Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6R 1-2 GT1 @ 24 hours of Leman

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 10:47 AM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6R 1-2 GT1 @ 24 hours of Leman

Congratulations. Although the Astons' appeared to be the faster cars, the Vettes were flawless with the exception of two cut tires, a stunning run for the Corvettes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to Tom Christensen who now holds the record for overall wins @7, thats amazing. Also for the Porsche haters, the 911 GT3 took the top seven positions in GT1, none of which were factory teams, another dominating year for them. Cool race lots to see and lots to brag about for a few of my favorite cars, the Vette and 911!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6spdvert
Congratulations. Although the Astons' appeared to be the faster cars, the Vettes were flawless with the exception of two cut tires, a stunning run for the Corvettes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to Tom Christensen who now holds the record for overall wins @7, thats amazing. Also for the Porsche haters, the 911 GT3 took the top seven positions in GT1, none of which were factory teams, another dominating year for them. Cool race lots to see and lots to brag about for a few of my favorite cars, the Vette and 911!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Astons' are going to be a real contender very soon.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:00 AM
raj
Drifting

Default Hats Off to Team Corvette!

CONGRATULATIONS to Doug Fehan and his impeccable Corvette team for a near flawless race! Despite the incredible speed of the Astons, the boys in yellow never panicked or lost their cool - truly a great team effort and a great day for all Corvette fans!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:14 AM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CONGRATS!

The Astons were fast ... but they made mistakes ... GAS? OVERHEATING? ... come on ... it is a 24 hour race that they have no practice in ... those should be obvious things to make sure of.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Trance Guru
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05C6spdvert
Porsche, the top 7 spots? Yes well who else is in the GT3 series? 1 Panoz and 1 very slow Ferrari Modena. To bad somebody doesn't field some Corvettes for that class. It would be a clean sweep.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Ransom 1
Instructor

Congrats Team Corvette!!! You make us proud! --DCK
Old 06-19-2005, 12:02 PM
ASASN
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

....that's why they call it endurance racing!! Excellent execution of a great plan! Hats off to the Astons, they're great competitors.....great day for American racing throughout!!

Congrats Team Corvette.......you make us proud!!

Peace!
Old 06-19-2005, 01:00 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Not only did they win, they proved how great and endurance car first the C5R and now the C6R is, i.e., both going 3,000 miles without a minute in the garage for repairs.

Couple that with the C6Z06 going all out for 24 hours at VIR without a repair (new Corvette Quarterly article), Corvettes are becoming incredibly stout.

Real nice Father's Day present!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 01:24 PM
fgordon
Racer

- Corvette Racing made history today at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, scoring its fourth 1-2 finish in the GT1 class in five years with the new Corvette C6.R. Corvette Racing drivers Oliver Gavin, Olivier Beretta and Jan Magnussen reprised their victory in last year's 24-hour endurance race, and were again joined on the podium by teammates Ron Fellows, Johnny O'Connell and Max Papis.

The team celebrated Corvette's 45th anniversary at Le Mans in style, finishing fifth and sixth overall. Corvette Racing turned back the challenge of the Aston Martin team in a hard-fought battle that often saw all four cars on the same lap. In scorching heat, the twin yellow Corvettes completed 349 and 347 laps respectively, scoring the 38th win for Corvette Racing in international road racing and the team's 25th 1-2 finish.

After trailing its rivals through the night, the 19th hour proved to be the turning point for Corvette Racing. The No. 64 Compuware Corvette C6.R driven by Gavin, Beretta and Magnussen took the point when the leading Aston Martin pitted for repairs. The Corvette kept relentless pressure on its pursuers, running 3-minute, 55-second laps in withering 97-degree heat. The Corvette victory was sealed when both Aston Martins encountered problems in the 23rd hour,

"I pushed hard, it was like qualifying every lap," said Magnussen, who drove a stunning double stint at the crucial time. "I was trying to stay out of trouble, be consistent and work the traffic. It paid off and we wore out the competition. I enjoyed every minute of it because I could see that we could open up the gap. It's the best we could hope for."

"This is a fantastic result for the first time we've run the C6.R at Le Mans," Gavin declared after he forced the pace in the closing hours in his own double stint. "The Corvette Racing team just never, ever gives up. The team told me that we needed a certain lap time to make sure they would never catch us. We achieved the lap time we needed, and they broke. I take my hat off to Aston Martin, but nobody beats Corvette Racing. I'm just delighted to be part of the team and driving with brilliant teammates like Olivier Beretta and Jan Magnussen."

Full article is on the ALMS Website

It looks like the Corvette team waited for the Astons to show a weakness and then went for the throat!

Last edited by fgordon; 06-19-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:55 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Congratulations team corvette!!!! For all of us that watched the TV coverage I have to say that the camera crew spent an inordinate amount time in the pits and not enough time on the track. There had to have been some incredible racing going on, but sadly it wasn't shown.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:16 PM
MrsRedBlur
Instructor

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by fgordon
- Corvette Racing made history today at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, scoring its fourth 1-2 finish in the GT1 class in five years with the new Corvette C6.R. Corvette Racing drivers Oliver Gavin, Olivier Beretta and Jan Magnussen reprised their victory in last year's 24-hour endurance race, and were again joined on the podium by teammates Ron Fellows, Johnny O'Connell and Max Papis.

The team celebrated Corvette's 45th anniversary at Le Mans in style, finishing fifth and sixth overall. Corvette Racing turned back the challenge of the Aston Martin team in a hard-fought battle that often saw all four cars on the same lap. In scorching heat, the twin yellow Corvettes completed 349 and 347 laps respectively, scoring the 38th win for Corvette Racing in international road racing and the team's 25th 1-2 finish.

After trailing its rivals through the night, the 19th hour proved to be the turning point for Corvette Racing. The No. 64 Compuware Corvette C6.R driven by Gavin, Beretta and Magnussen took the point when the leading Aston Martin pitted for repairs. The Corvette kept relentless pressure on its pursuers, running 3-minute, 55-second laps in withering 97-degree heat. The Corvette victory was sealed when both Aston Martins encountered problems in the 23rd hour,

"I pushed hard, it was like qualifying every lap," said Magnussen, who drove a stunning double stint at the crucial time. "I was trying to stay out of trouble, be consistent and work the traffic. It paid off and we wore out the competition. I enjoyed every minute of it because I could see that we could open up the gap. It's the best we could hope for."

"This is a fantastic result for the first time we've run the C6.R at Le Mans," Gavin declared after he forced the pace in the closing hours in his own double stint. "The Corvette Racing team just never, ever gives up. The team told me that we needed a certain lap time to make sure they would never catch us. We achieved the lap time we needed, and they broke. I take my hat off to Aston Martin, but nobody beats Corvette Racing. I'm just delighted to be part of the team and driving with brilliant teammates like Olivier Beretta and Jan Magnussen."

Full article is on the ALMS Website

It looks like the Corvette team waited for the Astons to show a weakness and then went for the throat!

Way to go TEAM Corvette. Proud as we can be of the effort.
Zora Duntov is surely smiling on the efforts of all involved. Dave Hill and the Corvette TEAM know how to make a statement with a world Class car. GREAT JOB
Old 06-19-2005, 03:30 PM
supapuff3
Heel & Toe

Yeah what happened when i went to bed the #58 Aston was in the lead, then when i woke up the were 1&2, not that i am complaining or anything just curious anyone stay up and watch the whole thing .
Old 06-19-2005, 04:15 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by MrsRedBlur

Way to go TEAM Corvette. Proud as we can be of the effort.
Zora Duntov is surely smiling on the efforts of all involved. Dave Hill and the Corvette TEAM know how to make a statement with a world Class car. GREAT JOB

Oh yes, Zora would indeed be proud. Team Corvette of today is facing competitors that may have made even Zora think twice about competing against yet the Corvette team delivers yet again. Unfortunatelly, I didn't catch the end of the race but I will say this concerning the Corvette...you know you've picked an immaculate sports car to admire when you can say to yourself "Ah, they'll have the 1-2 finish tomorrow", go to bed and wake up and have your confidence confirmed by the poll results. Those Corvettes are BULLET......PROOF!
Old 06-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Vettin Man
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Way to go Team Corvette.....the Atlanta Gran Prix was great.....now the Petie Le Mans seems like its just around the corner.....can't wait!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Y2KMRC5
Instructor

Default Alms Website?

Z06'ers,

Since I don't get the SPEED Channel, would someone tell me the ALMS website so I can 'read all about it'.

Dave
Old 06-19-2005, 04:42 PM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

Originally Posted by bcmarly
Congratulations team corvette!!!! For all of us that watched the TV coverage I have to say that the camera crew spent an inordinate amount time in the pits and not enough time on the track. There had to have been some incredible racing going on, but sadly it wasn't shown.
Geez, that was incredible! I can't figure out for the life of me why looking at the japanese teams' R8 car in the garage was better than some in car footage or maybe even some actual racing. Crazy. Speed channel should take note, less garage drama more racing feeds.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:47 PM
supervette64
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

i tried wacthing the whole thing, couldnt do it, but i woke up with them winning, it was such a great way to start the day

Get notified of new replies

To C6R 1-2 GT1 @ 24 hours of Leman

Old 06-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Kingpin
Instructor

Originally Posted by bcmarly
Old 06-19-2005, 07:33 PM
zo6fun
Instructor

Originally Posted by Y2KMRC5
Z06'ers,

Since I don't get the SPEED Channel, would someone tell me the ALMS website so I can 'read all about it'.

Dave
Here's the site: http://www.americanlemans.com/home/index.aspx

The coverage was pretty bad... but we have to be careful in blaming "speed channel". It's NOT their fault since they are given the "televised" feeds from the French TV coverage there. Soooo, that's why we saw so little of the Corvette (zee French do not like) but there were a couple of good in-car runs around the track in the C6-r. I stayed-up until about 3am and then the wife woke me up about 6am to watch the rest (we have a new daughter so I'm up alot now anyway - happy Father's Day!). I have it all on tivo, just like to watch the race "as it happens"... was good to see both Aston's lose it with about one hour to go by running out of gas and the other overheating. I really don't think these will be much competition at other tracks since we can out-brake them so easily... the only reason they could stay ahead of us was due to their straightaway top speed. The rest of the season should be good, but this was a real spanking by the C6-r's... especially finishing 5th OVERALL, that's really an incredible feat for Chevy/GM and the teams... good work!

Last edited by zo6fun; 06-21-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:34 PM
gbecton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

y2kmrc5
http://www.americanlemans.com/home/index.aspx

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6R 1-2 GT1 @ 24 hours of Leman