Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06vsSRT10

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:42 AM
OsinO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right - because all all those publications are wrong...
Old 03-12-2006, 12:48 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

There are a couple of viper *** whippings over on covette kill stories if anyone is interested. Glad to see the crown back where it belongs.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Futch
Racer

You are all corrrect. So are the other guys. Now shut up.

The Z of today will be the Delorean of tomorrow. So will the SRT. Too many edges, not enough curves. No one cares about perfomance, 98% of the general population has no idea what an 11 second quarter mile is. They just know it's probably fast.

I like my 96 GTS, and I don't care what you other cars run in the quarter mile. From what I gather, neither does 95% of the public who consistently drool over old blue. Young, old, boys, girls, grandmothers, you name it.

I like my car best, and I sold a Vette 4 years ago to get it. I'm still happy with my decision.

The next Vette I buy will be from the 60's.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:31 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Tell us how you REALLY feel
Old 03-18-2006, 07:53 PM
slgz06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Futch
You are all corrrect. So are the other guys. Now shut up.

The Z of today will be the Delorean of tomorrow. So will the SRT. Too many edges, not enough curves. No one cares about perfomance, 98% of the general population has no idea what an 11 second quarter mile is. They just know it's probably fast.

I like my 96 GTS, and I don't care what you other cars run in the quarter mile. From what I gather, neither does 95% of the public who consistently drool over old blue. Young, old, boys, girls, grandmothers, you name it.

I like my car best, and I sold a Vette 4 years ago to get it. I'm still happy with my decision.

The next Vette I buy will be from the 60's.

Hey, you're the same guy that says "There is no such thing as horsepower".
The zero credibility guy....
Old 03-18-2006, 08:33 PM
markbrown
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bobby J
I call them like I see them. I've owned several Corvettes, and have never owned a Ford performance vehicle, so it's not like I am biased toward Ford products. I just give credit where credit is due.
im a ford guy - i just traded my first vette an 05 base for a 06 z06. i am going to buy one more car and was looking at the gt. the fit and finish is REAL bad. maybe the 1/2 gaps in the panels are so when the car heats up like a blackbird, the panels expand and the gaps get smaller?

i still want one and wish to pay 10 grand under msrp as they have 900 on showrooms unsold and 1200 more to build. the had to have it now people who paid way over msrp all have theirs and so only bargin hunters left.

i have also been looking at a gallardo, which i love the fit finish and design. i have to say the vette has great fit and cost going for it, as well as performance. if i didn't have a vette already i would just buy another one, i like it that much. mb

ps i still like vipers too.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:39 PM
markbrown
Burning Brakes

i think the viper is a nice car and has great looks, i wish the nose was more pointy. but what i don't like is the panel fit, i can stick my finger in the door and truck cracks. the hood fits nice for as big as that thing is. man ever lift the hood on a viper, were talking it's like and upside down bass boat bottom.
mb
Old 03-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Futch
Racer

Originally Posted by slgz06
Hey, you're the same guy that says "There is no such thing as horsepower".
The zero credibility guy....

Ok, take your torque, muliply it by a fraction, the numerator of which is your rpm, and the denominator of which is a constant 5252.

If you do the calculation at 100 rpm intervals throughout the entire range for two engines with 7,000 redlines, tell me how "hp" helps you understand anything? All you are doing is multiplying the measured torque by the same fraction for each motor. How does that help? Set up a spreadsheet & make a graph if you don't believe me.

Now what I did say, is that it (hp) is useful on engines with different redlines, e.g. one with 7000 rpm limit and one with 9000 rpm limit. I also said it is helpful on industrial engines that run CTVS, telling you how much work can be done per unit of fuel consumed. An example would be interstate natural gas engine with compressors mounted on the horizontal, prefferably loaded 100% torque through all rpm ranges sometimes using unloaders to vary the swept volume of the compressor cylinder.

The point I was trying to make on the other post is simply, these horsepower discussions you all confuse yourselves with have little relevance when discussing automobiles that often have rpm limits within 500-1000 rpms of one another. I mean, really, what's the point in all the math if that is the only variable to the HP equation?

Just read the torque curve; after all, it is the measure that underpins what "hp" will be.

Last edited by Futch; 03-19-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Futch
Racer

6 pages versus 2 over at the Viper forum? Really guys.................who is excited here? No one over there cares, and that is apparently most bothersome for some. Always will be I suspect.

See ya in another couple years with the same reminder.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Johnny Por'sha
Advanced

Originally Posted by bondmid003
I like how he essentially destroys his own argument by mentioning the color difference. In the two (and only two) days I have driven my Yellow Z, I have gotten more looks and flat out head turning stares then I can count. If his Viper were Black and sitting next to my Yellow Z, I guarantee the first car you'd notice would be my Z. It's just simple human nature that our eyes are drawn to bright and vibrant colors. The real test in his so called "gawk" factor would be if his friend had a color other than black. I like the black but like he said it just doesn't stand out so saying people ignored it is nothing, I've seen people totally ignore my stepmom's triple black 911 and didn't find this unusual at all.

Um, okay - lets not get carried away. There are over a million sold Vettes and yours is just "one more". I'm sure you do get curb appeal, when you are sitting next to a Ford Taurus. Next you'll be telling us that a Ferrari F430 and Jessica Alba were next to you in a parking lot and everyone walked over to the Vette to snap pictures...

Forget about performance for a second and there's no doubt that the Viper is MUCH more appealing to look at. Its one of the best looking street rides ever made. I also would say the same about the new Ford GT, wide, low and sexy...
Old 03-19-2006, 12:08 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Ok, take your torque, muliply it by a fraction, the numerator of which is your rpm, and the denominator of which is a constant 5252.

If you do the calculation at 100 rpm intervals throughout the entire range for two engines with 7,000 redlines, tell me how "hp" helps you understand anything? All you are doing is multiplying the measured torque by the same fraction for each motor. How does that help? Set up a spreadsheet & make a graph if you don't believe me.

Now what I did say, is that it (hp) is useful on engines with different redlines, e.g. one with 7000 rpm limit and one with 9000 rpm limit. I also said it is helpful on industrial engines that run CTVS, telling you how much work can be done per unit of fuel consumed. An example would be interstate natural gas engine with compressors mounted on the horizontal, prefferably loaded 100% torque through all rpm ranges sometimes using unloaders to vary the swept volume of the compressor cylinder.

The point I was trying to make on the other post is simply, these horsepower discussions you all confuse yourselves with have little relevance when discussing automobiles that often have rpm limits within 500-1000 rpms of one another. I mean, really, what's the point in all the math if that is the only variable to the HP equation?

Just read the torque curve; after all, it is the measure that underpins what "hp" will be.
Although you call yourself an engineer, you demonstrate a distinct lack of knowledge of the very real entity called horsepower. Torque is a force that may or may not do any work. If the torque is doing work, HP is the measure of the rate it is doing that work or how quickly a car gets down or around a track. That's the relevance of HP. And you can have two engines with a 7000 RPM redline making the same peak torque yet have one engine making substantially more HP. When determining shift points for max acceleration, it is much easier to look at the HP curve than going through the torque*gear ratio calculation. Yes, torque and HP are mathematically linked, but it is like the difference between what you're velocity is at some point on the race track and what your acceleration is at that point.
But I don't expect you to really get any of this.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:15 PM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Por'sha

Um, okay - lets not get carried away. There are over a million sold Vettes and yours is just "one more". I'm sure you do get curb appeal, when you are sitting next to a Ford Taurus. Next you'll be telling us that a Ferrari F430 and Jessica Alba were next to you in a parking lot and everyone walked over to the Vette to snap pictures...

Forget about performance for a second and there's no doubt that the Viper is MUCH more appealing to look at. Its one of the best looking street rides ever made. I also would say the same about the new Ford GT, wide, low and sexy...
I think overall the Viper coupe definitely looks better. The place where the Viper coupe really got it right is the rear glass treatment. Looking at it from the side, it looks like the Viper has less rear glass which is good. The C6Z looks more like a hatchback with all that rear glass. If they took the front end of the C6Z and combined it with the rear end of the Viper coupe I think it would be perfect.

Here is my score by looks only.

1. Ford GT (perfect)
2. Viper Coupe (don't like side pipes)
3. C6Z (too much rear glass)

Last edited by slwhite; 03-19-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Udaman
Instructor

Originally Posted by meadowz06
The Viper guys are really going to be pissed now, because preliminary reports on the 997 Turbo are coming in and it is faster than the Viper coupe also! They will be in dead last place now. GT, Z06, 997, Viper!
Preliminary numbers from Porsche for the 997tt are 0-62 mph 3.7 seconds manual shift, and 3.4 seconds for the tiptronic, the gearing in the tip gets it to 62 without a shift. 5 speed versus 6 speed manual. Pretty impressive. I expect the Gt2 will be a rocket since the rumors are that the 997tt S model will have somewhere around 525 hp. The Gt2 should have around 550. I will be in line to get one.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Cobra Skinner
Instructor

Wow guys I really thought this forum was better the that... I happen to be a member of both and have owned 2 Z06's thus far... I just parted with the last one recently... You need to understand what is going on in the viper forum is the same thing that went on here when the first z06 was introduced.. I can't remember how many posts I saw that with minor modifications to a stock Z06 it could run side by side with a viper... No offense guys this was not the case.. I have lots of friends with vipers and got smoked about everytime with my minor mods.. People can debate who was the better driver but the fact is the viper was the faster car... As far as which car gets more attention... GM does a great job of advertising the Z06. MOST people know what it is but not all. I can't tell you how many times I said I owned a z06 and barely got a reaction. Say you own a Viper and watch the jaws drop. I live in Chicago so it is a pretty populated area where people are knowledgable about cars. In the meantime just chill about the post guys. It seems now a days in this HP war one only remains king for a very short period of time.. I'm sure DC will come up with something faster and then GM will come up with something even faster. It's only a matter of time. I give it a few years..
Old 03-19-2006, 01:47 PM
bondmid003
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnny Por'sha

So what you're saying Johnny P is that in the ENTIRELY subjective category that is looks and appeal you think the Viper looks nicer and therefore that's canon? Hey folks you heard it hear first, Johnny P's opinions are actually factual statements and should be treated as such. These past few months I've been wasting my time with an ugly car so i'll go trade it in for a Viper ASAP. Thanks Johnny P for correcting me on my egregious error and saving me from total humiliation.

There may be a million vettes sold but not Z06s...and in that vain of logic, since there have probably been a million Porsche's sold let alone 911s, does that make yours just another Porsche?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06vsSRT10