C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson Learned

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Lesson Learned

Took the wife up to pickup her car at Goodyear this morning I told her I was going to run by Harbor Freight to pickup something, well I get there and turn off the car and the doors, windows or nothing else works I look at the dash and it says no FOB detected. When we left the house my wife have her Fob for the vet and mine was still on the counter so the car started and ran fine until I turned it off, had to call my wife to bring me her fob so I could get home lesson learned on that one..
Old 12-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Convert14
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You gotta laugh at that, but the real test... did you some how pin it on HER?

Rushing you, fussing to much before you left the house, or ANYTHING else?
Old 12-18-2004, 07:25 PM
2from53
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did something like that last week. Backed car out of garage, walked back in house to grab sunglasses or something and must have set fob down. Drove to local shopping center, went in a store and then realized I didn't have the fob. Of course car was locked when I returned so I had On-star unlock it in the hope the fob was inside somewhere. No fob, but I was able to call a neighbor who has a key to my house and she brought me the fob. I rewarded her with something from the local Starbucks.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Convert14
Pro

This is good stuff!!! I am sure I will a story like this soon. Lager99 will no doubt hammer me but what the heck.

Can you now imagine having your tires fixed, believe me those guys, and they are great and well meainign, are just lost with the FOB etc. It is a riot.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I'm surprised that you didn't get an error message on the DIC when you tried to turn off the engine. The one time the car couldn't detect my fob when I got ready to turn it off, I got some kind of message, "RUN or STOP", I think.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

It did give me a message when I tried to open the door NO FOB DEECTED I had to use the manual door opener to even get out of the car.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Thud
Team Owner

I wonder if anybody at GM ever thought of scenarios like this when they were coming up with the whole "keyless ignition" thing.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Thud
I wonder if anybody at GM ever thought of scenarios like this when they were coming up with the whole "keyless ignition" thing.
I never get invited to the "think of the most fkedup scenarios you can imagine" meetings.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:14 PM
Topless
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
I never get invited to the "think of the most fkedup scenarios you can imagine" meetings.

And certainly noone is more qualified.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:14 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Topless
And certainly noone is more qualified.
That's what I'm saying!
Old 12-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Mervz
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

The car will let you start it ONCE without the fob. He needs to learn to read the owners manual!
Old 12-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Mervz
The car will let you start it ONCE without the fob. He needs to learn to read the owners manual!
I'm sorry, but I've got an owner's manual and have read most of it, but I've never seen that in there anywhere. Would you care to quote a page number so I can read it? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:27 PM
H101
Pro

Errrr... Well.... only if you heed the "FOB not detected" warning. If you don't read, or don't understand, the message and push off again you are SOL.

If you do catch on, you have 5 minutes to start the car or it decides you really don't want to. I didn't see where this was limited to a one time deal.

I'm reading page 3-58 in the manual.. online version is at https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2cont...05corvette.pdf

I kinda' like the keyless bit, but it sure makes the car very different from most cars. If someone else is going to drive it (yeah, yeah... I know... don't let anyone else drive it) you feel like you are giving them a preflight briefing before they start the engine the first time.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Preflight briefing...that's funny. I too have a preflight briefing for trainee drivers. How to start, shut down, put in reverse to shut off, and watch out for CAGS too. I've got the brief down perfect now.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:38 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Boozman
Took the wife up to pickup her car at Goodyear this morning I told her I was going to run by Harbor Freight to pickup something, well I get there and turn off the car and the doors, windows or nothing else works I look at the dash and it says no FOB detected. When we left the house my wife have her Fob for the vet and mine was still on the counter so the car started and ran fine until I turned it off, had to call my wife to bring me her fob so I could get home lesson learned on that one..
I leave a fob in the car for just such occasions. No battery installed, of course, and well concealed. That way, after OnStar lets me in the car, I can just stuff the spare fob in the glovebox slot and away I go.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:49 PM
H101
Pro

Originally Posted by Buster1
Preflight briefing...that's funny. I too have a preflight briefing for trainee drivers. How to start, shut down, put in reverse to shut off, and watch out for CAGS too. I've got the brief down perfect now.
Don't forget seat memory and its interaction with the parking brake.

Come to think of it, there are a few more:
- you do have figure out who is going to have the FOB. If the FOB carrier leaves, the remaining occupant needs to open a door or manually lock the door, otherwise if they decide to get out later they set the alarm off.
-if you both have FOBs, then the car will blow the horn three times every once in a while when you are exiting... sometimes when you have both exited... trying to tell you that a FOB is still in the car. Guess what, at times they have both been outside the car... I haven't figured that one out yet... I just don't take bioth FOBs anywhere.

Ya know? Maybe I'm not so enthused about this technology after all.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:14 AM
87 Ragtop
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X Blind Auto-X Champ

Simple solution to this would be to have the car just quit running, or perhaps just run in a "limp home mode" if the fob signal is lost. It would let you know immediately that the fob wasn't there. It would also be a deterent to some dumbazz carjacking you too. They wouldn't know what to think when the car just dies and tries to figure out how to restart it.

Get notified of new replies

To Lesson Learned

Old 12-19-2004, 04:55 AM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

Old 12-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

2 years later and I've never read mine.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Don't forget seat memory and its interaction with the parking brake.

Come to think of it, there are a few more:
- you do have figure out who is going to have the FOB. If the FOB carrier leaves, the remaining occupant needs to open a door or manually lock the door, otherwise if they decide to get out later they set the alarm off.
-if you both have FOBs, then the car will blow the horn three times every once in a while when you are exiting... sometimes when you have both exited... trying to tell you that a FOB is still in the car. Guess what, at times they have both been outside the car... I haven't figured that one out yet... I just don't take both FOBs anywhere.

Ya know? Maybe I'm not so enthused about this technology after all.
My god that all sounds like a royal pain in the ***.

Quick Reply: Lesson Learned