Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Sat in a new Z06 this evening, how times have changed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:56 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Kynlyn
For a new Z06, you are going to pay over sticker unless you have some serious connections. Simple suppy and demand.
Not !
Old 01-13-2007, 08:59 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by siffert
Pros for me:...500 hp and to a lessor degree the body style...Cons: No removable top, No A6, No GMS/GMID/GM Family First pricing available on it...yet. Cons 3, Pros 2, Cons Win, got a 2007 C6 A6 coupe Still, I do think of that 500 hp occasionally when stomping on my pedal
Add a supercharger of your preference and you can experience that horse power and still have lots of money left over.

BJK
Old 01-13-2007, 09:33 PM
666C6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by siffert
Pros for me:...500 hp and to a lessor degree the body style...Cons: No removable top, No A6, No GMS/GMID/GM Family First pricing available on it...yet. Cons 3, Pros 2, Cons Win, got a 2007 C6 A6 coupe Still, I do think of that 500 hp occasionally when stomping on my pedal
Why do so many people prefer A6 over MN6? I'm buying a new Corvette soon and just can't see not having manual on this car or any sportscar for that matter. Maybe I'll test drive an A6 to see what the difference is.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:42 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by JVM225
If they made a Z06 Vert, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
In a half a heartbeat!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:52 PM
havesleep
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Lots of 2007 vetts for less $. I also have a PA-28-161

Old 01-13-2007, 09:59 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 666C6
Why do so many people prefer A6 over MN6? I'm buying a new Corvette soon and just can't see not having manual on this car or any sportscar for that matter. Maybe I'll test drive an A6 to see what the difference is.
I used to feel that way. I lasted 6 mos with my '05 M6. The nice thing with the A6 is that there are three different driving modes. Two of them are in Sport . If you are going to use the car as a daily driver and suffer through rush hour traffic, you will soon hate a six speed. Also, for those of us that have a physical handicap, the A6 is the only way to go.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:01 PM
666C6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 4 MY EGO
I used to feel that way. I lasted 6 mos with my '05 M6. The nice thing with the A6 is that there are three different driving modes. Two of them are in Sport . If you are going to use the car as a daily driver and suffer through rush hour traffic, you will soon hate a six speed. Also, for those of us that have a physical handicap, the A6 is the only way to go.
What are the driving mode options in MN6?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:06 PM
6literbeater
Instructor

What are the driving mode options in MN6?
The different modes are in fact MOODS; yours!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:17 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 6literbeater
The different modes are in fact MOODS; yours!
Good one !
Old 01-14-2007, 04:38 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Manual transmissions are so 1920s. Technology has moved on. Besides, what gives you the idea a 3200 pound car with a 39 foot turning radius is a sports car? Sports cars are small, light, and nimble (see Miata), not cars with the turning radius of a crew cab pickup truck. Great Grand Touring car, even a pretty good muscle car, but sports car? No.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:09 AM
larrysb
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my PA28-180.

I'm shopping for something faster
Old 01-14-2007, 06:34 AM
larrysb
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a new Z06, you are going to pay over sticker unless you have some serious connections. Simple suppy and demand.
I have a religious conviction about never, ever, paying MSRP for a car.

I sure as hell ain't paying over sticker.

They've come down, they'll let me sit in one, poke around under the hood. They've sold them for MSRP right on this forum. When they start going for under sticker, I'll think about it.

The other thing is having owned my 02 Vert for several years, I've realized that the car may be capable of 150mph, but the road ain't.

Even my humble little Cherokee 180 can turn in 150mph for as long as I please or until I have to pee or get fuel. It can get to Vegas in less than 3 hours. Can't do that in a Z06, or even a Fe-wah-wee.

Got the itch for a known-ice twin in the 200+mph range.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:05 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
Manual transmissions are so 1920s. Technology has moved on. Besides, what gives you the idea a 3200 pound car with a 39 foot turning radius is a sports car? Sports cars are small, light, and nimble (see Miata), not cars with the turning radius of a crew cab pickup truck. Great Grand Touring car, even a pretty good muscle car, but sports car? No.
Technology has moved on? Manuals still offer less losses (and therefore more RWHP) than torque converters. And "SMG" type transmissions still have many problems as far as smooth operation is concerned. Many, many articles on cars with this type of transmission are critical of the smoothness of operation. Besides, some people still LIKE shifting a true manual.

As far as it not being a sports car, I understand what you are saying, but I think trying to place a vehicle in a designated class (or excluding it) is a personal opinion. There is no line you can draw that says one vehicle is on one side of the line, and another vehicle is on the other side. Everyones definition is different, and there is no right or wrong answer to whether the Corvette is or is not a sports car.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:07 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by shopdog
I bought the Vette for touring. I have a Miata for thrashing around in as well as the Harley.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Divmat
Intermediate

My local sold at MSRP. My brother bought one in Dallas $1K under MSRP. Guess Texas is a big state with lots of inventory..???
Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Divmat
My local sold at MSRP. My brother bought one in Dallas $1K under MSRP. Guess Texas is a big state with lots of inventory..???
Most of the mega dealers in the D-FW area are buried in Corvettes right now. Sales are way down.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by larrysb
Here's my PA28-180.

I'm shopping for something faster
Larry, if I am not mistaken, I could swear you're the same person over on the AOPA Forum in the Cloudbusters that chronicled your instrument checkride? Yes?

Get notified of new replies

To Sat in a new Z06 this evening, how times have changed

Old 01-15-2007, 01:11 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I agree IMO the car is worth $65k tops. What people will pay for it is their business. People , IMO, pay twice what beemers are worth just for the name.

There have been cases of new owners of Z06s who apparently thought they had purchased flying machines and who wrecked their cars within sight of the stealership on pick up day. It will fly but it's not designed very well for that purpose IMO.

It is a great car IMO but reading various posts on this and other forums about how owners are replacing the brakes rotors, calipers and all? What's that about? And the clutch problems and talk of what aftermarket clutch to replace the stock unit with? What's that about? And not for racing either just driveability.

At $80K nothing should need replacing and everything should be top notch.

just my opinions from what I read

$65k tops is what I'd pay and since others will pay more I don't have one. What others will pay does not mean the car is worth that much only that the marketing has successfully convinced them that it is.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I agree IMO the car is worth $65k tops. What people will pay for it is their business. People , IMO, pay twice what beemers are worth just for the name.

There have been cases of new owners of Z06s who apparently thought they had purchased flying machines and who wrecked their cars within sight of the stealership on pick up day. It will fly but it's not designed very well for that purpose IMO.

It is a great car IMO but reading various posts on this and other forums about how owners are replacing the brakes rotors, calipers and all? What's that about? And the clutch problems and talk of what aftermarket clutch to replace the stock unit with? What's that about? And not for racing either just driveability.

At $80K nothing should need replacing and everything should be top notch.

just my opinions from what I read

$65k tops is what I'd pay and since others will pay more I don't have one. What others will pay does not mean the car is worth that much only that the marketing has successfully convinced them that it is.
I have had my Z06 for 7 months now and almost 11k miles. It is not a daily driver for me, sits in the garage covered most of the time. But every time I get in it, it is so fun to drive that I end up putting more miles on the thing.

Let me just say, my experience has been great. I know there are a lot of people out there that complain about clutch replacements etc, but I thiink you will find that those are the people that are drag racing the Z. If you don't plan to drag race then the clutch is fine.

As far as the brakes, that is also, from what I have seen, posted by people who track their car. Once again, on the street you will be fine.

It is hard to tell from the forum, even though it is a good place to get info exactly how wide spread the problems that are reported here are. I will admit sometimes I get worried when I see some of the polls, but so far I have had a good experience with mine. I rationalize the fact that I have had a good experience that most of us will not post something good, hence you only hear about the problems.

Those of us that have no issues, if I can speak for myself, don't post anything most of the time. But I have read all you have and I can see your concerns.

But trust me, unless you take it to the track I don't think you have anything to worry about. And as for those that buy the base, I drove one recently and I have to tell you the Z is a world above them in performance,, you simply do not know what you are missing.

I don't think I could ever step down to a base model unless it had some bolt ons and had at least 500ponies under the hood.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:24 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Corvette1221
I have had my Z06 for 7 months now and almost 11k miles. It is not a daily driver for me, sits in the garage covered most of the time. But every time I get in it, it is so fun to drive that I end up putting more miles on the thing.

Let me just say, my experience has been great. I know there are a lot of people out there that complain about clutch replacements etc, but I thiink you will find that those are the people that are drag racing the Z. If you don't plan to drag race then the clutch is fine.

As far as the brakes, that is also, from what I have seen, posted by people who track their car. Once again, on the street you will be fine.

It is hard to tell from the forum, even though it is a good place to get info exactly how wide spread the problems that are reported here are. I will admit sometimes I get worried when I see some of the polls, but so far I have had a good experience with mine. I rationalize the fact that I have had a good experience that most of us will not post something good, hence you only hear about the problems.

Those of us that have no issues, if I can speak for myself, don't post anything most of the time. But I have read all you have and I can see your concerns.

But trust me, unless you take it to the track I don't think you have anything to worry about. And as for those that buy the base, I drove one recently and I have to tell you the Z is a world above them in performance,, you simply do not know what you are missing.

I don't think I could ever step down to a base model unless it had some bolt ons and had at least 500ponies under the hood.

Most of the b*tch and moan seems to come from those that track the car. If you're going to race it, then expect for things to fail in short order.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Sat in a new Z06 this evening, how times have changed