Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Friend is PO'd: previous owner took the car above 200MPH 3x

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 128 Likes on 51 Posts

If potential black box data concerns you, What about OnStar (for those with it) data. What information can and are they picking up about our cars.

Starting not to like computers much, at least when it comes to cars.
May have to buy me a C3. No computer brain thinking for me (no Antilock, AH/TC) and no big brother watching.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

OnStar is scary... I was at VIR last year and a few guys had CTS-Vs out... one spun and went off. Well OnStar called him to inform him that their tracking softwar showed that his vehicle had been in a high speed spin and they wanted to check if he was ok.

FWIW I think it's true, but I'm not sure... the owner could have been joking.

That's all we need... "Mr Bowers..... hello this is Onstar. We noticed you've been running the same path in a circle for 3.2 miles for the past 23 minutes... we notice you're really loosing time in turns 3,7, and 16. Work on those to scrub some speed... have a nice day sir and happy motoring."

Old 11-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Cosmic Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM is probably (emphasis on the word probably) smart enough to know that if the word got out that they were ratting out drivers with the system, their sales would drop like a rock.

Even the average driver would abandon GM if this hit the press. No, I think GM will only try to be helpful with the OnStar system.

I give GM credit for developing this system. It give you some piece of mind to know that they can help you when you need help, for example if you were injured and could not physically dial your cell.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:49 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cosmic Vette
GM is probably (emphasis on the word probably) smart enough to know that if the word got out that they were ratting out drivers with the system, their sales would drop like a rock.

Even the average driver would abandon GM if this hit the press. No, I think GM will only try to be helpful with the OnStar system.

I give GM credit for developing this system. It give you some piece of mind to know that they can help you when you need help, for example if you were injured and could not physically dial your cell.
I think I agree with most.

My wife uses her On star all the time. She loves it.The service is absolutely fantastic.

The black box thing. I would be more worried about the lawyers, courts and Insurance companies than the manufacturer. Lets face it, you can't hide anymore.

If the manufacture wants to know where, when and what, IMO they will find out. If that is abused, then yes it could hurt their sales.However I really don't think they will abuse it. At least I hope not.

Dan
Old 11-09-2006, 03:54 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
OnStar is scary... I was at VIR last year and a few guys had CTS-Vs out... one spun and went off. Well OnStar called him to inform him that their tracking softwar showed that his vehicle had been in a high speed spin and they wanted to check if he was ok.

FWIW I think it's true, but I'm not sure... the owner could have been joking.
His spin could have tripped the "Advanced Automatic Crash Notification" feature (short of an airbag deployment) so I think the story is true. BTW I think the rest of this thread contains vast quantities of misinformation about what kind of data is stored in the vehicle's electronics. The EDR has about 5 seconds of data recorded when the airbags deploy. The DTC system records "frame data" when certain DTC's are set. Recording 3 occurrences of 200+ mph seems a stretch but, as always, I'm here to learn new things from authoritative sources (so far, nada on this thread) . . .
Old 11-09-2006, 03:58 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by outnumbered
I think I agree with most.

My wife uses her On star all the time. She loves it.The service is absolutely fantastic.

The black box thing. I would be more worried about the lawyers, courts and Insurance companies than the manufacturer. Lets face it, you can't hide anymore.

If the manufacture wants to know where, when and what, IMO they will find out. If that is abused, then yes it could hurt their sales.However I really don't think they will abuse it. At least I hope not.

Dan
And besides, if you screw up, shouldn't you just own up to it anyway? That's why we have so many lengthy litigations in this country. Everybody wants to blame someone else for their mistakes.

Now a real problem to me is photo radar! But that's another topic.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:04 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robvuk
And besides, if you screw up, shouldn't you just own up to it anyway? That's why we have so many lengthy litigations in this country. Everybody wants to blame someone else for their mistakes.

Now a real problem to me is photo radar! But that's another topic.
Wow! We both agree! Joking in a good way.

That's is a big problem. Accountability. Any of you have kids. Employees?
It is awful.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
His spin could have tripped the "Advanced Automatic Crash Notification" feature (short of an airbag deployment) so I think the story is true. BTW I think the rest of this thread contains vast quantities of misinformation about what kind of data is stored in the vehicle's electronics. The EDR has about 5 seconds of data recorded when the airbags deploy. The DTC system records "frame data" when certain DTC's are set. Recording 3 occurrences of 200+ mph seems a stretch but, as always, I'm here to learn new things from authoritative sources (so far, nada on this thread) . . .
This sounds reasonable to me. I can't believe that they would store data over the last few days, weeks or months of driving. The last 5 seconds prior to an air bag deployment seems realistic.

There seems to be a lot of paranoia and BS flying on this subject - as usual.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Cosmic Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

GM has made their statement about the way they use the data, and the EDR's capablility are documented.

The real problem is trust. No one trusts anyone in government, corporate leadership, or the media anymore, so we question everything.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:39 PM
corvettecrazy2
Pro

i would feel kind of violated to know some one raped the car b4 me
Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 PM
MEANZ06
Race Director

Originally Posted by outnumbered

That's is a big problem. Accountability. Any of you have kids. Employees?
It is awful.
i have both
Old 11-09-2006, 06:01 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Vette
No one trusts anyone in government, corporate leadership, or the media anymore, so we question everything.
Man, if ya can't trust GM . . .
Old 11-10-2006, 05:03 PM
WetVetman
Advanced

How much is the car

Quick Reply: [Z06] Friend is PO'd: previous owner took the car above 200MPH 3x