C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible C6 and Viper SRT 10

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 07:48 AM
Turbo63
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible C6 and Viper SRT 10

Do you think the C6 convertible looks a heck of alot like the newer Viper SRT 10 convertible? Not that I have seen a new C6 Vert yet but the pictures look incredibly similar.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:01 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

No.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:10 AM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RTY2005
Do you think the C6 convertible looks a heck of alot like the newer Viper SRT 10 convertible? Not that I have seen a new C6 Vert yet but the pictures look incredibly similar.
The viper reminds me of the old Jaguar XKE of the 60s. That was the Corvette's main competitor at the time IMO, although in many ways it fell far short of the Vette and one often had to be an electrical engineer to drive around the block.
The C6 has been mistaken by others for the C4 when viewed from the side. At a distance the side view reminds me of the Datsun 280Z or the Opel GT. Both of those had chopped off appearances in the rear.
I am hopeful that the C7 will eliminate the smiling appearance which is apparent in all but the black colors. There is speculation that the Z06 will improve on the looks and hopefully so.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

No.

However, after having seen the new Viper up close at the last D.C. Auto Show, Guru_4_Hire and I came to the conclusion that it steals (er..."borrows") a lot from the stingrays.

It does not, however, look a lot like the C6 IMO.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by Charles7Mitchell
.....I am hopeful that the C7 will eliminate the smiling appearance which is apparent in all but the black colors. There is speculation that the Z06 will improve on the looks and hopefully so.

The so-called "smiling appearance" is only present in some photographs. In person, there is no such appearance. The Z06 pictures have already been posted and except for the nose scoop, the look is the same.

Have a nice wait for the C7.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:40 AM
z06monster
Burning Brakes

The viper reminds me of the old Jaguar XKE of the 60s. That was the Corvette's main competitor at the time IMO, although in many ways it fell far short of the Vette and one often had to be an electrical engineer to drive around the block.
The C6 has been mistaken by others for the C4 when viewed from the side. At a distance the side view reminds me of the Datsun 280Z or the Opel GT. Both of those had chopped off appearances in the rear.
I am hopeful that the C7 will eliminate the smiling appearance which is apparent in all but the black colors. There is speculation that the Z06 will improve on the looks and hopefully so.

The C6 is the best vehicle on the planet, ever. Obviously you are jealous or need to have your eyes checked. How dare you blaspheme the C6 in all its perfection and gloriousnessosity.
Go back to your Hyundai Elantra Forum, where you belong.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:12 AM
sal3coach
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

When my C6 Convertible gets here I will take some side-by-sides with my 04 Viper and try to figure out how to post them
Old 11-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Turbo63
Instructor

Hey Z06monster I have owned 6 vettes and my C6 was the 300th made -- I see you just joined this forum so more then likely you only own pics of a vette anyway. I appreciate the others feedback -- I assume you are on your highschool break now anyway.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by z06monster
The C6 is the best vehicle on the planet, ever. Obviously you are jealous or need to have your eyes checked. How dare you blaspheme the C6 in all its perfection and gloriousnessosity.

I am not a Hyundai Elantra fan, but if someone thinks that it is the most beautiful car on the planet it doesn't bother me. What you said however does hurt my feelings. My granny used to say pride goeth before a fall. For your sake I hope she was occasionally mistaken.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:51 AM
z06monster
Burning Brakes

I am not a Hyundai Elantra fan, but if someone thinks that it is the most beautiful car on the planet it doesn't bother me. What you said however does hurt my feelings. My granny used to say pride goeth before a fall. For your sake I hope she was occasionally mistaken.

I was trying to ape the general concensus here that the C6 is perfection on 4 wheels. Sorry, I thought you could see that my post was tongue-in-cheek. Sorry to offend, it was all meant to be funny. Obviously, it was not.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

I was trying to ape the general concensus here that the C6 is perfection on 4 wheels. Sorry, I thought you could see that my post was tongue-in-cheek. Sorry to offend, it was all meant to be funny. Obviously, it was not.

Your post was okay and there are no hard feelings. I have owned five vettes over the years including the 1963 split window in silver. But even in the 1972 model I felt a rush and would not doubt the comments of someone who thought it was the best ever. The Corvette is the most recognizable sports car in the U.S. and the tradition cannot be beat. So it really doesn't matter to me what pulls up next to me at a light or the isolated reasons why it might be better. I'm in the vette and that's all that really matters.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The viper reminds me of the old Jaguar XKE of the 60s. That was the Corvette's main competitor at the time IMO,
Shelby Cobra, 1965 FIA World Champion

Ford in it's usual infinite wisdom abandoned Shelby and the car, because it was more expensive than the Vette, which couldn't touch it on the track. Chevy DOES deserve enormous credit for sticking to the formula, and I love my first Vette (C6).
Old 11-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

They are the exact same car and are both made by Chevrolet. Viper is French for Corvette.

[End Misinformation]
Old 11-24-2004, 03:53 PM
DudeWheresMyVette
Drifting

Location: NYC / Naples, FL C5 under construction! Arancio Atlas (Lamborghini Metallic Orange) comming soon! :)

Edit, re read Z06 monsters post and saw he was being sarcastic
Old 11-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Epro
Melting Slicks

E'll no. Nothing a like. What are you, mad?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Your post was okay and there are no hard feelings. I have owned five vettes over the years including the 1963 split window in silver. But even in the 1972 model I felt a rush and would not doubt the comments of someone who thought it was the best ever. The Corvette is the most recognizable sports car in the U.S. and the tradition cannot be beat. So it really doesn't matter to me what pulls up next to me at a light or the isolated reasons why it might be better. I'm in the vette and that's all that really matters.

Most recognizable car in the world? A couple of weeks ago a guy asked me if my '56 Vette was a '71 Camaro.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Most recognizable car in the world? A couple of weeks ago a guy asked me if my '56 Vette was a '71 Camaro.
No wonder. I've seen so few of them that I might not recognize the '56 vette. It looks far removed my mental picture of a vette, but it's just as special as any of them. But if you think that there's another car that has a greater tradition, reputation, and recognition factor than the vette that's okay with me.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible C6 and Viper SRT 10

Old 11-26-2004, 06:11 PM
paystyle
Pro

Originally Posted by JoesC5
He said "most recognizable car in the U.S." Surprise surprise, another C5 owner/hater.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:13 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

no.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:22 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Believe it or not, I'm with you on this one. 1. I thought the use of 3 of these made it pretty obvious: 2. OTOH, maybe you were trying to average out your other posts. Real

Quick Reply: Convertible C6 and Viper SRT 10