Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Switch from a Porsche to a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:49 PM
tabinha
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switch from a Porsche to a Z06

Hi, maybe you guy can offer me some incite. I have not owned an American branded car since 1974 because of quality issues. I currently own a 2004 C2 and am thinking about buying a new Z06.

What do I need to know about the reliability of the car? I do not wish to live at the dealers place.

Any in put will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Harv.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:57 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tabinha
Hi, maybe you guy can offer me some incite. I have not owned an American branded car since 1974 because of quality issues. I currently own a 2004 C2 and am thinking about buying a new Z06.

What do I need to know about the reliability of the car? I do not wish to live at the dealers place.

Thanks

Harv.
I recently owned both a 997 T and a Z06, i kept the Z06. Look a little further down for a link called "Time to change my signature" or read " and/or read Odyssey: Life with the Z06 and 997TT".
Old 02-11-2007, 01:57 PM
JSMDMD
Melting Slicks

Default Just take a look...

Take a look at some of the posts on this forum regarding the roof, engine, transmission, etc. issues, and the dealer and GM responses.
From those, and my own experience with GM and Chevrolet, I am happy I now own a Porsche.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:59 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Default C6 Z06

Hi and welcome,

I feel the C6 Z06 is a big step up from the C5 version in all fields.(We owned both) I think it is quite a bit more reliable than the C5. We have 4-5 in our club, and all are trouble free.

We just got ours 2 weeks ago, and have had 0 issues so far. I will make my final judgment in about 5 years.

I would suggest in looking around all the forums and see what's going on.

Whatever you do, please let us know.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2007, 02:04 PM
xfifty
Advanced

Thanks

Harv.
I've owned 6 different p-cars and was really getting tired of paying more and more for the same car with different head lights.

Awaiting my Z06 and never been happier.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 PM
jpcortese
Instructor

Count me in as another Z convert. I have owned 3 911's over the years and I can confidently say that nothing beats the Z for performance and styling. So far I have no problems with the Z and I am glad I made the change. Nothing wrong with the P cars, but they just don't have the pizzazz they used to have.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:14 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

You cannot compare any American cars built today to the ones built in the 70's or 80's or 90's. Things have changed tremendously.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:08 PM
raj
Drifting

Default Porsche/Corvette

Harv, as the owner of a 996 TT and a C6 Z06 I can compare the build quality of the two marques. Six years after its in-service date, the Porsche still looks new and the interior has held up extremely well.

As for issues, the dreaded second gear pop reared its ugly head last year with only 17K miles on the clock, and required a full tranny replacement to the tune of $11K+!

As if in sympathy, the shift cable broke on the road leaving me stranded. The ignition switch had to be replaced around the same time as well, and NOTHING on this car is cheap! Fortunately, I had an extended warranty (that's another saga entirerly!) that covered the parts and labor.

Given the extreme performance intent of these cars, it is unreasonable to expect them to be as reliable as say, a Honda Civic, so I'm willing to forgive some degree of issues. The transmission problem on the 996 TT is well documented on Porsche forums, yet Porsche will summarily refuse to cover the cost of tranny replacement if the car is out of warranty or if they detect any evidence of abuse even on cars within the factory warranty!. Despite this issue, the Turbo is still an exceptional car and one that demands little of the driver and owner. The reward from the driver's seat and the ownership experience more than make up for these faults.

The C6Z is my fourth Corvette and none of them have had any issues except the oil consupmtion problem on the '01 Z06 which was fixed under warranty with the ring replacement. Overall, I've been pleased with the build quality on these cars while acknowledging the well known fact that the materials used to adorn their interior could be of a higher grade. Considering the incredible driving experience of the C6Z, I'd be ecstatic if the biggest issue I had to deal with was getting the roof replaced. All griping aside, GM hit a home run with this car that just keeps sailing farther out of the park!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:11 PM
sparco
sparco
Support Corvetteforum!

After 14 P cars since my last Vette I could not be happier. The only problem was the roof replacement and that went well Tracked the car for about 14 days in 2006 with half of those days with 2 drivers driving the car .
Old 02-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You already posted this thread in C5 excpet you stated that American cars arn't reliable. Glad to see you revised your statement after you got thrashed.

And again Z is an all around better car.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

I have not owned an American branded car since 1974 because of quality issues.
Heh.. exactly the same reason I haven't dropped the coin on any of the Euro cars. Pay more, break just as often, and then pay again, all for less in return.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default I currently own a 2004 C2

Well if you have been driving a C2 you are in for a big surprise if & when you fire up a Z06.

Cheers

R
Old 02-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by JSMDMD
Take a look at some of the posts on this forum regarding the roof, engine, transmission, etc. issues, and the dealer and GM responses.
From those, and my own experience with GM and Chevrolet, I am happy I now own a Porsche.
Take a look at the many horror stories on the Porsche forums. And your point was...........?

I am a very happy convert to the Z06, from the overpriced Euro stuff, which I used to own.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

13K miles on my Z and not a hiccup.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 PM
xfifty
Advanced

Originally Posted by JSMDMD
I'm sure you've heard of RMS leak since 1999 on 996, Boxster and now some 997 as well. Did Porsche ever owned up to this problem? I think not.

The only problem so far has been the roof which GM already annouced the recall for it however for the past 8 years RMS (Rear Main Seal) oil leak issue has been owners problem not the German build engine.

Porsche used to be a legend at one point of history I truly
regret why I spent so much money on these under powered highly hyped cars.

Now are you going to tell me that a slightly loaded Cayman S (295 hp) with higher price than a Z06 is better than a Corvette? or for that matter 997S is, let's come to our senses.

Last edited by xfifty; 02-11-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

I think this decision really gets down to personal preference. I have owned a C5 ZO6, a Z51 C6, and did several test drives of the C6 ZO6before finally deciding to buy a Porsche 997S. IMO, reliability is probably a tie. For me, in comparing the 997S with the new ZO6, it got down to a choice between the better feel and feedback offered by the Porsche, compared to the awesome power of the Vette. And I don't mean that the Vette is in any way lacking, it just feels very different. And, I also preferred the Porsche sport seats and interior, but, all this stuff is subjective and others would feel differently. And I will mention the tie-breaker in my decision. I enjoy track events (HPDE only, no competition). I was reaching speeds in my C5 ZO6 that left me less than totally comfortable. Without the additional safety equipment of a dedicated track car, I just have no desire to go any faster. So, since I place a premium on the driving feel of the Porsche, that was my choice. These are both great cars. Although you will find fans of both who offer a lot of unfair and/or untrue critcism of the other (a bit of which can be found in this thread), I find it's usually the owners deserving the criticism. Drive them both and buy the one that pleases you more; no bad choice here.

Last edited by elh0102; 02-11-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by elh0102
I think this decision really gets down to personal preference. I have owned a C5 ZO6, A Z51 C6, and did several test drives of the C6 ZO6before finally deciding to buy a Porsche 997S. IMO, reliability is probably a tie. For me, in comparing the 997S with the new ZO6, it got down to a choice between the better feel and feedback offered by the Porsche, compared to the awesome power of the Vette. And I don't mean that the Vette is in any way lacking, it just feels very different. And, I also preferred the Porsche sport seats and interior, but, all this stuff is subjective and others would feel different. And I will mention the tie-breaker in my decision. I enjoy track events (HPDE only, no competition). I was reaching speeds in my C5 ZO6 that left me less than totally comfortable. Without the additional safety equipment of a dedicated track car, I just have no desire to go any faster. So, since I place a premium on the driving feel of the Porsche, that was my choice. These are both great cars. Although you will find fans of both who offer a lot of unfair and/or untrue critcism of the other (a bit of which can be found in this thread), I find it's usually the owners deserving the criticism. Drive them both and buy the one that pleases you more; no bad choice here.
Your's is a good honest post........thanks. I also agree with everything you said.

Get notified of new replies

To Switch from a Porsche to a Z06

Old 02-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Hartley
Instructor

Both are great cars and both fit different wants and needs. You must decide on your own.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Congrats !

Now drive it like you stole it !
Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
Your's is a good honest post........thanks. I also agree with everything you said.
Ditto!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Switch from a Porsche to a Z06