C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning off DRLs permanently

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 10:49 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like them either so I foil taped the lens covers. I think they still come on because the tape gets hot, but at least I can't see them.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
Vet Interested (05-05-2016)
Old 12-31-2004, 10:59 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
I don't like them either so I foil taped the lens covers. I think they still come on because the tape gets hot, but at least I can't see them.

Mike
Aren't the DRLs also your turn signals? And how would you be able to foil tape them? Aren't they in a semi sealed unit?
Old 12-31-2004, 11:14 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Now back to the original question. Without all the lectures and flames. How do you turn them off permantely?
Old 12-31-2004, 11:15 PM
natejohn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm..had never occured to me that I may be alerting the legal community...Perhaps I'll change my DIC message to - DRLs OFF!
Old 01-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by rwpatte
Now back to the original question. Without all the lectures and flames. How do you turn them off permantely?
I'm still looking for a way to do it on my auto tranny coupe without pulling fuses or the like. Although there's now a slight doubt in my mind whether my originally-posted method of doing it for the manual tranny worked all the time or not, I did check it several times by getting out of the idling car and going to the front to look. They were off the 3 or 4 times I checked.

Remember that if you have to pull fuses to do it, you also shut off your front turn signals.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:35 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TedG
Aren't the DRLs also your turn signals? And how would you be able to foil tape them? Aren't they in a semi sealed unit?
I taped the whole lens, from the outside. For turn signals, I use the arm out the window method. I guess I should have used a instead of a

OK. On a more serious note, I did find the following post on digitalcorvettes: the search actually works there believe it or not (sorry, couldn't resist). It was posted in the C6 section by a C6 owner so I believe it refers to a procedure that will work on the C6 but I haven't tried it (don't plan to because in reality I don't care that the DRL's are on) and am not 100% sure.

Here is how to disable them permanently and it is reversable and does not affect the operation of any other lights. Cut and paste follows. 1. In the passenger footwell, lower the front carpet.
2. Remove the foot panel.
3. Locate the IPEC (Instument Panel Electrical Center) It looks like the fuse box next to the battery.
4. Remove the cover of the IPEC.
5. Turn it over and find the diagram of the components.
6. Locate relays 38 and 40. (38 controls the right DRL and 40 the left)
7. Pull each relay and carefully remove the cover.
8. Insert some type of insulator between the relay contacts (matchbook cover cardboard or the plastic from a coffee can lid works well) that you have cut to fit.
9. Replace relay cover, replace relay, replace IPEC cover, replace the footwell.
10. DONE!!
Please remember to have the ignition OFF and if you are not comfortable doing this work with the battery connected, DISCONNECT IT FIRST.

Mike

Last edited by mikeyc6; 01-01-2005 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:32 AM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TA
I guess to each his own......I just don't see what the big deal is with having DRLs. Is it really that bothersome?
The have some very COOL non imaging optical lenses. I think they look great. They blow the C5 DRLs away optically and are the most unusual DRLs you will see on the road.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:49 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe
There's no problem turning them off. Just one flip of the wrist with the light-control stalk. But they come back on every time you start the car. Some folks would like to turn them off permanently, which is why this thread was started.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:50 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FLC6
LOL, some people are so funny. They are lazy and don't read the thread before they post. I also can't stand the people that HAVE to state their opinion as to WHY we would want to do such a thing as permanently turn off the DRL. We don't care! We just want to know how to turn these damn things off forever!
Old 01-01-2005, 05:52 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

There's no problem turning them off. Just one flip of the wrist with the light-control stalk. But they come back on every time you start the car. Some folks would like to turn them off permanently, which is why this thread was started.
permantely
Old 01-01-2005, 05:54 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FLC6
LOL, some people are so funny. They are lazy and don't read the thread before they post. I also can't stand the people that HAVE to state their opinion as to WHY we would want to do such a thing as permanently turn off the DRL. We don't care! We just want to know how to turn these damn things off forever!
undefined
Old 01-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS WON
permantely
I can't find this word in my dictionary. Please tell me what it means. Maybe the no-no smilie means it's not in the dictionary.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS WON
Thanks. I've resisted for a long time, but you've made the list.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:21 AM
FLC6
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Mikey,

Thanks for the help. I also tried that method. The directions are so vague that no one can seem to do it. If anyone does succeed please let us know how you did it.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Whoooooo I'm So Honored

Thanks. I've resisted for a long time, but you've made the list.
EXCELLENT, GREAT BUT YOU FAILED
Glad I don't buy used cars especially since Bubba has been in there tearing eveything out of the car butchering it not knowing what he is doing...rofl: Have a nice day, take care, whatever Seeya wouldn't want to be ya

Last edited by LS WON; 01-02-2005 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Turning off DRLs permanently