Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New Issus of Automobile mag..LPE Z Vs. New Viper

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:29 PM
American Power
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Issus of Automobile mag..LPE Z Vs. New Viper

Z destroys it! Albeit the Z is modded but dollar for dollar it's about the same price.
Nice article. No link. Buy the mag!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 881 Likes on 451 Posts

hey man, post a link or scan or something! i live in belize and auto mags aren't our strongest point!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:11 PM
augydog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by American Power
Z destroys it! Albeit the Z is modded but dollar for dollar it's about the same price.
Here's a little more info on it.

Viper SRT10
Horsepower 600 @ 6300 rpm
Torque 560 @ 5000 rpm
Weight 3464 49.4/50.6%
Price (as tested) $88,698

Lingenfelter Corvette Z06
Horsepower 626 @ 6100 rpm
Torque 572 @5100 rpm
Weight 3185 50.2/49.8%
Price $90,651

augydog

Last edited by augydog; 10-10-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by American Power
Here we go again , I am a vette and Viper guy , I own both cars look at my sig, dollar for dollar I can buy a 89 mustang for 4 grand, put 15 grand in the motor(doesnt even need that much(, and destroy a Z06,Viper etc..., you people are like children, my toy is better than yours. Did you know you can buy I supercharger kit for the Viper(I did , goes in next spring) for 7,500 bucks, and make 800hp, from just that one bolt-on alone, on stock internals, you see Vipers compression is low, perfect for SC application, high boost can be run without worry, my NA Z06 had blown up on me once already cause of weak internals, my Viper has forged from the factory, as do the new 600hp motor does, much more potential for the V10 Lambo designed motor, cheaper also. I love my Z but facts are facts your post says nothing, you cant compare a modded car vs a stock car. Just face the facts you no nothing about the Viper Motor, hell I knew nothing until recently, all mods being equal the Viper wins every time, it is a true performance car, it is the only American exotic, and not made for everyday driving. The corvette gives some of both, that is what makes them great, be glad it was the American KOTH for 3 years, Viper was on top since 92, is on top again, and will introduce the ACR again after the new vette is released to stay on top, the war will end there.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I have not read the article but how can you fairly compare a modded car vs. a factory car (any car)
Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
it is the only American exotic, .
The mighty Ford GT is the only American exotic. And what is an exotic you might ask:
Over $150K
low/limited production number
looks like a naked Pam Anderson (Pam 10 years ago)
0-to traffic court under 4 seconds
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by augydog
Here's a little more info on it.

Viper SRT10
Horsepower 600 @ 6300 rpm
Torque 560 @ 5000 rpm
Weight 3464 49.4/50.6%
Price (as tested) $88,698

Lingenfelter Corvette Z06
Horsepower 626 @ 6100 rpm
Torque 572 @5100 rpm
Weight 3185 50.2/49.8%
Price $90,651

augydog

Looks to me like the LPE Z06 is the total package and actually has usable HP. A car is not always faster (with street tires) when you add power or handling might not actually be better, but the LPE package clearly is. You get a warrenty, to boot. I see this as a viable option to the Viper when considering cost vs. performance. The Corvette is a better street car and this is a way to keep the Corvette and still stomp the Viper. Very impressed with these results.

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 10-10-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 PM
RFC2
Burning Brakes

Not fair, don't care. Stock for stock is what matters. Take your LPE to the dealership for warranty work, probably not.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:46 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Meaningless comparo, even though it's great fun to read. Modded car against stock car is nothing to brag about. On the other hand, calling the Viper an exotic is ridiculous. I'm a Viper lover, so no hater here. I'd be jonesing for the 08 Viper if the ZR-1 wasn't coming. An exotic, by definition, is very desirable, and never has problem selling all its production run: as in, Ferrari, Lambo,...I read about Vipers languishing on the lots, so that's not an exotic quality. Also, exotic means expensive, under $100K is not expensive. The Ford GT is exotic, looks like the ZR-1 will be as well.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I'd like to see this Lingenfelter car VS the ZR-1, if the ZR-1 cant beat it decisively, can it be honestly consider worth the wait list, hastles and markups?

It would be the same garbage arguement, but considering they are closely related, it could be a tad more relevant, but it would be another version of the C6 with mods vs Z06.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Vindication
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RFC2
Not fair, don't care. Stock for stock is what matters. Take your LPE to the dealership for warranty work, probably not.
But you can take your vette to LPE for Warranty work.

Either way, these Viper vs Vette things are stupid. Im with the gentleman in a previous post, if you have money you can make anything fast.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetteship
The mighty Ford GT is the only American exotic. And what is an exotic you might ask:
Over $150K
low/limited production number
looks like a naked Pam Anderson (Pam 10 years ago)
0-to traffic court under 4 seconds
I correct my statement the ford GT is also an American exotic, you are correct,my bad, but they dont make them anymore, leaving the Viper. Regardless it was a true American exotic
Old 10-11-2007, 12:39 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vindication
But you can take your vette to LPE for Warranty work.

Either way, these Viper vs Vette things are stupid. Im with the gentleman in a previous post, if you have money you can make anything fast.
I totally agree with you on the Viper vs vette, thats why I decided to own both, I love them the same, currently my vette is a tad bit faster,but when I want the looks I bring out the ACR its Black with sliver stripes a real show stopper 1of 26 made in that color combo in 99 ist and last ACR to have forged internals and a aggressive cam, it almost as lopey as the Z's, they only made about 100 ACR's in its 4 year run, it a very rare car, the Viper gets a supercharger next spring. Regardless I love my Z06.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:55 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
Meaningless comparo, even though it's great fun to read. Modded car against stock car is nothing to brag about. On the other hand, calling the Viper an exotic is ridiculous. I'm a Viper lover, so no hater here. I'd be jonesing for the 08 Viper if the ZR-1 wasn't coming. An exotic, by definition, is very desirable, and never has problem selling all its production run: as in, Ferrari, Lambo,...I read about Vipers languishing on the lots, so that's not an exotic quality. Also, exotic means expensive, under $100K is not expensive. The Ford GT is exotic, looks like the ZR-1 will be as well.
Viper is classified as an exotic, looks and performs exotic(the motor was designed by lambo if you know your history also who do you think owns lambo? yes, chrysler, call your insurance company, my vette is classified as sports car, the Viper is classified exotic, fact not opinion, do you know the hood on the gen 2 Viper cost 20k?,why do you think they changed it for gen 3? COST, my car gets just as many looks at the car shows I take it to as any lambo, or ferrari it sticks out like a road flair.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Kzof
Advanced

Maybe I missed something?? Chrysler hasnt owned Lambo in years. Audi owns them.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Kzof
Advanced

Drove a G recently and the radio looked just like my daily driven Audi.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:28 AM
427 C6Z
Racer

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Viper is classified as an exotic, looks and performs exotic(the motor was designed by lambo if you know your history also who do you think owns lambo? yes, chrysler, call your insurance company, my vette is classified as sports car, the Viper is classified exotic, fact not opinion, do you know the hood on the gen 2 Viper cost 20k?,why do you think they changed it for gen 3? COST, my car gets just as many looks at the car shows I take it to as any lambo, or ferrari it sticks out like a road flair.
, that stated. Those who think the Viper is a better track car are in denial. Ask "most" any HPDS instructor and they will tell you that the Z06 is the better "all around" tracker; weight being one of the biggest reasons.

As far as looks go, the Viper is a great looking car and will certainly get noticed more over the Z06. Personally, I like being "somewhat" under the rader. That was one of the reasons I sold my C3.

Relative to this comparison; pretty worthless ! If we're honest, the 2008 Viper looks like a great car; way to go DC! The real comparison will come next year with the ZR-1; good times lay ahead for sure

Get notified of new replies

To New Issus of Automobile mag..LPE Z Vs. New Viper

Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 AM
bernrex
Safety Car

OK ... lets let them compare stock vs modified.

What I see is the Viper can do 0-60 just as quick. It also has mid-low 11 second potential in 1/4 (same as modified vette).

The Vette would be a better Roll'on racer for sure .. and would have a better topend. The Viper would be better for the track.

For my money ... I'd go with the Viper. Big OEM power beats aftermarket power .... in the eyes of the public. People just prefer a stock setup .... for obvious reasons.

And, give the Viper the upcoming OEM power option ... and its a no-brainer.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 AM
American Power
Pro

IMO I think the Z is a better track performer and I see more of them at the track than I do the Viper. I like the Viper, always have. I just thought the article was a good read.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:02 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 427 C6Z
, that stated. Those who think the Viper is a better track car are in denial. Ask "most" any HPDS instructor and they will tell you that the Z06 is the better "all around" tracker; weight being one of the biggest reasons.

As far as looks go, the Viper is a great looking car and will certainly get noticed more over the Z06. Personally, I like being "somewhat" under the rader. That was one of the reasons I sold my C3.

Relative to this comparison; pretty worthless ! If we're honest, the 2008 Viper looks like a great car; way to go DC! The real comparison will come next year with the ZR-1; good times lay ahead for sure
The 1980-1982 C3 corvettes are the sweetest looking of all, I love the shape of that car, I will own one of them in the near future, great looking car.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Issus of Automobile mag..LPE Z Vs. New Viper