C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one having a LOT of problem with the FOBs???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Am I the only one having a LOT of problem with the FOBs???

Man,

I sure would like to go back to a key. The new FOB forces the memory seat/steering wheel feature to be more tedious, and now - as often as not - the car doesn't seem to "see" my FOB.

I end up having to dig it out of my pocket and press the unlock button to get in the car and when I turn the car off it says "No FOB detected" and asks what I want to do. I have to wave the FOB around like a moron in the car while repeatedly depressing the off button.

I also noticed that the C6 Z06 dashboard, had the "Please put shifter in Reverse" message on the DIC. Even GM hasn't got it figured out!!!

Push button start is a gimmick that has actually greatly complicated entry, exit and starting/stopping the vehicle.

I wish it had been an option. I'd have a key and saved some money.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Tom, several people have reported problems with the FOB, but at least part of the time, an explanation was found. Sometimes it's multiple FOBS (for different vehicles) in the same pocket, at other times it's a cell phone nearby. There might be something wrong with the sensor in your car.

Although I wear a cell phone at my left waist & keep my FOB in my right pocket, I've only had a FOB problem one time.

EDIT: Since you have a 6-spd, you have to press the memory button to set your seat, etc. for driving position, but I got used to that in my 6-spd. I also had it programmed to unlock the doors at engine shutoff, so all I had to do after I put it in reverse was to open the door. Of course, if your FOB's presence is not recognized, you've got a problem!

Last edited by Vette_DD; 01-05-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more.
Luckily it's generally just a minor nuisance. After a few months with the car, the problems seem less apparent, and occur less often.
Remember that cell phones and other transmitting keys might interfere with your fob.
Also, try the other fob. Maybe yours is loco, or low on juice.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe
Tom, several people have reported problems with the FOB, but at least part of the time, an explanation was found. Sometimes it's multiple FOBS (for different vehicles) in the same pocket, at other times it's a cell phone nearby. There might be something wrong with the sensor in your car.

Although I wear a cell phone at my left waist & keep my FOB in my right pocket, I've only had a FOB problem one time.

Didn't look at your sig, do you have an auto or manual tranny?
I have a manual tranny. Interesting, I do keep both the phone and my Z06 FOB (which I would think isn't doing ANYTHING unless a button is pressed) close by (usually together in the cupholder). I'll try moving them away and see if it improves.

It is frustrating and a little embarassing to spend that much time trying to get out of your car!

Old 01-05-2005, 07:16 PM
MMartin
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

and the dealer says?
Old 01-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Man, this whole "keyless" thing seems like a neat idea, but hearing these problems makes me wonder.....we've been using KEYS to get into our cars and start them for years and years.....I dunno, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Man, this whole "keyless" thing seems like a neat idea, but hearing these problems makes me wonder.....we've been using KEYS to get into our cars and start them for years and years.....I dunno, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?
No, you don't get improvements that way. It is an improvement for me not to have to search for and dig out my keys when I've got something in my hands while going to or from the vette.

These problems are just growing pains and getting thousands of people used to new technology. A lot of the new owners tried to use the new technology without reading the manual. A small part of it was GM not giving us adequate warning about nearby cell phones & other FOBS.

Once you get used to it, it's no big deal.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:27 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are all kidding right? Just sounds like a dead or dying battery in the FOB-or the FOB has to be re-learned by the car if the battery was taken out of the FOB(this is a ROLLING CODE system-just like the New Genie Door Openers.) The message "Please put shifter in Reverse" is "seen" in the DIC by all manual shift C6's when you turn off the engine in any gear other than reverse and that is to "turn off" the electrical system(whatever that is supposed to mean, but that's what the manual states.) But what the hell, cars haven't been the same since they got rid of steam engines dagnabit! Keys, Please!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

No, you don't get improvements that way. It is an improvement for me not to have to search for and dig out my keys when I've got something in my hands while going to or from the vette.

These problems are just growing pains and getting thousands of people used to new technology. A lot of the new owners tried to use the new technology without reading the manual. A small part of it was GM not giving us adequate warning about nearby cell phones & other FOBS.

Once you get used to it, it's no big deal.

Change for the sake of change, isn't necessarlly an improvement. That's why "20-20 hindsight" was invented, so we can undo the "improvements".
Old 01-05-2005, 10:30 PM
H101
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two fobs in the same pocket does cause the "no fob..." message in my MN6.

The keyless thing is a pain until you get used to it, then it is kinda' cool. I do miss the memory recall when the key went into the ignition, but I like not fumbling with the fob or keys when opening the door.

So.... win a couple, lose a couple...
Old 01-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Oilpatch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I wouldn't trade the FOB for a key but I haven't had any problems. It's a very driver friendly system.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by H101
I do miss the memory recall when the key went into the ignition, but I like not fumbling with the fob or keys when opening the door. So.... win a couple, lose a couple...
It would be nice if the memory seat would close up automatically after you close the door, without having to turn to hit the memory recall button.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hoonose
It would be nice if the memory seat would close up automatically after you close the door, without having to turn to hit the memory recall button.
It will if you have the auto tranny and you start the car. Sometimes I get in the car to get something out of it or look at the owner's manual. I don't want my seat to move until I start the car (I've got the auto. tranny).
Old 01-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

It will if you have the auto tranny and you start the car. Sometimes I get in the car to get something out of it or look at the owner's manual. I don't want my seat to move until I start the car (I've got the auto. tranny).
Why not make it an option then?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Why not make it an option then?
You've got to make the driver do something if it's an option. I've already got the option. If I want the seat to move into driving position, I start the car OR I push the button (either one). If I don't want it to move, I do nothing.

But I understand what you're saying. You'd like to have the option to automatically move when you open the door. However, that would nullify your easy entry position.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:00 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Since Im tall and have the seat all the way back the easy entry doesnt really gain me anything so I set that to be the same as my memory 1 so that after my wife drives the car everything is right where its supposed to be. If your shorter and you can gain some advantage with the easy entry feature then this wont be for you. My key fob BTW has worked fine. I leave it in my pocket at all times. I walk up to the car and get in and push the button to start. When I exit I push the button again and get out. It locks itself and honks the horn to give me locking verifaction as I walk away. Seamless. The only thing I had to learn was that I used to leave my car in first or reverse, whichever one I used as I parked. Took a few days to get used to reverse only.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:39 AM
biggator6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so far, I love it and have had no problems with it.

only once did it do something wierd... kept beeping at me telling me that I was shutting the car with the fob still inside... couldn't figure out why.

then realized that my 2nd fob was in my laptop bag.. in the car.

duh.
"-)

Get notified of new replies

To Am I the only one having a LOT of problem with the FOBs???

Old 01-06-2005, 02:16 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a *huge* part of the problem. Other cars' keys shouldn't bother your car's key. Cell phones shouldn't interfere with starting your car. You shouldn't need a bloody instruction book to figure out how to start, stop, or leave a car to avoid running down its battery. Etc. While we should all applaud *better* technology, this isn't better, and I hope it doesn't become universal.

I have 5 cars and trucks here. For 4 of them I have ONE key ring, with 4 car keys and one house key. That's worked flawlessly for years. Now I also have to have a FOB, the emergency key, and a house key on a separate ring. I shudder to think what it would be like if all the cars had FOBs. I don't think I have enough pockets for that, and for damn sure sooner or later I'll have the wrong set with me when I'm in a hurry. That's why I had them all on the same ring in the first place.

The keyless entry system is convenient when it works, but IMHO the keyless start is pure gimmick. Even when it works, you wonder if it would also work for someone else (ie a car thief). And heaven help you if several years down the road it fails. The electronic parts to repair one will be obsolete, you won't be able to get them, and your car becomes an expensive lawn ornament.

Keys may be low tech, but any semi-trained hardware store clerk can make you a new one, or rekey a cylinder, even for an old car. They don't care about cell phones, they don't care about garage door remotes, they don't care about palm pilots or ipods, keys just work. They're compact enough you can carry several on the same ring, and they won't break if you drop them, run them through the washer, etc.

I don't like the bulk of the fob. I don't like the susceptability to interference of the fob. I don't like the fragility of the fob. Etc. Keys are better technology, even if they aren't "new". New isn't always better. Foolproof is better. Reliability and robustness are better. Simple is almost always better. Keys are simple, reliable, and robust. They are darn near foolproof. Nearly everyone can figure out how to operate a key without consulting a manual.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:15 AM
skfurr
Racer

Originally Posted by shopdog
Simple is almost always better.
I think that a lot of people put up with the techno-goodies because the Corvette falls into the "cool toy" category more-so than it does the "basic transportation" category.

Agreed, as transportation you want it to work everytime. As a toy, bring on the goodies! Everybody who opens the door for the first time or watches me start the car by pushing the button is awed. It's bling!

The STS we just ordered will have the same push-button start setup as the C6, with the same style FOBS. Except the STS also has a "remote start" button on the FOB to start the car and recall a unique "remote start" memory profile for the A/C and heated/cooled seats from up to 200' away.

Stephen
Old 01-06-2005, 03:21 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Keys might be simple but they work well, don't break (under most conditions) and everyone knows how to use them.

Fancy FOBs & keyless starting might be the latest/greatest but I don't think it will last the test of time. It will eventually just become another expensive thing to fix.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one having a LOT of problem with the FOBs???