Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Video: Fifth Gear Best Fast Car Award 2006

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:14 AM
mvarga
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Cool............thanks for linking the vid here.

Did I hear him say "............gets to 60 in 5.9 seconds"?
Maybe he meant "metric" time, LOL!!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:18 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He was just too excited or confused because an American car was this good in the performance arena......!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:00 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Tiff is the man.

Clarkson is another story.

Here's his new DVD here...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...eremy+clarkson

Download it....don't buy it. And the first car he tests is our beloved Zed06.

While I do agree with him in that the car's not perfect for the road I don't agree with his reasons.

As far as the fifth gear I wish they got into the negatives of the Porsche. Curious, other than a boring car to drive, what was wrong with it. And while it's awesome that the Z is so great for the money I really don't think money should come into factor when comparing cars like this.
Wow! Thanks for the link. But I gotta tell ya, it was tough to watch all 1 hour and 19 minutes of that Euro Propaganda. And let's not forget the quality of cars the Brits make Yeah, those Jags/Rovers/MG's are such great quality So much so that Jag has to use Ford motors. And the comparison were so fair.... Let’s see,

A Pimped out Escalade with 22' inch rims and low profile tires vs. a Range Rover off road. OK. Right. My money is on a Jeep Cherokee for 1/2 the price against the Rover. And it won't need to be in the shop every other month. Give me a break.

And then we compare the sound of a $250,000 Ferrari to $3,000 (at the time) Muscle cars? Or a $40,000 Mustang?

And let's not forget the race between a full size Dodge Truck 4x4, and of all things an Ariel Atom? What the 'F' is the point? What is even the purpose of testing a full size 4x4 truck on a track? If I'm buying a truck, that's the least of my worries. Reliability, tow rating, and off-road capability/ground clearance would be at the top of the list. Not how fast it corners

And then the Harley? How old was that thing, 30 years? Did AMF make that model? What a joke

Oh yeah... And the race between a $90,000 M5 vs. a Chrysler 300 STR8 that can be had for $40 g's or so? Um, OK. That makes PERFECT sense

And talk about a car that is totally undriveable on the street - A freak'in Lotus Exige. And they race this basically 'track only' car against a 4-seat Mustang? And are happy to win by a few car length or so? I've driven an Elise. It is rubbish except for track use. Total rubbish. And is proving to be unreliable to boot. Not to mention very unsafe in a highway collision. Add to that WAY overpriced for a bare, and I mean bare bones car with an economy mass produced motor.

And how could I forget. The Viper vs. The BMW Z4 M. Let me tell you point blank. I have driven both cars extensively, and on a track the Viper would be sooooooooooooooooooo far ahead - ON ANY TRACK, it would not even be a race. Not even close. And he keeps referring to the great brakes on the M + handling. Pleeeeaaaazzzzeeee.... The Viper SRT has the best brakes in the business, and turns with the best of 'um at over 1 G's. I mean to even suggest that a BMW Z4 M could hang with a Viper (or Z06) on a track is down right laughable. Not even in the same class

And let's not forget the whole inbreed/hill-billy/sister loving/over weight cracks. Sure, I know some is tongue and cheek. But he says it sooooo much that you think he really feels this way. And then (of course) he finds a couple dumb smucks on the street that can't name a country in Europe to reinforce his points. I mean come on.... Let's face facts. Our country runs circles around the Brits in most ways. Technology, Medicine, Industry, etc... etc... etc.... Maybe he/they just have a hard time facing the facts, and are just 'hating'. That's the only conclusion I can come to....

And yes, I know Jeremy is known for 'tongue & cheek' material. But 'tongue & cheek' and downright lies are two different things.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 12-20-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:18 AM
KeithKman
Pro

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
Wow! Thanks for the link. But I gotta tell ya, it was tough to watch all 1 hour and 19 minutes of that Euro Propaganda. And let's not forget the quality of cars the Brits make Yeah, those Jags/Rovers/MG's are such great quality So much so that Jag has to use Ford motors. And the comparison were so fair.... Let’s see,

A Pimped out Escalade with 22' inch rims and low profile tires vs. a Range Rover off road. OK. Right. My money is on a Jeep Cherokee for 1/2 the price against the Rover. And it won't need to be in the shop every other month. Give me a break.

And then we compare the sound of a $250,000 Ferrari to $3,000 (at the time) Muscle cars? Or a $40,000 Mustang?

And let's not forget the race between a full size Dodge Truck 4x4, and of all things an Ariel Atom? What the 'F' is the point? What is even the purpose of testing a full size 4x4 truck on a track? If I'm buying a truck, that's the least of my worries. Reliability, tow rating, and off-road capability/ground clearance would be at the top of the list. Not how fast it corners

And then the Harley? How old was that thing, 30 years? Did AMF make that model? What a joke

Oh yeah... And the race between a $90,000 M5 vs. a Chrysler 300 STR8 that can be had for $40 g's or so? Um, OK. That makes PERFECT sense

And talk about a car that is totally undriveable on the street - A freak'in Lotus Exige. And they race this basically 'track only' car against a 4-seat Mustang? And are happy to win by a few car length or so? I've driven an Elise. It is rubbish except for track use. Total rubbish. And is proving to be unreliable to boot. Not to mention very unsafe in a highway collision. Add to that WAY overpriced for a bare, and I mean bare bones car with an economy mass produced motor.

And how could I forget. The Viper vs. The BMW Z4 M. Let me tell you point blank. I have driven both cars extensively, and on a track the Viper would be sooooooooooooooooooo far ahead - ON ANY TRACK, it would not even be a race. Not even close. And he keeps referring to the great brakes on the M + handling. Pleeeeaaaazzzzeeee.... The Viper SRT has the best brakes in the business, and turns with the best of 'um at over 1 G's. I mean to even suggest that a BMW Z4 M could hang with a Viper (or Z06) on a track is down right laughable. Not even in the same class

And let's not forget the whole inbreed/hill-billy/sister loving/over weight cracks. Sure, I know some is tongue and cheek. But he says it sooooo much that you think he really feels this way. And then (of course) he finds a couple dumb smucks on the street that can't name a country in Europe to reinforce his points. I mean come on.... Let's face facts. Our country runs circles around the Brits in most ways. Technology, Medicine, Industry, etc... etc... etc.... Maybe he/they just have a hard time facing the facts, and are just 'hating'. That's the only conclusion I can come to....

And yes, I know Jeremy is known for 'tongue & cheek' material. But 'tongue & cheek' and downright lies are two different things.
I agree. I just laughed throughout it.

After all the problems Clarkson had with his GT, and selling it back, he still praises it and bought it back from Ford. Weird guy.

And to say the C6 Z06 was horrible on the street yet the ending scene is him driving down the road in a Ford GTX-1 like it rides like a caddy cracked me up.

What an idiot.

Tiff > Jeremy
Old 12-20-2006, 02:21 AM
KeithKman
Pro

I loved his quick comment on how the C6 "Zed-oh-six" got bad gas mileage yet said nothing about the 4 mpg the Ford GT got when he drove it.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:35 AM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by KeithKman
I loved his quick comment on how the C6 "Zed-oh-six" got bad gas mileage yet said nothing about the 4 mpg the Ford GT got when he drove it.

Yeah, and especialy as the Z06 has a rather good gas milage.....compare it to the M5 (E60).....well there is bad gas milage for ya!!

Bottom line is that Clarkson thought that the Z06 was good on the track but bad on the road....he had exactly the same thoughts about the Porsche 996 GT3 RS.....so I'd say that the Z06 is in good company!!

I was just laughing when I saw the Clarkson video.....it shows most of the myths and toughts that Europeans have about Americans.....don't mind it they are just narrow minded (is that how you spell it)....
Old 12-20-2006, 02:58 AM
Whiplash-C6Z06
Instructor

Having watched the Fifth Gear episode, I thought it was funny how the announcers didn't seem to be willing to come to any sort of an agreement on air on which of the three cars was the best... and then Tiff's voice over naming the Z06 the winner (when it was the car he was pushing for) almost seemed like while the other two still argued, he went off stage and unilaterally announced the winner! I know it didn't happen that way, but it would've been nice to see a conclusionary agreement on camera before the winner was announced. Funny stuff.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:01 AM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Europeans voting for an american car The world is turning upside down
Old 12-20-2006, 04:02 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KeithKman

I was thinking the same thing..... I mean, 500+ HP and 26MPG or so on the highway from the Z06? No other car can claim that I am aware of. It's probably above average in the city (16MPG) as well for the power it puts out. I didn't mind Jeremy Clarkson in the past, but after this video my opinion has changed.... No credibility from this point forward.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:04 AM
charltom
Racer

Cool............thanks for linking the vid here.

Did I hear him say "............gets to 60 in 5.9 seconds"?
Yep.

VERY poor editing... because during filming (and in the pub over lunch) I heard him say 3.9 seconds at least 8 times! I tried to offer MotorTrend's 3.4 secs stat but they didn't bite because of run-out and "glue on the strip"!

Hey ho. He knew what he meant. And if other sports car owners who've heard that mistake think they're going to beat my Z... that's more fun for me!

Last edited by charltom; 12-20-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:08 AM
charltom
Racer

Originally Posted by Live2Redline
As you know, the Brits hate everything on four wheels thats American, there always cutting it down no matter what it is.
That is such as to be pathetic.

Love from the British owner of the LMB Z06 in the Fifth Gear studio.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:13 AM
charltom
Racer

It is EXACTLY this sort of take-yourself-too-seriously thing that he likes to take the mickey out of! It's called baiting. That's hilarious.

One more word... Borat.

Last edited by charltom; 12-20-2006 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by charltom

It is EXACTLY this sort of take-yourself-too-seriously thing that he likes to take the mickey out of! It's called baiting. That's hilarious.

One more word... Borat.

Pleeeaaassseee... No baiting.... I've watched his skits for years, and enjoyed many. Most are a nice balance between factual information and 'tongue and cheek' material. I know what he is about. But in this video I kept waiting for the 'factual information' about the cars, or at least comparisons that make some sort of sense.... In this entire video I really saw none (or very little) of that..... If I want a pure comedy I'd much rather see Borat than Clarkson.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 12-20-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Pleeeaaassseee... No baiting.... I've watched his skits for years, and enjoyed many. Most are a nice balance between factual information and 'tongue and cheek' material. I know what he is about. But in this video I kept waiting for the 'factual information' about the cars, or at least comparisons that make some sort of sense.... In this entire video I really saw none (or very little) of that..... If I want a pure comedy I'd much rather see Borat than Clarkson.
Usually I like the guy but this was a little much.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:36 AM
EVOMIND
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with most of what u said, but ive owned a lotus elise for 2 years. in general, reliability has been quite good, and the cars occupants have walked away from some pretty devastating wrecks.
its ok, most people guess theyre dead being in such a tiny car, but the engineers at lotus made a pretty durable crash structure.
as far as it being a good daily driver, i have to say no. but its not only for it being small and "bare bones." it doesnt suffer being bumped when its parallel parked very well and stuff like that. but overall, yeah, it makes a better "good weather" and track day car.
i put 16k miles on mine in 2 years of ownership. sold it for my z, but enjoyed the car very much.
drove it from chicago to vegas and back. best road trip of my life.
thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 10:42 AM
charltom
Racer

He is indeed usually tongue IN cheek.

But seriously, the videos really are produced purely for entertainment. Nobody here would see them as reviews or similar. They are for fun and part of that is poking fun... and part of that is finding easy targets... and an easy target is often one that is unlikely ever to see your work and complain.

Take it as a compliment that TG thought there a rich enough tapestry of US cars to make an interesting video though.

As for Elise vs. Mustang, when that was done on the programme itself, the point was almost entirely to show how surprisingly good it was.

Here's an interesting thought though:

Why the heck is everyone here whingeing about Clarkson, who had nothing whatsoever to do with the news, which are:

CORVETTE Z06 WINS "BEST FAST CAR" ON FIFTH GEAR (not Top Gear!) AHEAD OF F599GTB, 997TT, LP640 etc."
Old 12-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by charltom
He is indeed usually tongue IN cheek.

But seriously, the videos really are produced purely for entertainment. Nobody here would see them as reviews or similar. They are for fun and part of that is poking fun... and part of that is finding easy targets... and an easy target is often one that is unlikely ever to see your work and complain.

Take it as a compliment that TG thought there a rich enough tapestry of US cars to make an interesting video though.

As for Elise vs. Mustang, when that was done on the programme itself, the point was almost entirely to show how surprisingly good it was.

Here's an interesting thought though:

Why the heck is everyone here whingeing about Clarkson, who had nothing whatsoever to do with the news, which are:

CORVETTE Z06 WINS "BEST FAST CAR" ON FIFTH GEAR (not Top Gear!) AHEAD OF F599GTB, 997TT, LP640 etc."
Indeed Charltom........ And your car looked great sitting there, but I am totally biased, of course.

And Onerareviper, I don't consider the Elise/Exige as totally undrivable on the street. I use mine on the street all the time, in addition to autocrossing it. It's a blast on the street, but certainly not as friendly daily driver material as my Z06, but it's just fine on the street.

Get notified of new replies

To Video: Fifth Gear Best Fast Car Award 2006

Old 12-20-2006, 11:32 AM
5decades
Racer

Take this one to the bank my friends! Let's face it, these guys get to drive everything "flat out", so I will take their opinion over any magazine.
Thanks for sharing this with us!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Indeed Charltom........ And your car looked great sitting there, but I am totally biased, of course.

And Onerareviper, I don't consider the Elise/Exige as totally undrivable on the street. I use mine on the street all the time, in addition to autocrossing it. It's a blast on the street, but certainly not as friendly daily driver material as my Z06, but it's just fine on the street.
Yeah, maybe I was a bit hard on the Elise/Exige. But I was merely trying to make the point that the Z06 is like a Cadillac in comparison, especially the Exige. So if the Z06 is 'rubbish' on the street (according to Clarkson), well, the Exige is 10 times worse. Even my Gen II Viper felt like a Caddy after wedging myself from the Elise. Since you owned an Elise, you know how hard those things are to get in/out of with the top on. You have to be a borderline contortionist. And I imagine the Exige is even harder... And yes, it's crash structure is fine on track. But on the street you are in trouble. Can't overcome physics, and a sub 2,000 pound car is in serious trouble if it goes up against the usual suspects on American roads. I could be wrong, but when I was looking into buying an Elise I did some research. And if memory serves, it DID NOT pass any US crash regulations. It was granted a 3 year exemption based on some loophole, hence its sale here. I was told by a Lotus dealer last year after this 3 year run, Lotus would have to redesign the car. And Lotus does have a product (can't remember name) that is built off the Elise structure, but is larger. Not sure if that's bound for US shores.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Yeah, maybe I was a bit hard on the Elise/Exige. But I was merely trying to make the point that the Z06 is like a Cadillac in comparison, especially the Exige. So if the Z06 is 'rubbish' on the street (according to Clarkson), well, the Exige is 10 times worse. Even my Gen II Viper felt like a Caddy after wedging myself from the Elise. Since you owned an Elise, you know how hard those things are to get in/out of with the top on. You have to be a borderline contortionist. And I imagine the Exige is even harder... And yes, it's crash structure is fine on track. But on the street you are in trouble. Can't overcome physics, and a sub 2,000 pound car is in serious trouble if it goes up against the usual suspects on American roads. I could be wrong, but when I was looking into buying an Elise I did some research. And if memory serves, it DID NOT pass any US crash regulations. It was granted a 3 year exemption based on some loophole, hence its sale here. I was told by a Lotus dealer last year after this 3 year run, Lotus would have to redesign the car. And Lotus does have a product (can't remember name) that is built off the Elise structure, but is larger. Not sure if that's bound for US shores.
I'm a skinny ba$tard, so I have no issue, even at 6'2". Yes, you are right that the Z06 is like a Cadillac compared to the harshness of the Elise/Exige, so I don't understand Clarkson's comment either. On that we are in complete agreement.

With regard to the Federal exemption, the car does meet all US crash stds., has driver and passenger airbags, side-protection, etc. The front end of the chassis is a very sophisticated crush zone, and everyone I'm aware of has walked away from some pretty nasty accidents on the street with much larger vehicles. The only US DOT exemption is for the 2.5mph bumpers. A little bump is thus, very costly. It is correct that Lotus will not likely get an extension of that 2 year exemption so everyone is waiting to see what they will do.

Those of us with 2005/06 Elise/Exiges could have collector's items, but somehow I doubt it. They'll likely come up with a way, but it may not be as clean-looking.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-20-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Video: Fifth Gear Best Fast Car Award 2006