Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My new Z06 beast - coming from BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:10 AM
havoc z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i have the same 2 cars just different colors like you said i love my m3 b/c it handles like nothing ive ever driven, looks awesome, speed is there for an inline 6. but the c6z06 is plain sick...the power is nasty and it looks awesome....handling could be better only b/c we have the m3 but nice setup with both cars
Old 01-25-2007, 11:16 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

[QUOTE=05C6spdvert;1558669240]My last "sports" car was an 05 M3 ZCP and while I really enjoyed it, performance wise the Z06 is on a different planet. Both great cars of course but the M3 would not beat a ZO6 C5 or C6 in any performance category unless you count the number of people you can carry past 120MPH.

QUOTE]

Motor Trend thought so too, in a PERFORMANCE comparison!
Old 01-25-2007, 11:18 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TeddyFreddy
Since when a M3 has higher top speed than a Z06??
Subcook was referring to his C5 Z06, top speed around 175 iirc. C6 Z06 as we know, has a top speed around 200. With regards to the poor M3, same difference, either Z version would beat it, just depends on how hard a beating the M3 wants.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:51 AM
stano
Safety Car

Congrats on your Z! You'll love it the more you drive it. That's where I bought my Z. Who did you deal with? Did you get it at msrp?
I agree, a great bunch of people to deal with...Massey Chevrolet in Downey!
Ask for Kedrick or Adrian

Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stano
Congrats on your Z! You'll love it the more you drive it. That's where I bought my Z. Who did you deal with? Did you get it at msrp?
I agree, a great bunch of people to deal with...Massey Chevrolet in Downey!
Ask for Kedrick or Adrian

Stan - your commison check should be coming to you....
Your the one you recommended me...MSRP..I dealt with Kedrik & Adrian..both
Old 01-25-2007, 01:08 PM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the school of "NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACMENT"
Old 01-25-2007, 02:00 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I too came to the Z06 from an M3 SMG Cabriolet. Completely different cars. In fact I kept the M3 because Chevy doesn't make a roadster LS7, otherwise I would have ditched the M3.

Now don't get the wrong: the M3 has a lot of things going for it. Even though its not, it feels a LOT lighter, and you can toss it around very easy. The interior is also a lot higher quality that the Z06.

With the M3, you sit on it. With the Z06 you sit IN it, totally ensconsed (sp?) in the car as if you're part of the car.

With the M3, on the street anyway, I felt like the engine (340hp) was the limitation. With the Z06 it has so much power I know I'm the limitation. With the M3 you can floor it, look around, wait for the next shift point. With the Z06 I feel like the world is coming to an end every time I floor it in first or second.

Like I said, completely different experiences. Both cars have their strong points, and I'm not saying one is better than the other: they're so different and good at what they do in particular that you just cannot compare the two cars from a general perspective.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:56 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I too came to the Z06 from an M3 SMG Cabriolet. Completely different cars. In fact I kept the M3 because Chevy doesn't make a roadster LS7, otherwise I would have ditched the M3.

Now don't get the wrong: the M3 has a lot of things going for it. Even though its not, it feels a LOT lighter, and you can toss it around very easy. The interior is also a lot higher quality that the Z06.

With the M3, you sit on it. With the Z06 you sit IN it, totally ensconsed (sp?) in the car as if you're part of the car.

With the M3, on the street anyway, I felt like the engine (340hp) was the limitation. With the Z06 it has so much power I know I'm the limitation. With the M3 you can floor it, look around, wait for the next shift point. With the Z06 I feel like the world is coming to an end every time I floor it in first or second.

Like I said, completely different experiences. Both cars have their strong points, and I'm not saying one is better than the other: they're so different and good at what they do in particular that you just cannot compare the two cars from a general perspective.
Well stated, just took the car out for 1 mile drive... ... of boy, this thing is fun..it got so much *****...I'm still at 150 miles on this bad boy..It's going to stay garage queen for a few more days...until I give up.. or find some excuse to go on some road trip..I just figured out about the HUD..moving it around..the nav feature..sweet.. in regards to the interior quality...I really like it...last might my neigbor was talking about getting a ride in a regular c6..from some realative..he had no clue about the z06...maybe one day I will take him out for a teezz (might be fun since he is used to his toyota truck )

Well I got to go to work now.. running late (no more playing with the beast)... will be leaving in the M3, shock and awe between the two..

thanks to everybody with all the feedback
Old 01-25-2007, 05:15 PM
O-Ace
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zred06
The M3 is electronically limited to 155 mph, even without the limit I doubt if it would be capable of any more than 170mph. The C6Z is 198mph and there are some reports of it exceeding 200mph.
I've hit 170 MPH in my relatively stock M3; hit 185+ in my C5

Congrats on the Z man! Like you, I was extremely impressed after my test drive and now I'm getting the itch to buy a Corvette again

-Awais

Last edited by O-Ace; 01-25-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:09 AM
San Diego Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by rpanesar
Welcome to the school of "NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACMENT"
Well said! I too have an '06 ZCP M3. It is my daily driver. I can't believe you guys are comparing the two cars. One has 3.2L engine the other has a 7L engine. They are totally different cars. Yes the Z is faster and handles better. There I said it.

Instead of the Z, I opted for an even more potent option, a 2250lb Ultima GTR with an LS7. Check out my build site here:
http://web.mac.com/quailpark/iWeb/Si...TR%20Page.html

Enjoy your Z. They are fantastic cars.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:55 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 805Z06

I have been reading this forum for months...silently. The Z06 was a possibility for me, but i was in debate. Everybody on the forum loved their cars, so I gave it serious thought, the 505 hp - it didn't take much thinking.
Welcome to the Z06 family. Like you I came to the Z06 from a 04' M3(but a manual tranny). I loved the M3 in every way. But I must say the Z06 has exceeded my expectations so far. I agree the steering isnt up to par with the M3... I find the Z06 over assisted and numb compared to the M3. But in time I have gotten used to it. Good luck!!!!

Heres my old baby...

The Z..
Old 01-27-2007, 02:50 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had 2 M3s before my Z06. M3s are great cars no doubt but the Z06 is just phenominal.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:36 AM
MKV
Racer

Welcome! Thanks for the good laugh

"Anyways, long story short. Got my Z, last night from Downey Chevorlet- the guys there are great not your typical dealer jerk offs. "
Old 01-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Z06Doc
Racer

Welcome to the Z06 family. You're gonna freak when you crush the throttle at 3500 rpm. Just be sure the tires are warm and the road ahead is empty. Aside from being a track ready race car, the C6 Z is also a comfortable and practical daily driver. Don't park it - drive the paint off it. You'll be missing a whole lot of fun if you don't.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:21 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z06Doc
Welcome to the Z06 family. You're gonna freak when you crush the throttle at 3500 rpm. Just be sure the tires are warm and the road ahead is empty. Aside from being a track ready race car, the C6 Z is also a comfortable and practical daily driver. Don't park it - drive the paint off it. You'll be missing a whole lot of fun if you don't.

I'ts driving me crazy. It's been 3 days I all I can do is stare at in the garage. Between work and the rain in Socal there is not much hope. It is suppose to rain tomorrow too, dont want to take it out in the rain yet..
Hopefully the weather changes or this is going to be a long weekend
Old 01-30-2007, 10:47 PM
terse
2nd Gear

wow, so many of you guys had a m3 before a Z
Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 PM
zaccotner
Instructor

Is that an S4 above the beast?

Get notified of new replies

To My new Z06 beast - coming from BMW M3

Old 01-31-2007, 10:27 PM
zaccotner
Instructor

This is refreshing to see. I mean that there is so many genuine car enthusiast and not just exclusively vette enthusiasts. I too had an 03.5 M3 which I loved until unfortunately it burned to the ground (after that whole rod bearing recall) Couldnt agree more with Dave about the the engine. It seems fast at first and then you make the transition to z51 and then to z06. You dont know how much your missing the torque, till you have it. However, things I miss...

1. Variable Red line- I love seeing that light shift over as the car warmed up.
2. Seats-best stock seats I have ever sat in (from both a comfort and holding perspective)
3. Great Leather
4. Awesome sound once you got rid of their crappy mid-pipe with the resonator.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:36 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zaccotner
This is refreshing to see. I mean that there is so many genuine car enthusiast and not just exclusively vette enthusiasts. I too had an 03.5 M3 which I loved until unfortunately it burned to the ground (after that whole rod bearing recall) Couldnt agree more with Dave about the the engine. It seems fast at first and then you make the transition to z51 and then to z06. You dont know how much your missing the torque, till you have it. However, things I miss...

1. Variable Red line- I love seeing that light shift over as the car warmed up.
2. Seats-best stock seats I have ever sat in (from both a comfort and holding perspective)
3. Great Leather
4. Awesome sound once you got rid of their crappy mid-pipe with the resonator.

I drove my M3 for about 57K miles. It's a great car and it's fast. But the torque is an issue. In the begining, I would rev it up all the way, and the M3 would move. But after a while, you want that power without reving it up to 7k or more on the streets. What's nice about the Z06, that torque is there will a little squeeze of the gas pedal. I got 250 miles currently, so there is a lot more to compare down the road
Old 02-01-2007, 03:24 AM
carone
4th Gear

nice, i want one! =/ btw heres a good read about break-ins, im convinced the dealer just tells you to be careful so they can decrease the chance of something going wrong, and paying up on your warranty

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

keep in mind your engine has probably already been broken in from the factory, but you still have to finish the job!

Quick Reply: [Z06] My new Z06 beast - coming from BMW M3