Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My driving impressions of the 2006 ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:54 PM
427 C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My driving impressions of the 2006 ZO6

Short version:
If you want a factory stock car with a warranty and you don't care about a removable roof, I believe the 2006 ZO6 is the ultimate sports car to buy.

The car is AMAZING!
The down low torque is INCREDIBLE for a stock, naturally aspirated car.

For me, the combination of low end torque AND top end RUSH that a twin turbo V8 or 1000cc bike that I have become addicted to was missing in the ZO6.
Once you have run BIG boost on a V8 or had a new 1000cc sportbike, everything else seems slow in comparison.

Coming to this realization was incredibly depressing for me.

I also learned a lesson about myself.
I don't have the ***** or will to spend the $70k+ to have the best production sportscar available.
I have to admit, I am disappointed in myself.

I told my friends tonight I'd rather buy a $40k car and be a little disappointed with it than buy a $70k that I'm not 100% in love with stock.

At the same time,
I have always wanted a removable top and forced induction in a Corvette, so it will be a coupe for me.

I am happy that I came to this conclusion BEFORE I bought the ZO6 and not after.
I'm also very happy I didn't mod any Corvettes until I had the opportunity to compare the 06 ZO6 to the modified C5's I have driven. (two Lingenfelter Stage2 TTs+ and two Cartek head+cam ZO6’s)
I can honestly say the only 2 things I have ever driven that left me completely satisfied were a Lingenfelter Stage II+ C5 and my 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000.
I have to give Cartek credit for their 2 head and cam ZO6's I drove that were VERY fast AND incredibly well balanced and mannered.

If you want a factory stock car with a warranty and you don't care about a removable roof, I believe the 2006 ZO6 is the ultimate car to buy.

Congrats to those who have the ***** to step up to the plate.
I obviously don't.
Maybe the Corvette Super Sport will offer everything I want with a ZO6 or less price tag.
I'll check back in 2008.

In closing,
the new ZO6 is awesome.

Please IM me with any flames instead of posting in this thread.
Just one man's opinion here.

Last edited by 427 C6; 12-10-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 427 C6
Please IM me with any flames instead of posting in this thread.
Just one man's opinion here.
I see no reason why you would be flamed. You are just expressing your
thoughts and being honest. Take a bow!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Bristol
Racer

Default Winding Road

undefined

Take a look at page 12 of the Winding Road Magazine and read about the "Blue Devil" version of the Z06 that Bob Lutz taked about. It is a 625 Hp Supercharged factory stock vette.

It will blow the doors of a very thing for $100,000.00

Bristol
Old 12-11-2005, 03:06 AM
alexWS6
Drifting

I dont understand what is so great about having a targa top
Old 12-11-2005, 04:00 AM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

Targa - have you owned one or a few? It's the reason I have not yet purchased a new Z06. I love the targa design... I guess it's like favorite colors?
Old 12-11-2005, 07:42 AM
vetteman22
Pro

I have an 05 coupe and the new Z ...don't miss the targa at all...
Old 12-11-2005, 09:44 AM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had my roof off my 98 3 times in 8 years!!!....
Old 12-11-2005, 10:44 AM
PsychoBob
Cruising

Originally Posted by vettemaster1
had my roof off my 98 3 times in 8 years!!!....
I'm not sure it's always a question of actually removing the roof. I like my C6 transparent roof panel because it feels more open inside. I purchased the dual-roof option, but never use the solid-colored roof because it feels too "tight."

I know that the interior dimensions don't change because of switching the roof. But, I like seeing the sky.

Now, if they could build the Z06 with a fixed transparent roof, I'd be quite happy.

And thanks for your honest assessment of the Z06. You need to be comfortable with your purchasing decision when laying down that much money for anything.

Last edited by PsychoBob; 12-11-2005 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoBob
I'm not sure it's always a question of actually removing the roof. I like my C6 transparent roof panel because it feels more open inside. I purchased the dual-roof option, but never use the solid-colored roof because it feels too "tight."

I know that the interior dimensions don't change because of switching the roof. But, I like seeing the sky.

Now, if they could build the Z06 with a fixed transparent roof, I'd be quite happy.

And thanks for your honest assessment of the Z06. You need to be comfortable with your purchasing decision when laying down that much money for anything.
To complete your mods to a new C6 coupe (($52k OTD?), including brakes, cooling (radiator, tranny, differential), buffed up tranny and drivetrain, tubbed rear fenders, new wheels and tires, shocks, bars, tuning, etc. you will push up against the $70k price of the C6Z AND have a car that can be serviced by virtually NO ONE and that will not hold its resale value. It will also be 200lbs + heavier than the Z I did this with a C5 Z06 by adding a C5 Block 427 motor and all the goodies. Just something for you to consider in your purchasing decision. Do you know how much it costs to flat bed a car to Indiana for service?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:45 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PsychoBob

I have had two of these transparent roofs on my vette's and loved them except for those small cracks that develop in them. That always bugged me..................I am quite happy with the solid roof..........................
Old 12-11-2005, 11:55 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
I see no reason why you would be flamed. You are just expressing your
thoughts and being honest. Take a bow!

Well last time I checked we were still in the USA so I hope you can say what you want.

Nobody has to agree but you can still say whats on your mind.
(For now anyway)

When I first started looking at Corvettes to buy I wanted a Vert or coupe for the open air feeling. My mistake was to purchase my 02 ZO6 because then driving a stock one just wasn't enough for me.
Even the new coupes to me felt slow compared to my 02.
My opinion and I accept yours...
Old 12-11-2005, 01:02 PM
TetraU
Drifting

C5 TT+ from LPE is awesome, but it cost 150K or there about twice of the new Z06. So, I think if you couldn't bring yourself to buy hte best deal in super Car hsitory, you would be waiting for ever for that better deal. Like someone pointed out the Super Sport or Blue devil is cost significantly more. It sounds to me that you are just telling us how the grapes are sour when you can't get tem.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:09 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako7
To complete your mods to a new C6 coupe (($52k OTD?), including brakes, cooling (radiator, tranny, differential), buffed up tranny and drivetrain, tubbed rear fenders, new wheels and tires, shocks, bars, tuning, etc. you will push up against the $70k price of the C6Z AND have a car that can be serviced by virtually NO ONE and that will not hold its resale value. It will also be 200lbs + heavier than the Z I did this with a C5 Z06 by adding a C5 Block 427 motor and all the goodies. Just something for you to consider in your purchasing decision. Do you know how much it costs to flat bed a car to Indiana for service?
For many people that's the joy in not buying a car like a Z06, the buying and installing of mods.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:12 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
For many people that's the joy in not buying a car like a Z06, the buying and installing of mods.

So true..........!!
Old 12-11-2005, 01:21 PM
surfman
8th Gear

Default Comparison?

Hey there 427 C6,
Sorry I don't know your name.
So what kind of comparision would you make b/n your TT C5 and the C6Z06 -- sounds like you've driven both. Is there a very noticable difference? Have you had any major problems with the TT or had to get any major overhauls done?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:42 PM
427 C6
Instructor

Originally Posted by TetraU
C5 TT+ from LPE is awesome, but it cost 150K or there about twice of the new Z06. So, I think if you couldn't bring yourself to buy hte best deal in super Car hsitory, you would be waiting for ever for that better deal. Like someone pointed out the Super Sport or Blue devil is cost significantly more. It sounds to me that you are just telling us how the grapes are sour when you can't get tem.
I know your just busting my *****,
but I need to clarify.
I could buy that Z tommorrow with cash without a problem.
No sour grapes here my friend.

The towing to Indiana is a SIGNIFICANT issue without a doubt.
I think it would be great if Lingenfelter could start setting up "service agents" in strategic parts of the country.(NYC, LA, S. Florida, etc)
Lingenfelter could use Gm dealer techs who would receive additional training or even offer tech support from specific tuners.

We have many great tuners across the country,
specifically on this forum.
But if we all lived in Indiana,
I think it's obvious who we'd be using.
Hopefully if we all lived in Indiana the increase volume would lower the pricing as well. =)

But if you live in CA, thank God for Andy at A&A.
If you live in the NYC area, thank God for Cartek and ECS.

Last edited by 427 C6; 12-11-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:53 PM
427 C6
Instructor

Originally Posted by surfman
Hey there 427 C6,
Sorry I don't know your name.
So what kind of comparision would you make b/n your TT C5 and the C6Z06 -- sounds like you've driven both. Is there a very noticable difference? Have you had any major problems with the TT or had to get any major overhauls done?
I hate to put my neck out,
but I don't have a TT C5. (PM flames now )
Check the Forced Induction forums and do a search for turbo or TT.
The ZO6's torque is awesome, but it doesn't continue to pull to redline like a TT car does.
With a well designed TT V8, you get still get low end torque and it will pull HARD all the way to redline.

For the street,
I think a manual C6 coupe with long tube headers, tuning, and
4:10 GEARS
will be a TON of fun and offer an incredible return for your investment.
But,
what do I know.

I want to make one thing clear.
The new ZO6 is INCREDIBLE!
If you are road racing,
I don't think it can be beaten.

It can be dublicated, but at what cost?

If it had a targa, I would have bought it;
even though I feel it's overpriced.

If GM had even used forged pistons for the easy addition of forced induction, I MIGHT have gotten past the hardtop.

I'm still hoping that the Super Sport had forced induction, 600hp+trq, a targa top, and a 06 ZO6's MSRP.
If that's the case, I will bite the bullett.

Last edited by 427 C6; 12-11-2005 at 02:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My driving impressions of the 2006 ZO6

Old 12-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Fredo
Racer

I drove a stock Z-06 this morning. Very nice car, however,I was not impressed. I was disappointed with the performance. I was expecting much more.

It badly needs a cam, headers and a tune. Obviously, the car has great potential but as stock, it is lacking.

my 2 cents
Old 12-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Hampi
Racer

Fredo: As for as I know, you are driving a C6 Z51 with around 420 RWHP.

How does your car compare to the C6Z06?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Fredo
Racer

Originally Posted by Hampi
Fredo: As for as I know, you are driving a C6 Z51 with around 420 RWHP.

How does your car compare to the C6Z06?
Please don't get defensive, it is only a car. This is a forum and, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe we all have rights to an opinion.

If you reread what I wrote, I said "I believe the car has great potential". I also understand that GM has issues to deal with such as CAFE and emissions. IMHO it needs mods to bring it up to it's potential.

I only stated that I was dissapointed with its stock performance. I shouldn't be surprised that any type of crticism or illuding to the fact that there are other high performance cars on this thread other than the Z-06 brings out the child like responses from some.

And thank you for following me around the forum and monitoring my modifications.

To bring you up to date my Z-51 now sports a stroker that dyno'd 518 rwhp and 498 rwtq.

Best wishes

Quick Reply: [Z06] My driving impressions of the 2006 ZO6