Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anybody have this happen...??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have this happen...??

Anybody have this happen? I was drivng to a car show and all of a sudden theres a message on my screen saying " your right rear tire is flat you can't go over 55mph" So I stopped and check the tire pressure and it was fine then I did the old get on the ground and eyeball every inch of the tire thing and I see nothing.

Get back in the car start it up and it went away and didn't come back on even after I did a couple of over 55mph runs to see if it would come back on but nothing.

Ever happen to anyone?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 PM
mcm
Racer

Nup but I had one thing happen that scared me a bit, turned the car on at a hotel near the ocean and it said "Right rear low pressure"... "Left rear low pressure"... and I'm thinking who just slashed my tires, but turned out they were low @ 24 PSI due to the low temp (were aired for 28PSI @ 95F ambient).
Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
Anybody have this happen? I was drivng to a car show and all of a sudden theres a message on my screen saying " your right rear tire is flat you can't go over 55mph" So I stopped and check the tire pressure and it was fine then I did the old get on the ground and eyeball every inch of the tire thing and I see nothing.

Get back in the car start it up and it went away and didn't come back on even after I did a couple of over 55mph runs to see if it would come back on but nothing.

Ever happen to anyone?
The TPMS can certainly be finicky.The car will do a monitor simply as it sits unstarted to receive info from the TPMS so when the car is started it knows the tires are ok.Should it occurr on a regular basis have the dealer re-learn each TPMS codes and if it returns again chances are it requires replacement.
TPMS will also advise of over-pressure also.Generally if it loses the code or fails you'll get XXX on that tire on the DIC and it will lock out Comp mode and driver stability although let you turn traction control off.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Nanook
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Ever happen to anyone?
A litle more info:

. The NEW Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) presents a whole list of problems:

(Note that the C5 TPMS wiring and programming were included on the C5 Z06 but not activated. However the C5 Tire Pressure Warning Sensors (TPWS) could be added to the C5 Z06 and then turned ON. Likewise it could be turned OFF for track use. The older TPMS ONLY functioned as a pressure Warning message.)

The New TPMS is more invasive and not only Warns the driver but activates Traction Control and a Reduced Power Mode.

- It is installed OEM on the car and NOT a delete option

- Currently the TPMS can NOT be turned OFF

- Currently the TPMS can NOT be reprogrammed

- The new TPMS is federally mandated on all cars by 2008. *

- The TPMS has a narrow range 28-38 psi.

- The TPMS MUST see 4 TPW sensors or it DeFaults to Traction Control ON and a Reduced Power Mode.

- The TPMS MUST see all 4 TPWS in range

- The TPMS MUST see ALL 4 TPWS in the correct position (LF/RF/RR/LR)

- The TPMS reads the TPWS above 20 MPH

- If an over pressure condition (+38 psi) is sensed the TPMS will alarm on the DIC

- If an underinflation condition (- 28 psi) is sensed the TPMS will alarm AND Default to TC ON and Reduced Power Mode

- A wheel without an emitting TPWS or in the wrong position is considered a 0 psi flat and causes the DeFault Mode

- Therefore ALL Race Wheels MUST have a NEW TPWS installed despite the narrow psi range.

- TPW sensors are $70 each, retail

- The TPW sensors are rotational dependant and produce a voltage and emit a readable frequency when spinning. The option to "fool" the TPMS by installing 4 in a pressure vessel in the rear of the car won't work.

- The TPWS come in 2 different groups UJ9 and UH3 and must be matched according to VIN#

- The TPWS operate on 2 frequencies: 315 mHz, 433 mHz and possibly a third 309 mHz and have a 125 kHz activation/programming frequency.

- Each TPWS is unique and has a "rolling code"

- A new special programmer is necessary to initialize each TPWS to the TPMS as to frequency and position.($700 retail)

- Each time a wheel is installed on the car or wheels switch positions (wheel rotation/ wheel change/ wheel set change) it must be initialized with the programmer as to frequency AND position AND the rest of the wheels must be reprogrammed/verified as to position with the programmer.IN ORDER (LF/RF/RR/LR) This is a time consuming procedure performed at each wheel position.

* This system is Federally mandated on all light vehicles by 2008. It is an outgrowth of the Firestone tire problem and subsequent Ford SUV rollovers. Ford and Firestone tried to deflect some of the blame and liability by saying part of the problem was underinflated tires. The USDOT and NHTSB's knee jerk reaction was to mandate the TPMS in all light vehicles.

Chevy elected to evolve their older system used for run flat tire equipped cars. However I think they over engineered the system in that the federal mandate ONLY requires the drive to be WARNED of the underinflation. It says nothing about over inflation, or requiring a TRACTION CONTROL ON or POWER REDUCTION MODE activation.

A pefect example of Technology & Government run amok.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:21 PM
allegretto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GPChase
A litle more info:

. The NEW Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) presents a whole list of problems:

(Note that the C5 TPMS wiring and programming were included on the C5 Z06 but not activated. However the C5 Tire Pressure Warning Sensors (TPWS) could be added to the C5 Z06 and then turned ON. Likewise it could be turned OFF for track use. The older TPMS ONLY functioned as a pressure Warning message.)

The New TPMS is more invasive and not only Warns the driver but activates Traction Control and a Reduced Power Mode.

- The TPMS MUST see 4 TPW sensors or it DeFaults to Traction Control ON and a Reduced Power Mode.

- If an over pressure condition (+38 psi) is sensed the TPMS will alarm on the DIC

- If an underinflation condition (- 28 psi) is sensed the TPMS will alarm AND Default to TC ON and Reduced Power Mode

- A wheel without an emitting TPWS or in the wrong position is considered a 0 psi flat and causes the DeFault Mode

- Therefore ALL Race Wheels MUST have a NEW TPWS installed despite the narrow psi range.

- The TPW sensors are rotational dependant and produce a voltage and emit a readable frequency when spinning. The option to "fool" the TPMS by installing 4 in a pressure vessel in the rear of the car won't work.

- The TPWS come in 2 different groups UJ9 and UH3 and must be matched according to VIN#

- The TPWS operate on 2 frequencies: 315 mHz, 433 mHz and possibly a third 309 mHz and have a 125 kHz activation/programming frequency.

- A new special programmer is necessary to initialize each TPWS to the TPMS as to frequency and position.($700 retail)

- Each time a wheel is installed on the car or wheels switch positions (wheel rotation/ wheel change/ wheel set change) it must be initialized with the programmer as to frequency AND position AND the rest of the wheels must be reprogrammed/verified as to position with the programmer.IN ORDER (LF/RF/RR/LR) This is a time consuming procedure performed at each wheel position.

* This system is Federally mandated on all light vehicles by 2008. It is an outgrowth of the Firestone tire problem and subsequent Ford SUV rollovers. Ford and Firestone tried to deflect some of the blame and liability by saying part of the problem was underinflated tires. The USDOT and NHTSB's knee jerk reaction was to mandate the TPMS in all light vehicles.

Chevy elected to evolve their older system used for run flat tire equipped cars. However I think they over engineered the system in that the federal mandate ONLY requires the drive to be WARNED of the underinflation. It says nothing about over inflation, or requiring a TRACTION CONTROL ON or POWER REDUCTION MODE activation.

The Nanny State never sleeps and is always hungry. Could be worse. It could intervene as it does at low pressure when presented with track pressures.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:43 AM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I call on "If an over pressure condition (+38 psi) is sensed the TPMS will alarm on the DIC".

My 2006 owners manual recommends 38 psi cold for speeds in excess of 175 mph. I ran at excessive speeds in the Gumball 3000 rally with a cold pressure of 38 psi and when the pressures went up above 38 psi at speed I got no indication on the DIC.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:51 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pop them out and put them in a pressurizable can in the trunk. You'll live longer for it.

Should make a sensor "cute girl looking at left rear".
Old 08-15-2007, 02:33 AM
ACESZ06
Advanced

So if I lower the rear tires pressure to 23psi and turn on Competitive mode for the 1/4 mile... the system will default to traction control on??
Old 08-15-2007, 03:50 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

A litle more info:

Thanks for all the info

I think after reading this that maybe because the car sat in the garage for a few days without driving it that this might have caused it to misread. Tire pressure was 35psi when I checked it though and it never went into POWER REDUCTION MODE. When I turned the car back on at the gas station it didn't do it again all night.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:52 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ACESZ06
So if I lower the rear tires pressure to 23psi and turn on Competitive mode for the 1/4 mile... the system will default to traction control on??
Good question.

Does anybody know how some guys have lowered their tire pressue at the track without this happening??
Old 08-15-2007, 06:51 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have had the warning activate both ways. 42 psi for high and 26 psi for low.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Mike Siska
Melting Slicks

The warning in the dic came on at 23psi in the left front tire. I was at OC for the corvette weekend and the outside temps dropped to 35*. Had to put air in all though. Cold air seems to drop the psi in the tires.
Oh yeah...I have had the warning of no air pressure in the rear tires (not at the same time) even though they were fine. Just driving along. Stopped my vette, turned it off and restarted. The warning went away. I have had the TPMS re-learned twice.

Last edited by Mike Siska; 08-15-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Took delivery of my 2006 Z06 in Alkeny Iowa in Mid-Feb during a cold wave. Checked the car over thoroughly indoors. 30 psi on all four corners. Departed the dealer into minus 18 degrees. Drove a couple miles and stopped for dinner before starting the drive back to Maryland.

Came out of the restaurant, started the car with 4 miles on the OD, DIC warned me
LOW TIRE PRESSURE LF
LOW TIRE PRESSURE RF
LOW TIRE PRESSURE LR
LOW TIRE PRESSURE RR

Just finding a gas station with a air hose was an adventure. Finally did. In the frigid temps, tires were at about 20 psi all around. Pumped them to 34 and got on my way. As I drove the outside temp dropped to minus 27 and despite running at 50-55 (break-in), the psi dropped to 30-31.

Was happy the TPMS were there. Still am.

Ranger
Old 08-15-2007, 03:22 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

If you live in the U.S./Canada you will only have the UH3 RPO (check the sticker on the glove compartment door). The UH3 indicates that you have the TPMS that requires sensors that transmit on 315 mHz. The other RPO code (UJ9) is only for foreign spec cars and it requires the 433 mHz sensors.

So.....unless your car was built for overseas delivery you will have the UH3 TPMS and require the gray color peanut shaped sensors with GM Part# 25758220.

Retail - yes. Butt......I've got a couple in my garage I'll part with for $150, $180, $220, or $240 (depending on what features you want/need - the cheapest works great on the C6 but not other vehicles; the expensive ones work with all sensors on all vehicles).

Not exactly time consuming. Take a look at the video below - it only takes a little more than a minute to do the entire relearn procedure on all four wheels. That whole video is only 2 minutes 15 seconds long and I yak a bit in the beginning and take my time.

Bob
Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 AM
ACESZ06
Advanced

How do you I lower the psi without having the computer switch it to traction control on?

I took it to the track with 23 psi and I couldnt even do a burnout...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:10 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

How do you I lower the psi without having the computer switch it to traction control on?

Good question! I'd like to hear from Ranger on this one.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:53 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Good question! I'd like to hear from Ranger on this one.
At the drags on the stock tires I run 25-26 psi (hot) readjusted before each pass. The psi tends to creep upward due to sun load and to become uneven side-to-side.

If the psi drops to 23 or less, a DIC message is set for each tire. I don't like having the clear those extra messages each engine start, and I find a psi less than 24 reduces traction rather than helps it. We've talking stock tires here.

Same goes for the fronts. If the psi reaches 42, a High Tire Pressure warning message is set in the DIC. So I run 40 at the drag strip.

Finally, a reminder, for straight-line acceleration, the safe and effective traction control setting is Traction System Off, that's one push of the console button.

Regarding the burnout, here is the procedure: Burnout Without a Line Lock During the burnout, the motor will stall on clutch-out if (1) the driver forgets to enter Traction Control Off or (2) the the rear wheel are not damp or (3) the driver has positioned the wheels too far forward in the extremely sticky VHT/rubber coated area toward the start line.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 08-17-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody have this happen...??

Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
z06jones
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Hit reset until all the errors go away then you can turn off TC or put it in comp mode.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not correct. As noted above, the system as actually implemented on the C6 by Delphi has a wider psi range before it triggers a warning. Also, the system has no idea where a tire is actually located. It assumes that the first TPWS registered with the system is the LF, that the second is the RF, etc. You can then move the tires around, or even stack them in a corner, and the system will keep reading them happily although they are not really where the system thinks they are.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Nanook
Support Corvetteforum!

Just for the record the info I posted was sourced and copied.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anybody have this happen...??