Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] '06 versus '07

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:35 PM
RFE 300
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 versus '07

Just took delivery of RF No. 300, and thought I'd post initial thoughts, having traded in my '06Z.

The '07 is definitely quieter, and at all speeds. The effect of the additional insulation is definitely noticeable. Personally, I like that, but those who want a louder sound inside would prefer the '06.

The stereo is better in the '07.

Somehow, and I can't put my finger on it yet, the '07 seems more refined, and tighter. It's like they've sanded off some of the rough edges and turned every bolt a half-turn clockwise. Again, I like the result; others who want a more "raw" car would prefer the '06.

Anyways, that's it for now; have to drive more to get past the break-in period.

I'll post more thoughts if anything else jumps out at me.

Michael in T.O.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
bondmid003
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mellingm
Just took delivery of RF No. 300, and thought I'd post initial thoughts, having traded in my '06Z.

The '07 is definitely quieter, and at all speeds. The effect of the additional insulation is definitely noticeable. Personally, I like that, but those who want a louder sound inside would prefer the '06.

The stereo is better in the '07.

Somehow, and I can't put my finger on it yet, the '07 seems more refined, and tighter. It's like they've sanded off some of the rough edges and turned every bolt a half-turn clockwise. Again, I like the result; others who want a more "raw" car would prefer the '06.

Anyways, that's it for now; have to drive more to get past the break-in period.

I'll post more thoughts if anything else jumps out at me.

Michael in T.O.

Are you serious dude, or was this meant as a joke?
Old 04-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mellingm
Somehow, and I can't put my finger on it yet, the '07 seems more refined, and tighter.
I agree, my friend Bobbys car feels more stable at hi speeds then my 06. Dont know about the stereo or how quiet it is since its heavily modded it 10X's louder then mine

They make em better every year.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bondmid003
Old 04-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Ahh, it's a new car!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:52 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey, if i just spent $15K more msrp that an almost 99.99% identical '06, I'd be having visions too
Old 04-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Gateway
Drifting

Some of you '06 owners loosen up a tad. From what I have read on here, every member who has driven an '06 and '07 feel the same way. Why are you guys getting butt-hurt over it? Come on... Just be happy you own a Z06 and paid $5,000 less then the rest of us.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, they dumbed down the '07 to minimize noise (and speed) therefore it feels more refined.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NuGateway
Some of you '06 owners loosen up a tad. From what I have read on here, every member who has driven an '06 and '07 feel the same way. Why are you guys getting butt-hurt over it? Come on... Just be happy you own a Z06 and paid $5,000 less then the rest of us.
Ok, I'm sorry................................... ..but seriously
Old 04-20-2007, 06:14 PM
equipone
Racer

How many times do the "butt hurt" few need to hear it before they will believe?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by equipone
How many times do the "butt hurt" few need to hear it before they will believe?
Not butt hurt. I've driven both. I think what's really going on is '07 owners need to soothe themselves with exagerated feelings of superiority to justify the higher price tag!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Gateway
Drifting

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Not butt hurt. I've driven both. I think what's really going on is '07 owners need to soothe themselves with exagerated feelings of superiority to justify the higher price tag!

The next thing you are going to tell us: You've had the same amount of seat time in the '07 (you test drove?) as your '06, right?

Old 04-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Or is it the other way around?? But seriously, I own a 06 Z06 and I have not had the pleasure of driving an 07.

Over the months of reading in the forum I have come accross a few comments regarding the comparison.

07 larger Glovebox? Hmmm don't really care
07 Light under hood gone? Hmmm, why did they do that? Dont really care.
07 100,000 mile warranty? I like this, wish I had it, but not at the extra cost to buy and 07.
07 Shifter feels smoother??? I have heard from both people who feel it is smoother and others who say it is the same. Parts are still the same? So what gives? The best conclusion, without driving one myself is that each Z is different, some have smoother shifters then others from the factory.
07 Sound insulation? I like this, but it can be added for about 40bucks in parts. Not a reason to spend the extra money on a new one.
07 Shocks are softer? Read this in a magazine review. They said that they tested the 06 and didn't like it because it hopped more on the track and this made it less controllable over the Porsche they tested it against. But this time, the 07 with its improved shocks did better? So they gave it first place against the porsche? Part numbers are the same? Remains to be verified.
07 Stereo sounds better? Well, I would tend to believe this one since it is probably one of the easiest places that one can change in the car when it comes to a new model. No doubt many people hate the Bose system that it comes with. Salesman, and I know you cannot believe a salesman, say that the new stereo has more power, but that is the only difference? Anyone verify this?

Overall, I am glad that I paid less for the car, what would be 5k under MSRP for an 07 even though it was a few over for an 06 when I bought it. I wish I had the 100,000 warranty but then again, I am living with a domestic car which doesn't cost as much as a Ferrari to fix yet has the same performance. So when it breaks I will fix it myself, as I always have. I have yet to trust a Vette dealership or anyone for that manner to fix my car. I even have a hard time watching them lift it to take the wheels of.

So there is my rational. Anyone else have anything they would like to throw in?

Old 04-20-2007, 06:53 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I have the perfect solution to settle this issue once and for all.

Lets do a scientific double blind test:

1) Assemble an equal number of stock '06 and 07' cars.
2) Select a random group of drivers from all skill levels.
3) With ears plugged and eyes covered have the test drivers run the cars through the paces (this is to prevent cheating).
4) Collect data.

Just don't ask to borrow my car!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:12 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Hhmmm.... Guy gives us his opinion comparing an 06 to an 07 Z06 & catches Flack !!!

You expect improvements from year to year... especially on a New Model !!!

Price increases are also expected... year to year !!!

Gosh... kinda got what you would expect...

1. Significant Improvements

2. Higher price

So where's the Confusion ???
Old 04-20-2007, 08:42 PM
bondmid003
Pro

No one is butt hurt brother, I just think its a little lame to try and elevate yourself over others because your car is one year newer
Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 PM
3D Z06 in SB
Advanced

I read the post a few times just to be sure of intent. It appears to me that the author was honestly sharing his opinion between two cars that he owned. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thank you for sharing that opinion! Others may see things differently, but that's why it's called an "opinion."

Now whether someone has an inferiority, or superiority, complex, we all have our opinion about that too.

Both rides are awesome!!! And that's no

Get notified of new replies

To '06 versus '07

Old 04-20-2007, 09:32 PM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

No one is butt hurt brother, I just think its a little lame to try and elevate yourself over others because your car is one year newer
He's had both cars and this is his subjective opinion. What's the big deal. Do you know he's wrong, have you driven/owned both?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:47 PM
SD Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3D Z06 in SB
I read the post a few times just to be sure of intent. It appears to me that the author was honestly sharing his opinion between two cars that he owned. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thank you for sharing that opinion! Others may see things differently, but that's why it's called an "opinion."

Now whether someone has an inferiority, or superiority, complex, we all have our opinion about that too.

Both rides are awesome!!! And that's no
Old 04-20-2007, 10:10 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

I've owned both. My 07 shifts smoother, it feels like it rides a little rougher than my 06. I can't tell a difference in the stereo. It does not seem any quieter to me...........but hey that's just me.....I think painrace will jump here too......I know his shifted smoother too. I like my 07 just as much as my 06 no more, no less............in fact I would be just as happy having the 06. The only real difference is the warranty.................

Last edited by vegasdude; 04-20-2007 at 10:12 PM.