C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone purchase a Vette through AAFES?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 02:15 PM
98RaptorTA
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone purchase a Vette through AAFES?

Any military overseas ever buy a Vette through AAFES? Going to Germany in the summer and would like to buy it over there since I want to ship my truck there. Might buy from a board dealer and maybe courtesy deliever through AAFES? Is that even possible?

Thanks

Scott
Old 01-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Wcberry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I checked with the AAFES dealer in Bahrain last month. He said he could order one. But when it got down to it, he said he could only order an 06 when they were available. This was because he only could get an allocation of two 05s and he had already sold them.

So, I would say yes. But the allocation thing could be an issue depending on how many the dealer in Germany can get.

BTW, the price would have been great, selling well under MSRP.

Good Luck,
Wendell
Old 01-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Scott, we just finished a 3 year assignment in Aviano Italy. I was also looking at Vettes thru AAFES while stationed over there. The biggest problem I ran into is AAFES allocation...which isn't much. If you're able to get your name on the list with them (and it's short) you would not be guaranteed a car. Say you're number 7 on the list at you're AAFES car dealer, we'll if he only gets 6 cars this year, you're up a creek without a paddle. With that situation, the dealer in Aviano couldn't then guarantee that I'd be first on the next list either...kinda a raw deal.

I can't recall the sales tax issue either. I think you pay no tax, but when you later import the car to the US, you will pay some $$ then. Not sure. AAFES price for the Vette was MSRP.

I also didn't want AAFES or whoever loading and unloading my new Vette for transport overseas. I have seen some new cars come into the BX lot looking kinda beat up. Then you either have to accept the car in it's condition or wait forever to get another I guess. You never know.

Personally, I'd rather buy it from a reputable dealer here int he Forum that you can work with and such. Get the car, and then have it transported over by the military or on your own dime.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Spent a year on a waiting list for my 1999. Went to order a 2002 and was told to wait another year. Conclusion: Ordered one off the internet from a Florida dealer.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:46 PM
1953 C6
Racer

The Military Overseas (Navy AutoSource for me) buying program is out of Corvettes for 2005. They were allocated 50 Vettes for 2005, which were awarded via drawing in the middle August after placing a $2000 deposit. I was one of the lucky winners and ordered a white/red/black vert, 1SC, Z51, R8C, 6-sp. Paid about $8000 off MSRP. Scheduled delivery is in March/April which is what I asked for. Another guy also ordered a coupe for a December delivery in time for Christmas had no luck, his TPW is February. So, order early and be patient. Good luck, Frank
Old 01-02-2005, 01:25 AM
Slap
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default One of the fifty

I'm stationed at Ramstein AB, Germany and got one of the fifty slots this year. I ordered a Precision Red coupe back in July but somehow didn't get the nod from "the system" in time to beat the Victory Red switch (I'm still not full up on how that whole allocation process works).

I also had to change delivery location due to an upcoming PCS to Cannon AFB. My VR coupe was built a few weeks ago and awaits for a NCM pickup the first week of February versus being shipped over. No Autobahn time for me...too bad.

The process has been somewhat slow, but the price was great. If you have patience, it might be worth the wait. If you want the car now, you're better off buying from a state-side dealer and shipping it over yourself. For a little coin you can get some pretty nice shipping and handling for your "baby" and enjoy it as soon as you get here before the winter arrives.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:46 AM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by FRF Z06
The Military Overseas (Navy AutoSource for me) buying program is out of Corvettes for 2005. They were allocated 50 Vettes for 2005, which were awarded via drawing in the middle August after placing a $2000 deposit. I was one of the lucky winners and ordered a white/red/black vert, 1SC, Z51, R8C, 6-sp. Paid about $8000 off MSRP. Scheduled delivery is in March/April which is what I asked for. Another guy also ordered a coupe for a December delivery in time for Christmas had no luck, his TPW is February. So, order early and be patient. Good luck, Frank
$8000 off MSRP, that's great
IMHO stateside dealers can deal with you compared to AAFES fixed pricing. I went back to AAFES in 2003 to order a 2004 but didn't have any luck. They were advertising rebates of about $3000 off while stateside was offering $11 to 12K if not more. I'm waiting to see what the C6 Z06 pricing will be and may get one if it's reasonable but keeping my C5.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:00 PM
JJinNC
Instructor

Default AFEES Car order

I was deployed and ordered a Lemans Blue convertible in June. I must have been the first or close for 2005 because I had my name on the list very early. There was a drawing and I was fortunate to get selected. Of course I ordered the most popular color combination with an electric top. The latest update says it will be delivered the end of February but I'm not holding my breath. I'm tryinig to be patient...
Old 01-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Call or email one of the forum sponsores Dave @korbeck or one of the others
Old 01-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

GM is also offering a $750 discount to all military on just about all their cars...C6 included. I was able to take advantage of that when purchasing mine.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:03 PM
98RaptorTA
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all the advice. I will know in a couple months I am going to Germany!

Old 01-03-2005, 04:22 PM
SuperChevyICM
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RaptorTA
Thanks for all the advice. I will know in a couple months I am going to Germany!

If you do order one let me know and I will put you on my email update list. For military orders I do not have a limit. Forum member RAP iscurrently waiting on a Convertible on my list.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:20 AM
ServiceRifle
Intermediate

I tried here in Iraq and I was also told that they had only 50 allotted.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone purchase a Vette through AAFES?

Quick Reply: Anyone purchase a Vette through AAFES?