C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 questions/ ideas for convo

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 08:55 PM
422 NES
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 questions/ ideas for convo

Kudos to the makers of this site. I'm tired of searching google for answers to questions concerned my car. This site seems to have it all.

1) Someone please assuage my feelings of jealousy for the owner of the blue stickshift vette posted in the gallary. That is an exceptionally beautiful car! Now that more vettes are hitting the streets, I'm losing satisfaction of being among the first C6 owners. I fell in love with and settled for an A4 precision red C6 in late September. The dealership could have traded for m6's of different colors. Now, that blue!!!! I have read the string of posts concerning auto vs. stick and it seems that most owners of the m6 view the a4s as not being true sports cars. I have to agree with that to some extent and have been almost literally sick to my stomach for the past two days concerning this. Please someone tell me i'm being a spoiled brat about not being completely satisfied with my C6 as it is. Being cantankerously demanding about minor details seems to be a common, commendable quality amoung corvette afficionados. The novelty of the NAV system has worn away a bit and I now wish i could use that extra hand and foot to be more actively participant in the C6 driving experience (hehe). I'm almost tired of the cocky, flashy appeal of the red. (I must admit I do enjoy the attention still and readily have a generic recital of the car's specs to appease the ubiquitous supply of gazers in parking lots). I saw where one of you traded in your C6 with 10K miles - REMARKABLE! Mine has 6k, any ideas on how to get that blue stick??
2) I would like to see more posts about driving experiences for us to all vicariously enjoy. For example, I found it particulary amusing that someone almost recked their inferior sports car in Telluga sp? Canyon trying to play with the C6. My personal favorite is racing an insanely gorgeous ferrari on an intersate. The whole experience lasted five minutes but it still brings warm feelings of satisfaction 2-3 months later. I never passed him, but the driver must have been upset to have me stay on his tail in a sports car a third of the price of his. Also, I loved the way the C6 passed a camaro SS from 135 once the right lane cleared. I slowed down later to continue playing, but i think he had suddenly gotten too shy for the C6 Also, has anyone actually maxed out theirs? I've gotten mine to 175 (a knee-knocking experience, I'll admit) but am choosing to keep the extra ten for a source of wonder. The ULTIMATE story i'd like to hear is if anyone has outrun the po-po. Hats off to you!!!
3) In new wonder of the corvette enthusiasts psyche, how do you all feel about owning foreign sports cars? Do you not agree that ferraris, for example, are superior sports cars or do you all refuse to buy such cars due to issues of americanism? finance? I am certainly not able to afford one at this point, but I would nonetheless like to see how you all feel about it.
4) I have seen posts concerning radar detectors. Please, let's get a definitive answer as to which ones are best. If most of you are like me, this is a prime concern and i'm really wondering why my number hasn't come up already. I'm actually ashamed that the first speeding ticket in my car was not mine (cousin on a test drive two miles from home over the holidays). I've avoided one by... (well, i'm not for sure how!)
5) Also, I would like to hear about or be directed to sites concerning pertinent laws for each state - the SEern ones in my case. For example, in which states are radar detectors legal. Next, what about firearm possession. I've found that in the murder capital of the US (Jackson, MS), a Glock .45 (#30) fits is nice to have fit neatly in the console.
6) Is anyone waiting for the Z06? I bet you're excited! Hurry up and share pics and stories with us.
7) I've never personally owned or even driven a superior sports car. How does the driving experience of the C6 compare to other notable cars you've driven (vipers? mustang GT/Cobra/SALEEN!?!?, ferrari?, etc. Also, am i missing much by not having the Z51?
8) Why was I lied to about the MP3 playing capabilities of my car?
9) It would be fun to see a thread where everone lists the top five likes and dislikes of their C6's.
10) Please some of you hurry up and modify your cars. It would make for interesting pics. An owner of a victory red 2000 C5 parked next to me at a coffee shop this week. He had just installed black rims and Z06 non-runflat tires. Wow, it looked surprisingly good with the v.red. What do all think about black rims with precision red. Once again, black rims on that blue one ---- oh, my stomach hurts. He was hard-nosed about changing from our stiff walled tires. Opinions?

Sorry if any of this has already been discussed. Please disregard/ignore any redundancies.

Patrick Kirkland
pkirkland@som.umsmed.edu
Old 01-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Patrick, I'm a relative newcomer to the forum, but I've owned 4 vettes and I will attempt to give you my take on your questions.
1. I had a Precision Red C6 with 6-spd tranny for about 3 months, but personal situations caused me to swap it for a Silver coupe with auto. tranny. Sure wish I could have kept the PR. You gotta go with what you really want, if you can.
2. Driving posts are okay, but street racing stories are prohibited.
3. Most vette owners don't seem to mind folks owning foreign sports cars, long as it doesn't mean disparaging vettes.
4. Valentine seems to be the most popular radar detector in this section of the forum. Don't have one and don't know the exact specs or current model name/no.
5. Not sure any one person can help you with much of this one, especially the laws about firearms. Quite a few vette owners refuse to run a front plate, even in states where it's the law (I know this wasn't actually one of your questions).
6. Several are waiting on the Z06. Supposedly they will make about 4,000 to 6,000 of them, but we don't really know when the first ones will hit the street or the price.
7. Can't answer this one. Vettes are the only sports car I've ever owned.
8. Don't know why GM's literature wasn't more consistent about the MP3. This forum has known about the lack of MP3 with Nav almost since the middle of the summer. Dealers were just in the dark, for some reason.
9. One or more threads on this subject have already been done.
10. Probably won't make many mods to mine. But I insist on keeping my runflats. Changing a tire on the side of the road was big job for me the last 3 times I did it and I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore, or about being stranded (in the case of the vette) on the side of the road. There will be dozens of threads in the next few months about mods. There are already several.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:20 PM
AA2PR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question # 5

Originally Posted by 422 NES
Kudos to the makers of this site. I'm tired of searching google for answers to questions concerned my car. This site seems to have it all.

1) Someone please assuage my feelings of jealousy for the owner of the blue stickshift vette posted in the gallary. That is an exceptionally beautiful car! Now that more vettes are hitting the streets, I'm losing satisfaction of being among the first C6 owners. I fell in love with and settled for an A4 precision red C6 in late September. The dealership could have traded for m6's of different colors. Now, that blue!!!! I have read the string of posts concerning auto vs. stick and it seems that most owners of the m6 view the a4s as not being true sports cars. I have to agree with that to some extent and have been almost literally sick to my stomach for the past two days concerning this. Please someone tell me i'm being a spoiled brat about not being completely satisfied with my C6 as it is. Being cantankerously demanding about minor details seems to be a common, commendable quality amoung corvette afficionados. The novelty of the NAV system has worn away a bit and I now wish i could use that extra hand and foot to be more actively participant in the C6 driving experience (hehe). I'm almost tired of the cocky, flashy appeal of the red. (I must admit I do enjoy the attention still and readily have a generic recital of the car's specs to appease the ubiquitous supply of gazers in parking lots). I saw where one of you traded in your C6 with 10K miles - REMARKABLE! Mine has 6k, any ideas on how to get that blue stick??
2) I would like to see more posts about driving experiences for us to all vicariously enjoy. For example, I found it particulary amusing that someone almost recked their inferior sports car in Telluga sp? Canyon trying to play with the C6. My personal favorite is racing an insanely gorgeous ferrari on an intersate. The whole experience lasted five minutes but it still brings warm feelings of satisfaction 2-3 months later. I never passed him, but the driver must have been upset to have me stay on his tail in a sports car a third of the price of his. Also, I loved the way the C6 passed a camaro SS from 135 once the right lane cleared. I slowed down later to continue playing, but i think he had suddenly gotten too shy for the C6 Also, has anyone actually maxed out theirs? I've gotten mine to 175 (a knee-knocking experience, I'll admit) but am choosing to keep the extra ten for a source of wonder. The ULTIMATE story i'd like to hear is if anyone has outrun the po-po. Hats off to you!!!
3) In new wonder of the corvette enthusiasts psyche, how do you all feel about owning foreign sports cars? Do you not agree that ferraris, for example, are superior sports cars or do you all refuse to buy such cars due to issues of americanism? finance? I am certainly not able to afford one at this point, but I would nonetheless like to see how you all feel about it.
4) I have seen posts concerning radar detectors. Please, let's get a definitive answer as to which ones are best. If most of you are like me, this is a prime concern and i'm really wondering why my number hasn't come up already. I'm actually ashamed that the first speeding ticket in my car was not mine (cousin on a test drive two miles from home over the holidays). I've avoided one by... (well, i'm not for sure how!)
5) Also, I would like to hear about or be directed to sites concerning pertinent laws for each state - the SEern ones in my case. For example, in which states are radar detectors legal. Next, what about firearm possession. I've found that in the murder capital of the US (Jackson, MS), a Glock .45 (#30) fits is nice to have fit neatly in the console.
6) Is anyone waiting for the Z06? I bet you're excited! Hurry up and share pics and stories with us.
7) I've never personally owned or even driven a superior sports car. How does the driving experience of the C6 compare to other notable cars you've driven (vipers? mustang GT/Cobra/SALEEN!?!?, ferrari?, etc. Also, am i missing much by not having the Z51?
8) Why was I lied to about the MP3 playing capabilities of my car?
9) It would be fun to see a thread where everone lists the top five likes and dislikes of their C6's.
10) Please some of you hurry up and modify your cars. It would make for interesting pics. An owner of a victory red 2000 C5 parked next to me at a coffee shop this week. He had just installed black rims and Z06 non-runflat tires. Wow, it looked surprisingly good with the v.red. What do all think about black rims with precision red. Once again, black rims on that blue one ---- oh, my stomach hurts. He was hard-nosed about changing from our stiff walled tires. Opinions?

Sorry if any of this has already been discussed. Please disregard/ignore any redundancies.

Patrick Kirkland
pkirkland@som.umsmed.edu
MODS ?? HERES ONE NO ONE HAS EVER DONE

Last edited by AA2PR; 01-12-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:44 PM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

[QUOTE=422 NES]

Next, what about firearm possession. I've found that in the murder capital of the US (Jackson, MS), a Glock .45 (#30) fits is nice to have fit neatly in the console.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx

We prefer a 27 .40
Old 01-12-2005, 09:48 PM
422 NES
Intermediate

Default Thanks to all

You have been exceptionally helpful. Like the lawnmower pic. Does it have the LS2? If so, i'm begging to mow your lawn.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:00 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... what about firearm possession. I've found that in the murder capital of the US (Jackson, MS), a Glock .45 (#30) fits is nice to have fit neatly in the console.
www.packing.org

Last edited by ProfMoriarty; 01-12-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:36 PM
AA2PR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Faster Than Any On Foot

You have been exceptionally helpful. Like the lawnmower pic. Does it have the LS2? If so, i'm begging to mow your lawn.
that gravely runs about 18 mph. and yes you can come cut these six acres anytime. One other thing HK 40 cal is the one. (waiting on flames ) 9mm too much penetration,you want to stop them dead,not punch holes clean through.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AA2PR
that gravely runs about 18 mph. and yes you can come cut these six acres anytime. One other thing HK 40 cal is the one. (waiting on flames ) 9mm too much penetration,you want to stop them dead,not punch holes clean through.
Almost any round (except a 25ACP or 22) will over-penetrate if a solid point bullet design is utilized; ie: hardball or solid round nosed lead.

The key to an efficient energy dump without overpenetration is expansion &/or fragmentation, not caliber.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:23 AM
422 NES
Intermediate

Default umm, vettes n guns: hand in hand?

think we're getting side-tracked, but i prefer the hydro shock .45. It's supposed to be able to penetrate glass before spreading and besides there are 10 more rounds to follow the first. The size of the bullet doesn't matter too much does it?? (KE = .5mv^2) if you don't refer to velocity. Of course the military vets probably have more insight into all this. Its depressing to have to carry the thing anyway. i just prefer the .45 to anything i've fired. More ballsy (aka: more 'vette)

Last edited by 422 NES; 01-13-2005 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:20 AM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty

Thanks Cool Site

Glock 27 .40 Golden Sabers "Don't Leave Home Without It"
Old 01-13-2005, 08:23 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

In the real world, a bullet with greater diameter (even if it's only .1") will cause a greater wound channel than a smaller one.

A faster moving bullet will cause a greater temporary wound cavity.

And a fragmenting or well-designed hollowpoint will transfer it's energy most efficiently.

Thus the endless, fast moving 9mm v. slower 45ACP debate rages on.

That said, shot placement remains the deciding factor, regardless of caliber, for serious social encounters.

BTW, for what it's worth, my choice is the Winchester Ranger 9mm 124 gr +P.

Anyway, "How 'bout them Vettes?"

Last edited by ProfMoriarty; 01-13-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

wasn't this fun

Get notified of new replies

To 10 questions/ ideas for convo

Quick Reply: 10 questions/ ideas for convo