Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Update on the blown (dead) Z06 in NM

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 11:54 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Why are you people ripping on this guy for putting N2O on his car? WHY?
Again, N2O like any other power adder, if not done correctly will hurt parts. I have years of experience with turbos, superchargers and nitrous and all brough me years of trouble free performance....because I always tuned my set ups.

All my old C5's had nitrous and I never blew up anything. In fact, my last one ran low ten's all day long with a stock block
Look, many will sit here and bash the use of nitrous on vehicles, and why?. When I last checked, my Z06 is a combustion engine, and like many combustion engines, when installed and tuned properly, the rewards are endless.

Call me what you like, I will be installing my old n2o kit on my Z as soon as I hit the 1k to 1.5K mile mark. Mines will be a dry kit, and like inthe past, I will start at a 100hp level. Oh and those who will cry..."noooo you have too much compression crap", well, my last C5 was pushing 12.1 comp on 93 octane, 140 dry shot and it made 620 the wheels with great A/F and super great ET's.

My personal experience with all my car then and now have shown me that a 100 dry shot is the perfect start up...the whole fuel system and PCM can handle that level w/o tuning, just make sure to change the plugs with 2 range cooler, gapped between 0.35 -to- 0.40 and enjoy! Then, with tuning and bigger injectors, the sky is the limit
Old 10-22-2005, 12:01 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

The old racers' motto, "how fast do you want to spend" applies here.

I've helped a lot of guys set up nitrous systems and the first thing I tell them is that if they can't afford a blown engine, look elsewhere for more power. When it is setup properly, it is fairly safe. When it is setup poorly, bad things happen. It's definitely not idiot proof.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:11 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Seems like the more you pay for the car the more disrespectful, harsher, and rougher the audience is on you.

I read through this thread and wow....

yes the video SHOWED the nitrous bottles.....two very visible in the rear window.

No, it isn't GM's fault but to the credit of my earlier opinion, the cast pistons have no place in a 65-70k car. I was bashed for noting that the Ford mustang cobra came with forged pistons. I wasn't saying I like mustangs or the build quality but rather simply pointing out that the GM flagship should in fact have pistons capable of nitrous, boost....anything. Cast pistons are silly in this car.

I do feel bad for this guy and anyone that has trouble with a toy that should be giving the guy some play time after earning the money to get it.

Now with a properly built bottom end he should be good for the power numbers that are fantasy on a stock bottom end cast piston 7 liter. Now the world can see the panzy *** cream puff cast pison 7 liter for what it is and start paying some real respect to the well built superstrokers that have been around for years from tuners that show 700-800rwhp from them constantly at a track.

As for the mean statements I read, you don't have to mod your car if you don't want to. If you think the stock Z06 is the be-all end-all then happy you. Don't bash the guy for doing what he pleases with his car. I voided my warranty the week I bought it. His car, his decision to do anything he wants to it.....as if modding the holy GM flagship was a sacreligious act....puhleeeze...there are guys out there modding f430's the day they get them. Worry about your own issues.

After he gets the bottom end fixed with real pistons, he will get what he wanted in the end. He will live.

Stock sux

Last edited by SpinMonster; 10-22-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:45 PM
nathaalll
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from another forum:
the z06 melted the #2 piston, and it was bad enough that the block is goingto need to be re-sleeved. the shop is pulling the block as i'm writing this to be shipped off for a complete rebuild. i'm betting the owner will upgrade, he has a buttload of money.
i don't like pointing fingers but a little bird told me that the shop that did the install put the nozzle where it was practically spraying straight into the #2 cylinder. i believe itwas put after the throttle body, but i haven't seen it first hand. apparently the shop doesn't consider that to be a problem so they are just going to rebuild the motor and try again. probably with the same result. be careful who you trust to do your work, this motor only had 800 miles on it and i don't doubt it's the first production ls7 to be blown up in the US.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:54 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

where did my posts go?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Just because the LS7 is "hand assembled" don't expect it to built correctly 100% of the time. I was at the factory Oct 14th and with all the parts lying around was a LS7 engine that had a spark plug cross threaded(at least that was what was marked on it). If that great UAW engine "assembler" couldn't thread a spark plug into a head correctly, who's to say he can correctly assemble the pistons, rod, crank, etc. 100% of the time. I have no idea what happened to the engine covered in this thread, but to say the engine was perfect and the nitrous installation was faulty may not be 100% factual.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:51 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds like had his son's highschool friends hook up the nitrous system for him But seriously, sounds like a ricer setup to me.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:11 AM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Nice to see the shop that installed the Nitrous pointing fingers and taking zero responsibility.

Guess Death and Taxes aren't the only certainties in life.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:11 AM
PacerX
Burning Brakes

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Just because the LS7 is "hand assembled" don't expect it to built correctly 100% of the time. I was at the factory Oct 14th and with all the parts lying around was a LS7 engine that had a spark plug cross threaded(at least that was what was marked on it). If that great UAW engine "assembler" couldn't thread a spark plug into a head correctly, who's to say he can correctly assemble the pistons, rod, crank, etc. 100% of the time. I have no idea what happened to the engine covered in this thread, but to say the engine was perfect and the nitrous installation was faulty may not be 100% factual.
It's actually pretty easy to cross-thread a spark plug into an aluminum head...

Which is why the best policy at home is to spin them in by hand until they seat and then torque them to spec.

Furthermore, apparently that dumb UAW worker CAUGHT THE PROBLEM... which is exactly what one would hope for.

Rule of Thumb for Human Beings Inspecting Anything:
They'll miss about 20% of whatever they are inspecting for in a repetitive task, which is why automated inspection systems are so popular.

That includes you, BTW. However smart you think you are or are not, you'll miss right around 20% of them too.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:37 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ZL-1
"Cocaine for cars"
Or in this case "Crack" would be more accurate! Bad pun, sorry...
Old 10-24-2005, 01:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by PacerX
It's actually pretty easy to cross-thread a spark plug into an aluminum head...

Which is why the best policy at home is to spin them in by hand until they seat and then torque them to spec.

Furthermore, apparently that dumb UAW worker CAUGHT THE PROBLEM... which is exactly what one would hope for.

Rule of Thumb for Human Beings Inspecting Anything:
They'll miss about 20% of whatever they are inspecting for in a repetitive task, which is why automated inspection systems are so popular.

That includes you, BTW. However smart you think you are or are not, you'll miss right around 20% of them too.
If you're paying attention to what you're doing (and getting paid to do) you won't cross thread a spark plug, even in an aluminum head. The engine I saw was in Bowling green, which means it made it into a completed car before being caught, since the engine is "hand asssembled" in another facility, and then by an automated inspection. I don't have any idea how smart you think I am, and I really could care less. I spent most of my working career in manufacturing as an Industrial Engineer and a Manufacturing Engineer, and when I retired I was Manager of Manufacturing Services, responsible for the Industrial Eng., Mfg. Eng and Plant Engineering functions for three facilities. I have some experience in knowing how to build things in a manufacturing enviroment.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:15 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 90 Corvette ZR-1
where did my posts go?

You too? I had a number of posts conveniently removed at the DR-1 in BG over in ZR-1 disc. Isn't it nice? No explanation, just 'clensed' like a **** prison camp.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:38 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
You too? I had a number of posts conveniently removed at the DR-1 in BG over in ZR-1 disc. Isn't it nice? No explanation, just 'clensed' like a **** prison camp.
My posts were:
For some people stock isnt' fast enough
and
We have been running 125 shots on 11:1 motors for years. What makes the LS7 so different?

Let's see how long these stay
Old 10-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey if an outlaw sprint engine can break parts why can't a corvette? Abuse leads to failure in all cases! If you ever plan on racing, you need to get over the idea that engines don't grenade. Even the best built, most expensive engine will break if you give it time. As for the cast piston thing, talk to the bean counters on that one, I'm sure the engineers wanted forged!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Update on the blown (dead) Z06 in NM