Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Dave Hill...Why am I NOT pleasantly surprized??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Dave Hill...Why am I NOT pleasantly surprized??

I'm not happy about the base price...My target was $65k out the door with the base stuff and some wheels.

Well I will wait for the pleasant surprize for awhile longer before cancelling my order. Maybe some C5 owner rebates, Employee discounts or something.

Dave, you see there are a lot of other costs to buying a car other than the base price. You add on $800 for delivery (even though I would pay the $490 to go get it at the factory) and about $4500 in taxes and things start to add up fast (without thinking about that 2nd set of track tires)

I guess I'm keeping the C5 for another year...Then look for a discounted Z after the frenzy has died down (in about 6 months)
Old 06-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave Hill, how dare you not go out of your way to satisfy the wishes of one person!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Boomer 2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
I'm not happy about the base price...My target was $65k out the door with the base stuff and some wheels.

Well I will wait for the pleasant surprize for awhile longer before cancelling my order. Maybe some C5 owner rebates, Employee discounts or something.

Dave, you see there are a lot of other costs to buying a car other than the base price. You add on $800 for delivery (even though I would pay the $490 to go get it at the factory) and about $4500 in taxes and things start to add up fast (without thinking about that 2nd set of track tires)

I guess I'm keeping the C5 for another year...Then look for a discounted Z after the frenzy has died down (in about 6 months)
Nothing personal, but what this car is worth, and what you can afford are two entirely different matters. Just because some people on this forum can't afford the new Z 06 does not mean it is not a great value.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:21 PM
427 C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lazerwolfe
Dave Hill, how dare you not go out of your way to satisfy the wishes of one person!
If you REALLY think this guy is the only person in the world who wanted/expected/demanded that the price be under $65k in order to buy,
then you are an idiot.

I don't believe that you are that stupid,
I just think you are just being rude and sarcastic and must have more money then sense.

So, do you think I am the only guy who wants a targa option for the new ZO6 ?????

Come to think of it,
I think you and Dave Hill would get along just fine.

I not only think Hill is an *** for not giving us a targa option.....
now I think his crew over priced the Z as well.

Oh,
and to all of you SNOBS out there that like to try and put people down..
I can afford to buy ANY car I want except the halo Ferrari and Porsche.
At the same time, I REFUSE to pay more than 10k over the coupe for the Z.
It's not worth it.

Last edited by 427 C5; 06-13-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:22 PM
wahoo99
Advanced

true but a rational person wouldn't pay 70k for a Chevy with crummy service either..it goes both ways.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:29 PM
BIG99
Racer

Originally Posted by wahoo99
true but a rational person wouldn't pay 70k for a Chevy with crummy service either..it goes both ways.
True, regardless of whether you can afford it or not, I didn't trust the burnouts at my dealership with my C5 let alone a car that would cost me $70k.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

That new Z is going to look really good in the service bay right next to the Cavalier...
Old 06-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Boomer 2
Nothing personal, but what this car is worth, and what you can afford are two entirely different matters. Just because some people on this forum can't afford the new Z 06 does not mean it is not a great value.

Nothing personal taken boomer2, as you would not have a clue as to what I can afford, now would you?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:43 PM
BIG99
Racer

This is really sad. I used to be such a hard core GM/Corvette guy, I have become sooo disgruntled lately. I was hoping for an entry price in the high 50s and out the door in the 60s. For me, this is just another dissapointing event in a long chain of dissapointing events.

I will be very curious to see the volume and prices of the Z over the next few years.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:51 PM
OUSchitzo
Advanced

I am not suprised with the pricing of the Z. I am not in the market, but when looking at it for performance per dollar, it is a deal. What I hear on the boards from those who are dissapointed is not about the performance of the car, it is about what? Up until the C6 I could not stand the corvette, I have driven several C6's and I am screwed. I see them everyday around where I work and it sucks....for now. This is the first corvette that I will own. Overall, I think it is a move in the right direction if GM wants a car that is truely respected around the world and at all levels.

Not trying to offend, just my observation.

Last edited by OUSchitzo; 06-13-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Jeo
Racer

Originally Posted by 427 C5
I not only think Hill is an *** for not giving us a targa option.....
now I think his crew over priced the Z as well.

Oh,
and to all of you SNOBS out there that like to try and put people down..
little hypocritical dont you think?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:08 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OUSchitzo
I am not suprised with the pricing of the Z. I am not in the market, but when looking at it for performance per dollar, it is a deal. What I hear on the boards from those who are dissapointed is not about the performance of the car, it is about what? Up until the C6 I could not stand the corvette, I have driven several C6's and I am screwed. I see them everyday around where I work and it sucks....for now. This is the first corvette that I will own. Overall, I think it is a move in the right direction if GM wants a car that is truely respected around the world and at all levels.

Not trying to offend, just my observation.
It's not about affording the car, but about justifying spending the amount on a car that had (C5) a lot of major problems with it, spent a lot of time in warranty repair, have tech's that don't want to work on the car, and your treated like dirt at the dealer.

It would be different if they would just service the Vettes with the Caddy's, they're built next to each other aren't they?

I'm sure that the new Z06 has all the engineering issues taken care of and it is a heck of a car...on paper.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:09 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Somebody call the waaaaaahmbulance.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:10 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

PS. More z06's for the rest of us fans.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:16 AM
ajindfw
Racer

Hey guys- I'm sorry to say this and I mean absolutely NO OFFENSE TO ANYBODY. The disappointment in C6Z pricing is due to three primary factors. . .

1. The new C6Z is out of some folks' financial league. This is a sad reality. Fact is, it is impossible to build a car that competes with both Porsche and Saturn. If the MSRP being $5-7K over what you expected makes the car unaffordable, then you couldn't afford it at $58K in spite of what you may have thought. Progress is progress, and it costs what it costs. I'm sorry if progress left you behind, but you can control your financial future and create a life wherein a C6Z is cheap to you in ten years or less. If you choose not to, it is not the fault of GM or someone who can afford the car.

2. Some refuse to pay $65K+ for a Chevy. Then screw it, buy an F430, car snob. BTW wanna race for pinks?

3. "I've been driving Corvettes my whole life and this price is bullsh*t". Answer: If you're loyal to the brand, then you'll support its growth.

The C6Z will perform with the best at lesser cost. Sure, GM needs to consider making the Corvette more "worth" its premium, but it still is a steal. For those of you that think Porsche or Ferrari ownership justifies the extra cost, rest assured that it is merely a matter of opinion. I like the way Porsche treats me, but for $70K and the performance of the C6Z, I can forgive a whole lotta idiocy.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:17 AM
kutlow
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

if you cant afford the z , dave hill gave us a coupe and vert....i think its a great deal considering the viper is 20 grand more
Old 06-14-2005, 12:40 AM
Kevin93
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer 2

It wouldn't be the smartest thing for me to spend all my money on even a regular C6 let alone a Z, but that doesn't mean it's not an awesome value. A lot of people out there wish they could afford Mustangs... that doesn't make them a rip off

Dave Hill - thanks. You've delivered a car with far better than Viper performance at an over $20,000 discount, a 150-hp advantage over the 911S for the same price than a Boxster S with a few options, and an infinitely better car than the 1995 ZR1 for less money... even ignoring 11 years of inflation. I hope I can afford one some day.

Get notified of new replies

To Dave Hill...Why am I NOT pleasantly surprized??

Old 06-14-2005, 01:01 AM
LS6v
Racer

Originally Posted by wahoo99
I won't be taking my Z to the Chevy store for service, so that takes a lot of the worry out of purchasing a Corvette. Then again, every GM vehicle I've owned has been extremely reliable, and I'm sure the Z will be the same.

Of course there are Chevy dealers with excellent service and Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, and Mercedes dealerships with terrible service. Hopefully you have a quality dealership close by, like I do.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:09 AM
terrychopper
Advanced

Some people here are a joke! Why don't we bitch an complain to Ferrari for being so high too?

Some people want everything for nothing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we wonder why GM is in financial trouble. GM needs stop catering to that demographic.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:20 AM
C6 Enthusiast
Drifting

I'm sorry that you're not able to afford the Z06 right now.

Look at the positives - you don't risk buying a first year model, and you can possibly pick up a used one for a lot cheaper later on!

I always look at the glass as half full.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dave Hill...Why am I NOT pleasantly surprized??