C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How fast have you gone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 02:45 PM
djhartm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast have you gone?

Took the C6 up to 126 last night. Car was very stable but its strange that in a car, that speed seemed really fast.

On my GSX-R 1000, such speeds seem common & slow.

I've seen an (indicated) 186 on my bike in Happy Valley on the way up to Tahoe.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 PM
SSkindog
Racer

125 mph in the C6. And it seemed very quiet, and stable. And was climbing fast when I backed out of it.........

131 mph in the 1/4 mile with my Formula. And that doesnt feel anywhere as smooth or stable as the C6.
But the wheels in the air launch, and 11 psi in the slicks contribute to the raw, savage 10 sec trip. Which is a blast btw.
Anyone who hasnt let go of a transbrake button at 5k rpm behind a 600 HP+ race engine. Find a way to do it. Bum a ride in one from a friend. Build one. Buy one. Run one. At least once. You wont be disappointed

Last edited by SSkindog; 10-29-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 PM
ZL1Vette
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I was surprised that the test-drivers in the Disc. Channel C-6 documentary went 180 MPH on the Autobahn....on normal travelled sections, with cars and trucks alongside. On a 2-lane stretch!

Was anyone else surprised? I know there aren't any speed limits on many sections, but going 3X normal speed?

I would have thought they'd take it that high -- even above 120 MPH -- only on a very isolated stretch of highway OR a test-track.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Wafdof
Racer

Originally Posted by ZL1Vette
I was surprised that the test-drivers in the Disc. Channel C-6 documentary went 180 MPH on the Autobahn....on normal travelled sections, with cars and trucks alongside. On a 2-lane stretch!

Was anyone else surprised? I know there aren't any speed limits on many sections, but going 3X normal speed?

I would have thought they'd take it that high -- even above 120 MPH -- only on a very isolated stretch of highway OR a test-track.
I was surprised also. I also had to chuckle about how calm the test driver was talking to the camera. "We better slow down, there is a curve coming up"

The camera man leaning over to get a view of the Speedometer several times and the cars blurring by in the passenger window.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:10 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How Fast

You know, I've been scared to really push it for fear of gettin' a honkin' fat ticket...... But we pulled onto I35 south out of Dallas 3 nights ago and I went through the gears simply to get up to speed,.... I looked at my HUD, and I was doing 121. I couldn't believe it! The car felt like it was doing 55,.....

I'm lookin' for that long strech of straight, cop-free road to try it out. Remember those scenes from the Discovery channel documentry on making the C6?..... where the camera is in the car with test driver on the Autobahn doin' 165, blowin' by car after car..... Hot stuff...
Old 10-29-2004, 03:13 PM
thebiggman
Racer

140mph is the fastest I've been and I'm satisfied with that. Probably won't try to go any faster. The interesting and amazing thing is I hit 130mph in 4th gear before shifting to 5th. I was not even close to the rev limiter either, that truely amazed me

But, yeah 140mph and the car felt totally under control!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:16 PM
LiquidDI
Drifting

took my 99 Formula to top speed twice. 165mph. It seemed very fast and crazy scary. The vette has ony been around 110.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Vetteran
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07

I was stationed in Germany and didn't have a fast car then. When you pass
on the autobahn, you must be very careful. I remember more than once
seeing a porche or bmr coming up real quick in my rearview. They will
flash their headlights at you if they are getting close. I was passed many
times by cars doing well over 140mph!! Wish I'd had the vette back then!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:45 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

This is not unusual on many parts of the Autobahn - when I drove there several years ago in my friend's BMW I was doing about 120 and had to REALLY make sure I got back in the right lane in case some high end sports car came up on me at speeds much beyond that - apparently like the guy on the discovery channel. He sure seemed noncholant, didn't he?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:53 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Unlike here in the USA, they know how to drive over there. You are safer going 130+ on that road than you are here going 45 on a divided boulevard.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:58 PM
NOVAVETTE
Burning Brakes

135 mph (in 6th gear, to keep rpm's down)
Old 10-29-2004, 04:02 PM
wachuko
Racer

I will wait for my C6 and take it somewhere safe (race track) where I can test my limits (not sure I will be able to test the car's limits )... outside of a race track it just gets too expensive and God only knows what might happen if something gets in the way. Insurance premiums, ticket, etc... that is scary and not really worth the thrill...

On previous cars I have had:

172mph - 1997 Porsche 911 (993) C2S
160mph - 1993 Nissan 300ZX TT
Old 10-29-2004, 05:10 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wwashing
Unlike here in the USA, they know how to drive over there. You are safer going 130+ on that road than you are here going 45 on a divided boulevard.

Listen to what your saying. Your safer going 130 than going 45? Even if you did happen to get in an accident at 45 your not going to die. 130, chances are good you will be in a hospital for a while if not dead.

At least thats my take on the whole thing.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:59 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

The point is they are better drivers.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:21 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzlove
You know, I've been scared to really push it for fear of gettin' a honkin' fat ticket...... But we pulled onto I35 south out of Dallas 3 nights ago and I went through the gears simply to get up to speed,.... I looked at my HUD, and I was doing 121. I couldn't believe it! The car felt like it was doing 55,.....

I'm lookin' for that long strech of straight, cop-free road to try it out. Remember those scenes from the Discovery channel documentry on making the C6?..... where the camera is in the car with test driver on the Autobahn doin' 165, blowin' by car after car..... Hot stuff...
Just curious, but how old are you guys? 40+? Geez, i do 120mph daily on my commute in LA traffic. In my DAILY DRIVER, a 4cyl Galant! You probably shouldn't even ask how fast I take my vette when I take it out.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:27 PM
slowtrak
Racer

vectorz - I live in L.A. and commute myself . Where exactly do you go 120mph in traffic ? What time is it ? 2 a.m. !??!
Old 10-29-2004, 06:28 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by flood

Listen to what your saying. Your safer going 130 than going 45? Even if you did happen to get in an accident at 45 your not going to die. 130, chances are good you will be in a hospital for a while if not dead.

Ya no kidding. He made a pretty ignorant comment.

Get notified of new replies

To How fast have you gone?

Old 10-29-2004, 06:30 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

I don't know which part of LA you live, but I don't see traffic at 2 am. I drive fast generally any opportunity I get.

Oh but wait. You think that's funny.. guess what? I don't care, grandpa.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:31 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vectorz
I don't know which part of LA you live, but I don't see traffic at 2 am. I drive fast generally any opportunity I get.

Oh but wait. You think that's funny.. guess what? I don't care, grandpa.

Oh wait. I just realized. You live in Norco. HA! That speaks for itself.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Stolit
Safety Car

Originally Posted by flood

Right. However, his point was that you're far less likely to get into an accident in the first place because German drivers are trained extremely well and are capable of handling such high speeds. Here in America, when you come up on a car doing triple digits and they're doing the speed limit, many people would just freeze, causing you to slam on your brakes to avoid a collision.

In Germany, when you come up behind a car at speed and the car is moving slowly, everyone knows exactly what to do. There is none of this freeze up/panic/swerve into your lane BS.

Thus, his point has merit. They are used to driving quickly and driving well (not to mention staying out of the left lane), wheras here in America...well, your average soccer mom in her Excursion sitting in the left lane with her blinker on talking on her cell phone while eating and yelling at her kids probably isn't.

To answer the question, ~135 in my old C4.

Last edited by Stolit; 10-29-2004 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: How fast have you gone?