C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added front plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 01:43 AM
7 OUT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added front plate bracket

I broke down and added the front plate bracket. I installed it as low as I could on the front fascia so that the top line of the bracket hit even with the top line of the fascia. Now that it's on, I'm not experiencing the horror episode. I know many of you can't bear to see the front plate attached but I don't think it looks that bad when it's installed even with the front line on the bumper. I've changed my Avatar to show it.

Dana
Old 01-03-2005, 04:16 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

I'm sorry it just doesn't look like it blends in very well. It's very intrusive on the front end flow of the C6.

At least the C4 and C5's blended into the nose.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:04 AM
AceVentura
Racer

7 Out Dana - can you post a larger picture?
Thanks!!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:37 AM
shopman1
Pro

There are still options to that GM mess:
See: http://www.baileymotorsports.com/
Old 01-03-2005, 08:40 AM
twolayz
Instructor

DANA,lose the plate,looks like someone with buck teeth
Old 01-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dana, that is the best looking solution thus far. even though i'm gonna hold out as long as possible.

-zig
Old 01-03-2005, 09:05 AM
C64BC
Pro

Originally Posted by Zig
dana, that is the best looking solution thus far. even though i'm gonna hold out as long as possible.

-zig
. I'm going to hold out as long as i can. If at some point i have to add it, i think the stock system looks best.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Man am I glad we don't have front plates
Old 01-03-2005, 10:19 AM
AceVentura
Racer

Default One more option

Here's one more option - anyone tried it??

http://zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_merchandise.htm
Old 01-03-2005, 10:29 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone has their own opinion of what looks best if you have to have one. I personally really dislike the option on the lower part of the bumper as it looks completely out of place and doesn't line up with anything. Looks kinda like you ran over a metal lunch box and it got stuck there by mistake. I think the stock location is best, but if your state has nothing but white space on the bottom of the plate, you could always trim it so that it doesn't protrude into the grille area. Below is what I did and shows how my plate looks. Only thing I did to the photo was smudge out the lettering on my personalized plate.

Mike
Old 01-03-2005, 10:42 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Mee Too

Originally Posted by C64BC
. I'm going to hold out as long as i can. If at some point i have to add it, i think the stock system looks best.
I keep mine mounted on the frame and the plate & frame behind the driver's seat incase I get stopped. I’ve attached a Krispy Kream doughnut to the plate as a bribe.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:46 AM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Shylor
I'm sorry it just doesn't look like it blends in very well. It's very intrusive on the front end flow of the C6.

BUT if you didn't need a front plate, that fugly cut and paste on the C5
was almost as bad
Old 01-03-2005, 10:48 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
Everyone has their own opinion of what looks best if you have to have one. I personally really dislike the option on the lower part of the bumper as it looks completely out of place and doesn't line up with anything. Looks kinda like you ran over a metal lunch box and it got stuck there by mistake. I think the stock location is best, but if your state has nothing but white space on the bottom of the plate, you could always trim it so that it doesn't protrude into the grille area. Below is what I did and shows how my plate looks. Only thing I did to the photo was smudge out the lettering on my personalized plate.

Mike

If you have to mount one yours looks great! Good job! I really
Old 01-03-2005, 04:30 PM
7 OUT
Racer

Mike

I'm with you Mike, I tried locating a place everywhere imaginable in the front. The only place that made sense in terms of looks is where it is intended to go. All of the lower positions looked way out of place to me not to mention that it blocked air flow to the engine. Once I installed my plate, I got used to it instantly and I think it looks just fine. I also enjoy displaying my customized plate DICE 7.

Dana, who is happy with his front plate.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:38 PM
shafman1
Racer

I live in Illinois and I have to have one also. Mine has the same mount. I think it looks fine. Obviously, it would be nice to not have to have one, but I can do without the ticket and the hassle. It could definitely look worse.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:53 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'17

Originally Posted by Shylor

Old 01-03-2005, 07:37 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

IMHO, you might as well put a big flag on your car that says, "Pull me over". Around here, you'll get stopped for the above faster than having no plate at all. You can do just about anything you want to a plate as long as you don't obstruct any of the lettering. The above is a recipe for being pulled over IMO. Since the plate is partially obstructed, they'll know it's not legal in a single glance. If you have no plate at all, they can't know it isn't legal until you pass by them and they also look at the back of your car. Many of them are too lazy to do that or don't want to fool with you once you've passed them.

Looks like a pretty big obstruction to the airway too.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Added front plate bracket

Old 01-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

I haven't seen anything thus far that makes the front plate look right on the C6. Obviously the best solution would be for those states that require a front plate to change their law. But since that isn't happening anytime soon, I wish GM would have just designed in a better way. If it has to be there...the C4, C5 system looked best.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:00 PM
vettejoel
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'17

IMHO, you might as well put a big flag on your car that says, "Pull me over". Around here, you'll get stopped for the above faster than having no plate at all. You can do just about anything you want to a plate as long as you don't obstruct any of the lettering. The above is a recipe for being pulled over IMO. Since the plate is partially obstructed, they'll know it's not legal in a single glance. If you have no plate at all, they can't know it isn't legal until you pass by them and they also look at the back of your car. Many of them are too lazy to do that or don't want to fool with you once you've passed them.

Looks like a pretty big obstruction to the airway too.

Mike
Actually, everybody thinks just the opposite. At least I am making an effort to have the front plate on. I have been head to head with cops at least 15 times at traffic lights and haven't had a problem yet. At least its not a total disreguard for the law. I went thru a check point this weekend with N.Y. state troopers and no problem there either. As far as being a big obstruction for air thats not the case either. That is what the front air dam is for, and their is still plenty of open space for air to flow on both sides of the plate. If you remember, the C5 got all its air from the bottom being that they have no open grill. So if I lost 2 or 3 horsepower so be it...no big deal
Old 01-03-2005, 10:39 PM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

Quick Reply: Added front plate bracket