Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Changes Announced[merged]

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 08 Z06 Questions

Can anybody tell me what:"Interior trim enhancements for all models, including wrapped center trim plate with Cyber pattern and new, brushed aluminum accents" are. What's a GM cyber pattern is that like the console material in the Ron Fellows shiney carbon fiber look? Greg
Old 04-27-2007, 06:19 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,841 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by outnumbered
You don't have to purchase the service. I am not sure if the unit can detect anything if the service is not connected.
You get 1 year free, whether you want it or not. However, you don't actually need to activate the service. I'm not sure what happens if you don't activate the service.

That said, there's a lot of tin-foil-hat crap going on in this thread. OnStar isn't Big Brother. They couldn't care less what your car is doing at any given point in time. There are cases where the police have asked OnStar help them find/track cars without the occupants' knowledge. But that is very rare, and I believe OnStar got in serious trouble doing that.

The Big Brother in your car is the event data recorder. And that has no.. I repeat, NO connection to OnStar. At all. If folks are concerned with Big Brother, then disconnect the EDR.

Your OnStar subscription may just save your life one day. If, God forbid, you're ever in a nasty wreck and the bags deploy, OnStar will be on the phone with you before anyone can pick up a cell phone. They'll have emergency vehicles at your location before anyone can even call 911. Unfortunately: been there, done that. I speak from very humbling experience.

jas
Old 04-27-2007, 06:30 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outnumbered
...On Star... You don't have to purchase the service. I am not sure if the unit can detect anything if the service is not connected.
Even though I cancelled my "Tele-aid" service on my E55 I can still "contact" the phone operator for 911 calls and listen to their sale pitch for service renewal. The initial red light goes out in about 3-4 seconds after startup, which makes me believe that there is some "handshake" between the cell towers and the car. When there was a transmitter failure (while I had the service) the red light stayed on...

I bet W. could locate my car without the service.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:43 PM
cobramustang1993
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Interior Trim Enhancements Questions

Originally Posted by Torched
Can anybody tell me what:"Interior trim enhancements for all models, including wrapped center trim plate with Cyber pattern and new, brushed aluminum accents" are. What's a GM cyber pattern is that like the console material in the Ron Fellows shiney carbon fiber look? Greg
The cyber pattern is similiar to the carbon-fiber look console in the Ron Fellows...the pattern in the 08 is a finer look and lighter (gray in color), with a glossy coating on top........basically an artificial printed overlay with a clear coating.....You can look at other sites, including this one for 2008 photos, and you will see the center console up-close
Old 04-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Zred06
Burning Brakes

I think it is great that the Z06 stays at 505 hp. This is a testament that sales continue to be very strong for such an awesome machine. Upgrading is really not worth the effort. At the same time, the value of the '06 and '07 C6Z has been relatively preserved since there is no "new" Z06 that has more HP/TQ. The differential between the base C6 and C6Z is significant and remains significant. Great move GM
Old 04-27-2007, 07:11 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Let's not forget that 08 SAE power is 3% more "generous" than the prior standard. So the real power gain is 13 at the flywheel, 19 if the C6owner picks the dual mode exhaust. Ad the fact that the new car weighs more, and you have the same performance as before. The performance gap has not changed.

Now, this has me wondering why 08 Z06s are not rated at 520 under the new standard. Perhaps GM did not want to bother re-rating the motor because bigger changes are in store for '09. We'll see.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:21 PM
steveorz
Racer

Originally Posted by steveorz
The lack of any SIGNIFICANT mechanical or even minor upgrades to the 2008 ZO6 is VERY dissappointing : (GM minus 20 points).....besides the optional interior upgrade (Plus 10 points to GM for that).......and what about the new exterior color choices...COMMON ON NOW GM.....don't you GET it ....we have told you guys countless times including TOP GM executives faced to face in Sebring at the Race. SO MANY times......shame on you. ...and where is the official 427 emblem for the ZO6.....gee whiz.....

BUT the BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT of ALL is ONSTAR is now standard on ALL 2008 corvettes..even our beloved ZO6.....BIG BROTHER will be watching and recording everything....THIS IS TRULY VERY SAD and LAME.......give us the option for those who want ONstar and those that DONT

Where's DAVE HILL...too bad he retired...he GOT IT and he was a nice guy....he gave us the Z.....

Just my 2 cents.......Common-on guys chime in...glad I didn't waste my time driving to to the bash.....leave it to GM to SPOIL the Party

Thanks jvp (jas) for your informative reply regarding Onstar in thread #40.

As for the rest I am not upset that the 2008 didn't get a HP gain....BUT I am dissapointed that there are not any significant mechanical improvements...especially addressing some of the issues with the car. Don't get me wrong it is still the best bang for the buck.

And it looks from initial reactions that the new blue...is as I said ....simply horrid....
Old 04-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Mr. Scary
Instructor

"iPod/MP3 jack included on all sound systems except navigation (Personal Audio Link available as accessory for navigation system)"

I wonder if the Personal Audio Link will be an available acessory for the current Nav system? Then again, where would it connect? I suppose the new nav system will have some sort of input jack for this Personal Audio Link.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:48 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Does the improve steering feel and shifter are going to make it to the Z06 also? Or just to the base C6?

Old 04-27-2007, 08:26 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Thought it would get a bump comparable to the base models.
I'm a little dissapointed from the view point that a think a little bump in HP would make it competitive with the new 600 HP Viper. But then again, i don't know how they would get more power out of the LS7 and still remain emmissions compliant.

i also admit that if a 436 BHP C6 was available at the time i was shopping, I probably wold have just wound up getting the 6.2L and mod it, instead of paying the extra $$$ for the Z06.

Last edited by WeaponsGradeTorque; 04-27-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ivan111
Does the improve steering feel and shifter are going to make it to the Z06 also? Or just to the base C6?

While reading I was wondering the same thing. Though they mention the shifter and steering in an area that's not clearly specific to the base Corvette so... I'd assume it affects the Z as well.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:45 PM
BicketyBam
Racer

I was able to just get a Z06 for $3500 off of sticker. I thought that was a pretty good deal and the specter of the new LS3 C6 had something to do with it. I could have waited for a new C6, but I wanted a Z06. The car is awesome.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:06 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
You get 1 year free, whether you want it or not. However, you don't actually need to activate the service. I'm not sure what happens if you don't activate the service.

That said, there's a lot of tin-foil-hat crap going on in this thread. OnStar isn't Big Brother. They couldn't care less what your car is doing at any given point in time. There are cases where the police have asked OnStar help them find/track cars without the occupants' knowledge. But that is very rare, and I believe OnStar got in serious trouble doing that.

The Big Brother in your car is the event data recorder. And that has no.. I repeat, NO connection to OnStar. At all. If folks are concerned with Big Brother, then disconnect the EDR.

Your OnStar subscription may just save your life one day. If, God forbid, you're ever in a nasty wreck and the bags deploy, OnStar will be on the phone with you before anyone can pick up a cell phone. They'll have emergency vehicles at your location before anyone can even call 911. Unfortunately: been there, done that. I speak from very humbling experience.

jas
Onstar has been used to stop fleeing vehicles and has been used as a tap several times. Both done legally and they did not get in trouble because it was done via court order. The service does not have to be activated since this is done remotely, they simply activate it themselves. This can be done any time unless you take steps to disable it. Anyone who has not activated it and had onstar call and pitch their services can tell you this is true. I don't really care about this angle since I'm not into dealing drugs, don't rob convenience stores, and am confident the conversation in my car would put listeners to sleep long before they could get any "dirt" on me.

I do care about being forced into paying for equipment I don't want which provides a service which is nearly useless and comes with a recurring bill. I figure my chances of being stuck in the car after a crash, where no one sees it, ending up in a place where no one will see my car, and so hurt that the car dialing out for help will save my life is about the same as being hit by lightning. Would anyone pay for equipment and be happy about a recurring bill for something that called out in the event they were struck by lightning and no one saw it or was around to help? Don't think you would get too many takers.

Onstar is a rip off thought up by some boy wonder who probably got a big bonus for thinking up a service that provides almost nothing at nearly zero cost yet rakes in recurring fees after selling equipment for 10 times its actual cost. No thanks, they can pay for the champagne on their private jets themselves.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:30 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Incredible!

Bitch and moan when you can't get the car.....bitch and moan when you get the car....bitch and moan when the car is so damn good they don't change it the next model year...???!!!

Well, respectfully, to each their own. However, I for one am estatic that I pulled the trigger at the right time for a change!

P.S.: Am I the only one that can barely maintain traction with 505hp?!

P.S.S. Would you really trade an '07 for an '08...and eat the depreciation...for a few more HP?

Last edited by XC6VETTE; 04-27-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:46 PM
bondmid003
Pro

Originally Posted by XC5VETTE
Bitch and moan when you can't get the car.....bitch and moan when you get the car....bitch and moan when the car is so damn good they don't change it the next model year...???!!!

Well, respectfully, to each their own. However, I for one am estatic that I pulled the trigger at the right time for a change!

P.S.: Am I the only one that can barely maintain traction with 505hp?!

P.S.S. Would you really trade an '07 for an '08...and eat the depreciation...for a few more HP?
Don't kid yourself, some knuckleheads would. John Shiels, what kind of dog is that in your avatar? Looks like he needs a haircut
Old 04-27-2007, 09:53 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Isn't 505 hp plenty? With a tune and a CAI we can get a 30hp bump for a lot cheaper than GM would likely charge us.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:55 PM
bondmid003
Pro

I'd like to know what the brushed aluminum accents look like

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Changes Announced[merged]

Old 04-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Just saw it on another site not sure if I like it yet. Wonder if the material scratches easily? G
Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 PM
bondmid003
Pro

Originally Posted by Torched
Just saw it on another site not sure if I like it yet. Wonder if the material scratches easily? G
Saw what? Details and links please
Old 04-27-2007, 10:18 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bcmarly
Isn't 505 hp plenty? With a tune and a CAI we can get a 30hp bump for a lot cheaper than GM would likely charge us.
Absolutely, spot on! In fact, in my case it's called Jim Halls Stage 1!

P.S.: Jim wasn't able to do anything about my lack of traction problem!

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Changes Announced[merged]