Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Gouging Dealers "Wall of Shame"

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 08:49 AM
JLC629
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HadAZ06
I'm continually flabbergasted by everyone's disgust at dealer price-gouging. It's simple: don't buy from them. If everyone else shares your sentiment, the cars won't sell. If they do, it's because the market is willing to bear the markup. This is Eco 101, people. Relax.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Fritz Hier
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
All of the people that I know that bought C5 ZO6's over MSRP and actually admit it ALL say they are sorry they did it. They thought the car would be a limited run and were afraid they wouldn't get one. They all would like to upgrade to the new one but will now hold out for the hype to end. C5 Z's are great cars but they are a dime a dozen now- no big deal, just as the C6Z will be. I feel sorry for the stupidity of the morons playing into this hand and resentment for the dealerships doing this. I get a laugh out of these boneheads saying that it's because "the whiners don't have the money". Give me a break. The smartest and most affluent folks I know do not throw their money away. And they can afford to. They choose not to.
Well said!
Old 10-29-2005, 12:47 PM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=JLC629]

The only problem in that way of thinking is that what if all the dealers gouged. Then your 70,000 z06 would be 85,000. What would you say then? Increase over msrp has also caused alot of speculators, taking spots from enthusiasts who really want the car, and cant afford another 15000. Both the dealers and the speculators are artificially inflating the price of the car. This is really short term thinking on the dealers part. In my honest opinion, I believe they will cause alot of resentment, and lose current and future sales. Look at the C6..dealers are offering 3-7000 off msrp on 05's, and at least 1-3000 off 06's. The same will happen with the Z06. I was set to buy a C6, but got turned off of the pricing and the dealers, and decided to wait until the market cooled down. I bought another performance car..and will get a Z when prices settle down.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Josepy
Racer

Steve

Some errr most dealers are desperate. If you really want a Z06 you can get one for sticker. Just this week on my day off they sold our only 2006 for 5K off sticker. I was embarrassed.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:36 PM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.david
It really doen't matter what the officail policy is. There are Dealers that always try to sell over invoice.
Doc....Please get it right here!! "officail" OFFICIAL...
Old 10-29-2005, 04:23 PM
JLC629
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=steve burns]
Originally Posted by JLC629

The only problem in that way of thinking is that what if all the dealers gouged. Then your 70,000 z06 would be 85,000. What would you say then? Increase over msrp has also caused alot of speculators, taking spots from enthusiasts who really want the car, and cant afford another 15000. Both the dealers and the speculators are artificially inflating the price of the car. This is really short term thinking on the dealers part. In my honest opinion, I believe they will cause alot of resentment, and lose current and future sales. Look at the C6..dealers are offering 3-7000 off msrp on 05's, and at least 1-3000 off 06's. The same will happen with the Z06. I was set to buy a C6, but got turned off of the pricing and the dealers, and decided to wait until the market cooled down. I bought another performance car..and will get a Z when prices settle down.
Personally I wouldnt even pay MSRP.I'm patient,I'll wait for the hype to settle.As good as they are these are still GM products and we all know that there will be incentives in no time.As far as taking spots from enthusiasts is concerned,IMO if you can afford a $70k recreational car $85k isnt that much of a stretch.How many people buying this or any performance car for that matter ever drive the vehicle at ITS limits?I'd hazard a guess at not many.These forums are great but represent a small percentage of Corvette owners.The dealers adding a market adjustment do so because they can.Check back with any of them in a year and see if they are still in business or if the adjustment hurt their sales,I say they will be there and will be doing just fine.The bottom line is something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.The '06 Z06 is the hottest game in town right now and the dealers know this and they also know that there are people willing to pay the price of admission.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:42 PM
YellowFvr
Racer

Crown Chevrolet
Dublin, CA

-Asking 100k out the door (without batting an eye) for their black z06 last week. That's right, 30k premium.

p.s. they're also still asking 8-10k premiums on base c6's.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:44 PM
prc6vette
Racer

Originally Posted by YellowFvr
Crown Chevrolet
Dublin, CA

-Asking 100k out the door (without batting an eye) for their black z06 last week. That's right, 30k premium.

p.s. they're also still asking 8-10k premiums on base c6's.
BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Those guys are such turds! Last September, they had a 20k markup on their C6's. I spent 20 minutes one evening looking & was totally ignored. I bought mine a week later from Graham in Santa Barbara for under MSRP & even got thanked by the owner.

How do these places stay in business?!?!
Old 10-29-2005, 11:10 PM
hub_cap
Advanced

Originally Posted by prc6vette

How do these places stay in business?!?!
Fools buy from them?
Old 10-29-2005, 11:25 PM
turbolou
Burning Brakes

Default Reply

[QUOTE=Jacob]As a public service, I believe we should publish a list of dealers known to be gouging the public by charging in excess of MSRP on the C6Z06. I suggest the following:

1. Dealer name and location.
2. Upcharge being applied to MSRP.
3. Any comments from the dealer on why they are charging a premium.

Not only will we know which dealers to avoid, GM will know that we know. While we live in a free country, perhaps we can, in some small way discourage this behaviour.

Anyone else feel this way?

Jacob[/QUOTE) Stopped by Foothill Ranch Chevrolet in Lake Forest CA. was told that three Z's were expected & already spoken for at 105,000 each.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:44 AM
Ticket Magnet
Advanced

[/QUOTE) Stopped by Foothill Ranch Chevrolet in Lake Forest CA. was told that three Z's were expected & already spoken for at 105,000 each. [/QUOTE]

When I hear numbers like that I know they are lying. I feel they only say that to get you ready to pay more. It is only a game. At the last Birthday Bash I remember hearing that up to 20% of production could be Z's. That means there will be a lot of cars available. Right now it is crunch time. People hear that they are out and they MUST have one. If you must have one you will probably pay a must have price. If you want the latest and the greatest you pay the price. In just a few short months these great values may be even greater values at UNDER msrp.

Just my .02c
Old 10-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ticket Magnet
Stopped by Foothill Ranch Chevrolet in Lake Forest CA. was told that three Z's were expected & already spoken for at 105,000 each.

When I hear numbers like that I know they are lying. I feel they only say that to get you ready to pay more. It is only a game. At the last Birthday Bash I remember hearing that up to 20% of production could be Z's.
I agree. I was at my local gouger in Greenville SC and he wanted $10k over sticker. Now if you were going to pay $105,000 for the car, why on earth wouldn't you just spend the $80k they are asking, throw it on a trailer for a couple grand and ship it home for at LEAST $15k and maybe $20k less?

Doesn't make sense to me.

I see the arguments about "getting it now is worth a premium" and I agree. For those that have the money, I believe it is ok to pay over and ok for the dealers to get more than MSRP. But if you are buying the car for $105k without looking around at your options, then that IS STUPID.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RFC2
What should we do about our fellow members flipping cars for a profit? Should we "out" them and heap scorn as well?
Yea, we should. They are taking a car from a person who really wants one and turning it for a profit. It stinks and they should be outed
Old 10-30-2005, 05:20 PM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kelly100
Yea, we should. They are taking a car from a person who really wants one and turning it for a profit. It stinks and they should be outed
Old 10-30-2005, 07:42 PM
turbolou
Burning Brakes

Default Reply

Originally Posted by Kelly100
My reason for supporting this post! Two years before the ZR-1 was released I had a deposit & agreement for MSRP with a dealership called Champion at that time. About the time they were finally released. I got a refund back & a letter stating that the company had changed hands & they were no longer obligated to comply. I was so pissed I wrote every GM zone office in the country & basically got lip service. About four months later that same dealer called me after they ripped off the suckers who paid way over sticker & the fervour cooled had the nerve to offer me one at MSRP & chastised me for complaining to GM. By then I had already found one $4,000.00 below What is going on right now is the very same scenario. If that was capitalism then what would the definition of fraud?The pox on GM & any dealer they support who would take advantage of someone like that. Enthusiasts such as my self buy Corvettes because they are a perf, bargain Even at MSRP they are getting beyond the reach of many & driving them right into the arms of their competitors. Not too business smart in my opinion. No wonder GM is going broke.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:48 PM
Josepy
Racer

Lou

You simply ran into a bad dealer. Not all of us are like that. You have to remember most of the guys in charge of dealerships are the one who sold cars 15 years ago. That time period was very dishonest and it was all about the "today" deal and no thought was given to long term.

I think if you found the time to look around there are many people like me who will give you superior service at a good price.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:26 PM
turbolou
Burning Brakes

Default Reply

Originally Posted by Josepy
Lou

You simply ran into a bad dealer. Not all of us are like that. You have to remember most of the guys in charge of dealerships are the one who sold cars 15 years ago. That time period was very dishonest and it was all about the "today" deal and no thought was given to long term.

I think if you found the time to look around there are many people like me who will give you superior service at a good price.
If I offended the honest business people I apologize & am just venting. I also have many more good dealer experiences than bad. But one tends to only remember the worst. This post kind of rekindled that experience.
I have owned 14 vettes in my life & will probably buy a Z06 but I would feel like an idiot paying one cent over MSRP even though I could afford to. There are a lot of us obviously that feel the same. I think E-bay is the place for gougers to advertise & not an enthusiasts forum. In my opinion its arrogant insulting & not too intelligent,

Get notified of new replies

To Gouging Dealers "Wall of Shame"

Old 10-30-2005, 09:47 PM
watt
Advanced

question-

why didnt you guys ORDER one a year ago or so? i heard about it, and ordered from Kerbeck, got my car 3 weeks ago at window.

pretty standard concept, works with Porsches and Ferraris also: order car well in advance, pay window.

notice you want one when they ship, pay over.

this is not new news
"be prepared"

Old 10-31-2005, 12:48 AM
Cambria
Racer

Courtesy Chevrolet
San Jose, Ca
20k above MSRP
Old 10-31-2005, 02:00 AM
Raycer X
Advanced

I have been been laughed at, lied to, and flat out abandoned by several Chevrolet dealerships because I am trying to spend 71,000.00 on a 71,000.00 car. I currently own a 92 ZR1 and a 04 Tahoe, and have previously owned at least 5 other Chevrolets, 3 of them Corvettes. I am not wealthy by any means it would take selling all cars that I currently own and buying a piece of crap for a daily driver which I am willing to do to own the new ZO6. I am a true enthusiast who just wants the new ZO6. Because of the treatment I am and have been receiving I am currently looking to see what else I may find for 70,000.00 plus that is not made by Chevrolet. When the hype has settled I will not feel sorry for the dealerships and their staff who have been disrespectfull when car sales have slowed and they are once again hurting for sales be it Corvettes or the other models I used to consider. Just my .02 from a long time die hard Chevy fan.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Gouging Dealers "Wall of Shame"