Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Odyssey: Life with the Z06 and 997TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:15 PM
COAndy
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A and a for you and your Z06.
And a for Sadie.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Scooter911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

When is the next installment??? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:01 PM
COAndy
Le Mans Master

Old 04-19-2007, 06:31 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

"Please sir may I have another?"
Old 04-20-2007, 01:05 AM
01yellowc5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

T T T
Old 04-23-2007, 04:34 PM
COAndy
Le Mans Master

Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 AM
01yellowc5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

TTT
Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 PM
COAndy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EdsC5
Maybe one of his Mastiffs ate his computer...
Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 PM
COAndy
Le Mans Master

Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COAndy
This is possible! Sadie, our 5 month old Mastiff puppy (87 lbs already) chewed all the way through my CAT 5 cable-modem cable disabling my Internet connection. Since then Bitter Apple has stopped all cable chewing.

Joel, if it will help I'll send over some Bitter Apple for your PC!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Sorry gentlemen, I have been quiet over here for awhile. Still catching up at work since early March after being out ill for nearly three weeks.

I'll be back with some installments soon, thanks for your patience.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Exterminator
This is possible! Sadie, our 5 month old Mastiff puppy (87 lbs already) chewed all the way through my CAT 5 cable-modem cable disabling my Internet connection. Since then Bitter Apple has stopped all cable chewing.

Joel, if it will help I'll send over some Bitter Apple for your PC!
Oh, you have it so much easier than you think! While growing up we had a german shepherd that chewed all the way through a solid wood door. She was a chewer indeed.

When I got my own dog, a Rott, as a puppy he also liked to chew but I was smarter and kept him away from things he should not chew on. I went through the whole Sour Apple thing but he loved the stuff! I swear he chewed on things even more with that stuff on there. May as well have been peanut butter.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:51 PM
COAndy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
Sorry gentlemen, I have been quiet over here for awhile. Still catching up at work since early March after being out ill for nearly three weeks.

I'll be back with some installments soon, thanks for your patience.

Out patience is a tribute to your great story.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

TTT. Please bring on the next installment. This is starting to feel like waiting on the next season of the Sopranos!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

TTT. Please bring on the next installment. This is starting to feel like waiting on the next season of the Sopranos!
I sure hope not, there isn't a next season for the Sopranos - but I do understand what you mean relating to the suspense and anticipation.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Flash 3
Advanced

Mastiff is gearing up for May sweeps .... Can't wait for the next installment
Old 05-14-2007, 10:54 PM
COAndy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Flash 3
Mastiff is gearing up for May sweeps .... Can't wait for the next installment
Hello??? Anyone??

Get notified of new replies

To Odyssey: Life with the Z06 and 997TT

Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Part 30

The one thing we all can count on is change. You just never know what can happen. The first three months of this year have been challenging. As you know, just after I recovered from pneumonia we lost our dog. This was a very sad time for us and my ability to write installments and do a host of other life's activities was temporarily on hold. While we never stop thinking about her, time is a great healer. But no complaints here or excuses, I just feel bad for not coming back a little bit sooner.

My focus has been to catch up on other areas of life, so activity on the forums and with the cars has been limited. It seems like an eternity since my last installment. When I was contributing almost on a bimonthly or sometimes a weekly basis, this seems like a long stretch. Its been about two months since the last installment.

The first quarter of the year is behind us and that is quite fine with me, this quarter is already better. While I was home recovering and quite bored, I managed to resurrect my model railroading hobby and draw up plans for the construction of a new HO layout. Not to get too far off topic, I should add that in the last month, the weather and my health improved. It was time to get out there and ride some bikes. We have some great roads for bikes and cars around the Southern California coast and I was overdue for some two wheeling. I enjoy riding the Harley Davidson bikes as much as Adventure type bikes like our KTM 640. I do not know what it is about mechanical things with wheels, but they all seem to get my attention one way or another.

Enough about the off topic stuff. How about the cars? The Z06 is and remains the favorite car in this garage and household. The wife and I both agree on this one. The 997TT has not done quite as well however.

I decided to put the 997TT up for sale. The fun we are having with the Z06 has overshadowed the Porsche in every way. The Turbo just does not deliver the same level of enjoyment that the Corvette offers. Then there is the more important issue. Once I decided that the Corvette was the car, the 997TT did not make sense to keep from a financial standpoint. It was turning out to be a museum piece, sitting in our garage, not being driven. The idea of tying up that much money when the car is not being used is plain silly. As you probably know if you have been reading along, I admit that I fail to deploy financial logic when it comes to car ownership. But then please tell me how many of us do? We all want it, but then do we need the expense when the performance bargain of the year sits right next to it at almost half the price? This time logic prevailed, and up for sale she went. I liked the car, but someone else is going to have to like it more and get out and drive it.

I am getting ready to turn 2000 miles on the Z06 and have had the car for seven months. That’s not much mileage, and the Porsche had less per capita mileage on it (it is three months older than the Z06), so you can only imagine how rarely the Turbo saw the street. I had mentioned in an earlier installment that servicing the Corvette at the Chevrolet dealer concerns me. This continues to be a bubbly subject on the forum and a new thread will surface up every so often with an owner asking for a referral to a “good” dealership for service. It seems that owners of both the Z06 and C6 are inspired to find quality service departments especially after reading about the disasters that have occurred at some of the Chevrolet dealers. A classic example is when at some dealerships the bottom horizontal portion of the rocker panels get crushed or cracked when the car is lifted improperly. That is not fun.

I had discussed performing a search for a dealership in my area that has a decent service department. I came up with another approach. Although Paradise Chevrolet seems to get good reviews here, I decided to contact these folks near my home: A&A Corvette Performance, Inc. Andy, the owner answered his own phone. After reading through their website, it was apparent to me that these guys are not interested in performing an oil and filter change – or so I thought. I explained to Andy that I had a dealer phobia with my Z06 and wondered if he would be willing to do some routine maintenance for me. Surprisingly he agreed, but it was conditional. He told me he would if he was slow that week doing modifications. It is reasonable to understand that the man can’t make a living doing oil changes. But smart business people know that little things can turn into big things. Soon I’ll take my car over to Andy for the first oil service. If nothing else, the good news is that he will know how to lift the car correctly.

During the past couple of weeks my wife and I did take a cruise in the Z06 up to Solvang for breakfast at Paula’s Pancake House. I have mentioned this restaurant in a prior installment. For us, it is a perfect ride that is not too long, but has all of the elements – ocean views, Highway 154, bridges, mountains and good food, all within a three to four hour time span. When you need a quick fix, this half day trip is an easy solution. I was able to find some “safe” parking on one of the side streets off of Highway 246, or the main drag in Solvang – here are a couple of photos:

After I get my initial oil change, summer will be in full swing and so will the Z06. I’ll be back with some ride reports and any other interesting or unusual findings. Thanks for coming back and catching up.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 PM
LA Brit.
Instructor

I hope all is well mate, thanks for the new episode!

I am surprised to see you are selling the TT but it's a good move if you aren't using it often.

That pancake place rocks, i went with my ex-gf one time after we drove up from LA to go wine tasting around the area.

Glad to see you are feeling better,

Josh.

Last edited by LA Brit.; 05-16-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Default Pls. check your Private message

Mastiffdog,

Glad to hear back from you and hope all is getting better. In any case, please check you inbox. I wrote you an FYI regarding corvette shops. My experience was much, much worst than what I wrote. I just want to give you a heads up.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Odyssey: Life with the Z06 and 997TT