Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 weight

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 09:54 PM
elanderholm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carrera GT motor:
452lbs 605HP
discuss...
Old 05-17-2006, 10:19 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by elanderholm
carrera GT motor:
452lbs 605HP
discuss...
Nm - found it.

Last edited by EuG; 05-17-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:20 PM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

carrera GT motor:
452lbs 605HP
discuss...

The Carrera GT HP is underrated big time. Peak HP happens at 8000 RPM showing 575rwhp and peak TQ occur at 6000 RPM showing 411rwtq. As we know the GT is rated at 605HP and 435TQ. Assuming a 15% (10% on a Dynojet) Drivetrain loss since the engine is on top of the wheels it should dyno around 515rwhp and 350rwtq. So we can see that its underrated big time.

I have the dyno on a vid and for some reason the screen shot didnt really work to post it. So im going to write down the RPM VS HP and TQ.

These runs were made on a Mustang Dyno (Usually shows 5-9% lower than a dynojet).

RPM RWHP RWTQ
2600 120 250
3400 200 310
4200 300 365
5000 350 395
5800 450 400
6600 505 405
7400 555 400
8000 575 395

By the way the V10 engine in the Carrera GT weighs 472lbs based on the information i saw.

So i honestly think there is no comparison between the LS7 and the Carrera GT engine unless you want to tow something lol.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:43 PM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

carrera GT motor:
452lbs 605HP
discuss...
This is a case where the complexity is actually worth something. The Carrera GT engine is a sweet mill.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Baldturbofreak
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

something about that wounded coyote howl the 54deg 10's make.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slwhite
I think fuel consumption of both engines is probably about equal. Where the Vette gets its good fuel economy has to do primarily with low vehicle weight, excellent aerodynamics, and high overdrive in 6th gear.
slwhite,

I agree 100% with everything you've wrote on this page.

I don't have the exact Corvette numbers handy, but I know typical automotive validation tests are in the "hundreds of hours" realm.

I've dealt with midrange and heavy duty diesel engines that my customers have run on the dyno for around 10,000 hours at load. Think about that a second. Even after that, the engines till had much useful life left in them.

Originally Posted by 32valves
pushrod engines have NVH issues.....which is why they can't rev and also why they aren't installed in high end vehicles. They can be lighter (less cams) with a lower center of gravity but will ultimately make less power. GM has done an awesome job fitting a lot of internal displacement into a small package. After seeing what they did to get the heads to flow like they do, you have to ask what more can be done without going the multivalve route?

You can make an argument for pushrods as long as you can continue to up the displacement to keep up. The LS7 is now at it's maximum displacement and I don't see them moving that redline up any more which means that as far as a factory offering it is very close to being maxed out.

Lets see what happens to the LS7 if GM slaps some 32V heads on it for the blue devil. THAT would be an awesome engine. While it would gain ~ 30lbs., it would rev to the moon and make a TON of power.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:06 AM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Im working on a very nice dyno comparison between great engines (Carrera GT V10, M5 V10, Murcielgo V12, Gallardo V10, LS7, AMG 55 and 65)... I will just start another thread with it when im done.

The results are really interesting
Old 05-18-2006, 01:41 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
You are soooo right!!! Some of those tiny/high revving/overly complex European and Japanese engines look to me like Rube Goldberg was the Chief Engineer of their development programs.

There is elegance in simple designs. Also, regardless of what our esteemed German apologists may say about reliability and quality of German engines, more parts equal less reliability. It's in every engineering and quality assurance book I have ever read. Simple = reliable. Parts that are not there cannot fail.

PeterK and Verrückt, back to you.

Frank
See, you can't just say "less parts equals more reliability".

A hammer is a two piece machine. Two parts, a cast head and a shaft.

Do hammers fail? Sure they do. Aircrafts have millions of parts yet they are the most reliable form of transporation on the planet.

Ridiculous comparison? Sure...but it's equally ridiculous to say that a pushrod valve actuation system is more reliable simply because it has fewer moving parts.

That's because the motions involved, parts used, forces applied and trasferred are completely different! If anything, a pushrod design is more "rube goldberg" as the distance the force actuation must travel is much further and less robust...lending to the NVH and high RPM issues pushrod engines have.

Overhead cam engines have more moving parts, but the actual force transfer is more robust. The lever arms and linkages are shorter and more stout. The inertia of the actuation parts is less. The factor of safety can be higher. This is why OHC engines can reach 20k RPM, and pushrod engines cannot.

What does that mean? Well, if you are looking at TWO SEPARATE designs BOTH for actuating the valves on the LS7 via pushrods...then, yes. Your statement applies. The simple design may well be the better option. There are good pushrod designs and bad pushrod designs. There are good OHC designs and bad OHC designs. The only real engineering analysis you can make is to analyze each individual system and determine what part has the lowest factor of safety. Also, an complete FMEA analysis would help too.

However, you cannot compare to completely different processes and proclaim that fewer parts is more reliable as the forces, stresses, and factors of safety are completely different between the two methods.

Last edited by Verrückt; 05-18-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:42 AM
pDz
Racer

Originally Posted by Verrückt
See, you can't just say "less parts equals more reliability".

Do hammers fail? Sure they do. Aircrafts have millions of parts yet they are the most reliable form of transporation on the planet.

Ridiculous comparison? Sure...but it's equally ridiculous to say that a pushrod valve actuation system is more reliable simply because it has fewer moving parts.

That's because the motions involved, parts used, forces applied and trasferred are completely different! If anything, a pushrod design is more "rube goldberg" as the distance the force actuation must travel is much further and less robust...lending to the NVH and high RPM issues pushrod engines have.

Overhead cam engines have more moving parts, but the actual force transfer is more robust. The lever arms and linkages are shorter and more stout. The inertia of the actuation parts is less. The factor of safety can be higher. This is why OHC engines can reach 20k RPM, and pushrod engines cannot.

What does that mean? Well, if you are looking at TWO SEPARATE designs BOTH for actuating the valves on the LS7 via pushrods...then, yes. Your statement applies. The simple design may well be the better option. There are good pushrod designs and bad pushrod designs. There are good OHC designs and bad OHC designs. The only real engineering analysis you can make is to analyze each individual system and determine what part has the lowest factor of safety. Also, an complete FMEA analysis would help too.

However, you cannot compare to completely different processes and proclaim that fewer parts is more reliable as the forces, stresses, and factors of safety are completely different between the two methods.
V:

i appreciate the BMW V10 street motor as an engineering exercise --but if it was my money, i'd still buy a car with the new MB 6.3 litre engine. same peak HP numbers, but far superior torque numbers.

yeah, you need more displacement in the DOHC design to achieve the torque, but to me, that's worth it.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

IMO this is a worhtless argument. The Diesel in the Audi R10 should be engine of the year. After that any of the new V8's in this year's F1 cars. Entirely new motors put in an extremely harsh environment and they are showing remarkable longevity. The Carrera GT motor isnt new, but the Bugatti Veyron Motor is. I would rate that above as well. What about Saleen releasing the new S7's twin turbo motor with 700 and some odd HP? There are several new motors better than these two.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:05 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

"carrera GT motor:
452lbs 605HP
discuss...
Cost must always be an independent variable in the design considerations. I will guarantee you only one thing 100%; given no cost restraints whatsoever every single part on any car could be improved. Does anyone know what a BMW or Carrera GT crate engine costs? It would be surprising if you could get the Carrera GT motor for less than $150K. I can get a complete LS-7 for $13k. Does anyone think that given the delta cost the LS7 would not be improved?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:05 AM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghoffman
"carrera GT motor:
452lbs 605HP
discuss...
Cost must always be an independent variable in the design considerations. I will guarantee you only one thing 100%; given no cost restraints whatsoever every single part on any car could be improved. Does anyone know what a BMW or Carrera GT crate engine costs? It would be surprising if you could get the Carrera GT motor for less than $150K. I can get a complete LS-7 for $13k. Does anyone think that given the delta cost the LS7 would not be improved?
I agree.

452lbs 605HP
Got me very curious, so I read up on this motor a bit.

I must admit – it sounds incredible and Porsche must be given mad props for it!
However, one can’t ignore that it’s totally maxed out effort, cost not a factor engine.

LS7 is not only not maxed out, but detuned from factory as well.
It’s a confirmed fact that LS7 can make ~550bHP w/o any changes to the engine itself (just more aggressive tune and less restrictive air intake)

I have absolutely no doubt that a much more aggressive (yet still emission compliant) LS7 will make 600bHP+ w/o even breaking a sweat.

Once again, I’m VERY impressed with this Carrera GT engine and technology that went into it and not trying to take away anything from it , just discussing as you asked
Old 05-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EuG
You're 100% right on TQ at the wheels
Only problem TQ doesn't matter for acceleration - only HP does.
Please, let's not bring back HP vs TQ debate
I'm going to go ahead and call you out on that statement.

Try this.

Floor your car in first gear at 1000 RPM.

Now floor your car in 6th gear at 1000 RPM.

Notice the difference? In both cases, your engine is making the same horsepower and torque. The ONLY DIFFERENCE is the actual torque the wheels apply to the road through gearing. At those speeds the aerodynamics can be ignored.

I think you'll find a slight difference to say the least.

That's the effect of gearing on acceleration.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EuG
I agree.

Got me very curious, so I read up on this motor a bit.

I must admit – it sounds incredible and Porsche must be given mad props for it!
However, one can’t ignore that it’s totally maxed out effort, cost not a factor engine.

LS7 is not only not maxed out, but detuned from factory as well.
It’s a confirmed fact that LS7 can make ~550bHP w/o any changes to the engine itself (just more aggressive tune and less restrictive air intake)

I have absolutely no doubt that a much more aggressive (yet still emission compliant) LS7 will make 600bHP+ w/o even breaking a sweat.

Once again, I’m VERY impressed with this Carrera GT engine and technology that went into it and not trying to take away anything from it , just discussing as you asked
There is more than one tuner out there who will install twin turbos on the Carrera GT getting you 1000 hp+. It's not that big of a deal because obviously the same type of kits exist for the Corvette.

I have no other information on what types of modifications are required.

One link

Gemballa has one in development, but no one has seen a real car yet.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:56 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

I'm going to go ahead and call you out on that statement.

Try this.

Floor your car in first gear at 1000 RPM.

Now floor your car in 6th gear at 1000 RPM.

Notice the difference? In both cases, your engine is making the same horsepower and torque. The ONLY DIFFERENCE is the actual torque the wheels apply to the road through gearing. At those speeds the aerodynamics can be ignored.

I think you'll find a slight difference to say the least.

That's the effect of gearing on acceleration.

The problem with your argument is that you’re thinking “instantaneous”

The difference between accelerating from 1000rpm in 1st gear vs. in 6th gear is that your RPMs (and hence HP) will be climbing much more rapidly in 1st than in 6th.
Therefore the total HP during that run will be much greater in 1st gear and therefore car will accelerate much faster in 1st gear.

You can twist this inside and out, but there’s no getting away from physics.
HP is the only thing that matters for acceleration because it’s the rate of how fast work is being performed - by definition.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:00 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

There is more than one tuner out there who will install twin turbos on the Carrera GT getting you 1000 hp+. It's not that big of a deal because obviously the same type of kits exist for the Corvette.

I have no other information on what types of modifications are required.

One link

Gemballa has one in development, but no one has seen a real car yet.
I understand.
I didn’t mean to say that there’s no way to add HP to Carrera GT.
You can turbo or Nitrous any motor – that’s granted

I was speaking strictly NA, since we’re discussing the motor itself.
I think forced induction systems should be left out of such discussions, because it really bears on a totally different subject.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

But an aircraft requires considerably more maintenance than a car, right? Or a hammer, for that matter. I can jump in my car, go to the corner store, or go on a 50-mile trip, with no worries whatsoever. Would you trust an aircraft trip of any length in which you knew absolutely no checks were done before flight?
Then consider the millions (billions?) of hammers used everday vs the # of aircraft. All used without "pre-use inspection" . Surely, you're not implying that hammers need to be more complicated? The fact that they are this simple should tell you something.

And regarding those fuel economy numbers, the EPA results may be flawed, but that doesn't mean the Euro tests are the final word either. If you look at the Euro test, vs what German mags like Sport Auto and AMS have gotten with both cars, you'd see the M5's official Euro ratings are likewise optimistic.
Alternatively, you could look at real-world driving results by owners and other mags. From an M5 forum fuel economy thread with about 20 respondents, the average of mixed driving was about 12.0 mpg. The average of highway driving was 15.6 mpg. FWIW, R&T and C&D got 10.9 and 11.0 mpg in mixed driving.
From the recent Z06 forum economy threads, with about 14 respondents, the average mixed driving was 15.4 mpg. The average of highway driving was 26.3 mpg. R&T and C&D got 17.0 and 18.0 in mixed driving for the Z06.
By the Euro ratings, the M5 gets only .2 L/100 km worse than the Z06 in highway driving, or 23.0 vs 23.5 mpg. That's sort of a joke, considering those real-world driving experiences (and yes, many of those Z06 drivers were doing 70+ mph). And as an example, AMS got 20.5 for the M5. That's much less than their figure for the Z06: 26.0. (What's the Z06's EPA highway figure again?)

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 weight

Old 05-18-2006, 05:08 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
People believe the hype and are fooled into thinking that more complicated is better. They are also fooled by HP per liter figures. As pointed out above the LSx series engines are near impossible to beat; low weight, high HP & TQ, good gas mileage, simple (but don't confuse simple for low tech).
Excellent point Major!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:03 PM
nick@carter.in
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
I personally have always found these "Engine of the Year" awards conducted by Wards et al. nothing but laughable.

It is so obvious that these journalist have absolutely no engineering background what so ever and if they actually do, by the way that they conduct these “studies” it seems that they could have only obtained their degrees from diploma mills.

Literally all these morons do is read the manufacturers promotional material and base all finding on that without actually doing any type of independent quantitative scientific experimentation of their own.

Being an engineering student, if ever handed in a paper on the caliber like that conducted by Wards, I would guarantee myself a failing grade

How about pulling out multiple engines and running them continuously on a dyno for a few days while measuring emissions, fuel consumption and power to simulate real world use over thousands of miles then conducting a teardown.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:52 AM
Meir David
Intermediate

hi friend

Dont know exact weight,

but I'd not think it is any more than the 346. Still al. small block, crank is forged, rods are TI, heads are AL....

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 weight