Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 650hp SRTCoupe, ZO6 in trouble???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

I never see Vipers driven as daily drivers. I only see them on Sundays, so that's one reason they are rare. I know why Ferrari's aren't daily drivers. They are just too expensive and time consuming to maintain. Porsches are used as daily drivers, and they are just as expensive to purchase as a Viper, or more so. They aren't as expensive as a Ferrari to maintain, though.

So why aren't Vipers used as daily drivers?

Michael
Old 08-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Dean McManis
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my Viper for over 4 years, and it's been my daily driver, as my Corvette was before it.

As opposed to many people here, I would rather have a Viper or a C6 Z06 over a pricey Ferrari F430.
What originally drew me to the Corvette and Viper was the fact that they can be driven regularly (and hard from time to time) as opposed to Ferraris which are rarely driven more than 5K miles a year. :o

You don't see Vipers driving around much because there have been less Vipers built in the last 12 years as there are Corvettes built every single year. And cars like the Corvette, 911, and Mercedes SL have a more compliant ride, and more luxury amenities.

Cars like Ferraris and Lamborghinis cost MUCH more than Corvettes and Vipers do. Plus Italian performance car maintenance needs to be performed religiously, which costs even more money.

Admittedly, there are some Viper owners who (like Ferrari owners) buy their car for status, or as a weekend toy. And some wealthy owners buy their Vipers mostly for racing events in the same way that some people buy a Lotus Elise.

But most people would be surprised to hear that many Viper owners actually do drive their cars daily.

Last edited by Dean McManis; 08-02-2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:08 AM
VetteSane
Intermediate

Default 650hp LS7

If the supercharged LS7 comes out ...I wouldn't mind paying some extra $200/month pocketchange on top of the $1200/month I am going to paying for my '06 ZO6 if it all adds up to 650 heartbeats@6000rpm. I would take this over a Viper anyday.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:37 AM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by canadianguy
...how is the war against the world going?
The only reason we have to do the fighting is 'cause you snow monkeys don't have much of a military................you guys would much rather spend your money on socialized medicine (which is working out real good.....not) and protecting gay marriage laws. Oh, that's right, you know the good ol' USA will cover your *** in a fight.....so why bother, right?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Old 08-03-2005, 06:35 AM
PimpDadd
Racer

Originally Posted by ghostmech
The only reason we have to do the fighting is 'cause you snow monkeys don't have much of a military................you guys would much rather spend your money on socialized medicine (which is working out real good.....not) and protecting gay marriage laws. Oh, that's right, you know the good ol' USA will cover your *** in a fight.....so why bother, right?
Me too
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take one of these rather than a C6 Z06 or a Viper. It is a thing of beauty if you remove the BSM, and drop in a stroked LS2 and some other goodies, it will still cost less than the new one and will outperform both C6 Z06 and Viper for less money. True it now a "new" car, but I am almost hoping to damage my car so I feel justified in ordering a wide-body kit for $6000 along with 315 fronts and 345 rears to fit under the fenders. On an aside not, I recently drove a 2005 Viper with exhaust and tune, and I can truly say I didn't like it. My Vette is much more responsive on the throttle and handling, and the interior of the Viper feel small and cramped in comparison. Despite $2000 in exhaust/headers, the V10 sounded awful. I don't think anyone will dispute that, even Viper owners.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 08-03-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:41 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB500
Better take off your rose colored glasses and put down the crack pipe.
Dude I was cracking up after reading this!!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 PM
canadianguy
Pro

Originally Posted by ghostmech

So when are you and your boyfriend flying down to get married?

Last edited by canadianguy; 08-04-2005 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Sounds like this thread may be closed soon.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:54 PM
1Day
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael A
Sounds like this thread may be closed soon.
whats the short when you enter the thread just before its close...???

well I have already done that.. (but still would like to know)
Old 08-04-2005, 12:07 AM
1Day
Drifting

Originally Posted by canadianguy
I have alot of friends that are American, so I would never slam your country the way you just slammed mine with your snowmonkey crap. Individually speaking, you are an ignorant POS who thinks it's cool to go kick the crap out of defenceless countries so you can control more of the world's economy. I agree our recent gay marriage laws tend to attract losers like you, so when are you and your boyfriend flying down to get married? We don't need you to "cover our ***" in a fight moron, the world doesn't hate us. I don't agree with everything your country does, and I don't agree with everything my country does. This is where I was born, this is where I am happy. You had no reason to stereotype, namecall, and bash a whole country. You sound like you have alot of hate inside, maybe you were just bred that way. You and your 2 little flag swinging boyfriends should make an effort to travel more, maybe you would wake up and realize there are alot of nice people next door, who are not much different than you.

Ignore morons like these..ppl @ times ppl think no end of "US of A" and in their own right sure they can but hate it when they over excessively do it in public..sometime ppl just dont know better... I think three quater ppl living here at times dont know whats happening in the rest of the world..thats how ignorant they r..for them WORLD = USA and I am serious..
Old 08-13-2005, 09:08 PM
canadianguy
Pro

Originally Posted by sprjudge
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....page_number=13

The 400hp C6 beats a 500hp Viper by .3 secs on the same track, with the same driver.

The Viper will probably need an additional 150hp, to keep up with the Z06.

You are still that silly little man every one used to call beavis. When will you make any sense? By the way how is ***** doing? Did you guys have a good time in Mexico? How did the new marriage work out?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Very entertaining thread...............

I like the Viper, I like the Ford GT, and I like both the C6 and Z06. I looked closely at a 2005 SRT-10 convertible before ordering the Z06. All are more capable than my skills allow as a driver, and cost definitely factors in one of the three above.

I found a new Viper at a dealer who was willing to make the same deal as my MSRP deal on my fully equipped (as ordered) Z06. It had been sitting on the showroom floor for several months.

What sealed it for me was experience with active handling on my C6 in everyday driving on the street. It's saved me a few times. The Viper lacks that. As a friend with track experience counseled me, there are 3 types of Viper drivers, those who have spun out, those who won't admit it, and those who will sooner or later. An experienced road course racer can make them all look good.

I'm into vintage performance cars, but for a modern car, I'd only buy a daily driver in this price range. My sense is that the C6 is easier to drive fast and is more forgiving for daily street use. I hope the Z06 will be the same, and would expect it would be with the same active handling system.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:09 AM
doyle
Advanced

Default ALMS Vipers

Originally Posted by micro
Dodge should revise the SRT10 Viper. Perhaps an aluminum chassis could help. It also needs a nicer interior.

A great thing about the 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe is that it will likely race in the American Le Mans Series. The Dodge Viper Competition Coupe is raced in Speed World Challenge, but it can't be raced in the American Le Mans Series.

http://www.americanlemans.com/home/index.aspx

The new Viper Coupe reminds me of the old GTS even though the new one lacks the cool clamshell hood. The new one does have an 'edge' that starts at the front fenders instead of below the windshield.

Here is the Dodge Viper Competition Coupe. Tommy Archer won the 2004 Driver's Championship in Speed World Challenge GT in one of these.

The new SRT10 Viper has hood vents similar to the previous Viper.

Vipers have been entered in ALMS races for years. Their V-10 lost to the Corvette team just like Ferrari and all the other V-12's.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:01 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

doyle,

The Viper Competition Coupe isn't homologated for ALMS or Le Mans, but the new SRT10 Coupe could be raced in ALMS and Le Mans.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:54 PM
reddevl
Pro

Not to be a PITA for some one but i would take the side of dodge viper anyday. The reason why last 3 years of viper sucked is mainly due to the part of very low investment in the project of the 02-05 viper. There is already an interview article by dodge viper designers regarding the project funding on the viper. Now after chrysler hit the jackpot on profits there was an another article with the same designers about the new viper, funding on the viper project, designs improvements and upgrades, and if they are worried about the up and coming z06. Dodge always pulled out tricks out of there bag in the wayyyyyy past and as well in the recent times. I wouldnt disgrace the MIGHTY and BADBOY looking viper yet. in the past it was true that stock-stock chevy boys had hard time to keep up with the vipers. But only time will tell the answer. If it were from the looks perspective the corvette looks refined sort of like even balance, and ofcourse the problem with that is its not totally american(what i mean is the fact that it does scare the pants off people looking at it), while the badboy viper looks rough and tough and ready to take on a challenge.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:52 AM
TruUndrtkr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lazerwolfe
Vette looks better.
But that thing is still bad azz..
Old 08-15-2005, 01:15 PM
C5_SWISS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Midnight Storm
You think it cost $8K for that paint?? Go get a real quote.

I can not believe we corvette people are arguing over this... both cars are great but how can you even start comparing them and say one is better? I've had both... I've also had ferraris and porches and austin martins... The vette has everything and more to keep up with the 200,000 dollar imports at a 8th of the price... let's see that gives you 150,000 dollars to play with mods and engine upgrades. So who really wants to play with a vette with 150 thousand put into it? You could install a fridge or a disco in the rear and still run 8's! Can we stop arguing now.

~MS

I would think that someone who owned those cars would know that it is "Aston Martin", not Austin as in Austin Healey....

...And I would think that someone who owned those cars would let finished his wide body project by some professionals in few months instead of a two Years 'home project'!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] 650hp SRTCoupe, ZO6 in trouble???