C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi All...just got back from BG and a memorable day!!!>>>

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 10:05 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Hi All...just got back from BG and a memorable day!!!>>>

You have read many an accolade about the BG plant visit, but I can without hesitation say the actual experience of being there far exceeds reading about it. And a truly heart felt thanks and appreciation of Kevin...we spent close to 4 hours today strolling thru the facility and talking about the C6, the plant and anything cars...this guy is such a gentleman and so giving.
Now to some observations...
-the obvious first was if it was not for Kevin and his extra efforts of tracking our vehicles I would have never been able to have this experience!
-I was totally impressed with the folks who work there...this is THEIR car their life their pride...everyone smiled, talked and went out of their way to make me feel as if I have a very special car (which we do)...you just feel good being there
-The manufacturing process is of course fascinating but what impressed me was the total focus on quality control...the C6 production has gotten new special equipment just for the purpose...there is a real intent to make this Vette the best ever and everywhere QC is evident. QC is just everywhere...you can know that when you take delivery of the C6 it has gotten a major oversight to make it the best.
-the C6 is a more complicated car to manufacture over the C5 and takes longer with more people to produce...interesting tid bit..the total conveyor lines (for parts, assemblies etc) for the Vette is 15 miles long under one roof..is very impressive operation.
-YES I wish I could have taken pics but that is a BIG NO NO so I can only share verbiage...watching the engines coming together..the chassis being fabricated...dashes..seats..painting (oh yes...saw lots of vert parts painted and the initial assembly starts next week...just a few a day but verts will be coming off the line then...) the 'marriage line' (chassis/drive train/suspension being mated to the body) just sends tingling thru you..you see an almost complete C6!
-talked to many of the line workers and supervisors...they love talking about the car and in particular seeing someone who has purchased one of their own...way cool!
-Saw a complete chassis come by on a dolly (being pushed along by two fellows)...asked Kevin what that was about.. 'nothing wrong with it but they pull one off on occasion and then completely tear apart..chemically, microscopically and mechanically analyze just to make sure what is being produced is correct
-on the line...every color evident except VR..not being produced yet
-saw about a dozen verts outside for delivery...but not to customers..for dealers or 'engineering'..asked about that and was told 'engineering' means they go and just beat the crap out of the car to test endurance, quality etc and then the car is destroyed...ouch!..these were full production verts (sorry you vert buyers..sorta a bad thought to thing about one of these machines being destroyed)

Now to the very personal part for me..been with Kevin about 2 hours in the plant..just soaking in the sights and everything and then we come around and he walks up to a LeMans blue C6 on the line (suspended with everything but the wheels installed)..he points and says 'that's yours..' Yes I am looking at my car...wow being 50+ I felt giddy and 20..what a total cool feeling. She is beautiful I said. And I began my slow walk watching this wonderful machine...point where the tires are mount the fellow with the 5 lug driver motions me over..get to intall one wheel (I know not a big deal but just cool)...later when the car actually for the first time sits on its wheels (car is suspended during most of the production) they run all sorts of diagnostics and then start it..I was motioned over again and given the opportunity to start the car for the first time and then given a certificate of 'birth'..and then shortly later after more QC stuff I started the car again and drove it off the assembly line..I jumped out and did the high five with the guys...this was an experience I will never forget.

I could go on much longer but I think you get the idea...damn this was so worth the trip and I would like to thank my lady (who is joining the forum as HerFirstVette2 and is a true sport car enthusiast, track driver and concours competitor) for encouraging me to go to BG.
Michael

Last edited by C6FirstVette; 10-22-2004 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:10 PM
HiloVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats to you Micheal! And, to herfirstvette2 too!!!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:12 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

I think you're hooked!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:54 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Michael - thanks for the GREAT report- and congrats!
Old 10-22-2004, 11:00 PM
marcar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way cool Michael. Enjoy your car!! Looking forward to the experience at BG next year.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:02 PM
LKicklight
Burning Brakes

Default First Crank

Kevin is everything you say he is. I was there on the 15th to see my C6 White Coupe, with Red Interior, MN6, Z51, 1SA, Polished Wheels. Was fortunate enough to be able to ride through the Dyno Check Out...that was really something..JJ is my new found friend. Today is the 22nd of October, still waiting on the car, Allied told me that it was ready to be loaded and shipped here to Acworth, Ga.
kickback Vin#5790
Dallas, Ga.

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
You have read many an accolade about the BG plant visit, but I can without hesitation say the actual experience of being there far exceeds reading about it. And a truely heart felt thanks and appreciation of Kevin...we spent close to 4 hours today strolling thru the facility and talking about the C6, the plant and anything cars...this guy is such a gentleman and so giving.
Now to some observations...
-the obvious first was if it was not for Kevin and his extra efforts of tracking our vehicles I would have never been able to have this experience!
-I was totally impressed with the folks who work there...this is THEIR car their life their pride...everyone smiled, talked and went out of their way to make me feel as if I have a very special car (which we do)...you just feel good being there
-The manufacturing process is of course fascinating but what impressed me was the total focus on quality control...the C6 production has gotten new special equipment just for the purpose...there is a real intent to make this Vette the best ever and everywhere QC is evident. QC is just everywhere...you can know that when you take delivery of the C6 it has gotten a major oversight to make it the best.
-the C6 is a more complicated car to manufacture over the C5 and takes longer with more people to produce...interesting tid bit..the total conveyor lines (for parts, assemblies etc) for the Vette is 15 miles long under one roof..is very impressive operation.
-YES I wish I could have taken pics but that is a BIG NO NO so I can only share verbage...watching the engines coming together..the chassis being fabricated...dashes..seats..painting (oh yes...saw lots of vert parts painted and the intitail assembly starts next week...just a few a day but verts will be coming off the line then...) the 'marriage line' (chassis/drive train/suspension being mated to the body) just sends tingling thru you..you see an almost complete C6!
-talked to many of the line workers and supervisors...they love talking about the car and in particular seeing someone who has purchased one of their own...way cool!
-Saw a complete chassis come by on a dolly (being pushed along by two fellows)...asked Kevin what that was about.. 'nothing wrong with it but they pull one off on occassion and then completely tear apart..chemically, microscopiclly and mechanically analyze just to make sure what is being produced is correct
-on the line...every color evident except VR..not being produced yet
-saw about a dozen verts outside for delivery...but not to customers..for dealers or 'engineering'..asked about that and was told 'engineering' means they go and just beat the crap out of the car to test endurance, quality etc and then the car is destroyed...ouch!..these were full production verts (sorry you vert buyers..sorta a bad thought to thing about one of these machines being destroyed)

Now to the very personal part for me..been with Kevin about 2 hours in the plant..just soaking in the sights and everything and then we come around and he walks up to a LeMans blue C6 on the line (suspended with everything but the wheels installed)..he points and says 'that's yours..' Yes I am looking at my car...wow being 50+ I felt giddy and 20..what a total cool feeling. She is beautiful I said. And I began my slow walk watching this wonderful machine...point where the tires are mount the fellow with the 5 lug driver motions me over..get to intall one wheel (I know not a big deal but just cool)...later when the car actually for the first time sits on its wheels (car is suspended during most of the production) they run all sorts of diagnostics and then start it..I was motioned over again and given the opportunity to start the car for the first time and then given a certificate of 'birth'..and then shortly later after more QC stuff I started the car again and drove it off the assembly line..I jumbed out and did the high five with the guys...this was an experience I will never forget.

I could go on much longer but I think you get the idea...damn this was so worth the trip and I would like to thank my lady (who is joining the forum as HerFirstVette2 and is a true sport car enthusiast, track driver and concours competitor) for encouraging me to go to BG.
Michael
Old 10-22-2004, 11:33 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Your story was a joy to read. Congratulations and welcome to Corvette heaven. I think it's great for people to see their cars built. I have been on 3 plant tours. I felt like I was in Corvette heaven I hope to get to see mine built next year.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:38 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Congrats...It will be a day you will remember for the rest of your life. Enjoy your new Corvette!!!!!
Old 10-23-2004, 01:03 AM
jjohn918
Drifting

Congrats on the car!!! I had no idea the delivery at BG was that in depth. My mind is definitely made up now to take museum delivery! Be sure to post some pictures when you get the chance!!!

Welcome to the club!!!

-Josh
Old 10-23-2004, 09:14 AM
hd99glide
Advanced

congrats Michael!
When/where do you take delivery?

Joe
Old 10-23-2004, 09:45 AM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Congrats on your C6...
Old 10-23-2004, 11:40 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by jjohn918
Congrats on the car!!! I had no idea the delivery at BG was that in depth. My mind is definitely made up now to take museum delivery! Be sure to post some pictures when you get the chance!!!

Welcome to the club!!!

-Josh
Seeing you car built is not part of museum delivery. Museum delivery is still a great option though.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:57 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hd99glide
congrats Michael!
When/where do you take delivery?

Joe
Criswell in Maryland and should be in about 7-10 days if all goes well..very hard to see your car produced and then drive it and then say goodbye for a week or so...the WAIT has begun
Old 10-23-2004, 08:58 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TRAYC6
Congrats on your C6...
Thanks TrayC...been seeing what you do to your cars..nice work! Hope to keep up with you
Old 10-23-2004, 09:33 PM
barek
Instructor

..very hard to see your car produced and then drive it and then say goodbye for a week or so...the WAIT has begun
Absolutely agreed! It was VERY HARD to get out at the Dyno station and let someone else take it away (off to QC and the "Water Ride")...the last guy on the line asked me why I couldn't just drive it on over to the Museum and have it delivered right away?!! I just had to shrug...

b
Old 10-23-2004, 09:35 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by barek
Absolutely agreed! It was VERY HARD to get out at the Dyno station and let someone else take it away (off to QC and the "Water Ride")...the last guy on the line asked me why I couldn't just drive it on over to the Museum and have it delivered right away?!! I just had to shrug...

b
I imagine that is VERY tough !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Hi All...just got back from BG and a memorable day!!!>>>

Old 10-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Her1stVette2
Heel & Toe

Michael
Finally got my account activated! I'm very much looking forward to seeing the C6 next to the Elise in the newly renovated garage. This will be the first time in the 10 years we've been here that there's not a German made auto in the garage. Looking forward to the new

Ellen
Old 10-24-2004, 11:15 AM
coolcat
Race Director

I could sit or stand at the end of the final assembly line all day and watch new C6's being driven off. Never getting tired or bored. For me the ultimate job would be the guy who gets to drive the completed vettes off the assembly line. NOTHING is more beautiful than a brand spanking new C6!
Old 10-24-2004, 11:24 AM
SafetyAgentMan
Pro

Congratulations, sounds like a great experience.

Would you please elaborate on this statement.

the C6 is a more complicated car to manufacture over the C5 and takes longer with more people to produce

I don't understand why the C6 is more complicated to manufacturer than the C5. Is it because of the increased QC?

Quick Reply: Hi All...just got back from BG and a memorable day!!!>>>