C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaving the C-6 hood up for heat to escape after driving it

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 01:17 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Leaving the C-6 hood up for heat to escape after driving it

Is it ok to do this to let the heat escape everytime I finish driving the car with this C-6 or will I end up draining out the power supply to some hidden bulb or electrical drain accessory? Also will I be wearing out the little lift backs that hold the hood in the up position by doing this all of the time after I drive to let the heat escape? they look like little lifts on a hatchback.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:36 AM
natejohn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just set-up a fan in your garage. Park the vette in frt of it, turn fan on; you could even put it on a timer. Ifn' it's good enuf for F1 cars.....
Old 10-19-2004, 01:54 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by natejohn
Why not just set-up a fan in your garage. Park the vette in frt of it, turn fan on; you could even put it on a timer. Ifn' it's good enuf for F1 cars.....
The heat will escape by rising and I would rather just leave the hood up than turning on another electrical applicance that will drain house current and make noise but I'm still concerned if there will be issues with this car by leaving the hood up because of the 2 possible problems of electrical drainage and wearing out the lifts if they are like the ones in the hatch.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:13 AM
vincent_esq
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

My dad does it to his mercedes and his prior lexus for years, and I did not see any problems as long as there is no light in the hood. However, I was always telling him that the shocks on the hood could go out and cost him money. It never did.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:16 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vincent_esq
My dad does it to his mercedes and his prior lexus for years, and I did not see any problems as long as there is no light in the hood. However, I was always telling him that the shocks on the hood could go out and cost him money. It never did.
I have been doing this on my current car for the last 16 years and all there is a prop rod and I removed the useless light bulb. No problems during this time.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:25 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS WON
Is it ok to do this to let the heat escape everytime I finish driving the car

I don't see any ill effect but am not sure why you want to do this. The car will cool on its own without the hood up and not have any problems.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:31 AM
F.J.B.
Le Mans Master

The hood light is easy to disconnect and reconnect. So do that each time you leave the hood open for an extended period.
Also, there should be an automatic power shutoff after 15 minutes anyhow.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:38 AM
pdvale
Burning Brakes

Is it ok to do this to let the heat escape everytime I finish driving the car with this C-6 or will I end up draining out the power supply to some hidden bulb or electrical drain accessory? Also will I be wearing out the little lift backs that hold the hood in the up position by doing this all of the time after I drive to let the heat escape? they look like little lifts on a hatchback.
Sounds just plain nuts to do this... what exactly is the benefit you are looking for???
Old 10-19-2004, 02:44 AM
KungFu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pdvale
Sounds just plain nuts to do this... what exactly is the benefit you are looking for???
My thoughts exactly. A lil obsessed?
Old 10-19-2004, 02:45 AM
M_C7
Burning Brakes

i agree i dont believe its really necessary unless maybe you were tracking it really hard but even then i dunno.

but then again it cant hurt the car so to each their own thats why we live in a free country
Old 10-19-2004, 06:43 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Heat soak.

There is a thing in the industry known as "heat soak". For the first 10 minutes after you shut down, the engine temperature soars. I've always done a cool down. Pop the hood. On my cycle I turn a small fan on it, enjoy a brew while I wipe a few things off etc. No, you don't need to do this. We give extra to our Corvette's don't we?
And in the Vette, the last mile before home or work, I turn on the air conditioning, (also at long intersections if the heat indicater rises), and this turns on the engine fans.
*Heat soak is caused by the engine still having very hot places and no water circulation.

Last edited by Weasel; 10-19-2004 at 06:52 AM. Reason: *To define "heat soak"
Old 10-19-2004, 07:08 AM
thebiggman
Racer

Its kind of comforting to see your post, because I have done the same thing several times after a long day or night of cruising. Its good to see I'm not the only one.

But, FYB is right there is some type of timer that shuts it off. I found this out one day by raising the hood and going inside for about two hours. When I went back into the garage the hood light was not on, I thought it has burned out or something. So, I closed the hood and then opened it again and the light came on again.

I don't think we have to worry about disconnecting the light or it draining our batteries with the hood up.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:27 AM
blazeone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weasel
There is a thing in the industry known as "heat soak". For the first 10 minutes after you shut down, the engine temperature soars. I've always done a cool down. Pop the hood. On my cycle I turn a small fan on it, enjoy a brew while I wipe a few things off etc. No, you don't need to do this. We give extra to our Corvette's don't we?
And in the Vette, the last mile before home or work, I turn on the air conditioning, (also at long intersections if the heat indicater rises), and this turns on the engine fans.
*Heat soak is caused by the engine still having very hot places and no water circulation.
I raise the hood on the vette and turn the fan on the sport bikes.

Last edited by blazeone; 10-20-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:54 AM
RF LINKUP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Better Yet, Why Not Just Leave The Hood Off, Save 80 Lbs And Go Faster, And I Thought All The Nuts Were In Trees, Gm Probably Doesnt Know Anything About Engine Heat, Thats Probably Why They Put The Hood On Anyway
Old 10-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I do that all the tim ewith my C5. On the C5 the light will go out after approx 12-15 minutes. I disconnected my light.

I have always thought a good idea to let all that heat escape so I alway sopen the hood whenever I park the car in my garage.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:44 AM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

I had a friend with a 1969 426 Hemi Daytona, and this little air intake under the pointy nose...it really liked to overheat on slow cruising around town on a Saturday night. He would pop the hood and run cold water over the radiator for about 10 minutes while he idled before shutting it off and leaving the hood up...
Not unheard of, to leave the hood open after cruising.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by KungFu
I find that changing the air in my tires after every drive extends tire life by over 0.0005%.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaving the C-6 hood up for heat to escape after driving it

Old 10-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

We do it at the track all the time and I've done it after some hard mountain driving. I simply removed the fuse for the hood lights.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:15 AM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by KungFu
Unless you are a little obsessed, you can't appreciate this concept
Old 10-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

your car..do what you want...

Quick Reply: Leaving the C-6 hood up for heat to escape after driving it