Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Downside of the new ZO6 - Owners around here aren't true Corvette enthusiasts.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Washagain
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by CFRA_7
That's because it's the only environment where the Z06 reigns supreme. It's over-kill on the street. Kind of like dove hunting with a AK47. You can do it but not the best tool for the job. The standard C6 is just as good street car as the Z06 and the top comes off.
I'll immediately sell mine and get a Ford Focus then. Thanks for explaining to me how I'm not totally enjoying this car way more than the C6 coupe that I just traded in for it.

Last edited by Washagain; 06-14-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:21 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by phantasms
I think it has brought more hardcore drivers to the table.

When I go to a car show the Z06 owners, c5Z included, are talking about driving their cars.

All the C6 owners are talking about washing their cars, buying crap for the interior that matches the exterior, and showing each other how much chrome they have under their hoods.
I can attest to that statement. The only time I get crap about my car having numbers on the side of it or rubber up the fenders, it is always a non-Z06 driver. I do think the Z06 owners are way more into driving/racing their cars and not just looking at them.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:25 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I think Lager was getting around to the fact of the people who just bought the car to drive the hell out of it for a few weeks and tried to sell it for thousands more than what he or she paid for it
Old 06-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NC_EB_Z06
I think Lager was getting around to the fact of the people who just bought the car to drive the hell out of it for a few weeks and tried to sell it for thousands more than what he or she paid for it
You must have read that between the lines. I don't think that's what he stated at all. I think he's referring to people who buy them because of favorable press, just because they have the means to buy the car. He added that they don't have "passion" for the car.

I don't know enough about other people who are buying the C6Z to voice an opinion one way or another. I question the value of such speculation.

Last edited by Exterminator; 06-14-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:39 PM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by CFRA_7
I drive an FM in California. You haven't heard of me because they only have cows in Michigan and not racers.
Now that makes a lot of sense.

Driving an FM in Californa - unimpressed here. I guess I won't see you on the SPEED channel anytime soon.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:35 AM
C6 SILVER Z
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first vette and it has opened to whole new world. loving vettes of all generations also
Old 06-15-2006, 07:00 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There do seem to be a lot of Z06 owners posting who appear to have a una-brow.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:38 AM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lager99
I think all of the hype that the ZO6 has brought on, and rightly so, has brought on a different owner. In the past I have always found the majority of Corvette owners to be quite passionate about their cars but the Z owners here are merely buying the car for its bang/buck it seems. The value it brings to the car world is great, unfortunately it brings some poser's to the Corvette world.
Didn't we all at one time buy our first Corvette? How many of us owned something else before it? Does it make a difference that we buy it for the bank/buck, or tire smoking power, or girl appeal, or styling, or maybe just because you like the advanced design and exotic metals used in its construction? Give me a break. Poser's? Whats the defination of that? Someone who buys to make a profit, or buys to look cool, or just wants to wax it, or who wants to rip the engine out to make more power?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jazzlove
There do seem to be a lot of Z06 owners posting who appear to have a una-brow.
A "una-brow?" what in the heck is a una-brow?
Old 06-15-2006, 02:41 PM
pDz
Racer

sometimes the downside of Corvette ownership is that it's a tremendous car at an affordable price, which opens up the demographic to all sorts of people.

some dumb. some pretentious. some naive. the irony of this conversation is that a lot of people at this very moment think the M6 is prestigious and that concept is laughable! --here some people are promulgating the notion there is something so special about the Z06 that one needs to earn it as a privilege. unless you've been anointed by a self-selected personage or entourage, it's bad for the marque.

when Chevrolet owners start worrying about diluting the brand image......
Old 06-15-2006, 03:34 PM
ross_hanna04
Intermediate

I'm glad I upset you enough for your 26th post with a bunch of garble. Rarely does a 20yr old tell me to grow up.
"Rarely," but surely this 20yr old did tell you to grow up.

The Boss
Old 06-15-2006, 05:22 PM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think all of the hype that the ZO6 has brought on, and rightly so, has brought on a different owner. In the past I have always found the majority of Corvette owners to be quite passionate about their cars but the Z owners here are merely buying the car for its bang/buck it seems. The value it brings to the car world is great, unfortunately it brings some poser's to the Corvette world.
you'd maybe had to refer to some of the C6 owners as well and only the C6Z`s, i own a C3 and usually read and post threads in that forum, early this year, as i was wishing to buy a C6Z, i've been reading (and learning abt the Z) around this forum. Unfortunately i've found out that many, not all but quite a few) guys from here are quite of another breed of the C3 forum people, there is plenty of those who does not like drone sounds inside their cars , those who love their cup holders and many who would discuss for hours about which one is the best (poser) color for their corvettes. also, for beeing frank and showing sometimes different opinions i've been quite often accused (and sometimes deliberately offended) of knowing nothing, of spelling rudely (i'm italian and i guess i can spell a better english then those who accused me can spell italian ), i remember a guy telling me: 'look at your thread, what a s...' actually some people here showed themself quite similar to those old farts posers that i love to challenge in the streets with their superfast exotics and who always get dust right into their noble eyes and mouths. it's not a generation gap iussue, it's just a cultural abiss...but maybe it's only a lack of enthusiasm in the vette, who knows?

Last edited by panic; 06-15-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:41 PM
ajindfw
Racer

The C6Z has attracted a great number of CAR and MOTORSPORT enthusiasts. It competes and beats most of what the world has to offer, so don't be suprised that the world has fallen in love with this wonderful machine. Many people are becoming Corvette enthusiasts because GM chose to be serious in making the C6Z. I see it as a win-win for both GM and consumers, and a nightmare for the competition that cares to get into this pissing match. I wouldn't want to go toe to toe with a company that has the resources of GM.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:54 PM
stuka
Intermediate

Well, the fact that the Z06 still only comes with stick shift helps eliminate probably more than half of the potential poseur owners due to their inability to operate the Z06.

If you want poseur, look at P cars, where some of us are coming from.

911 Turbos used to be something special, in the 993 iteration, it had no traction control, and you had to at least know how to drive a stick shift car to be able to own one.

The 997 iteration comes with traction management, automatic, suspension control, etc, and etc. Befitting the new demographic that they are after...

I predict that with the 997 GT3/RS debacle of mandatory sunroof, that there will be more P car owners looking around here.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:21 AM
JoeyGibson
Racer

I'm not a new Z06 owner, But I've got a immaculant '91 ZR-1 in my garage.

I been reading this post and thought I would add my 2 cents.

Fist of all, I like the new Z06, but I don't have the cash for one....so does this mean I'm not a Corvette enthusiast ?

I don't think so.

If I had a lot of cash, I would buy a '67 big block convertable over any other Corvette. It's not about whether you have a new Z06, or a nice '69, or '62, it's a lot deeper than that.

I see a lot of guys at the Corvette shows wearing thier Corvette hats, T-shirts, Corvette shoes, socks and stuff, and wonder if any of them have ever got thier hands dirty. They try to get me to join thier clubs but I'm not interested in spending time with them and thier wifes who bake thier cakes and have thier Sunday drives, and think they are the most because they laid down a bunch of cash on a 'vette and now think they are in the "IN" crowd.

I feel I earned it.

As a teenager, I started with a '67 Chevelle SS, a few '69 Camaros and spent more time covered in oil and grease than I care to remember. I would go without some things so I had the cash for that new camshaft, or rear end. I bled over my performance cars and feel I have paid my dues. I have a few friends with 'Vettes. I have a friend who halfway though his complete brake system replacement on his '69 had to leave for a first date with a hot chick he just met. I stayed up until the wee hours in the morning finishing his brake job, and yes the payoff was driving his car with the new brakes at 4 am and trying out the brakes, breathing the gas and oil smells that are normal with the old c3's.

I do like the older vettes, as well as the new ones. Anyone who sneers when a nice C1, C2, C3, or C4 drives by is not an enthusiast.

Buying a new 'Vette does not make you cool, If you were not cool before you bought it, you probably aren't cool now. I might not be in the "IN" crowd that a lot of new C6 owners are, but I'm in my own crowd, and I respect and appreciate those people I know that are in my crowd, they earned it, they worked for it, and we can count on each other for help, advice and knowledge. Can't stand anyone who has never got his hands dirty or paid for his ownership in blood. Oh yea, and you don't have to be a Corvette owner to be in my crowd, any nice rod will do.

Actually went to a car show one time and they were turning away people in nice Camaros, Chevelles, and other trick rides, I started up my ZR-1 and one of the guys who was putting on the event asked me where I was going, I told him this was BS and left. They wanted thier own little Corvette show. When I go to a show, I get just as turned on seeing great old muscle cars, or an old truck or rod turned into a performance machine than most 'vettes.

To me there is a lot more to being a real Corvette person than just laying the cash down, putting on a Corvette golf shirt and thinking "Look at me....I've got a Corvette".

Its paying your dues in hard work, bruised and cut knuckles, grease and oil in your face, sweat and tears.

If I don't fit in your crowd, that is fine with me, you probably wouldn't fit in my crowd, but If you have a new Z06 and have paid your dues, you would be welcome, and would probably like my crowd.

Just my two cents, and hey, everyone is entitled to his opinion.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:41 AM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 06-18-2006, 07:28 PM
pDz
Racer

Originally Posted by JoeyGibson
I'm not a new Z06 owner, But I've got a immaculant '91 ZR-1 in my garage.

I been reading this post and thought I would add my 2 cents.

Fist of all, I like the new Z06, but I don't have the cash for one....so does this mean I'm not a Corvette enthusiast ?

I don't think so.

If I had a lot of cash, I would buy a '67 big block convertable over any other Corvette. It's not about whether you have a new Z06, or a nice '69, or '62, it's a lot deeper than that.

I see a lot of guys at the Corvette shows wearing thier Corvette hats, T-shirts, Corvette shoes, socks and stuff, and wonder if any of them have ever got thier hands dirty. They try to get me to join thier clubs but I'm not interested in spending time with them and thier wifes who bake thier cakes and have thier Sunday drives, and think they are the most because they laid down a bunch of cash on a 'vette and now think they are in the "IN" crowd.

I feel I earned it.

As a teenager, I started with a '67 Chevelle SS, a few '69 Camaros and spent more time covered in oil and grease than I care to remember. I would go without some things so I had the cash for that new camshaft, or rear end. I bled over my performance cars and feel I have paid my dues. I have a few friends with 'Vettes. I have a friend who halfway though his complete brake system replacement on his '69 had to leave for a first date with a hot chick he just met. I stayed up until the wee hours in the morning finishing his brake job, and yes the payoff was driving his car with the new brakes at 4 am and trying out the brakes, breathing the gas and oil smells that are normal with the old c3's.

I do like the older vettes, as well as the new ones. Anyone who sneers when a nice C1, C2, C3, or C4 drives by is not an enthusiast.

Buying a new 'Vette does not make you cool, If you were not cool before you bought it, you probably aren't cool now. I might not be in the "IN" crowd that a lot of new C6 owners are, but I'm in my own crowd, and I respect and appreciate those people I know that are in my crowd, they earned it, they worked for it, and we can count on each other for help, advice and knowledge. Can't stand anyone who has never got his hands dirty or paid for his ownership in blood. Oh yea, and you don't have to be a Corvette owner to be in my crowd, any nice rod will do.

Actually went to a car show one time and they were turning away people in nice Camaros, Chevelles, and other trick rides, I started up my ZR-1 and one of the guys who was putting on the event asked me where I was going, I told him this was BS and left. They wanted thier own little Corvette show. When I go to a show, I get just as turned on seeing great old muscle cars, or an old truck or rod turned into a performance machine than most 'vettes.

To me there is a lot more to being a real Corvette person than just laying the cash down, putting on a Corvette golf shirt and thinking "Look at me....I've got a Corvette".

Its paying your dues in hard work, bruised and cut knuckles, grease and oil in your face, sweat and tears.

If I don't fit in your crowd, that is fine with me, you probably wouldn't fit in my crowd, but If you have a new Z06 and have paid your dues, you would be welcome, and would probably like my crowd.

Just my two cents, and hey, everyone is entitled to his opinion.
"Owners around here aren't true Corvette enthusiasts."

it's that statement that makes me laugh. i understand your viewpoint from where you think that you've put in your time on the older chassis corvettes and built them up or restored them --i owned a C3 also-- but this post demonstrates that people are desperate in their lives to hold onto something that makes them feel superior or special, to rise above the unwashed or uneducated masses as it were. mind you, we're talking about a car that has always has always come with collars closer to blue than to white.

the irony is that, once again, it's something with a Chevrolet badge. it's laughable.

why would one even get bent out of shape about this? do people like martyrdom where they need to suffer and to have other suffer so they can be monks together? go join a british car club.

Get notified of new replies

To Downside of the new ZO6 - Owners around here aren't true Corvette enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2006, 09:07 PM
stuka
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pDz
"Owners around here aren't true Corvette enthusiasts."

it's that statement that makes me laugh. i understand your viewpoint from where you think that you've put in your time on the older chassis corvettes and built them up or restored them --i owned a C3 also-- but this post demonstrates that people are desperate in their lives to hold onto something that makes them feel superior or special, to rise above the unwashed or uneducated masses as it were. mind you, we're talking about a car that has always has always come with collars closer to blue than to white.

the irony is that, once again, it's something with a Chevrolet badge. it's laughable.

why would one even get bent out of shape about this? do people like martyrdom where they need to suffer and to have other suffer so they can be monks together? go join a british car club.
Dude, you are too funny.

So, why black? I was hoping that you would have gotten something a little more livelier, like say, yellow?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:07 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by playadam
c3-c4 vettes were ugly, and sloppy looking, and rode like hell. I will be a band wagon jumper because If GM brought back those chacteristics in the new Z....time to look for a new supercar! I am a late model (c5,c6) enthusist because the look was good, the power is awesome and it just keeps getting better and carries a VERY stealthy look.
This is an opinion. Mine is VERY different.

My opinion is that bumper C3s are the sweetest looking cars EVER built.

C3s with bumpers handled well and were fast (about .82G with stock tires when new, had 1/4 miles times in the mid 13s 427/435, quicker with the L88s and ZL1s, all with 215 section tires. The had better power than all subsequent Corvettes until the C6s, which match the '68 and '69s. Yeah, I know the DOHC cars were fast, but clearly no match for the top pre-federal engines. It is amazing how many late model Corvette owners have no idea how strong pre-federal Corvettes were.

It IS true that the latest Corvettes have an unequalled combination of power and efficiency.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:36 PM
AP
Team Owner

I would bet that many are not into Vettes like those on CF ..

Quick Reply: [Z06] Downside of the new ZO6 - Owners around here aren't true Corvette enthusiasts.