do with higher compression.
Originally Posted by NytmereZ
It would blow up
Lot's a Z's out there with superchargers and they aren't blowing up.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:48 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

One thing to remember, the Viper is also a limited production car and probably Corvette's most direct competitor. The Z and Viper have been the two main rivals since 2001 and have gone back and forth fighting for kingship. This is another reason why my prediction is $90k max. If the ZR-1 goes much higher in price than the Viper, many will still choose the Viper not only because of its exclusiveness but also because it doesn't look like millions of other Corvettes.

I don't think most of the complainers on this board are complaining about the ZR-1's performance or technology (it's the best ever), but rather that a near $100k car still looks much like a normal Corvette, they just expected more for such a high price. That has been one of the reasons many Viper owners preferred a Viper, its looks are unique and its production numbers are low. I think everybody is going to be pleasantly surprised when the ZR-1 is released at a comparable price to the Viper! The only negative will be those greedy shyster stealerships, if people would only learn to be patient and not buy at over sticker, then these vultures would have to concede that MSRP is more than a fair profit for them!

EFE Z06
Velocity Vettes
I've had a chance to re read the posts by you and Foosh and you two just might be right. So you guys think its going to come in at around $90-$92K.

You make a very good point which is very hard to argue with. Actually you make two firm points. The first with regard to manufacuturing costs, the second with the incentive to keep the price at under 6 figures.

If they can get it priced at under 90K MSRP that would be the coup to end all coups.

It would really stick it to the exotics, Porsche, and Dodge all at the same time.

You two just might be, and probably are, right.

Now to JSchindler's points, I would have to indeed agree. A 20K upcharge over a Z06 would definitely be reasonable considering what you are getting over and above the Z06.

But it is still going to come down to what the car can actually be purchased for. The sticker may be, and very likely will be, meaningless.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-21-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Take on new ZR-1

Old 12-21-2007, 04:52 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
I believe GM badly missed the mark on the ZR1. What are you really getting for another 50 or 60 grand? I use that amount because the dealers will be marking this baby up 20 to 30 grand. So for that money you get about a 100 HP more, bigger brakes, clear hood window (which looks hideous IMO) and some new side moldings I don't like! To me this a lot of hype for about 450 dollars per additional horse power!

I thought GM was going to produce something that would compete with the worlds finest sports cars in the world both inside and out. I simply don't see this car as a major threat to any of the high end super cars. Yea it will be a fast novelty but all you really have is a LS3 on steroids. The way most S/C cars normally perform on a road course it might not even be good at that. It even weighs 200 lbs more than a Z06 to boot.

To me GM was trying to create an extremely expensive small market for the ZR1. This was more about reclaiming the top spot in the HP wars then building another world class beater like the Z06.

This will be a very short production run car for GM. Perhaps a couple of years! Might be a great collector car because GM won't be producing this car long IMO. It will go the way of the Ford GT in short order because it's simply to expensive for what it delivers. This is a fun super car to grace the pages of car mags and produce flights of fantasy for the unwashed masses.
Even if I had the money to afford this car I wouldn't be interested in it... I believe the Z06 is still a far better value for 99% of anyone wanting a super high performance sports car.......

That is a halo car and they will like it just for the PR
Old 12-21-2007, 04:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
It looks like GM went nuts with an Ecklers catalog!

Seriously, the engineering is phenominal, and it does look good in dark gray. I think of the new ZR1 like the Ferrari 599, more of a supercar GT, than a race car for the road. You could take a ZR1 and blast accross the country at 200mph in perfect comfort and civility. If GM wanted this to be the race-ready Vette it would've come with Recaros, flat bottom suede wheel, radio/ac delete options, factory rollbar options, etc. But that's not what this car is about.

I think the Z06 is still the (road) race car of the C6 family. To keep with the Ferrari analogy, it's our F430. Yes, the 599 is more expensive, but if you're buying a Ferrari and want to go road racing, you buy a 430. And I think Corvette buyers who want to go road racing will continue to buy the Z06. Lighter, cheaper, high revving NA motor, etc.

The best thing to come out of this from my perspective is we FINALLY have GM ENGINEERED high performance parts. What this means is a dual-disk clutch that can hopefully handle 700+ HP and be nice as stock. A new tranny geared to top out in 6th!!! HUGE brakes. These are things C5 guys have been wishing for since 1997. I think it's awesome that we'll finally have all these options for upgrading our C5s and C6s.

JMO.
you can't go road racing in either car. New Z may be better depending on what it has.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

question I want to see is who pays the most to get one first

Quick Reply: [Z06] Take on new ZR-1