Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
DAKING
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default rear end noise

I've read a lot of posts about the clutch plates noise and possible soloutions. T he one that seemed to work the best was the one about AMSOIL additive,so I went looking for it, tuff to find a dealer around here but finally found one. I was talking with the owner of the store (sells bikes and snowmobiles) and apparently they use a lot of the products. Well ,he says that the noise could be from air being trapped in the differential ,he says that the additive takes the air out and after awhile it does comes back . Not being an engineer or a mechanic is this a sound theory ? (please i am only a messenger)

Last edited by DAKING; 09-12-2007 at 10:31 AM. Reason: delete icon
Old 09-12-2007, 10:47 AM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I don't know about the air in the system and I intend to switch over to some type of synthetic lube for the rear end.
Also there is a TSB on the rear end noise, I would take it to the dealer and let them change the flluid under warranty for two reasons.
One its free and the other is that now there is a record of the noise if there is a problem with the rear end later.
I had the dealer change mine at about 13K and at 17K the noise is starting up again.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM
vettemaster1
Drifting

posi chatter/noise has been around as long as posi's have...the gm fluid is synthetic...every now and then find a deserted parking lot and do some figure 8's....this helps get the lube in between the posi clutch plates and reduces chatter/noise
Old 09-13-2007, 10:56 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DAKING
Well ,he says that the noise could be from air being trapped in the differential ,he says that the additive takes the air out and after awhile it does comes back . Not being an engineer or a mechanic is this a sound theory ?
I think he is way off base. The diff will always have air in it. It isn't a system that this filled solid with fluid. The C5 Z06 diff has a vent plug on it. Air doesn't have anything to do with it.

The friction modifier changes the fluids coeficient of friction to prevent the clutch plates from chattering as they rub against each other when the wheels are rotating at different speeds. You can read a little about it on this link:
AMSOIL Slip-Lock Differential Additive

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 08-25-2008, 11:46 PM
69 Vette
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 85 Posts

does this noise you guys speak of sound like a "howling" type noise when you turn a corner?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:08 AM
KRAYZ308
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine to the dealer a couple of weeks ago for a four wheel alignment. I mentioned to the service writer that they changed the diff fluid and added the friction modifier back in November because of the clunking noise. It got better but still makes some noise. He said that GM now has yet another lube to address the problem. So, they changed the fluid again with the new stuff. It works very well so far.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:12 AM
dpracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GM's Dexron LS cures the rearend chatter at slow speeds. Had it put in my 07.

Its also in my 09, (factory fill) and thank god its quiet.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

I think its because I always get lost and make U turns, but can someone record this noise?

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To rear end noise

Quick Reply: [Z06] rear end noise