C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dyno day for Mr Blu>>>

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:59 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default The dyno day for Mr Blu>>>

Well....on Wednesday it was dyno day for my car at Curry's Performance Car in Sterling Virginia. They do a lot of performance car set ups as well as working on race cars (my son works there as a peformance car tech and has his own Honda Challenge car that he built) and have a Mustang Eddy Current 4 wheel dyno...in my Audi TT mod days that was important

Air temp 51; humidity 60%

Dan is the dyno guru and has done more dyno setups than he can remember but this was his first C6...bit of a challenge since my C6 is lowered so placing the hold down straps was bit of a challenge...plus he is VERY careful about where to place and not to damage the car>>>

The Mustang dyno is the most conservative of the wheel reading dynos (DynoJet is more 'liberal' for example) so remember when reading results make sure you are comparing same types of dynos...

Anyway, the dyno is sync'd with the car...parasitic loss loaded into computer and then determining what gear to use...in this case 4th was the gear of choice (meaning for 1:1)

If you ever wondered what your C6 looks like doing 145 mph>>>

BTW... 3rd gear at ~6450 is 102 mph and 4th is 145 mph and the top speed (~185 mph) of the C6 is achieved in 5th gear. Dan never banged the rev limiter (doesn't like doing that...sorta a game with him about getting soooo close but never hit it) so all runs were backed off at ~6450 rpm

Results.. WOW the numbers are impressive. There were several AMG drivers, a GT3 driver, and several race car (M3) guys there watching and they were duly impressed... particularly the torque...at 1600 rpm the engine at the crank was putting out over 300 lbs torque and it kept climbing and climbing from there...max output (at crank) (in the case of my C6) was 407 lbs at 4400 rpm (factory says 400 at 4400) and hp was 400 on the button at 5800 rpm (factory spec is 400 at 6000 so there was a bit of an variance here ).

Power curve on this car is a beautiful sight to behold...every guy there just had a wow comment... all want to steal the torque curve for there cars and the track set up M3 drivers wanted to steal the Z51 brakes...could not believe these were OEM brakes from GM

I will scan in the print outs later and all I can say is I continue to be impressed with this my first Vette...absolutely can not say enough positive things about it!!!

What's next...the whole reason for the dyno test (beyond curiosity) was to get a base line so when the X pipe and Corsa Sport exhaust are installed (in about two weeks) back to the dyno to see what the numbers are...Dan has installed many a Corsa/X pipe on C5s and started to discuss what happens to the power curve on that car...I know I am looking forward to getting the performance exhaust installed based on what he was 'lecturing' (that's a good lecturing...knows his stuff) me about...
All was good that day...
Michael
Old 01-02-2005, 09:05 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm curious. You are posting "crank" hp numbers. How do they (or you) come up with the factors to gross this up from rear wheel horsepower? What was the rwhp before adjusting to crank?

Thanks for sharing
Old 01-02-2005, 09:12 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

When I post the scanned in print out will discuss crank vs wheel...but they know what formulas to use... they have set up race cars etc and run on dyno and then have pulled engines and run on engine dynos..so over a period of time have developed quite a 'data base' for extrapolating wheel to crank readings... BTW... crank readings are noted only to show what car output was relative to the advertised spec which is crank... I am only interested in the whp/torque when I am analyzing my cars...
M
Old 01-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
The Mustang dyno is the most conservative of the wheel reading dynos (DynoJet is more 'liberal' for example) .....
We know who uses "liberal" numbers, right Jim?

Great numbers. GM can build engines. Can't wait to see what the Z06 does on the same machine. Thanks for the report.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:56 AM
mallett435
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

What were the RWHP/RWTQ numbers?

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
When I post the scanned in print out will discuss crank vs wheel...but they know what formulas to use... they have set up race cars etc and run on dyno and then have pulled engines and run on engine dynos..so over a period of time have developed quite a 'data base' for extrapolating wheel to crank readings... BTW... crank readings are noted only to show what car output was relative to the advertised spec which is crank... I am only interested in the whp/torque when I am analyzing my cars...
M
Old 01-02-2005, 10:59 AM
racinghotroddave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Those are good numbers.but also would like to see rwhp/rwtq numbers.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:30 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep, dont care about crank numbers unless they came off an engine dyno and dont like the whole concept of converting rear wheel to crank. No insult intended to you, I did note you stated a preference for whp when analizing numbers.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds sweet
Old 01-03-2005, 12:37 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Nix Blu Pix

Michael, Appreciate the Pix. Any mods other than the Corsas?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:52 PM
SA734
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael I have the Corsa Sports on mine. I spoke to Corsa (Jim) and he said there is no X-pipe made by Corsa for the C6.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:13 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SA734
Michael I have the Corsa Sports on mine. I spoke to Corsa (Jim) and he said there is no X-pipe made by Corsa for the C6.
Correct..it is made by BB
M

Get notified of new replies

To The dyno day for Mr Blu>>>

Quick Reply: The dyno day for Mr Blu>>>