Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] This would curtail street racing in a hurry!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default This would curtail street racing in a hurry!

About 25 years ago I bought a Trans Am. A friend of mine had a Honda Accord with a 5-speed with those big 13" rims!

He wanted to race. Instead of getting into a moronic situation, this is what I did:

I said, "I'll tell you what. Let's go for a ride and you can drive my car.
If afterwards you still want to race we can discuss it."

Well that was the last day he brought up racing to me. He had never been in a car that was so fast. The point isn't how fast or slow the Trans Am was, it was the fact that he had no clue what other cars were capable of.

I bring this up because today I was driving somebody to the airport an hour ago in my Z06.
On the way back home I had an Acura 3.2 TL Type-S jockeying back and forth trying to incite me. Funny thing is, I owned one of those cars 3 years ago as my daily driver. They are pretty peppy and I can see how somebody would think they are 'so fast'.

I just said to myself, 'pal if you only knew how foolish you look, you'd stop right now'.

Now I realize there will be gobs people who will never experience the power of the Z06 and a handful who will be in something faster.

Z06 Drivers: We need to prove nothing, it's already been documented.
You wouldn't pick a fight with Mike Tyson would you?

If everyone had the ability to drive one of these Z06 super-cars just once,
they would never again step up so quick to look so stupid. This is of course not even mentioning the fact that people die from these thoughtless acts which you'd think would be the real discouragement enough!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:48 PM
FAST LS1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that's a great day dream, but in reality some of these "slow" cars have been modded while being left stock looking.
What if a someone pulled up beside you in a Lingenfelter 650TT with no decals or badges on it?
Outcome: You brush him off as a stock C5 and he waxes you.

The point is, you don't know what anyone has under their hood unless you race them. Obviously with a new ZO6 far fewer people will be able to beat you, but there's still a lot of sleepers out there that can and will.

If you don't want to race just leave it at that, don't make up excuses to please yourself.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I didn't say eliminate. I said curtail. And yes it unfortunately is a daydream! I realize there are 100s of circumstances why idiots race.

Originally Posted by Formula
If you don't want to race just leave it at that, don't make up excuses to please yourself.
Exactly what my very last sentence in my post leads to!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:13 PM
NEVERL8
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 114 Posts

Good post, very true, AND you also made some serious browney points with the moderators.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:40 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Ok here's what you do..

If you at a stop light start reving the motor egging them one or
vice-versa..
I get this all the time with them damn rice burners..

Then let them peel off and fly down the road while you just ease off.

I have gotten many little sh*ts in there rice burners like that..

Its the little things that amuse me..
Old 02-13-2006, 07:46 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by louieT
Ok here's what you do..

If you at a stop light start reving the motor egging them one or
vice-versa..
I get this all the time with them damn rice burners..

Then let them peel off and fly down the road while you just ease off.

I have gotten many little sh*ts in there rice burners like that..

Its the little things that amuse me..
Then he plows into the car coming out of the neigborhood street carrying your wife and children...not very funny then.

Jay
Old 02-13-2006, 07:46 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

People are so blinded today, you could let the assclown drive the car and he will still come up with excuses why his little riceburner still rules ALL!!!

Last edited by SharkbyteLT4; 02-14-2006 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:55 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess that's a great day dream, but in reality some of these "slow" cars have been modded while being left stock looking.
What if a someone pulled up beside you in a Lingenfelter 650TT with no decals or badges on it?

The point is, you don't know what anyone has under their hood unless you race them. Obviously with a new ZO6 far fewer people will be able to beat you, but there's still a lot of sleepers out there that can and will.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:22 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

most of the time, they are not taunting you because they think they have a chance. they do it for you to get on it and show what its got
Old 02-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Greg H
Instructor

I have a great idea. After reading this post, I'm convinced my bone stock C5 Z06 is faster than your C6 Z06.

I drive over to Chicago and you let me drive your car. Over the course of an all day "lesson against racing a C6 Z06", I learn to appreciate one of the greatest sports cars of all time, and I don't challenge you to a race ever again. Then, I drive back to Iowa in my now seemingly underpowered 405hp Vette and want one of these C6s even more!

Old 02-13-2006, 08:31 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Greg H
I have a great idea. After reading this post, I'm convinced my bone stock C5 Z06 is faster than your C6 Z06.

I drive over to Chicago and you let me drive your car. Over the course of an all day "lesson against racing a C6 Z06", I learn to appreciate one of the greatest sports cars of all time, and I don't challenge you to a race ever again. Then, I drive back to Iowa in my now seemingly underpowered 405hp Vette and want one of these C6s even more!

i didnt say it but this thought did cross my mind. in my case, your're going to just have to take my word for it
Old 02-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Greg H

I'll tell you what........after reading your retort......I'm convinced you are right. Your car is faster and therefore you shouldn't trouble yourself with all those travel plans!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Some of you are missing his point. He is saying that it is stupid to race a inferior car. And in most cases he is right. I have a LPE twin turbo car that looks stock, and I get alot of guys that try and race a "stock Corvette", and 99.9% of the time I ignore them. What is the point of racing a car that you know you will beat? Street racing is very dangerous!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:35 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Yeah, I know I'll get a lecture

I was stupidly enticed on Saturday.

106mph in a 65mph. The cop was a vetter. He gave me the look wrote me up with a laugh and told me he liked to get on it too in his, but slow it down.

The other guy got away. This was my Lesson.

Only, $290 for the ticket.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Thud
Team Owner

I'd like to drive a Veyron, just once.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:39 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Puhlease! You are obviously not thinking clearly. There are not very many cars at all, modded or not that will beat this car. You fail to take into consideration the setup of the suspension along with the engine, trans, oh and the 11.5 second quarter mile times. Excuse me if I am wrong, but there are not very many cars on the street that will get into the 12's let alone the 11's. Modded or not. There is a little thing called traction that is a very important part of the equation as well. Know what I mean, Verne?!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:40 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Some of you are missing his point. He is saying that it is stupid to race a inferior car. And in most cases he is right. I have a LPE twin turbo car that looks stock, and I get alot of guys that try and race a "stock Corvette", and 99.9% of the time I ignore them. What is the point of racing a car that you know you will beat? Street racing is very dangerous!

Get notified of new replies

To This would curtail street racing in a hurry!

Old 02-13-2006, 09:41 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW
most of the time, they are not taunting you because they think they have a chance. they do it for you to get on it and show what its got
absolutely true! Happens to me all of the time.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 PM
TheJimer
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW
Someone finally got it right!

Jim
Old 02-13-2006, 10:00 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Best to be the more mature one and ignore it. I did with a Ford F150 supercharged truck, was in my stingray, I'm cruising with the likes of the soccer mom minivans, and he wanted to race, I ignore him, he floors it, he get pulled over a 100 yards or so ahead, I pass him leisurely, he gives me the finger while getting the citation. ZO6 owners have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone

Quick Reply: [Z06] This would curtail street racing in a hurry!