C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Z-51 or Not??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 10:44 AM
ss409cid
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To Z-51 or Not??

I am contemplating a C-6 order. I will use the car as a Sunny Day driver. I dont drive real fast, and I wont race the car. Do I need or want the Z-51 option? Im told it makes the car stick to the road alot better, but it rides real rough. Your input appreciated....Larry
Old 01-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Steve_Macchia
Instructor

I have the Z-51. My first vette. I don't think it rides too hard. I like the other extra's too. Extra sticky tires, Oil coolers, and the cross drilled bigger rotors look cool IMO.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:56 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want great handling, then you want the Z51 package. I use my C6 all over San Antonio, where the roads really suck! The ride is firm, but definitely NOT "real rough". Based on what you want, it's a no-brainer..
Old 01-19-2005, 10:59 AM
UBETRUN
Pro

It certainly does not ride rough, the car is glued to the road but it's not harsh at all. Mine is a daily driver of almost 100 miles RT and I haven't spilled my coffee yet.

The Z51 package is pretty cheap compared to adding the components yourself and you'll get most of your money back out of it when you're done.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Violet
Le Mans Master

"real rough" is subjective... and i don't agree. BUT... giving your usage that you outlined, i would say the base car or the magnetic selctive ride control would be better "options" for you.

just FYI... the Z51 (if you care) is MUCH more than "just" an upgraded suspension. it includes:

upgraded shocks/springs.
upgraded thicker, crossdrilled brake rotors.
oil/powersteering and (on the auto) transmission fluid coolers.
upgraded goodyear supercar tires w/asymetrical tread pattern.
revised gearing in the 6-speed manual for better accelleration and higher top speed.
"performance rear axle ratio" (3.15:1 z51 vs. 2.73:1 stock) for auto trans cars.

i think that's everything. as an aside, we have the z51 and love it. but you may, or may not, want to spend the extra cash on the option.

save the wave!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:00 AM
natejohn
Burning Brakes

Well I can't hep very much as I have the F55 and haven't ridden in a "51" car. However, if you DO go the "base" suspension route or the F55 - install the Z51 sway bars!
They are an amazing "addition" to the road holding of the F55/base C6.
I would urge EVERYONE here to do it!
It has had very, very little effect on the ride of my F55, if at all; but the cornering "power" has gone up dramatically.
IMHO these bars should be stock on EVERY C6!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:06 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was faced with a similar situation and question prior to experiencing both the base and Z51 suspensions over smooth and very bumpy roads.

The Z51 was the hands down winner as it offered nearly the same bump absorbing ability of the base suspension with no float and impressively flat cornering capabilities. Combine that with a value-packed performance package and, even with the downside for the non high performance driving minded of the big buck low mileage life tires, the choice becomes easy.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:28 AM
7 OUT
Racer

There have been several posts in the past with oil temps reported that are considerably higher than what I have experienced. I just realized, duh, that it must be the oil cooler on my Z51 doing it's job. Once warmed up, my oil temp stays very steady at 214 plus or minus 2 degrees. I have heard people mentioning numbers like 228 (I think LSWON did yesterday). I have never seen my oil temp go above 216. I don't know if this will have a long term impact on the life of the engine but I would have to think that having a nice, steady temp of 214 has got to be better than having the oil temp fluctuating, possibly to high levels. Out of curiosity, has anyone had a really high oil temp reading on their non-Z51? Does anyone have an opinion on high temps and engine life? We know what it will do to non-synthetic oil.

Dana
Old 01-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by natejohn
Well I can't hep very much as I have the F55 and haven't ridden in a "51" car. However, if you DO go the "base" suspension route or the F55 - install the Z51 sway bars!
They are an amazing "addition" to the road holding of the F55/base C6.
I would urge EVERYONE here to do it!
It has had very, very little effect on the ride of my F55, if at all; but the cornering "power" has gone up dramatically.
IMHO these bars should be stock on EVERY C6!
how did you get this done ?

-zig
Old 01-19-2005, 11:50 AM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

My c5 did not have z51 and I think it rode fine. My new c6 has the z51 and I find it to be a "tighter" feel, not really harsh, but I can tell the difference. If you can, drive both, I think it will be mostly personal feel. I drive about 60 miles round trip a day and it does not bother me, but it is mostly interstate highway driving. Local roads show the biggest difference. It does stick like glue though.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Jakkal
Advanced

imho - the z51 option is very cheap,works well,and you may want to consider resale value, and what you bought-a sports car - if you buy a sports car don't limit its 'sport' capabilities
Old 01-19-2005, 11:58 AM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by 7 OUT
There have been several posts in the past with oil temps reported that are considerably higher than what I have experienced. I just realized, duh, that it must be the oil cooler on my Z51 doing it's job. Once warmed up, my oil temp stays very steady at 214 plus or minus 2 degrees. I have heard people mentioning numbers like 228 (I think LSWON did yesterday). I have never seen my oil temp go above 216. I don't know if this will have a long term impact on the life of the engine but I would have to think that having a nice, steady temp of 214 has got to be better than having the oil temp fluctuating, possibly to high levels. Out of curiosity, has anyone had a really high oil temp reading on their non-Z51? Does anyone have an opinion on high temps and engine life? We know what it will do to non-synthetic oil.

Dana
I have the F55 and I have seen oil temps of 224 or so. That was with around town driving. Usually runs 216 or so on Interstate at about 75 MPH. I have not tracked the car, nor have I been "on it hard" for any length of time. This is when I think I would see oil temps really rise. I have been told that with the synthetic oil, temps of 260 are not unreasonable, but I don't know. There will be a point at which the oil will break down. I assume that the higher temps will be avoided with your oil cooler.
Jim
Old 01-19-2005, 12:01 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Pros - Extra cooling for trans, power steering, Cooling system and larger rotors for shorter stopping!

Cons - Firmer ride (notice bumps more), EXPENSIVE TIRES which wear faster than non-Z51 Package.

Note: I ordered the Z51 package and use the car as a daily driver, glad I did!! But that is my opinion!

No matter what you get it is a great car!!! Enjoy!!
Old 01-19-2005, 12:36 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

The other thing that should be considered is the fact that not one person who has the Z51 package has regretted that choice. There have been comments about the tendency of the Z51 high performance brakes to squeak, and the Supercar tires don't do well in cold weather, but these are minor in comparison to the overall value and performance of the package.

I really wasn't sure about the Z51 when I ordered my car but, after three months of driving, I'm glad I have it.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:43 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default I heard my name mentioned???

Originally Posted by 7 OUT

Dana
Old 01-19-2005, 01:51 PM
sscamaro
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07

Take a test drive in one with and without Z51. That way you will be able to tell which one you like. I have the Z51 and it is not too bad.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default F-55 for me because the roads here are the worst

That is why I wanted the smoothest ride I could get in a Corvette. Was considering Z-51 at one point (good value buy) then base but decided that F-55 is best of both worlds. Your use of the Corvette should help you decide. The Z-51 is for track and driving it hard. The Z-51 tires wear faster than the base tires on a Corvette. For me I don't anticipate hanging curves & corners or freeway exits at 80MPH because the regular tires that come with Corvette wear out fast as it is and if you drive harder that is that much sooner you will fork out 400 per tire. The F-55 will help cushion those bumps and potholes that I have to live with depends on your area, condition of roads etc. F-55 does a good job of keeping on wheels on the ground a real time dampening system that works for your safety.

Get notified of new replies

To To Z-51 or Not??

Old 01-19-2005, 02:00 PM
AgCyberSurfer
Heel & Toe

I don't think my Z51 pkg. is a very rough ride and boy does it handle like a slot car to compensate. The only place ,so far, that it gives me a headache is on long stretches of MI raised freeway expansion strip driving. Even then, the car's suspension doesn't tranfer the motion into the cockpit and no part of the car rattles,etc.. Myself, I wouldn't be without it.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:16 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default When I have F-55 on "Tour" mode I can feel the dampening

of the pavement and signal markers. Switching over to "Sport" I definitely feel more bumps.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:25 PM
seymour
Instructor

In terms of the exterior of the car - does the Z51 make the car look any diferent than the base?

Quick Reply: To Z-51 or Not??