Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:37 PM
MechEng
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Steering Wheel

Why is one side of the steering wheel (9 o'clock) thicker than the other side (3 o'clock)?

A good illustration can be seen here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...6/IMG_1999.jpg

I remember this point was brought up briefly when the pictures were first seen but I don't think an answer was ever given to this 'anomaly'.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:50 PM
corvette1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're leaving room for the paddle shift...
Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Might just be an optical illusion from photo angle. Go to closeup mode on wheel .... Lt looks flatter and wider than right ... but, not as much as seen in zoomed-out photo.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:43 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

It's thicker because the wheel in other GM cars has the radio, or whatever, buttons located there.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:03 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bernrex
Might just be an optical illusion from photo angle. Go to closeup mode on wheel .... Lt looks flatter and wider than right ... but, not as much as seen in zoomed-out photo.

I sat in two of them in BG, and encircled the spokes between my thumb and index finger. The left spoke is definitely thicker. Other cars with stereo/ cruise buttons have more buttons on the left than the right spoke. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:11 PM
grr
Instructor

Better wheel strength and less flex while shifting. I like it. The stronger the better because I really put a lot of pressure on the wheel in that area when drag racing.

My older muscle cars with those big steering wheels is where you really noticed the flex especially the 65 GTO and 67 L71 Coupe.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:15 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by grr
Better wheel strength and less flex while shifting. I like it. The stronger the better because I really put a lot of pressure on the wheel in that area when drag racing.
The difference in spoke size is just enough to be annoying. I can't imagine there being a significant difference in rigidity of the wheel. GM was just too cheap to tool up a nice 3 spoke wheel for their premier car. This was mentioned to Dave Hill by a friend of mine, and he actually denied that the wheel was asymmetrical. Sigh.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:48 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

It has been confirmed for some time now that the spokes are asymmetrical. I don't understand why GM wouldn't have just sprung for a new wheel that is specific to the C6 and C6Z.
I am in love with the car, but the noticeable asymmetry in the spokes is a bit odd. It was like someone at GM said, "Hey, people are complaining about the doughboy of a steering wheel we put on the '05 C6, so we need something new for '06. Wait, we can just take this one, remove the stereo/cruise buttons, and voila! All new!".
I do like the fact that its diameter is less than the doughboy wheel, but how about some symmetrical spokes GM!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by greenshirt77
I don't understand why GM wouldn't have just sprung for a new wheel that is specific to the C6 and C6Z.
Isn't it obvious, cost is a factor. GM didn't want to reinvent the wheel.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:27 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shylor
Isn't it obvious, cost is a factor. GM didn't want to reinvent the wheel.
What's less obvious is why GM would've invented a lopsided wheel in the first place.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:32 PM
Patrick McDaniel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
What's less obvious is why GM would've invented a lopsided wheel in the first place.
If the worst thing on the car is the steering wheel I will be very happy.That's like Paris Hilton ringing your doorbell wearing whipped cream and complaining about her shoes!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:43 PM
teabagger
Instructor

Default Wheels

I'll be replacing mine w/ a quick-release unit that 86's the airbag & all factory electronics...anyone know a good place to sell essentially the entire interior, save for the dash....for now?

JM
Old 05-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
As indicated above--the large 'fork' on the left is used for various buttons on other cars--I truly understand the development cost factors and the need to share parts between cars to spread development costs (how much of the C6 is really Cadillac or vice versa)...and would understand its use on the 'plain jane' (if you can call it that) C6.

But my God---this is the Z06..they are putting this car up against the likes of Turbo Prosche's, Ferraris, Vipers, and the Ford GT....This is one shortcut that is just wrong and why it will stay a 'cheby' in the minds of many to be looked down up (ask yourself honestly-would Ford do this to the GT, Ferrari, Prosche, even DC with the Viper--my god, this is GM's halo car and they still do not have a clue)....they spent how much to come up with a titantium exhaust, thinner windshield glass, etc on the C5 Z06 and yet they cannot comeup with a proper steering wheel for their new 'super car'....this is the kind of crap that mag writers are going to notice...and so will the competition in their 'attitiude' towards the new Z06 and if it really measures up to the 'others'....poor choice in cost cutting GM---

Now, I'm making the assumption that the large left spoke in not necessary for structural integrity of the steering wheel and that the cost of redevelopment and retesting of the same wheel with the same size spokes on both sides is significantly cheaper then going about a total redesign with new center hub airbag issues etc..but only god knows what Fed airbag regulations exist and what hoops and testing expenses they would have to go through by changing the one spoke to be equal in size with its opposite....oh well, an aftermarket option I suspect....or more likely a year 2 change after GM takes flack for being penney stupid in the press over this.

Mag reviewers are going to see and feel this 'cheapness' and comment big time......Chevy tries to build a supercar...and yet this is what they do..........and folks wonder why Corvettes often do not get the 'respect' that the other 'super cars' get.....image baby, image and GM don't get it. What the heck--time now to email all the big mags and bring this to their attention to insure it is written about and then corrected in year 2..sorry just bought the 04 Z 6 months ago...the new 06 is too new for me...gotta wait another year...so please point out defects guys..want them corrected for my 07....I just love early adopters...they make 'my' cars soo much better....

David
04 Z06 Silver blk/red
04 Mach 1

Last edited by Z06LUST; 05-23-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:59 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 04retro
As indicated above--the large 'fork' on the left is used for various buttons on other cars--I truly understand the development cost factors and the need to share parts between cars to spread development costs (how much of the C6 is really Cadillac or vice versa)...and would understand its use on the 'plain jane' (if you can call it that) C6.

But my God---this is the Z06..they are putting this car up against the likes of Turbo Prosche's, Ferraris, Vipers, and the Ford GT....This is one shortcut that is just wrong and why it will stay a 'cheby' in the minds of many to be looked down up (ask yourself honestly-would Ford do this to the GT, Ferrari, Prosche, even DC with the Viper--my god, this is GM's halo car and they still do not have a clue)....they spent how much to come up with a titantium exhaust, thinner windshield glass, etc on the C5 Z06 and yet they cannot comeup with a proper steering wheel for their new 'super car'....this is the kind of crap that mag writers are going to notice...and so will the competition in their 'attitiude' towards the new Z06 and if it really measures up to the 'others'....poor choice in cost cutting GM---

Now, I'm making the assumption that the large left spoke in not necessary for structural integrity of the steering wheel and that the cost of redevelopment and retesting of the same wheel with the same size spokes on both sides is significantly cheaper then going about a total redesign with new center hub airbag issues etc..but only god knows what Fed airbag regulations exist and what hoops and testing expenses they would have to go through by changing the one spoke to be equal in size with its opposite....oh well, an aftermarket option I suspect....or more likely a year 2 change after GM takes flack for being penney stupid in the press over this.

Mag reviewers are going to see and feel this 'cheapness' and comment big time......Chevy tries to build a supercar...and yet this is what they do..........and folks wonder why Corvettes often do not get the 'respect' that the other 'super cars' get.....image baby, image and GM don't get it. What the heck--time now to email all the big mags and bring this to their attention to insure it is written about and then corrected in year 2..sorry just bought the 04 Z 6 months ago...the new 06 is too new for me...gotta wait another year...so please point out defects guys..want them corrected for my 07....I just love early adopters...they make 'my' cars soo much better....

David
04 Z06 Silver blk/red
04 Mach 1

I agree, the more I think about this the more it makes me shake my head. Now would I be willing to have the car cost a $1000 more because GM had to go through a new design process? No, but an explanation from them would be nice.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:25 AM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by CPT Z06
It's thicker because the wheel in other GM cars has the radio, or whatever, buttons located there.

augydog
Old 05-24-2005, 12:37 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Steering wheel on 05 C-6 is just to thick and hurts my hands.

I wish I could switch to another steering wheel but there is the AIRBAG.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:11 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patrick McDaniel
If the worst thing on the car is the steering wheel I will be very happy.
Are you forgetting the regular C6's steering wheel?

Get notified of new replies

To New Steering Wheel

Old 05-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Here is another look at the steering wheel and Z06.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80502
Old 05-24-2005, 08:52 AM
fgordon
Racer

Jeez Guys! We complain about the expected $75k price and the "Dis" the "Z" because its cosmetics do not compare well with cars costing $25-200k more. Some smart guy once said "You can't have your cake and eat it too".
Old 05-24-2005, 11:13 AM
barondw
Pro

Originally Posted by fgordon
Jeez Guys! We complain about the expected $75k price and the "Dis" the "Z" because its cosmetics do not compare well with cars costing $25-200k more. Some smart guy once said "You can't have your cake and eat it too".

It also does not compare with the Audis, Nissan 350Z, Miata, Honda 200 as to build quality and quality of interior componenets. Try to be a bit mroe objective and don't denfend the Vette just because its a Vette. That is why the Vette gets rapped by magazines, because its true its cheap inside.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Steering Wheel