C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs. convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 01:27 AM
newtisme
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe vs. convertible

Since both models are open-air, what are the pros and cons of each?

Leaving the $ difference aside, which would you buy and why?

One of the recent reviews said there was a lot of "buffeting" in the coupe at 60+ MPH, and not reduced by lowering windows. Does anyone have any knowledge of, or expeience with, this issue?

Many thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 03:11 AM
z06monster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newtisme
Since both models are open-air, what are the pros and cons of each?

Leaving the $ difference aside, which would you buy and why?

One of the recent reviews said there was a lot of "buffeting" in the coupe at 60+ MPH, and not reduced by lowering windows. Does anyone have any knowledge of, or expeience with, this issue?

Many thanks
The Coupe is a big sunroof. If you have the means, I suggest the Vert.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:29 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you go for a vert expect to wait a very long time for it.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:49 AM
golfbone
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the coupe and love it. I think the coupe looks better, and you don't have to worry about the frailty of a canvas type (leaking, smelling, discoloring, getting damaged or vandalized, cleaning bird poop etc.) I take the top off my coupe in about 20 sec and I feel like there's no difference between what I'm in and a Vert. Coupe has a MUCH bigger trunk and even in the top off and stored in the trunk I can still my golf clubs and plenty of under stuff under the roof. Plus the coupe is less expensive.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:35 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the look of a vert better but I feel safer driving coupes.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:39 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

The coupe looks great, has open top capability, costs less, and is available.

The convertible looks great with the top down...not so great with the top up, costs more, and is (for all practical purposes) not available.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:04 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think this is about the 3rd time I have seen a reference to 'buffeting' in the coupe...I guess I am missing something since I am not getting what I consider excessive buffeting...should I return my Vette for a refund since apparently the car is defective

Seriously...no problem with buffeting even at 90 mph...
Michael
Old 12-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
The coupe looks great, has open top capability, costs less, and is available.

The convertible looks great with the top down...not so great with the top up, costs more, and is (for all practical purposes) not available.

I would have to agree with Stan, but you've got to buy what you want to drive.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:42 AM
archtop
Drifting

I own a coupe and since I got the transparent roof love it even more.I think the coupe looks better than the Vert with the top up.
For open air fun nothing beats a Vert.Having owned several Verts. my feeling is a Targa is just not the same.Its a compromise but removing the top at a stop light is not an option.The wind buffeting(noise) is more noticable on the coupe after 60 and just plain loud after 70.I would'nt take a long trip (60 min.) doing 75-80 with the top off.
I'm looking into getting a wind deflector made (like used on sunroofs) so the targa will be more usefull.I compared my coupe to my freinds 02' Vert. and his has much less wind noise at 70 than my coupe (windows up or down).Since this is my weekend toy (if money was no object) I would have bought the Vert.On my 04' s2000 I very rarely had the top up.Just my opinion.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:08 AM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

All Real Sports Cars Are Verts !!!!

Old 12-22-2004, 10:14 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by StanNH
..coupe looks great, has open top capability, costs less, and is avail...vert looks great ...top down...not so great...top up, costs more, and is...practical...not available.
Let me add that NOTHING beats a Vert in the summer. Tops need to be replaced in 5-7 yrs depending on your ability to care for it and the weather in your area. Interstate driving with a Vert is noisy, top flaps somewhat. Less than 10 years ago but still noisier than a coupe. Then there is the security aspect. Some Goomba sees a nice set of sunglasses on the dash and slashes your top to get those $150 Oakley’s. So in one hand you have …. and in the other …..Decisions Decisions
Old 12-22-2004, 11:11 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
I think this is about the 3rd time I have seen a reference to 'buffeting' in the coupe...I guess I am missing something since I am not getting what I consider excessive buffeting...should I return my Vette for a refund since apparently the car is defective

Seriously...no problem with buffeting even at 90 mph...
Michael

Most of the questions are from people who have not driven one. I had both a coupe and convertible C5. The C5 coupe did have too much buffeting. That is one of the reasons I bought the convertible (and I think it is drop dead gorgeous with the top down).

I had a C6 vert on order, but changed to a coupe due to both financial, and "tired of waiting" issues. I have had my coupe to 70mph a couple of times with the top off, and it is a huge improvement over the C5. There certainly is some wind - but not what I'd call buffeting. To me it's perfectly acceptable now - a little air movement is part of the convertible experience to me.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:14 AM
pizza man
Racer

Have had each one. Loved each one, but once you drop the top on a nice day or night theres no looking back.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:15 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

I hate to say it but I like the look of the vert with the top up. Im climbing in my bomb shelter, flame away.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:28 AM
pizza man
Racer

By the way, you shoul not be eating at 90mph, much less a buffet.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:45 AM
FastMover
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by JFTaylor
Let me add that NOTHING beats a Vert in the summer. Tops need to be replaced in 5-7 yrs depending on your ability to care for it and the weather in your area. Interstate driving with a Vert is noisy, top flaps somewhat. Less than 10 years ago but still noisier than a coupe. Then there is the security aspect. Some Goomba sees a nice set of sunglasses on the dash and slashes your top to get those $150 Oakley’s. So in one hand you have …. and in the other …..Decisions Decisions
NOTHING beats a Vert in the summer and if you live in the land of endless summer its the only way to go. I took my wife's 05 Miata for a 100 mile back road cruise yesterday with the top down, NOT a vette but I really needed a Vert fix, it was fun.
Tops need to be replaced in 5-7 yrs.... well it depends if the car is not a daily driver and kept in a garage, and properly cleaned and cared for, it will last 20 years.
top flaps somewhat.... This was true 10 years ago BUT my 96 C4 and 01 C5 did not flap at all and the C5 was ALMOST as quiet as my Neighbors 02 C5 coupe....
H3ll some times the top stays down for weeks at a time (not recommended), can cause wrinkles I am told but I have not had this problem...
Some Goomba sees a nice set of sunglasses on the dash and slashes your top to get those $150 Oakley’s .... Do you think if that wants those Oakleys in your coupe he would hesitate to do a smash and grab.... NOT
But what it boils down to is personal choice and were you live, in any case you CAN'T go wrong with a new C6 Vert or Coupe
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all

Last edited by FastMover; 12-22-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:45 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Each has it's own highlights.
Initially I was going to get a Vert until I saw the coupe in person. The styling of the coupe seemed to have so many features I found striking and somehow very Stingray like and I always loved Stingrays. I like closed cars as a rule because it has less parts.

The Vert style is so different from the coupe that there are a host of positve arguments for it as well. It is an awsome looking car.

Impatience on my part had a lot to do with it and now that the Verts are coming out I am scheming to swing one.

Having both models isn't any more impractical than just one right?

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe vs. convertible

Old 12-22-2004, 11:49 AM
FastMover
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by crabman
I hate to say it but I like the look of the vert with the top up. Im climbing in my bomb shelter, flame away.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:56 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

It would be interesting to see what the coupe to vert ratio is on a geographical basis. I know in the local club there are 77 owner/members, and Im guessing about a dozen verts. Not at all scientific but I would sure bet a club in SoCal would have a higher ratio of verts than we do here in the rainy NW.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

May I suggest a coupe for you, and a vert for the Mrs.?

Quick Reply: Coupe vs. convertible