Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Friend is PO'd: previous owner took the car above 200MPH 3x

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW
as regards to the clutch fluid being wrong, they stated that the fluid was contaminated and was a different color than what it needed to be. they said that since the contamination was unlikely to happen at the factory, either iit was changed by the previous owner or the 200mph had something to do with it.
All our clutch fluid gets dark and gunky looking real quick. It's the nature of the mal-engineered beast. It helps to replace the fluid often.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW

they also presented him with a print out of the black box data. the car had 3 trips to 200+ mph.
Never mind
Old 11-08-2006, 10:37 PM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you should be worried about are the "sh%$" sensors in the drivers seat.

Did the black box show if the oxygen mask was deployed

Old 11-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Lankhoss
Racer

I thought the black box could only store the last 30 seconds of data for wreck investigations.

I'm pretty damn sure it doesn't keep track of EVERYTHING the car has done. I'm gonna call on the blackbox data the dealer says they have.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Red C5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's true that things like top speed are recorded/stored and dealers can retrive the data, I'm more curious if the dealers can delete the information.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:52 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vizkiz
The black box is part of the airbag system and records various details from the 5-15 seconds before and after a crash. There might be something else in the car that recorded the data, but it is not the traditional "black box" that has been used in court for accidents to prove who was speeding, if they were braking, how hard they were accelerating, braking, etc.
You have just accurately restated what we have been told for years about how the black boxes work. Is it possible that we have been lied to? The dealers seems to be telling it like he sees it....the black box is a device that is recording and permanently saving certain key pieces of threshhold data.

Such data could result in voided warranties, traffic fines, felony arrests, cancelled insurance etc. By the way, it the black permanently in contact and uploading car usage parameters through Onstar to GM?

I am not a conspiracy theory devotee. However, these seems to be one ( a conspiracy ) hidden here somewhere. Perhaps the Federal govt mandate is for the recording of data just prior to air bag deployment and perhaps it wasleft up to manufacturers if they wanted to build in ADDITIONAL recording capability?

Great part of it is that I think if an owner even tries to retrieve data from the thing it's a federal crime of tampering with a safety system?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Cosmic Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is some corporate declarations about Event Data Recorders in GM applications. You can derive your own conclusions. Forgive me if this has been posted before.

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...ers/index.html
Old 11-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Zivnuska
Le Mans Master

My Window Valet records max rpm and max speed. It has the capability to reset, clearing those numbers . I don't know if that has any interface with the data recorder.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:35 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 373 Likes on 221 Posts

It's all Bush's fault.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PcarRacr
Who care's. If it runs good and looks good that's all that matters. Also that's the risk you take when buying a used vehicle. The C6Z is what it is. I think anyone who doesn't drive the **** out of their Z should be slapped. If you don't experience what the car has to offer you are missing the whole reason all those engineers dedicated so much time making the vehicle the fortunate few of us get to own. If you want a crusier get a regular C6.

Chad

It's meant to be driven. If you are just going to park it in the garage and look at it anyway, what does it matter if the engine is even blown--- as in destroyed.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SLWRNU
It's all Bush's fault.
I know some would think that
Old 11-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Vette
Here is some corporate declarations about Event Data Recorders in GM applications. You can derive your own conclusions. Forgive me if this has been posted before.

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...ers/index.html
Thanks for posting the link - interesting. I can't help but wonder how much data is stored and for how long.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Cosmic Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Thanks for posting the link - interesting. I can't help but wonder how much data is stored and for how long.
I'm trying to figure just how closely we are being tracked.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Can the EDR record where a vehicle was or how fast it was going at any given time?

GM EDRs do not continuously record vehicle speed data that is capable of being accessed. Only in the event of a crash will such data be recorded. The EDR typically does not record location or other outside conditions.

^Copied and pasted from their EDR page.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:46 PM
rfgoss1
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PcarRacr
Quote: Frankie2blue

This is exactly why I wouldn't take a used Z for a gift unless I knew the car from delivery. I don't drive the **** out of any of my cars, but I would love to see somebody try to slap me for it.

Maybe I shouldn't have said slap...that's what women do. It's a figure of speech and again my position stands that they make regular versions of these cars for people more interested in waxing than performance driving. This certainly isn't a rare car that's going to appreciate in value. The regular C6 is a great car and quite frankly probably has more power than most people can handle.

Again it's just my opinion but I also feel every C6Z owner should hit the track with it(do a drivers clinic or DE event...learn about what makes this car so special)...again GM desingers/Engineers spent countless hours making this exotic killer and Chevy was generous enough to let us end users have a streetable track car....dammit go out and make these folks proud!!!! ;-)

Seriously though what I really care is that no matter who you are if you love what you drive and are passionate about it then you are alright with me. Not everyone is comfortable racing cars and I for one can respect that.

Take Care,
Chad
Excuse me, You wouldn't take one as a gift? Slight exageration there don't you think?
Randy
Old 11-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

However, if the computer stores a DTC code (set during the dyno runs perhaps) that will show speed as we know. This is NOT the EDR (or black box) that previous posts were referring to.

My conclusion is that the dealer stated the truth.
Your conclusion is wrong. No such DTC exists.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:56 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

just got off the phone with my friend. the dealer is Moritz Chevy in fort worth. he told me that he has another car being serviced there and when he goes to pick it up in about 2 days, he will ask them for a copy of the printout.

he did say that the service department was abuzz with talk of the 200mph car. mechanics and service writers alike were talking about it

Get notified of new replies

To Friend is PO'd: previous owner took the car above 200MPH 3x

Old 11-09-2006, 02:09 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

If a simple thing like a speedohealer for a motorcycle can hold a top speed, and it can and does...........then I'm sure this would be an easy thing for the black box..This works for digitial or analog...........

Old 11-09-2006, 02:38 PM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

This is all you need to know. The information can and will be used against you.

Originally Posted by GM
Under what circumstances will GM access EDR data?

GM will not access EDR information or share it with others except:

With the consent of the vehicle owner or, if the vehicle is leased, with the consent of the lessee.
In connection with litigation, through the discovery process;
In response to an official request of police or a similar government office or;
As required by law.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Cosmic Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

GM EDRs do not continuously record vehicle speed data that is capable of being accessed. Only in the event of a crash will such data be recorded.
These types of statements are made by GM and corroborated by statements made by other auto manufacturers.

During conferences on EDR systems, speakers and authorities echo these comments.

I am just paranoid enough to believe that they are not telling us the truth.

In connection with litigation, through the discovery process;
In response to an official request of police or a similar government office or;
As required by law.
This takes away our privacy, and basically says that they can share the data with any bureaucrat who calls up and says they need to know.

Last edited by Cosmic Vette; 11-09-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Friend is PO'd: previous owner took the car above 200MPH 3x