C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to clean under headlight cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Lawman31
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default How to clean under headlight cover

When I picked up my new White C6 on Tuesday, I noticed that there were some small black particles in the headlight area under the clear lens. Does anyone know how I might clean this area?
I looks like I would need to pull off the wheels, remove the fender well, remove the entire headlight assembly and then dismantl it.
This is obviously too much work to remove some small flakes, but they really bug me.
Thanks for any assistance on this.

Last edited by Lawman31; 11-12-2004 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't have any black particles, just some smudges and dirt. However, I haven't figured out how to get in there either.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Hernan
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you could take out the bulb and stick a pipe cleaner in there. The bulbs have to be replaceable.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Rocketblock
Drifting

Old 11-12-2004, 12:34 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

When I get specks of dirt on my headlights, I just flip 'em down.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:50 AM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Those aren't "headlight covers". They are lenses. And they are bonded with very strong adhesive to the housing. You will not be able to get access to the area where the black particles are, from the back. The low and high beam projectors, brackets, and wiring harness are all in the way.

If the black particles are objectionable to you, then you will have to take your C6 back to the dealer and he will have to install a new headlight.

I had the same problem, and tried every other possible solution, including high pressure air, and a vacuum inside the headlamp.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:45 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There has to be a way to replace them without cracking them loose from a bond of glue... isn't there? What happens when a rock cracks one? I can't imagine they'd have to crack it out with a chisel???

Mike
Old 11-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Red_Racer
Most people would clean them.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RedRacer...my thoughts exactly...another good reason to have flip-up headlights (hide the dirt during the day)...
Old 11-12-2004, 11:05 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark S.
RedRacer...my thoughts exactly...another good reason to have flip-up headlights (hide the dirt during the day)...
The only reason you have to hide them by flipping them down is that most people either forget or are too lazy to wash them when they wash the car so they stay dirty. When I'm detailing, I like my headlights to be accessible without opening/closing the driver's door and flipping switches.

Mike
Old 11-12-2004, 11:55 AM
cam30era
Pro

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
There has to be a way to replace them without cracking them loose from a bond of glue... isn't there? What happens when a rock cracks one? I can't imagine they'd have to crack it out with a chisel???

Mike
If you break or crack the lens, then the entire headlamp assembly has to be replaced.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

I guess we're still learning about the wonders of new technology!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Lawman31
Racer

I went to the dealer and was told that he had to attend a class next week but assured me that he would have an answer for me next week.
I am probably going to have them replace both complete headlight assemblies.
Too bad actually because the specs of grime are very small, but they are definalty not supposed to be there.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:31 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Racer

Man I'm sooooooo glad you reminded me of just how fugly my old (and very slow C5) headlights were. Soooooo glad to have that new C6!!

Last edited by David Lasic; 11-12-2004 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:23 AM
Lawman31
Racer

Well, I figured it out on my own even after the dealer scratched his head over it for a week now.
Remove cover behind lights. Take out high beam bulb. Take a 2 foot long piece of clear water tubing and insert a 16 gauge piece of wire through it so that you can bend it a bit to maneuver it into place. Stick the tube in through hole that high beam bulb came out of. You will be able to get it through the small surround gap between the housing and the lens for either the low beam or the high beam depending on where you need to position the tube. Once you have it in the area under the main lens, go ahead and pull out the 16 gauge wire which will leave you a tube in place.
I used two methods here and a lot of finagling, but I connected my air compressor to the end of the tube and blew out some of the stuff, it probably ended up in the gap between the lens and the rubber, but it is not on the painted area anymore. I was also able to use duct tape and connect the other end of the tube to my shop vac and suck out a piece that was about a half inch away from where I was able to get the tube to. Anyway, this took some patience, but overall was not frustrating and very successful. Both of my headlights are now free of debris.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:13 AM
cam30era
Pro

I am impressed, Lawman 31! Good job!
Old 11-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Lawman31, I'm impressed too...but once again it shows GM's faulty engineering when designing the headlamps. Surely they knew that there had to be a way of getting at them in the event of bulb failure, etc.,...but as usual you have to figure out other ways of getting at them. I thought that access to the C6's bulbs, etc., was through access panels located inside the front wheel wells...but in your case...it seems that the clear plastic cover must be glued into place (with the rubber seal) and cannot be removed at all. I guess, what would they do, if you had a crack in the clear plastic lens and it required replacement?

In any event, if you recall, a lot of C5er's always complained about the DRL/Turn Signal light going out and having to replace it was always a real PITA...though there was an access panel located underneath (which when on a lift is a piece of cake to accomplish).

Get notified of new replies

To How to clean under headlight cover

Old 11-22-2004, 11:08 AM
FLC6
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My lenses have grime on the outside of them and grime on the inside of the plastic leans.

I wish I could just wipe it off without going through all the hassle of a wire....et.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:48 AM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lawman31
When I picked up my new White C6 on Tuesday, I noticed that there were some small black particles in the headlight area under the clear lens. Does anyone know how I might clean this area?
I looks like I would need to pull off the wheels, remove the fender well, remove the entire headlight assembly and then dismantl it.
This is obviously too much work to remove some small flakes, but they really bug me.
Thanks for any assistance on this.
A more fundamental question is, why is there any grime there in the first place. Poor quality control!
Old 11-22-2004, 12:18 PM
FLC6
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually, all my cars that had fixed projector style lights have this film on the inside of the lights.

I think it must be from the heat and the plastic. It must product a byproduct that leaves a thin milky film.

It most definitely cuts down the light output and clarity though.

Quick Reply: How to clean under headlight cover