Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Put the FUSE back in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 11:36 PM
gary501
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Put the FUSE back in!

Took out the fuse for a few weeks, immediately noticed a significant difference in low end power.

So i decided to put it back in.

Guess i'm going to hold off for a few weeks until Corsa release their new exhaust.

Looks impressive.

Gary
Old 11-07-2005, 12:17 AM
'86VetteHead
Burning Brakes

im just curious, why would that happen? if the exhaust is less restrictive then shouldnt it give more power? if i am wrong on this, or mistaken on the situation, please fill me in.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:06 AM
dgussin1
Racer

Originally Posted by '86VetteHead
im just curious, why would that happen? if the exhaust is less restrictive then shouldnt it give more power? if i am wrong on this, or mistaken on the situation, please fill me in.
cars need backpressure...period...not enough backpressure will kill low end power and slightly increase top end.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:28 AM
2006Z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually noticed better acceleration and it revs faster. Just my opinion.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:43 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by 2006Z06
I actually noticed better acceleration and it revs faster. Just my opinion.
My opinion is that you just noticed more noise. If any improvement is there, it would be too small to notice without test equipment.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:15 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gary501
Took out the fuse for a few weeks, immediately noticed a significant difference in low end power.

So i decided to put it back in.

Guess i'm going to hold off for a few weeks until Corsa release their new exhaust.

Looks impressive.

Gary
I pulled mine too and I did not notice any power drop at all...............course, I have a switch to control it but did not lose power..............
Old 11-07-2005, 02:59 AM
FFCobra
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dgussin1
cars need backpressure...period...not enough backpressure will kill low end power and slightly increase top end.
This is a myth. Maybe one of the tuners can explain this better, but an engine is a big air pump. The more volume it can move, the more power it makes. Torque and horsepower are related, If TQ goes up, HP will likely increase too.

Choaking off the exhaust will NOT increase TQ. It will decrease it. Look at the numbers LG posted. A larger down tube and headers INCREASED TQ a lot. As a percentage basis, I think the LG's headers and long tubes increased the torque more than HP. I could be wrong about that, but that's what I would expect because the engine is so "choked off" to LOWER the TQ. This way, less drivers will end up in the ditch and keep the suits happy at GM.

- Bill
Old 11-07-2005, 10:29 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

maybe he is noticing some lost of power just taking it easy around town rather than having it under medium or high load
Old 11-07-2005, 10:40 AM
alexWS6
Drifting

you're incorrect
Old 11-07-2005, 10:59 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

While this may have had some minor merit as an argument back in the days of carbuertors and before the days of dynamic pressure measurements in headers (and intakes), it no longer does.

Firstly, there is no such thing as actual 'back pressure' in an exhaust system, there is a constant series of high and low pressure pulses running around. Backpressure is mearly the average of these pulses, and a rather meaningless average at that.

Secondly, now that headers are much better understood (e.g. measured), we know that the header resonance is responsible for delivering lots of TQ to the rear wheels, but only when the header resonances are made to line up with the cam timings.

Thirdly, the "backpressure" actually improves mid range power, this is a sign that the collector is too short, not that backpressure is doing anything positive.

This is all found in Lingenfelters book "On modifying Small Block Chevys". I suggest you give it a read.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 AM
vipervetteguy
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 102 Posts

Gen II Vipers (and maybe other Gens) use 2.25" exhaust, which seemed so out of place with an 8L. I always thought that was to create more backpressure, resulting in its enormous and early torque. Not true?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:43 PM
gary501
Advanced

Guess i need to take it to the dyno and get it all squared away.

Gary
Old 11-07-2005, 02:18 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
While this may have had some minor merit as an argument back in the days of carbuertors and before the days of dynamic pressure measurements in headers (and intakes), it no longer does.

Firstly, there is no such thing as actual 'back pressure' in an exhaust system, there is a constant series of high and low pressure pulses running around. Backpressure is mearly the average of these pulses, and a rather meaningless average at that.

Secondly, now that headers are much better understood (e.g. measured), we know that the header resonance is responsible for delivering lots of TQ to the rear wheels, but only when the header resonances are made to line up with the cam timings.

Thirdly, the "backpressure" actually improves mid range power, this is a sign that the collector is too short, not that backpressure is doing anything positive.

This is all found in Lingenfelters book "On modifying Small Block Chevys". I suggest you give it a read.

Absolutely correct on all counts - including the book - excellent read!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup

Serious.

Get notified of new replies

To Put the FUSE back in!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Put the FUSE back in!