C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips on avoiding a "fishtail"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Epro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we should lock this thread.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:42 PM
GENE HUBBARD
Advanced

Originally Posted by smslevin
Which gear ratio do you have? The 3.15 should light up the tires under WOT.
I have the 3.15 gears. I've made at least 25 WOT launches without the tires ever breaking loose. The car seems to pull hard through the first three gears. I haven't held it wide open past 120 yet. I guess I shouldn't complain, but I was just expecting more. This my seventh Vette so I'm not completly new at this. I wish I had another C6 auto to compare to, but no one around here has one yet.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:53 PM
GENE HUBBARD
Advanced

Originally Posted by bangbgC6
TC/AH completely disengaged, left foot on brake pedal, right foot on gas, bring R's up against brake. Once into the powerband stab the gas and hold the F*&%k on. Modulate throttle level against the steering and two black stripes about 12 " wide will appear magically behind you.
I haven't measured but they looked to be about 75-80 feet in length.

The only reason it stopped was I backed out of the throttle.

Bring Money for tires!

UPDATE: Sorry I left out one step.Once R's are where you feel they should be Take foot off brake.
Yes, I'm sure with a "power launch" I can make the tires spin, but what about all these guys with their tales about fishtails. It seems that some can't drive without it while I would have to try to make it happen.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:42 AM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GENE HUBBARD
Yes, I'm sure with a "power launch" I can make the tires spin, but what about all these guys with their tales about fishtails. It seems that some can't drive without it while I would have to try to make it happen.
The question I was answering for him was how to break his tires loose. I would suggest driving school for anyone who wants to learn how to control their Corvette at the limit.

AH/TC are not magic bullets, those who depend on them without learning how to drive the car at the limit will get BIT big time when faced with a real world situation.

Just buying a high performance car does not make one a high performance driver!
Old 12-11-2004, 10:49 PM
50-50
Racer

[QUOTE=ny10522]Got on it today along a straight road. Must have gone about 2/3 of the way down the gas pedal in second. Car fishtailed about 45 degrees in each direction going over the divider on a two lane road. Took active handling or my steering about one/two seconds to correct. Road was perfectly dry. Really surprised the hell out of me. QUOTE]

Pretty Cool, Huh!!!
Old 12-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Fred S
Instructor

Seems like most are experiencing the rear of the car coming around on only one side or the other. I thought a fish tail flaps both right and left.
That is, except for 50-50 who did a 45-45.

Last edited by wheelnut; 12-11-2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:20 AM
05C6400
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have realized that it does not take much for the vette to fishtail especially in 2nd gear and hitting it hard on the gas... its really easy to do.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:48 AM
stanleyp
Drifting

http://www.skipbarber.com/
Old 12-12-2004, 10:57 AM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Here try this

Old 12-12-2004, 11:07 AM
The Garage Master
Le Mans Master

Just learn how to control the slide like the old Dukes of Hazzard ny son calls it a Duke turn.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Thud
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wheelnut
Seems like most are experiencing the rear of the car coming around on only one side or the other. I thought a fish tail flaps both right and left.
That is, except for 50-50 who did a 45-45.

A fishtail is what happens when you over-correct for the initial tailslide. And then you overcorrect for the overcorrection. Back and forth until you wind up backwards, and/or in a ditch...
Old 12-12-2004, 03:29 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

All cars with any power at all will experience traction problems that may lead to fishtailing when putting the hammer down when it is cold. So if you don't floor them when it is cold you'll get no fishtailing.
The a4 has far less problems in this area then the mn6. I have the auto and before the six speeders start telling me that they have faster cars---I ALREADY KNOW THAT--OWNED AND DRIVEN BOTH. But the a4 bites and launches without all the fanfare, wheelspin, and kicking out the back. The a4's are at a serious disadvantage from the roll because the fewer gears create dead zones, but from the stoplight--I'm sorry ,I meant the Christmas tree, they flat out run and do not fishtail. I'm no tire expert but I have yet to read that any c6 owner like their tires. They seem to hurt the manuals more though. The a4's have posted 12.7's and we are seeing the manuals kind of stuck at 13.0 with higher trap speeds.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Chunandler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bizaro
Here try this

god thats sexy break me off a piece of that
Old 12-12-2004, 10:47 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

I read in one of the C6 reviews that the same guy that was the primary designor of the C6 is the same guy that was head designer for the Aztek.

Strange but true?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:18 AM
UBETRUN
Pro

I took the wife to the mall last night for some last minute shopping. I hammered the throttle on a straight stretch not far from the house. While I was appreciating the traction in 1st (A4) on relatively cold tires, it shifted into 2nd and went completely sideways. Completely and right now It took a few fishtails to get it going straight again, funny how big some of those trees look when you are pointing right at them. After things calmed down, she said that if I was going to do that again, give her a little warning. She thought I did it on purpose, I didn't tell her different God I love this car
Old 12-13-2004, 04:19 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by UBETRUN
I took the wife to the mall last night for some last minute shopping. I hammered the throttle on a straight stretch not far from the house. While I was appreciating the traction in 1st (A4) on relatively cold tires, it shifted into 2nd and went completely sideways. Completely and right now It took a few fishtails to get it going straight again, funny how big some of those trees look when you are pointing right at them. After things calmed down, she said that if I was going to do that again, give her a little warning. She thought I did it on purpose, I didn't tell her different God I love this car
CONFUSED---are you still driving the one bought back by GM?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Thud
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
The a4 has far less problems in this area then the mn6. I have the auto and before the six speeders start telling me that they have faster cars---I ALREADY KNOW THAT--OWNED AND DRIVEN BOTH. But the a4 bites and launches without all the fanfare, wheelspin, and kicking out the back.

Generally true, but if you are on a slight turn and accelerating hard in 1st gear, the auto can catch you off guard when it pounds into 2nd and kicks the rear end out. This used to happen to me in my 1990 automatic vette, the 1-2 shift was pretty firm because it shifts right down into the torque peak of the L98.
And for an inexperienced driver, the slight kick-out of the rear end will make you correct with the steering, but if the rear tires are still spinning you get more "turn" than you bargained for.
Not that the same thing ever happened to me many years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Any tips on avoiding a "fishtail"?

Old 12-13-2004, 10:45 PM
AA2PR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Be Cool

I have no scientific advice. But you might ask anyone who has lost it while stomping on the gas. No malice intended
AA2PR
Old 12-14-2004, 07:30 PM
UBETRUN
Pro

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
CONFUSED---are you still driving the one bought back by GM?
Yes, I can drive it until they give me a check. She said it might be by Xmas but wasn't 100% sure.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:20 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by UBETRUN
Yes, I can drive it until they give me a check. She said it might be by Xmas but wasn't 100% sure.
Then drive it like you stole it---but watch temperatures-even in Va. tires and roads freeeze---FISHTAIL..............

Quick Reply: Any tips on avoiding a "fishtail"?