Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Does your Z06 wander at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Rottie1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your Z06 wander at high speeds

I have an 07 Z06 with 2k miles. The cars seems to wander or track at high speeds. I have never had a car with tires as wide as on the Z. Shouldn't the car feel solid at high speeds or do the wide tires track on imperfect surfaces?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:31 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No, but I do--with and A and an O.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:51 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Rottie1
I have an 07 Z06 with 2k miles. The cars seems to wander or track at high speeds. I have never had a car with tires as wide as on the Z. Shouldn't the car feel solid at high speeds or do the wide tires track on imperfect surfaces?
I've got an '07 with about 3400 miles. I've had it up to 150 on several occasions. Of course the road surface was in excellent condition.

The car stayed rock solid the whole time.

You might have an alignment issue, or your roads are bad.

augydog
Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

no probelms here

car is spooky fast and planted
Old 10-08-2007, 11:18 PM
ayousef
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that isnt common!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

It is common on any road with ruts in it. On asphalt streets populated with heavy truck traffic and accompanying ruts, I see it. On smooth streets it tracks straight and true. It is a function of the wide tires in ruts.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Rottie1
Advanced

The car is stable at normal highway speeds. I had the oppertunity to get the car up to 171 mph and the car follows all of the road imperfections. I run 31 psi front tire pressure warm and 30psi in the rear. Does anyone have any alignment tips, has anyone added more camber etc. and still found the car comfortable for the street?

Thanks

Last edited by Rottie1; 10-09-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:06 AM
Supersubes
Instructor

Get a proper allignment. My car had toe out in the rear and near zero toe at the front. It also had unequal camber side to side.

No your car should not be unstable. Mine launches and drives arrow straight after it was taken to a qualified shop. This was done in the first 300 miles(the earliest appointment i could get). The first thing i will do to any car i buy is check the allignment. Factory tolerances are laughable when it comes to allignments.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:11 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 128 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It is common on any road with ruts in it. On asphalt streets populated with heavy truck traffic and accompanying ruts, I see it. On smooth streets it tracks straight and true. It is a function of the wide tires in ruts.
Smooth roads, no problem. Cars are allowed studded tires here in the winter and that creates some really bad ruts. There is this one exit by me that if I'm not holding the wheel firmly, the rut will cause it to go 90 degrees.

Most likely nothing wrong with your car, but it would be worth having the alignment checked.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z Fast
Smooth roads, no problem. Cars are allowed studded tires here in the winter and that creates some really bad ruts. There is this one exit by me that if I'm not holding the wheel firmly, the rut will cause it to go 90 degrees.

Most likely nothing wrong with your car, but it would be worth having the alignment checked.
Ditto!

I hear that most of the alignments are a little off anyway. Mine was.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my car lowered then realigned. On less-then-perfect roads, the car is somewhat darty. Simple bump-steer probably because of how responsive the steering and suspension is. My C6 with the base suspension and some suspension MODs has noticealbly more high-speed stability.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Bigbucks
Pro

One of the primary causes of 'dartiness' is insufficient toe-in.

A simple fix to try may just be to increase the toe-in on each front wheel a full-turn and see if that improves the stability. If it does, then you may want to get a professional alignment.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:43 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbucks
One of the primary causes of 'dartiness' is insufficient toe-in.

A simple fix to try may just be to increase the toe-in on each front wheel a full-turn and see if that improves the stability. If it does, then you may want to get a professional alignment.
One "flat' on each side is equal to a total of 1/16" movement in toe (being 1/32" per side/flat). Six flats (or one full turn per side) is going to be 3/8" toe-in (less any toe-out you may have) -- which is a lot and will eat tires. But, as you say, it will tell you if it makes a difference and that you should get it checked OR just do it yourself with a tape measure.

--Dan
Old 10-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Not on the track
Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 PM
a/gas
Instructor

rain grooves pull a little but track is perfect
Old 10-09-2007, 07:27 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

front toe-in on the track? really?

i had mine aligned by a somone i trust, i'll ask him what he did.i
would think toe-in up front would hurt turn-in, but i'm no expert, ihave to trust others.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
fstyloz
Racer

Originally Posted by Foosh
On smooth roads they stay planted.

Get notified of new replies

To Does your Z06 wander at high speeds

Old 10-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

After re-reading my comment, I perhaps should have been more clear. It's not as much a function of "smooth" as it is the issue of rutted ("two ditches per lane") roads. I should have said "flat" roads.

Concrete roads don't tend to develop ruts. Asphalt is the worst for ruts as it sinks under heavy weights over time.

The tires on cars like modern Vipers, Corvettes, and Ford GTs are generally wider than the ruts, so darting back and forth can be an issue, but not one exclusive to Corvettes. It's not unlike driving off the edge of a newly paved lane on to a lower, milled surface during a repaving project.........only worse.

Yes, I also agree it never hurts to check your alignment. Mine is dead-on at high or low speed, but it still wanders on some of the mean streets of the Washington, DC-metro area.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:41 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I dont know if its the car or tires but any groove in the road causes a bit of a pull... That is the case for me. I had the car aligned twice and it has gotten better, but still does it.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
I dont know if its the car or tires but any groove in the road causes a bit of a pull... That is the case for me. I had the car aligned twice and it has gotten better, but still does it.
Trust me, Frank. It is the wide tires. Put some skinny ones on your car, take it out on a rutted road, and check back.

How do I know this? Some days, I drive a beater with skinny tires on my same route to work. When I get to a certain street in Washington, DC in the Z06, I have to keep both hands on the wheel. In the beater.........no issue. At higher speeds on flat roads in the Z06..........no issue. I've driven 10 different cars (some with wide tires, some with skinny) on the same route, and it's always the same with wide tires.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Does your Z06 wander at high speeds