Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Took my C6 Z06 and Ford GT to car show today

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 02:32 AM
FFCobra
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Took my C6 Z06 and Ford GT to car show today

This was the first car event the Ford has been to. We had a blast!

I took a bunch of pictures of the Z06 and GT together.
http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/aug2006carshow.htm

Here's 1,500 HP+ with just 3 cars!

- Bill
Old 08-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never been a big Lambo fan but after thinking it over, putting a front plate on one would be easier on the looks due to their side air intakes. And while I'm a big Corvette fan I still think the Vette needs a more exotic look with less rounding.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:40 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

i'm sure no one will agree with me but I honestly think the Z looks the best there. I'm certainly not one of those corvete pwnz all kinda guys. There are a lot of cars that look better than the Z. But of those three the Z is the best...and the fastest.

The gallardo has always been love it hate it with me. The design is just confused. The paint scheme of the SE helps things though.

The Ford GT while looking the most exotic I really don't think looks all that great.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phantasms

The Ford GT while looking the most exotic I really don't think looks all that great.
Time for someone to lend you some glasses, Gene.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:53 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Geneus
lol

as I said most don't agree with me. But have you looked at it up close and driven in one. There's no menacing angle to stare at it from. The lines just don't work in my opinion. Look at the video of my car vs that car. The Z looks better...at least to me. And exotic doesn't mean better.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phantasms
lol

as I said most don't agree with me. But have you looked at it up close and driven in one. There's no menacing angle to stare at it from. The lines just don't work in my opinion. Look at the video of my car vs that car. The Z looks better...at least to me. And exotic doesn't mean better.
Yep...had a chance two weeks ago to get up close and personel. There were 2 of them that showed up on a Friday night for the Somerville Cruise In. In my mind, I've always thought that the GT40 and now Ford GT were/are the most beautiful and at the same time aggressive looking sports cars ever made. For sheer beauty, the Ferrari 430 takes the honors...but it is beautiful, not aggressive. The GT has both elements covered, IMO.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:11 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I hate the 430. It's slowly growing on me but I still don't like it. Looks a little better with the new challenge grill in the back that came out this year. The challange stradale is where it's at. And of course the P4/5 take all honors.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I think the Enzo, and the new 1khp buggati [sp] and the Z06 are the three best looking cars today. i think lambo's are just fuggly and the FGT look a lot better from the side and the rear, but I dont like the front.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:20 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Shylor
I've never been a big Lambo fan but after thinking it over, putting a front plate on one would be easier on the looks due to their side air intakes. And while I'm a big Corvette fan I still think the Vette needs a more exotic look with less rounding.
Do you consider the Ford GT to be exotic? It seems to have more "rounding" than the C6.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:13 PM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default GT is nice!

I had dinner last night with friends whose cars were Ford GT, Lambo Gallardo, Gemballa Porsche, Porsche GT 2. The Ford GT was all black - no stripes and the nicer wheels and probably Zainoed. It was killer! If I had the discretionary funds, there would be one in my garage next to my Z06
Old 08-20-2006, 09:34 PM
camille
Racer

Originally Posted by AZ FASTEST
I had dinner last night with friends whose cars were Ford GT, Lambo Gallardo, Gemballa Porsche, Porsche GT 2. The Ford GT was all black - no stripes and the nicer wheels and probably Zainoed. It was killer! If I had the discretionary funds, there would be one in my garage next to my Z06
Agree about the stripes. I'd pay more for one without the stripes. Side by side, the original Ford GT40 and its brethren are ten times more eye-popping than the current, cheesier version.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Cyclenirvana
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=phantasms]But of those three the Z is the best...and the fastest. QUOTE]

How did you arrive at this conclusion? I would contend that on any given day, it will be the driver that makes the difference in any of these cars...but here are some links to similar drivers/similar conditions comparisons between the Z06 and GT.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3768
In this recent comparison in R&T, Z06 slightly faster around the track, and GT slightly faster in the straights (0-60, 1/4 mi) with a higher top end.

http://www.automobilemag.com/multime..._z06_gt_viper/
In this video, GT slightly faster around the track (Gingerman Raceway) than the Z06.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta.../pageNumber=10
In this article, GT slightly faster lap time around Willow Springs and faster in the straights and the slalom...but Z06 wins overall award for best American exotic.

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/
Stig's lap time on Top Gear. Slight edge to the GT.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/5184756.stm
Central London airport runway, GT is 174 mph, Z06 is 167 mph.

So, there you have it. But the numbers are soooooo close. On any given track day, a better driver in Z06 will produce better lap times than me in my GT.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:50 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneus
I agree completely. That Ford GT is one super looking automobile. Although I am a Vette guy, I'd love it if the Vette looked like the Ford GT.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Cyclenirvana
Heel & Toe

The truth is that the new Z06 and the Ford GT can compete against any automobile the rest of the world has to offer. They are great cars. I talked to a Porsche guy at my last track event and he said, "You just can't ignore the Z06 anymore...it is such a bargain for what you get." I agree.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:33 PM
San Diego Z06
Instructor

Bill,
You own both cars. What is your take on performance and fun factor?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:41 PM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,308 Likes on 536 Posts

Those are all beautiful cars If I could choose one to have, I'd get the lambo..........

Then sell it and get a C6Z AND a GT
Old 08-20-2006, 11:00 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Those are all beautiful cars If I could choose one to have, I'd get the lambo..........

Then sell it and get a C6Z AND a GT
That would be nice but the Gallardo is about equal in price to the Ford GT.

A Murci is the big bucks one.....and I'd just keep the murci.

Get notified of new replies

To Took my C6 Z06 and Ford GT to car show today

Old 08-21-2006, 12:12 AM
mg0427
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Since I have owend a 06 Z06 & GT, I will give my opinion.

I will start by staying, the are both great car's, and I admire both, but from my research, the GT edges out the Z06, by a slight margin. The corvette is quite a bargain @ 70K. From what I have seen (I also believe this too) the Vette is sportcar, where as the the GT is a supercar, not because of performance(because they are so close), but by it's limited production, and its more exotic look. When I drove my Z06 around it doens't really turn heads. Only true car guy, would look and say cool. But with the GT, It's like I am a rockstar, the wife are stopping the husbands and telling them to look. I can't park the car in the street for long, because it draw a HUGE crowd and drool. Last week I went out, and so many people were drawn to the car, that an street officer was hang out next to it. He told me, I am watching your car for you, I am car guy, so I apprecaite the car I wouldn't want to see people getting too close to scratch it. On the highway, people actually slow down and move to the right lane so that I can pass so they can see the car.

Now, don't get me wrong I love the Z06 and respect it. But from my experience, if there was a vote by car people and normal people, I would put money the GT wins, I would put money that a 430 would also win against a Z06.

To sum up, the Z06 is great performer, but its more of an everyday car, with an everyday look, It not as exotic, and too many in production, to be a Supercar. Although, it performers like any supercar out there. Where the GT, is more exotic looking, and limited production, and definitly is not an everyday car, with normal looks, and that's why it makes so exciting. Running both I judge performance to be very similar and Driver make a big difference, but everything being the same, the GT will edge out.

Sidenote:
In phantasms video the Z06 had a tune and intake. Also the driver of the GT was on the GT forum say he wasn't racing full on, because of traffic, and didn't want risk the car, It easier to fix 70K car then a 170K car. Hence, why most exotic car owner are not willing to go all out crazy, like most vette, viper & mustang owner. Especialy with a GT were there is collectiblity value, not so with Z06 since they are produce in much greater numbers and are not as rare.

Please remember, this is how I see it, from someone who own's a GT and owned a Z06, but still love it too. If I had enough money I would have both, my GT for the weekend, the Z06 as my daily driver.

MG
Old 08-21-2006, 12:26 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with you, I don't have the Ford GT, but my partner does, his biggest problem driving it, is people looking , staring, taking photo with their cell phone, and get this, a husband and wife followed him home, he parked the car only to see the couple approach him saying: cool car, don't get nervous we live 3 houses down, a sign of relief for him. I have a 2007 ZO6, and love it, but every time I look at his Ford GT, I am num for a couple of hours, his is gray with silver stripes
Old 08-21-2006, 12:48 AM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mg0427
Since I have owend a 06 Z06 & GT, I will give my opinion.

I will start by staying, the are both great car's, and I admire both, but from my research, the GT edges out the Z06, by a slight margin. The corvette is quite a bargain @ 70K. From what I have seen (I also believe this too) the Vette is sportcar, where as the the GT is a supercar, not because of performance(because they are so close), but by it's limited production, and its more exotic look. When I drove my Z06 around it doens't really turn heads. Only true car guy, would look and say cool. But with the GT, It's like I am a rockstar, the wife are stopping the husbands and telling them to look. I can't park the car in the street for long, because it draw a HUGE crowd and drool. Last week I went out, and so many people were drawn to the car, that an street officer was hang out next to it. He told me, I am watching your car for you, I am car guy, so I apprecaite the car I wouldn't want to see people getting too close to scratch it. On the highway, people actually slow down and move to the right lane so that I can pass so they can see the car.

Now, don't get me wrong I love the Z06 and respect it. But from my experience, if there was a vote by car people and normal people, I would put money the GT wins, I would put money that a 430 would also win against a Z06.

To sum up, the Z06 is great performer, but its more of an everyday car, with an everyday look, It not as exotic, and too many in production, to be a Supercar. Although, it performers like any supercar out there. Where the GT, is more exotic looking, and limited production, and definitly is not an everyday car, with normal looks, and that's why it makes so exciting. Running both I judge performance to be very similar and Driver make a big difference, but everything being the same, the GT will edge out.

Sidenote:
In phantasms video the Z06 had a tune and intake. Also the driver of the GT was on the GT forum say he wasn't racing full on, because of traffic, and didn't want risk the car, It easier to fix 70K car then a 170K car. Hence, why most exotic car owner are not willing to go all out crazy, like most vette, viper & mustang owner. Especialy with a GT were there is collectiblity value, not so with Z06 since they are produce in much greater numbers and are not as rare.

Please remember, this is how I see it, from someone who own's a GT and owned a Z06, but still love it too. If I had enough money I would have both, my GT for the weekend, the Z06 as my daily driver.

MG
I agree with MG. I absolutely loved my 04Z06. I sold it to Steve here on the forum. I think Corvette missed the mark with the C6 Z06 by not maintaining the FRC style - that is an exclusive look! And yes, I drove the new C6 Z06 and it's performance is BREATH TAKING.

Yesterday a silver C6 Z06 drove in to Crystal Cove in Newport Beach, CA. It was the only one there. In contrast, there were 8 total GTs and the picture taking was countless. I did make my way to look at the Silver C6 Z06 and took a few private pictures.

In the end when it was time to upgrade, the GT was my pick. It has been an exotic for 40 years and will remain one for years to come. Until you have owned and driven one, you would never appreciate the car for what it really is - NOT JUST AN EXOTIC, BUT A LEGEND!!!!!

BTW, mine is Red w/ White stripes and as with many other GT owners, I am considering purchasing a second one - the Heritage Livery.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Took my C6 Z06 and Ford GT to car show today