Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] SAVE YOUR MONEY...K and N WORKS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilness
vararam 549
callaway honker 529
hurricane intake 529

there are more in the 500 range all u have to do is do a research before jumping the gun.

R.
I did and you need to shop.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
Don't bite his finger, look where he is pointing.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:57 PM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Actually, I did ask K&N about the warping/bending issue. According to K&N, it isn't caused by the "air ingestion" of the motor it's caused by the installer/owner over tightening the clamps - period.
Mystery solved! Thanks for going the extra mile to clear this up. I had hoped that something other than a defect would have caused it.

I'm going back to lurker mode now. Look forward to the test results at K&N.

Regards,
Jim
Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ok? what exactly are u sayin that those prices are wrong? either way aren't u in socal? why don't u take ur kb to be tested with the k&n unit that way we will all be informed and full of facts... also can u tell me what the prices are on those intakes since I got em wrong? thanks.

R.

Last edited by EVILNESS; 08-14-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:11 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Actually, I did ask K&N about the warping/bending issue. According to K&N, it isn't caused by the "air ingestion" of the motor it's caused by the installer/owner over tightening the clamps - period.

I did tighten the clamps good and tight. Just wonder why it was ok when I placed the unit on the car.

I believe it was a combination of tight clamps and heat that caused it.

augydog
Old 08-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by augydog
I did tighten the clamps good and tight. Just wonder why it was ok when I placed the unit on the car.

I believe it was a combination of tight clamps and heat that caused it.

augydog
You're exactly right, it was a combination of heat and overly tightened clamps. I didn't mention the heat, but that was implied. Sorry for the omission.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:17 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

You're exactly right, it was a combination of heat and overly tightened clamps. I didn't mention the heat, but that was implied. Sorry for the omission.

augydog
Old 08-14-2007, 11:26 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

ok? what exactly are u sayin that those prices are wrong? either aren't u in socal? why don't u take ur kb to be tested with the k&n unit that way we will all be informed and full of facts... also can u tell me what the prices are on those intakes since I got em wrong? thanks.

R.

Try clicking on the supporting vendor list along the web page, Vararam's from 329 to 430, Vortex 249 what can I say. They will have some for 600 also. The statement was used to typify a point not to start another ebay. The point of that dissertation was the word imply nothing more.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Try clicking on the supporting vendor list along the web page, Vararam's from 329 to 430, Vortex 249 what can I say. They will have some for 600 also. The statement was used to typify a point not to start another ebay. The point of that dissertation was the word imply nothing more.
I think those are c6 prices not z06 prices. so are u taking ur kb to get tested? there is all these kb owners and none want to make the trip? I live 5 hrs from k&n but if I had a kb I would volunteer I just want hard data that's all...

R.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

I think those are c6 prices not z06 prices. so are u taking ur kb to get tested? there is all these kb owners and none want to make the trip? I live 5 hrs from k&n but if I had a kb I would volunteer I just want hard data that's all...

R.
Katech already did the test and it's posted on this forum and they came out nearly the same with the K & N having a 1hp blip over the Halltech at peak. If you analyze the area of the curve you will see that the Halltech may have had a slight edge overall. For all concerned they were the same on a dyno curve. Now when you add support and mechanical issues the Halltech is a slam-dunk.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:40 AM
El Puto
Drifting

Thanks for responding Puto, sounds good, they have K&N, do you have a KB?

Nope - I'm still stock (which is good because it eliminates the porting, tune, etc. variables). I'd need to borrow one. Any donors?

BTW - this is a decision I'm still on the fence about (KB v K&N).
Old 08-15-2007, 01:43 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Are you implying that everyone sells those same intake systems for the same price, and that the OP knew that? Grasping at straws ... A "$500 intake system" could mean any one of many. Fact is Jimbo jumped up all nuts thinking it was an “attack” on his products.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:14 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

I think for any test to be fair, an independent tuner should do it. Oh wait Katech already has done it...............but in any case it should be a neutral person.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:01 AM
AHTTG
Instructor

I'm looking into aqcuiring an aftermarket intake for an LS3. So I thought I'd ask here.

Can someone describe why these intake units/filters make more horsepower than stock? I don't think the stock has any "bottlenecks"(I may be wrong). So, I'm wondering what is it that K/N, or Halltech know that GM doesn't. I'm also wondering how the aftermarket filters compare in terms of actual filtration vs stock unit.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:29 AM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default A lot of people like drama....you know that!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If you think everything should be based on "implication", then you're gonna have issues in life.

I'm sure there are other intake systems around $500.

I think Jim causes half of his own drama sometimes ... along with the help of the other drama queens. Fact, is the poster never mentioned any company or names … it was all “implied” by the drama queens.
Yes this post has a lot of drama in it and glad I only spent $270 on the intake drama. No warpage on my K & N at all and it does perform. I can see why so many poeple like Jim...he stands by his product though. I don't see A&A Corvette in the forums helping us out at all. Unless he is somewhere I have not found him. Nice to see some locals in here like Frenchie out in Ventura. Whats going on fellow Z06 mate! Heard Charlie is the best tuner out here. We all need that tune to go along with the extra air coming into our 427 cube motor. Oh.....that bee is taken for the NASONEX commercial Jim.....I knew I saw that critter somewhere.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:05 AM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Katech already did the test and it's posted on this forum and they came out nearly the same with the K & N having a 1hp blip over the Halltech at peak. If you analyze the area of the curve you will see that the Halltech may have had a slight edge overall. For all concerned they were the same on a dyno curve. Now when you add support and mechanical issues the Halltech is a slam-dunk.

Yes again but they did not test the filtration of each unit thats where the K&N tests will differ... and again these units werent the ISO units that me and you get these units were pre release units. I can see why u wouldnt volunteer for it same reason why all these others with KBs wont. But im not gonna start the drama since im not a drama queen lol but im sure alot of us like Puto(yes i called u that) would like to know the real deal behind every aspect not just how perty it looks....

R.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:11 AM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CB1953
Great.....another can of worms just opened......
Man...was this guy right....

Get notified of new replies

To SAVE YOUR MONEY...K and N WORKS!!!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:21 AM
AnchoZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wilddr805
= Oh.....that bee is taken for the NASONEX commercial Jim.....I knew I saw that critter somewhere.
You are mistaken. The bee was from a very lame movie called "Bee Movie" featuring Jerry Seinfelds voice.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Dizz
Pro

Originally Posted by AnchoZ06
You are mistaken. The bee was from a very lame movie called "Bee Movie" featuring Jerry Seinfelds voice.
I believe you might just have a little too much time on your hands.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:04 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Yes again but they did not test the filtration of each unit thats where the K&N tests will differ... and again these units werent the ISO units that me and you get these units were pre release units. I can see why u wouldnt volunteer for it same reason why all these others with KBs wont. But im not gonna start the drama since im not a drama queen lol but im sure alot of us like Puto(yes i called u that) would like to know the real deal behind every aspect not just how perty it looks....

R.

Volunteer for what, if you mean drive up to some tuner and do a side by side, no problem bring it on. Why are you all hung up on this volunteer thing?

Quick Reply: [Z06] SAVE YOUR MONEY...K and N WORKS!!!!!