C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 amongst the elites

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 03:52 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Key words: "This was the first MS C6 I have seen."

I would much rather have a Ford GT if I could afford it. By the sounds of it you can, so go buy yourself one.

I mean honestly I love corvettes, but a C6 isn't the best sports car you can buy. The GT would kill it in every catagory and you won't ever see 100's of them on the streets like you will C6's.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:20 PM
BriJac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with c2jones about the unreal world of cars in S Florida. However, it doesn't reflect our household income -- we are looking forward to delivery of our C6 MRed next week from the NCM and driving her home.... S Florida seems to be a Disneyworld of exotics - from cars to women to you-name-it.

The reason for the C6's on the lot is the MSRP + 10K, negotiate to 5K, we bought from a forum dealer. The dealers are smokin' something here....

Our decision to buy the C6 is personal - it is a world-class car -- an American icon -- and we are thankful to be able to buy and enjoy it. The best part for us is that we can enjoy it year round and observe the sites from the best seats in town......

Last edited by BriJac; 11-12-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:21 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Great Thread

Love your write-up, expecially having lived in S FL for 11 yrs.

A couple of comments: one post refered to the vette as a "sports car for the masses". I'm not sure I buy that... With an opening sticker price of 43+K, and when equipped like most our C6s, more like 53 - 55+K. That ain't food for the masses... Granted, its not 100 K+, but it isn't inexpensive,... least, I didn't think so when I forked over the dinero...

Think about folks. Conservatively, how much more do you have to spend to out-perform (not match) a bone stock C6 Z51 in handling, acceleration, top speed, etc? Looks don't count because that's too subjective. (I personally think my mag red coupe is the hottest f***in' car on the road period..., but that's me.). It depends on your choice, but anywhere from 30 to a couple of hundred K, again depending on how exotic you wanna' get... On the extreme, how much faster is the latest hot Ferrari or Lamboughini, and how much does each cost? All gorgeous cars BTW...

Sorry to babble, but the C6 stands on it's own merit. Maybe it doesn't have the snob appeal of some of the exotics, but it has nonetheless, proven itself an exotic....

Hats off to the whole corvette team , they just did a stone cold, killer good job on that car. And the kicker is..., the 06' Z06 is right around the corner...

Ya gotta' luv it...

Old 11-13-2004, 01:06 AM
c2jones
Burning Brakes

I mean honestly I love corvettes, but a C6 isn't the best sports car you can buy. The GT would kill it in every catagory and you won't ever see 100's of them on the streets like you will C6's.
I'm sorry, but I think you may have entirely missed the point of the posting. Whether the C6 is the "best sportscar one can buy" is all relative to the person, application and circumstances of the individual. "Best" can represent speed, appearance, value, practicality, or the best combination of all of those things. In the case for C6, it nails down that combination very well.

The "GT" (Ford GT40) will not "kill it (C6) in every category."

GT cannot compete in price and value. It cannot compete in practicality. It will trail in reliability, I'm sure. It is neither as efficient or as safe. GT will never be elected Car of the Year or gather too many tough auto critic honors (beyond performance, if it should even win its category) anywhere near that of the C6.

So, again, this is all relative to the buyer.

I have seen just two Ford GT's thus far on the streets. I have seen about 4 or 5 C6's thus far down here. Considering the price differential, one would presume this to be more lopsided than this. (But its still early for both cars.)

Moreover, since you referenced me and my automotive preferences. While I could easily afford the GT, this would certainly not be the type of car I would buy. The stripes and racecar look is outside my social niche to function and be observed in. The car is too racey. While Ferrari and other exotics are racey, many, especially the Ferrari, do it with exquisite taste - not overdone.

I am a businessman in the corporate development/entertainment arena. I have to look the part when I'm these circles. My preference is that of upper MB SL series cars. Though pricey, these cars hold their value very well, are fast, safe, reliable, attractive and thus fit very well into my purposes. A pure racey go-fast car like the GT would not fit this bill. (The MB SL65 would be my choice if I were looking for much greater speeds with my stylish car. I love those new Aston Martins too - there is one due out for a mere $90K soon!)

There is more to my standing than just speed.

Finally, one of the tenets I emphasized was that irrespective of price and the incredible value of C6, the car is MUCH more than just a bargain. Even if price were the same as many of these other cars, GM would still have a customer in me, perhaps especially so. If C6 were to cost what a GT does, I would have had one already. This is because the price would then drive Corvette into the "status" aspect of the bigger spenders and thus better justify its purchase, strangely. (I'm not saying that GM would fare well doing this; not everyone would pay this for a Corvette - this is just to make my point.)

Visually, practically, and in so many ways, the C6 is a special car. Its price is merely a bonus.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:09 AM
RichardTigner
Instructor

There must be something in the water in Florida. The Corvette is to a Ferrari, like a Citation is to a Corvette.

Old 11-13-2004, 01:13 AM
c2jones
Burning Brakes

The Corvette is to a Ferrari, like a Citation is to a Corvette.
You're missing the point.

And if you cannot gather this by now - you won't.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:17 AM
c2jones
Burning Brakes

The idea is about overall packaging.

Its not about just price or just performance. There are more factors.

Even the Du Pont Exotic Car Buyer's Guide loves the C6 for good reason. And this publication caters to specialty buyers who know cars.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=933122
Old 11-13-2004, 01:23 AM
RichardTigner
Instructor

Last edited by RichardTigner; 11-13-2004 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:32 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Default They Refuse Input

Lets face it, there are few folks out there who frequent this forum, who do not like the C6, period, for what ever reason...

Call them C6 snobs for lack of a better phrase... They get it, but they refuse input.... No use trying to talk with these folks, or reason with them. Their intent is to present a negative image and they do... So be it, I really don't give a rat's a**. The rest of us love our vettes, whatever generation.

Old 11-13-2004, 02:05 PM
Gofasterdad
Racer

Old 11-13-2004, 02:57 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by c2jones
Living in South Florida, I see many high-priced luxury/sedans and sportscars everyday, including many exotics.

On Thursday alone, going into town for new tires (for my wife's MB - about a three to four hour span), I saw 3 Ferraris, 2 SLR McLarens, 4 Bentleys, 2 Aston Martins, 3 Lambos, 2 Maserati's, a dozen Porsches, half a dozen MB SL's, CL's, BMW 5,6,7's, etc. (And many others I have forgotten.)

And, I saw just one very nice C6 - a Machine Silver Coupe with its tops off!

My favorite of the day?

The C6!

I know many might not believe this, but I’m being honest.

Even though I'm a MB club member and my business executive associates are puzzled by my newfound interest in Corvette (knowing I could easily afford three times the car), I cannot get my desire mode away from the C6. I have made a decision that I would rather rehearse my responses (justifications) as to why I prefer this car over more likely choices for '05 (SL600) than I would be without one!

On US 595 East today I spotted this exquisite, stunning object approaching me in the passing lane. I was in the wife's supercharged MB watching my mirrors - I lowered, then picked up my cruising speed to keep visual lock on this machine which looked low and wide (the hallmarks of an exotic sportscar approaching) and had its driving/fog? lights on demanding attention!

It was partly cloudy but with plenty of sun through the clouds. I thought all the world that this was that bluish/silver Modena, or possibly Lambo's new ride, or something in this vein. (This points back to that "C6 looking like Ferrari" thread at quick glance.)

Instead, it was a gorgeous MS C6 looking like the crown jewel of the day!

This was the first MS C6 I have seen. I have long since asked myself which color I would opt for. I need a “business” color for my activities throughout the day, and although I like DSOM and MRM very much, the MS would probably fit the bill better (matching MB’s brilliant silver on their SL’s, etc).

Besides today, because of the speeds and traffic, I have been able to spot C6’s right away. My eyes are trained for them. I have driven by restaurants, etc. at above the posted speed limit and caught just a glimpse of a C6 from the corner of my eye, and I know what I’ve seen, make a u-turn, and take a closer look and sing praises to the owner. Today, at speeds, I saw a very impressive sight to behold.

Note: Even though the C6 is taller and more narrow than its predecessor, it still appears (at least to me) to have the visual effect of being lower and wider. Maybe it was the silver paint, the lighting conditions and the speeds (with fogs on) all meshing well with the road. Nevertheless, I love the new look. It continues to grow on me, despite some initial disappointment (with the chopped rear).

To summarize my intent with this:

1) For me, the uniqueness of the C6 right now puts it in very stellar company, even in locations like mine.

2) Visually, this car holds its own and gathers all the attention as any other – even for discerning and selective auto enthusiasts like myself.

3) Nevermind the so-called value of this car. That’s a bonus. Straight-up, the C6 is worthy! For all the reasons why people buy sportscars – any sportscar – C6 appeals and delivers!

I’m waiting for the 6spd auto (hopefully with steering wheel mounted shifters), combined with F55 to offer a more “Euro” refined aspect to this car. But the latest reports suggest spring to fall of next year at the earliest. I cannot wait this long. Maybe I’ll take an (ill-advised) shot a the 6spd manual, knowing that I’ll grow tired of this in Miami’s gridlock conditions and be ready to trade it in next fall- Autumn…

Anyhow, sorry to ramble…

But for those of you who already have C6’s, you are in select company.

Many of you live in smaller cities or towns. If C6’s have still not become saturated in my area, then in rural locations, these cars must be almost by themselves and be the hot items in the neighborhood.

Good stuff!

If there is one strong justification for paying a little more for a C6 now versus later (including managing through mechanical gremlins, if any), it’s that the rare factor the car is experiencing right now truly offers it a distinguishing element. Getting a C6 down the road when they are common on the streets only to know you saved a few dollars is losing its merit (with me anyway). The car is at its most special, unique point right now.

It doesn’t look like another undersized roadster, nor another strict musclecar or boy-racer – it has its own look. It’s the perfect sized car – not too big not too small (like its rivals). Its great lines and bright paint combined with its infrequency (at the moment) make for a super visual.
You know, I couldn't agree with you more. I can afford pretty much any car I want, including many exotics. And my choice is the C6. The look is exotic with a muscular American hint.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:44 PM
paystyle
Pro

Originally Posted by RichardTigner
Was it a Ferrari, a Lambo or a Vette I saw on the freeway? You have got to be kidding. I actually read this entire post expectiing to hear the punchline.

I told you you were a hater...but don't fret, drink some hater-ade.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:48 PM
paystyle
Pro

My wife's next Benz will have 7spds!).
And a bout a third of the power and performance of a C6.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:50 PM
paystyle
Pro

Originally Posted by JoesC5
If you're wondering where the C6's are in Florida, go to GMBUYPOWER.COM and plug in zip 33825. You will find they are all sitting in the dealer's showrooms. A ton of them.
What'ya know, another C5 owner/hater. A ton? Well that's not very many, that's not even three vehicles.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Stolit
Safety Car

Perhaps not enough people know the car is available. Pick a hypothesis. Point is, C6's are still quite rare to be seen on the roads in any number; even far less than these pricier exotic counterparts.
Meh. I've seen more C6s than I've seen GTOs (the new ones...seen 2), Phaetons (I've seen one), and Ford GTs (a few) combined.

New cars are like that. I remember thinking the same thing when the G35 first came out. "Oh, wow, S-Classes are a dime a dozen and G35s are so rare!" Give it a year or two. They're certainly anything but rare now. Same thing with the Nissan 350Z, Porsche GT3, the latest Mercedes SL, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if a C6 or two popped up next to my Vette at my college one day.

Earlier today, I was out, and I saw a dark red '05 Mustang. That's about the third one I've seen, and I've seen far more '05 Vettes than I have '05 Mustangs. Is an '05 Mustang better than a C6 somehow? I don't think so.

Yes, I've seen several times more 360 Modenas and Gallardos and Murcielagos than I have C6s. In two years, I won't be saying the same thing. I see about five Corvettes each way in my very short commute each day. Most of them are C5s. I'm sure their owners thought as you did when the C5 first came out. Again, give it time.

And regarding the dealer factor: All the C6s I've seen have been on the road or parked. I've never seen one at the dealer. A pity too, because I'd like to get a feel for the egonomics of the C6.

Last edited by Stolit; 11-13-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

I still haven't seen one C6 on the road. But I know 2 forum members on here are in Maryland that have one.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:40 PM
GENE HUBBARD
Advanced

Originally Posted by vette6799
If a C6 floats your boat, that's great. Certainly an attractive car and lots of car for the money. But where I live, vettes are a dime a dozen. Rarely does anyone give them a second glance. Ferraris and other exotics, on the other hand, draw a crowd. I have been driving vettes since 1967 and in my neighborhood, half the people who drive the car don't even know the history of "the wave".

The number of corvettes, and their affordability, is both a plus and a minus. A nice sports car for the masses, which is the only real reason GM makes the car, but after a while the number of vettes on the road kind of minimizes the way the car is viewed IMHO.
I don't know where you live but I'm glad I don't live there. My C6 is my seventh Vette. Every one has gotten much attention but none has gotten the attention the C6 has. I love the car and the attention. It is like the way people are excited about Harleys over other bikes.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 amongst the elites

Old 11-13-2004, 10:06 PM
GENE HUBBARD
Advanced

On the rare moments that I have open road, the manual would be fine. I love the sporty feel of a manual clutch. But in the gridlock situations, I would not only be sorry, I might feel a tad silly. The aforementioned business associates (as well as everyone I knew) would regard this as a stupid move triggered by emotion over practicality. When in gridlock conditions, I'd have to agree with them. (But only then! )

Many years ago I drove for UPS and the constant clutching wore down my desire to do so under any circumstances ever again. But that's been so long ago that I'm willing to revist this disposition and give it another whirl. The gridlock stuff will bring back those delivery truck memories. This what I'm afraid of.

Still, given the right conditions, there's nothing like a stick, especially if one knows its only temporary. The possible release date arrival of the 6spd auto is a big determining factor. (A 4spd auto, though updated as you state, is still kind of dated overall in terms of current technology today. Its been a long time since I have driven anything under a 5spd auto. My wife's next Benz will have 7spds!).

Nice ride you have there, BTW.
Quit worrying about your associates and just come out of the closet. You might find that your associates have the same secret desire to own a Vette. Who knows, maybe sll your associates will buy one also. Be a leader, not a follower. If They don't like it then get new associates.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:37 PM
GENERAL ST
Pro

C2 Jones......................Spoken Well....As Is The Truth..
Old 11-14-2004, 02:22 AM
z06monster
Burning Brakes

Ok you are right. The C6 is the greatest car in the history of all cars on the planet, ever. I admit it. I am so so so so so terribly jealous that you have a C6 and I don't.

Could it be that I can't afford it? NO

Could it be there aren't any available, because its a rare exotic? NO

Could it be that its non-descript and boring. YES

Happy now - paystyle ?

Last edited by z06monster; 11-14-2004 at 02:25 AM.

Quick Reply: C6 amongst the elites