Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Test: C6 Z06, Gallardo, 997 Turbo, BMW M6

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:58 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TeddyFreddy
Timing 6th gear runs is just lousy and total nonsense. 6th gear is for fuel economy only!
Z06 6th has the deepest overdrive of any car I know (0.5 gear ratio). Combine that with a tall final ratio (3.42) and you get the most unfavorable total gearing (1.71). Here is the math:

Car _____ 6th ____ Final ___ Total ___ Eng.Trq. _ Torque at wheels
M6 _____ 1.00 ____ 3.62 ___ 3.62 ___ 383 ______ 1386
Gallardo _ 0.81 ____ 3.82 ___ 3.09 ___ 376 ______ 1163
997 TT __ 0.79 ____ 3.44 ___ 2.71 ___ 460 ______ 1250
Z06 _____ 0.50 ____ 3.42 ___ 1.71 ___ 470 _______ 804

Also the M6 has a 7 speed SMG transmission and the 6th is not overdrive! What a lame test!
Thanks for the math, here. Now, if we can only get the thing to pull 6th gear to 7K, we'll be up over 300 mph. I figure it'll take about 1300 HP.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:19 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwright
Equally important, did the 911's exhaust tips stay on?

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...11/207193.html

And did they have only half a tank of gas? I hear that's all they can fill because of filler tube issues. Were they leaking oil from the main seals?

All cars have some issues.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:31 PM
cjz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will make this real simple for people. ALL cars are crap! Really let go of the ego and think about it. Porsches have problems, Vettes have problems, Lambos, Vipers, Mustangs. I don't think there are very many cars out there that have not had problems or recalls with them.

Basically we all pick our own brand of crap that we want to buy and enjoy it. In a perfect world I would have a 50-100 car garage with one of everything.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris310P
I will make this real simple for people. ALL cars are crap! Really let go of the ego and think about it. Porsches have problems, Vettes have problems, Lambos, Vipers, Mustangs. I don't think there are very many cars out there that have not had problems or recalls with them.

Basically we all pick our own brand of crap that we want to buy and enjoy it. In a perfect world I would have a 50-100 car garage with one of everything.
You meant this tongue it cheek but I think it's so true. There are so many good cars out there that there is something to like or hate about any of them.

I too am thankful for the differing opinions and viewpoints as long as they are not meant to just incite. The danger with any group without that stimulus is that they become inbred from listening only to themselves.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
You meant this tongue it cheek but I think it's so true. There are so many good cars out there that there is something to like or hate about any of them.

I too am thankful for the differing opinions and viewpoints as long as they are not meant to just incite. The danger with any group without that stimulus is that they become inbred from listening only to themselves.
Boulder, if it's any consolation to you, I find your posts informative and most significantly, very objective, because of the number of performance cars you own and your ability to objectively describe the positives and negatives of each. I love my Z06, but we're kidding ourselves if we don't think there are cars out there that do some (maybe many) things better.

Everything is a trade off; there's a reason why, although (right now) I think the Z06 is the best thing going for my needs/wants, I still think (a lot) about a GT3.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

That's funny. 5000+ cars recall.
Even funnier is that some 18,000+ 996 cabriolets had to be recalled when it became apparent that their tops would open unexpectedly at speed. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recal...rsche_911.html

As such, I always find it bizarre ignorant when 911 drivers cackle about the Z06's roof issues. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

As Robvuk accurately said, all cars have issues. I would add that you often highlight your competitor at your own risk as you too will fall down and be judged accordingly. That's one of the reasons I respond to ignorant comments about reliability and assembly quality among cars but refrain from accusing other marques of it off the top.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:32 PM
cjz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree buddy! Also nice line up in your avatar!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:40 PM
JSMDMD
Melting Slicks

Default Yeah.. it's pretty serious..

Equally important, did the 911's exhaust tips stay on?

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...11/207193.html

Yeah, you are right. I would equate the danger of an exhaust tip breaking on a few 911's with the roof flying off a Corvette at high speed.
What do I know... I am a with a few thousand posts on here......
Old 02-05-2007, 05:47 PM
JSMDMD
Melting Slicks

Default Pots and Kettles..

Even funnier is that some 18,000+ 996 cabriolets had to be recalled when it became apparent that their tops would open unexpectedly at speed. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recal...rsche_911.html

As such, I always find it bizarre ignorant when 911 drivers cackle about the Z06's roof issues. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

As Robvuk accurately said, all cars have issues. I would add that you often highlight your competitor at your own risk as you too will fall down and be judged accordingly. That's one of the reasons I respond to ignorant comments about reliability and assembly quality among cars but refrain from accusing other marques of it off the top.
According to the article, after 2 reports of the problem, Porsche issued a recall.
How many C6 tops flew off before GM even acknowledged that there was a problem? For that matter, how many hundreds of us had our pulley bolts fail before GM acknowledged that problem existed as well?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:20 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JSMDMD
According to the article, after 2 reports of the problem, Porsche issued a recall.
How many C6 tops flew off before GM even acknowledged that there was a problem? For that matter, how many hundreds of us had our pulley bolts fail before GM acknowledged that problem existed as well?
How many 911's are still leaking oil?

Let's not go there and make a p'ing match out of this. ALL cars have issues. It's the luck of the draw on how many and how serious they will be. And it's MUCH easier to issue a recall on a car that they made 5000 of instead of 50,000.

A friend of mine had a rattle in the door on his 911 and after a few trips to the dealer with no results, he took the panel off himself only to find an empty beer can lying in there.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
cjz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robvuk

Let's not go there and make a p'ing match out of this. ALL cars have issues. It's the luck of the draw on how many and how serious they will be. And it's MUCH easier to issue a recall on a car that they made 5000 of instead of 50,000.

A friend of mine had a rattle in the door on his 911 and after a few trips to the dealer with no results, he took the panel off himself only to find an empty beer can lying in there.
MY point exactly! They ALL have problems just enjoy your cars!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Hartley
Instructor

Timing 6th gear runs is just lousy and total nonsense. 6th gear is for fuel economy only!
Z06 6th has the deepest overdrive of any car I know (0.5 gear ratio). Combine that with a tall final ratio (3.42) and you get the most unfavorable total gearing (1.71). Here is the math:

Also the M6 has a 7 speed SMG transmission and the 6th is not overdrive! What a lame test!

What about the 4th and 5th gear times?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:42 PM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hartley
What about the 4th and 5th gear times?
Same thing: comparing the times for gear X among cars with very different gearing does not make sense. When racing nobody ever forces all the cars to be in the same gear.
For example 997 Turbo needs 4 gears to reach 200 km/h while Z06 needs only 3 gears. The 4 close gears give an acceleration advantage from gearing, but that it is overcompensated by the higher torque of Z06 and more importantly by avoiding one gear shift.

Or in other words:

That's like challenging the rest of the field to a test to 60mph using only 1st.
Car magazines love these gear X tests because they are easy to do (60-100 and 80-120 km/h).
Old 02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
JSMDMD
Melting Slicks

Default Hmm... This ones for...

A good German beer I trust...
Old 02-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

In 99% of cars on the road, the top gear is not "just" an economy gear. This test shows the "elasticity" of the car in its top gear, exactly as the name implies. It's not a stupid or silly test at all.

All cars were tested in their top gear...so that's 7th for the BMW.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:04 AM
TetraU
Drifting

Originally Posted by Verrückt
In 99% of cars on the road, the top gear is not "just" an economy gear. This test shows the "elasticity" of the car in its top gear, exactly as the name implies. It's not a stupid or silly test at all.

Verrückt,

Curious as to how you test the BMW M5's 7th gear if it is an AUTO SMG gearing? I thouhgt it was pretty much like an automatic.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:53 AM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Plain wrong. By "fuel economy gear" I mean an overdrive gear. That means having a gear ratio < 1. I would say that 99.9% of the new street legal cars have 6th/top gear as a "fuel economy" or overdrive gear.
Please name one car that has a non overdrive top gear.

As for the test in 6th gear it would make sense only if the cars tested would have the same gearing, which is almost impossible. Just look at those total gearing numbers and the torque at the wheels values.

I am willing to learn, that's why I was asking about this 6th gear test.
So far I still believe is stupid, same as doing a race in 1st gear only (where obviously Z06 would win). Or organizing a race where the cars must start and stay in 3th gear all the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Test: C6 Z06, Gallardo, 997 Turbo, BMW M6

Old 02-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Boulder GT3
Racer

There is so much variance is the final drive that I think the test is worthless. It's a throwback to when most cars were 1:1 at the output shaft.

Now, if the all the cars tested could pull redline in top gear I might give it a bit more credibility. That they don't speaks to how the top gear really is oriented toward cruise and economy standards.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chris310P
Basically we all pick our own brand of crap that we want to buy and enjoy it.
Hahaha, very nice!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Hartley
Instructor

There is so much variance is the final drive that I think the test is worthless. It's a throwback to when most cars were 1:1 at the output shaft.

Now, if the all the cars tested could pull redline in top gear I might give it a bit more credibility. That they don't speaks to how the top gear really is oriented toward cruise and economy standards.
They can pull to redline in 4th gear and some in 5th and those times were tested. It's a valuable test for real world driving conditions, not sure about how it would apply to racing.

If the Z06 won any of those tests, surley many members here would praise it, since it didn't it's passed off.

Last edited by Hartley; 02-06-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Test: C6 Z06, Gallardo, 997 Turbo, BMW M6